• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

chaobreaker

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017

Cute that Tsuburaya is getting kids to follow quarantine procedures but the mouth gargling thing will go over the head of anyone that doesn't live in an East Asia country. It's almost impossible to buy the kinds of conventional iodine gargling product they use in Japan here.

TheAggroCraig

One Winged Slayer
Nov 6, 2017
I assume they blew the budget on that intro based on the videos above... god those are painful to watch.

Oct 25, 2017
Kiramager 6

Man, these monsters really are Showa as hell. This one had a visible bulge.
Also, hi Goushi.
Mio Kudo has shown way more range here as Sayo than all 35 or so episodes of Kamen Rider Ghost she appeared in.

Zero-One 31

Looks like Jin is edging closer to "good guy". Is Horobi going to do anything again?
I do like the idea of Aruto basically being a HumaGear counselor. "Do what you want cause you're free"

NeonZ

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
Hopefully, Bandai realized they were dumb by underestimating the appeal of a franchise crossover with Zi-O (there are many indications, from their low expectations for the series in their financial reports to how low budget they went with some elements like the non-show armors which didn't even get unique animations in Ganbarizing, in spite of being added months late). Climax Fighters also was the smallest upgrade over the last game since Climax Heroes -> Climax Heroes W (and W only had a few months, not a year). The next year is the 50th anniversary and could be a pretty good moment to release something big.

Last edited:

Vareon

Oct 25, 2017
I want the dungeon crawling one, it looked inoffensive and what could go wrong with a dungeon crawler anyway. Too bad this is from before Bandai Namco translates their game into English for Asian release.

www.youtube.com

Lost Heroes - Trailer 2 JP - 3DS PSP

Please show your support by subscribing to our channelDon't forget to click on the bell icon to get notified when we post new videos ;)For more videos, pleas...

Sandfox

Oct 25, 2017
Hopefully, Bandai realized they were dumb by underestimating the appeal of a franchise crossover with Zi-O (there are many indications, from their low expectations for the series in their financial reports to how low budget they went with some elements like the non-show armors which didn't even get unique animations in Ganbarizing, in spite of being added months late). Climax Fighters also was the smallest upgrade over the last game since Climax Heroes -> Climax Heroes W (and this one only had a few months, not year). The next year is the 50th anniversary and could be a pretty good moment to release something big.
I feel like modern Toei/Bandai are just in money saving mode in general.

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
So another of those kamen rider ultraman gundam crossovers? Those suck
latest

CoolestSpot

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Hopefully, Bandai realized they were dumb by underestimating the appeal of a franchise crossover with Zi-O (there are many indications, from their low expectations for the series in their financial reports to how low budget they went with some elements like the non-show armors which didn't even get unique animations in Ganbarizing, in spite of being added months late). Climax Fighters also was the smallest upgrade over the last game since Climax Heroes -> Climax Heroes W (and this one only had a few months, not year). The next year is the 50th anniversary and could be a pretty good moment to release something big.
REMAKE

CLIMAX HEROES FOR WII

BUT EVERY RIDER SINCE THEN, AND A FEW CAMEOS

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto, ON
When it comes to Kamen Rider and Ultraman, I've only seen the original KR, KR Black, and Ultraman Nexus. If I want something else that skews a little more serious/darker, what should I check out? I don't mind if it's a bit toyetic and such.

NeonZ

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
When it comes to Kamen Rider and Ultraman, I've only seen the original KR, KR Black, and Ultraman Nexus. If I want something else that skews a little more serious/darker, what should I check out? I don't mind if it's a bit toyetic and such.

Do you mean darker than those series? X is probably the darkest Showa tv series, although the monster designs in the 2nd half get goofy. The early Heisei series from Kuuga to Blade are all pretty serious and dark, and generally actually sustain that atmosphere throughout, with the humor being fairly down to earth. Among more recent series, Gaim and Build start quite goofy but actually have tons of plot movement throughout and end up with really dire serious scenarios later on. There's also Amazons, a shorter series aimed at adult fans (and homage to Amazon, but completely unrelated plot-wise) that has a constant dark and gritty atmosphere throughout, with almost no moments of levity.

I haven't watched enough Ultraman to really make recommendations there. I guess depending on what you mean by "serious/darker" even the OG Ultraman and UltraSeven could work. UltraSeven also leads to bunch of Seven focused spin-offs which were mostly made for older audiences (and are directly connected to it story-wise, so you need to watch the original unlike with Amazons).

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto, ON
Do you mean darker than those series? X is probably the darkest Showa tv series, although the monster designs in the 2nd half get goofy. The early Heisei series from Kuuga to Blade are all pretty serious and dark, and generally actually sustain that atmosphere throughout, with the humor being fairly down to earth. Among more recent series, Gaim and Build start quite goofy but actually have tons of plot movement throughout and end up with really dire serious scenarios later on. There's also Amazons, a shorter series aimed at adult fans (and homage to Amazon, but completely unrelated plot-wise) that has a constant dark and gritty atmosphere throughout, with almost no moments of levity.

I haven't watched enough Ultraman to really make recommendations there. I guess depending on what you mean by "serious/darker" even the OG Ultraman and UltraSeven could work. UltraSeven also leads to bunch of Seven focused spin-offs which were mostly made for older audiences (and are directly connected to it story-wise, so you need to watch the original unlike with Amazons).

Ah, I didn't necessarily mean darker than those, just on the same level as Black, Nexus, etc. (or something like Garo). I don't mind levity at all, just want a bit more oompf than your average children's henshin show. Is Amazons actually good? I'm reading mixed things.

NeonZ

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
Ah, I didn't necessarily mean darker than those, just on the same level as Black, Nexus, etc. (or something like Garo). I don't mind levity at all, just want a bit more oompf than your average children's henshin show. Is Amazons actually good? I'm reading mixed things.

The first season is generally considered good, the 2nd one has mixed reactions.

The movie is kind of weird, most of it feels like a random and slow side-story, but then it has a climax thrown in the last 10 or so minutes that mostly closes the plotlines of the two main Amazons. The actual climax is pretty great, but it feels out of place in that story, and everything before just felt boring and try-hard.

OP
OP
DioMuller

DioMuller

Oct 25, 2017
Brazil

Try RX! It's a direct sequel to Black and, while a bit goofier, still plenty dark. Then, continue with Kuuga and Agito, those are probably close to what you want. Build is also a good suggestion for Rider.

If you want to try Sentai, Jetman and Timerangers are good choices.

RealTravisty

Mar 29, 2018
I'm now on Kamen Rider Build episode 44. A quick question about Gentoku...

What the hell is going on with his sudden...quirkiness? I know that people's personalities changed because of the exposure to Pandora's Box. So was Gentoku just a humongous doofus prior to that? The change was so sudden that it almost made me feel like it was character assassination to make him more appealing to kids. It was such a jarring shift from struggling to get up and passing out to...showing up in ridiculous clothing in the next episode. His shirts expressing his answers are a funny gimmick now, but man...what a strange road to take with this guy.

NeonZ

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017

What the hell is going on with his sudden...quirkiness? I know that people's personalities changed because of the exposure to Pandora's Box. So was Gentoku just a humongous doofus prior to that? The change was so sudden that it almost made me feel like it was character assassination to make him more appealing to kids. It was such a jarring shift from struggling to get up and passing out to...showing up in ridiculous clothing in the next episode. His shirts expressing his answers are a funny gimmick now, but man...what a strange road to take with this guy.

You can see him before the box in the first episode of the Rogue mini-series, he had some goofy stuff (mainly going to karaoke) but not as much as played out later. I think part of it was specifically for that two parter with the different outfits and then the shirts.

Most of those two episodes were very exposition heavy, so I guess they thought they needed some humor to balance all that talking, and it fell to Gentoku as a way to make him feel closer to the group since he had no friendly dynamic with the rest of the cast before that. The shirt gimmick continues afterwards, but nowhere as heavy as in those two episodes.

Last edited:

PhoenixAKG

Aug 14, 2019

I think the actor requested Gentoku be more goofy as his original character scared his daughter or something. But yeah I don't like it as it really comes out of no where and with all the struggles and stuff he's been through and done this change seems to undermine and ignore them completely. It doesn't fit his character arc at all.

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
I mean Gai is even getting his ass kicked by dead people now

RealTravisty

Mar 29, 2018
You can see him before the box in the first episode of the Rogue mini-series, he had some goofy stuff (mainly going to karaoke) but not as much as played out later. I think part of it was specifically for that two parter with the different outfits and then the shirts.

Most of those two episodes were very exposition heavy, so I guess they thought they needed some humor to balance all that talking, and it fell to Gentoku as a way to make him feel closer to the group since he had no friendly dynamic with the rest of the cast before that. The shirt gimmick continues afterwards, but nowhere as heavy as in those two episodes.
I think the actor requested Gentoku be more goofy as his original character scared his daughter or something. But yeah I don't like it as it really comes out of no where and with all the struggles and stuff he's been through and done this change seems to undermine and ignore them completely. It doesn't fit his character arc at all.

Ahhh, that makes sense now. I haven't watched the Rogue mini-series, and the situation with the daughter...hasn't that happened in another tokusatsu before? I mean, it's a good reason, I just wish that the writers put it into the show better. I agree that his character isn't looking so great in my eyes at the moment with his goals disappearing into thin air.

Well, we'll see what happens next. Tomorrow I'll watch episode 45 and then the movie.

Birdie

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Gentoku fucking owns in the end.

(Watch the Grease V-Cinema for the culmination of the t-shirt gag it's beautiful)

Wanderer5

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Somewhere.
Gai is getting his ass kicked repeatedly now, and I am just like, eh. Probably really tired of the character now lol.

OP
OP
DioMuller

DioMuller

Oct 25, 2017
Brazil
Kiramei 07

If every episode before was developing each character separatedly, this one is both a red focus, a team episode and a bit of villain focus too. Nice mecha battle, and still a very modern-showa show - the energy drink thing feels like it comes straight out of Goranger.