• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Oct 25, 2017
Watching the Zio Zero One movie

NkFnZPM.png

honestly surprised I recognized him

TheAggroCraig

One Winged Slayer
Nov 6, 2017
They will either delay the next series, with that potentially having a reduced episode count or cut the episode count of Zero-One.

That wouldn't shock me, but I'm more interested about scenes with a lot of characters on screen at once, extras, etc. I just expect more outdoor shots and fewer/no new shots of crowds.

NeonZ

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
And Zero-One's final(?) form has been revealed by magazine scans, although...
it's actually called Kamen Rider Zero-Two and has a pretty sleek and standard design, like a new base form, rather than the usual power up look.
This is the magazine's cover.
cmdTaf3.jpg

His pose is basically a mirrored version of Rider 2's.

That wouldn't shock me, but I'm more interested about scenes with a lot of characters on screen at once, extras, etc. I just expect more outdoor shots and fewer/no new shots of crowds.

There is some info here
news.yahoo.co.jp

テレ朝系「仮面ライダーゼロワン」、6・1撮影再開へガイドライン作成(サンケイスポーツ) - Yahoo!ニュース

緊急事態宣言が全面解除されてから一夜明けた26日、エンターテインメント業界が再開に向けて本格的に動き出した。テレビ朝日系「仮面ライダーゼロワン」(日曜前9・0)は6月1日の撮影再開に向け、アクショ

Basically, yeah, limiting number of people on set (although the limit is 20 suit actors and Rider rarely gets there anyway), only one person using wires at any one time. Social distance kept outside of actors during shooting.

Last edited:

Kalte

Nov 25, 2017
Just finished watching KR Gaim.
By very far one of the best recent series - if not my new top 1 alongside W. It is just so sood good. Kouta's actor is so believable yet hilarious at times. My new favourite person since Shinkenger's Takeru.

Only flaw was the amount of tie-in / filler episodes (ToQger, KR taisen, Kikkaiger, Summer Movie etc.) which had an unfortunate impact on the flow/momentum of the plot, especially during key episodes, but nothing too major.

Edit : any recommendation for my next series? Anything between Gaim and now, ideally, as I am catching up from older to more recent.

NeonZ

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
Edit : any recommendation for my next series? Anything between Gaim and now, ideally, as I am catching up from older to more recent.

Drive is by W's writer. It starts basically following W's style but the main Rider is a cop rather than a private detective. Halfway through changes to a more serialized format. I think the first half isn't as good as W due to some issues (like giving too much screentime to the secondary cast even though they take more than 10 episodes to start giving them actual characterization beyond comic relief, or robot criminals disguised as humans feeling kind of off compared to human criminals), but overall it's still worth watching. The crossover movie with Gaim is actually a better epilogue for Gaim than the final episode itself too. It's also the first Rider series produced by Ohmori, and this second half has many characteristics of his later series.

Ghost is skippable. It's a pretty mediocre show that suffers from various issues due to having a first timer (main) producer and toku writer. The main cast is kind of bland, and the first few episodes are rushed. The show improves after a while, but completely falls apart later when the main writer leaves for months, but still keeps the main writer position, forcing the secondary writers to make the show spin its wheels during the worst moment for that. Then the main writer returns for a movie tie-in episode and a really rushed final arc.

Ex-Aid is Ohmori's 2nd series. It has very goofy designs and the first few episodes are pretty light, but it actually changes to a running plot style right at the end of the first arc during the early 10s. The cast is pretty great too. I think the 2nd half of the series didn't go far enough with the consequences of what was happening, and the final villain drags on for a bit before the final arc starts, but it doesn't hurt the show much.

Build is probably the closest series to Gaim. It has a very strong running plot with large consequences to the show's world, rather than the usual more self-contained battles which seem to be mostly ignored by the world, and the lead actor also is very good when the show requires more from him later on. The pacing gets kind of sloppy near the ending though.

Zi-O is kind of a mess and features past Riders, so it's not recommended to skip to it. That said, Ex-Aid and Ghost are kind of shafted here anyway (and even Build's presence is only saved by the Heisei Generation Forever movie rather than the tv show itself). Zi-O has a pretty big split on how it handles crossovers in the first and second halves of the series, with the ones in the second half being (generally) much more fun, so most series featured in the beginning of Zi-O end up shafted in the long run.

MHWilliams

Oct 25, 2017
And Zero-One's final(?) form has been revealed by magazine scans, although...
it's actually called Kamen Rider Zero-Two and has a pretty sleek and standard design, like a new base form, rather than the usual power up look.
This is the magazine's cover.
cmdTaf3.jpg

His pose is basically a mirrored version of Rider 2's.

It feels like a Hyper Battle video form, but the timing says Final Form, so... yeah.

Oct 25, 2017
100%

I get the feeling that this will make sense in a more thematic bent, with Zero-Two being Aruto fully becoming his own man, rather than the hand-me-down from his grandfather.
That's probably what they'll do which doesn't sound bad but I don't like that you lose other thematic fluff. His catchphrase "the only one who can stop you etc." doesn't make sense if he's named Zero-Two and you lose the connection to 0s and 1s of binary. Also Zero Two sounds like it'd be more of a different person than an upgrade, especially since it references a guy who took over for the previous person

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
Fourze redeems himself by remebering to pick up Anna in this years concert.

Slayven

Oct 25, 2017
Zero final form....at least they don't have to knock him back to base form in the final fight

Vareon

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, I like that form. It's a pretty neat idea.

I really miss Kiramager, though. The episodes we have so far are pretty good.

NeonZ

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
So what's for Super Hero Time next week?
Still more recaps for two weeks. They've talked about returning in the 2nd half of June, but they're only starting to shoot again now, so they'll have to rush things a lot to get it done even by that time.

Zero two is not the final form is it?

If it weren't for the break it'd be coming around the time where we got the final forms in the last two years, which was already fairly late compared to previous seasons. If there's an official final form even beyond that they'd be basically turning those last minute forms like Rabbit/Dragon and Ohma Zi-O into part of the main toyline.

zeropercent

Teyvat Traveler
May 13, 2020
So it's official that Fuwa's keys are authorised, he just keeps forcing them open because he's doing his henshin in the wrong order, lol.

Yukari

Mar 28, 2018
Thailand
I wonder Lupat will get the Light novel/Manga sequel? There are many unanswered questions.

The Casts seem famous now.

Birdie

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
The coronavirus wouldn't have effected the production of the final form suit explaining why it's so basic would it?

NeonZ

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
I wonder Lupat will get the Light novel/Manga sequel? There are many unanswered questions.

The Casts seem famous now.

Sentai generally just doesn't get that kind of product. They don't have something like Ishinomori Pro which always pushed multimedia products based on the franchise.

The coronavirus wouldn't have effected the production of the final form suit explaining why it's so basic would it?

No, this would be designed months ago considering how they even have a physical suit for the magazine pictures (and none of the parts are actually reused, it's an all new mold). It's just we didn't see it before due to no catalogue leaks.

I think it's possible they want to make final forms fit better with the standard form designs. Over Quartzer shows how oddly all the loud final form designs look when they're put together, so this could be a way to make them more presentable from this point and on in order to give them stronger marketing presence with the show.

TheAggroCraig

One Winged Slayer
Nov 6, 2017
I'm honestly not a big fan of some final suit designs I've seen (looking at you Genius form), so I'm totally fine with Zero-One's as is. It'll still stand out quite a bit and I love the neon so more of that is great.

OP
OP
DioMuller

DioMuller

Oct 25, 2017
Brazil
Just finished JAKQ

What a weird series. It really didn't know what to do, and it's clear nothing was quite working and they tried just about everything. Every 10 episodes or so the series had some kind of change - from a more serious series about depressed cyborgs, then a still more serious series of cyborgs vs Mafia, it's tone got less and less serious until episode 23 - when Big One is introduced - and it becomes more and more like Goranger, and also kinda becomes the Big One show.

Does this mean the series is bad? No! It is weird, but each part has something that makes it worth watching. Pre-10 it is the absurd plots, then the characters get better. After 23, it's Big One.

Of course, every part also has their weakness. Part 1, the characters and monsters are kinda weak. Part 2, the characters get a bit better, but JAKQ starts reusing a lot of plots, and it gets kinda repetitive. Part 3 has the same problem, but Big One helps it to not feel too repetitive.However, the humor is kinda bad, at times, and the series introduces a very annoying character.

I think the repetition is one of the weirdest things. It's clear they wasted a lot of money on the first part of the series - it has two sports cars episodes with chases - and then had to reuse *a lot* of materials. Some monster costumes are reused and kitbashed five or more times... in a 35 episode series.

That said... man, this series has a lot of memorable episodes. The first Clover King focused episode was nice, Dia Jack also had some nice focuses. Big One was amazing on everything, but that's to be expected - at this point I'm pretty sure Hiroshi Miyauchi is actually the character, and the directors just let him be himself. And there is, of course, the infamous Nazi crocodile episode. It's... not as bad as it seems.

So, worth watching? Only if you are ok with a lot of crazyness and have lots of experience with Showa. It has a lot of good moments, but overrall, it's a messy series. Not the worst sentai, I still think Goggle V is worse by far, but still, there are many, many things more worth watching before it, even in showa. That said, if you watch Goranger, this is a good follow-up to it. It even has a crossover movie!

NeonZ

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
So, it's confirmed Zero-One and Kirameiger are returning on the 21th. For Zero-One it will be episode 35.5 though, showing Metsuboujinrai's backstory, but with many new scenes shot after production resumed.

www.tv-asahi.co.jp

ニュース|仮面ライダーゼロワン|テレビ朝日

テレビ朝日「仮面ライダーゼロワン」番組公式サイト

In addition to that, Ark's emissary, the long haired Izu from the President's specials, who is now officially known as "Azu", appears before the Metsuboujinrai group.

zeroone_202006_01.jpg

OP
OP
DioMuller

DioMuller

Oct 25, 2017
Brazil
And today, watched JAKQ vs Goranger.

It's a weird movie, only one Goranger shows out of suit - and it's not even Aoranger, that *is* in the movie, but as Big One, it's Momo!

Anyway, good production values, the practical effects are awesome. It's pretty much a fanservice episode, so yeah, worth watching. Nice way to finish the Goranger + JAKQ run.

WillyFive

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
And today, watched JAKQ vs Goranger.

It's a weird movie, only one Goranger shows out of suit - and it's not even Aoranger, that *is* in the movie, but as Big One, it's Momo!

Anyway, good production values, the practical effects are awesome. It's pretty much a fanservice episode, so yeah, worth watching. Nice way to finish the Goranger + JAKQ run.

They probably hadn't thought of putting in the actor's contracts that they need to belong to Toei for two years instead of just during production of their show yet.

jwk94

Oct 25, 2017
Finally catching up on Zero One. I think I'm on ep 16? Thouser just mopped the floor with the flower arranging dude. This season's great. That said, coming off watching Kuuga, the constant power ups are super obvious and annoying. Also, there aren't many notable side characters. That said, suit designs are great. I love Izu and Aruto (when he's not being loud), and it's always a pleasure watching Valkyrie fight.

OP
OP
DioMuller

DioMuller

Oct 25, 2017
Brazil
They probably hadn't thought of putting in the actor's contracts that they need to belong to Toei for two years instead of just during production of their show yet.

Yeah, probably. Some actors do some new voice work, so maybe it was also a schedule thing?
Guess they didn't want to give two roles to Hiroshi Miyauchi too.

Slayven

Oct 25, 2017
It took me a while but i finally got Zero 2 is a play on Kamen rider 2

NeonZ

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
One of the first pictures we got of Zero Two (I even posted it up there) showed him doing a mirrored version of Rider 2's pose.

Slayven

Oct 25, 2017
Watching an old jdrama and love interest is Sen from dekaranger and a supporting character is "HAPPY BIRTHDAY!" from 000s

Mewzard

Feb 4, 2018
So, for those of you who enjoy Linkara, have this little gem of a review:

A return to Burai, for the last time.

NeonZ

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
And the title specifically uses kanji
for "holy sword", pointing to some kind of divine/magic theme.

Birdie

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I'm thinking the pun for the name is also...

savior too, since I think the Japanese pronunciation is close enough to saber...

Maybe a holy knight I guess? IXA as a main Rider?

jwk94

Oct 25, 2017
So these last few episodes of Beast Morphers leading up to the teamup have been pretty good. There's been a lot of connection to previous seasons.

- Devon asks Nate for his ranger archive books to see if there's anything he can use to separate his dad and Evox. He reads about Dillion's (RPM Black Ranger) situation and contacts Dr. K. She's looking good for herself and they wrote her very well! She tells him that Dillion's situation was different, but the Dino Charge rangers used a separation device to free Xenowing from Doomwing so that might work. Devon eventually uses it to free his dad. End of that episode.

EafDllEUEAEP9vn

- Nate has a Ranger Vault where he stores past rangers' weapons and morphers. He said he used them to build some of the team's weapons, which is super apparent once you look at everything he has.

Ranger Vault

- Gavan popped up for two episodes. He's called Captain Chaku. His suit looks weird in US footage. It's a lot less shiny. But, his fight scenes with the rangers were nice. He was chasing after a guy named Rhijack. Rhijack's a dangerous relic hunter who's after Nate's Ranger Vault. Rhijack also has a device that reanimates monsters. He uses this to bring back the Putties and Vivix to fight the rangers and help with his plans

- Rhijack uses a device he found in the ruins of Andresia (Orion's home planet) to make himself grow and we get our megazord fight. Captain Chaku gets his Lizard ship thing to help defeat Rhijack. He goes home to be with his daughter. Oh and in the middle of the fight, Rhijack drops the reanimator and Scrozzle nabs it. So that will probably be used to bring back whatever past villains for tomorrow's teamup.

A lot of the stuff in the Gavan two-parter could've been a great setup for a Lupin x Pat season.

The real Blaze and Roxi are still nowhere to be found smh.