• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

NeonZ

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
How big of a niche is Tokusatsu is my question? It seems growing more then I'd expect tbh, which is weird cause besides garo and amazon I dont know many made for 20+ age range

Kamen Rider has traditionally had an older fanbase too in spite of the show itself targeting children/families, which is why sometimes you get stuff like the Rogue mini-series that blatantly does stuff they couldn't get away with in a tv series for children, even though it's directly tied to the tv show Build. In Japan, Kamen Rider is Bandai's second most profitable licensing brand nowadays, only behind Gundam (which is entirely owned by Bandai), although when you add worldwide numbers Dragonball also beats it.

Movies generally hover around 1billion to 1.5 billion yen in Japanese box office, which is good considering how low budget they obviously are (and there seems to be a hard cap for super hero movies in Japan, even Marvel's movies have trouble breaching 2 billion yen, and End Game hit around 5 billion yen, which is high compared to the others, but still nowhere near the top of Japan's box office).

Outside of Japan tokusatsu in general is still a very minor niche though. Rider obviously has little presence in spite of becoming more known online. Power Rangers is around but far from its former peak, although nowadays thanks to the comics you have more products for older fans.

Last edited:

Birdie

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
vgS4XSE.jpg

My Ghost duds in Animal Crossing

(also I realize Dark Ghost is just switching Ghost to the the inverted palette)

CoolestSpot

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Kamen Rider has traditionally had an older fanbase too in spite of the show itself targeting children/families, which is why sometimes you get stuff like the Rogue mini-series that blatantly does stuff they couldn't get away with in a tv series for children, even though it's directly tied to the tv show Build. In Japan, Kamen Rider is Bandai's second most profitable licensing brand nowadays, only behind Gundam (which is entirely owned by Bandai), although when you add worldwide numbers Dragonball also beats it.

Movies generally hover around 1billion to 1.5 billion yen in Japanese box office, which is good considering how low budget they obviously are (and there seems to be a hard cap for super hero movies in Japan, even Marvel's movies have trouble breaching 2 billion yen, and End Game hit around 5 billion yen, which is high compared to the others, but still nowhere near the top of Japan's box office).

Outside of Japan tokusatsu in general is still a very minor niche though. Rider obviously has little presence in spite of becoming more known online. Power Rangers is around but far from its former peak, although nowadays thanks to the comics you have more products for older fans.
Holy shit. That's huge money its bringing in viewership and movie wise. I guess makes sense how much studios handle it then. I just want a spirits anime. Is there any reason no kamen rider anime exists even as a streaming exclusive? Seems like it be successful spin off.

I'm still upset they dropped the fighting game off wii, they could've ported and updated that game to this day and itd be poppin.

NeonZ

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
My Ghost duds in Animal Crossing

(also I realize Dark Ghost is just switching Ghost to the the inverted palette)

Neat. Although I guess going by other screens there's no way to make a helmet with a custom texture?

Holy shit. That's huge money its bringing in viewership and movie wise. I guess makes sense how much studios handle it then. I just want a spirits anime. Is there any reason no kamen rider anime exists even as a streaming exclusive? Seems like it be successful spin off.
I'm pretty sure that's due to Toei. Look at Kikaider, another series originating from an Ishinomori manga that got a Toei Toku. We only got an anime based on it after decades of Toei barely touching the franchise.

They also apparently blocked Disney from making a Power Rangers cartoon (although this later one is all hearsay since it's just based on leaks). They seem to have no issue with manga or comics, but they seem to think that an anime might hurt the actual on-going franchise somehow.

Birdie

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Yeah I don't think you can make helmets...there's basic hats.

And you can face paint but it just covers like under your eyes and forehead.

CoolestSpot

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Neat. Although I guess going by other screens there's no way to make a helmet with a custom texture?

I'm pretty sure that's due to Toei. Look at Kikaider, another series originating from an Ishinomori manga that got a Toei Toku. We only got an anime based on it after decades of Toei barely touching the franchise.

They also apparently blocked Disney from making a Power Rangers cartoon (although this later one is all hearsay since it's just based on leaks). They seem to have no issue with manga or comics, but they seem to think that an anime might hurt the actual on-going franchise somehow.
Sucks cause I love the kikaider anime.

How likely is it Japanese spiderman comes into a kamen rider movie? Last dumb question I swear

Terraforce

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I'm a couple episodes behind so i'm only just now seeing episode 28 of Zero-one. They really had to make the black guy a rapper, huh?

Wait decade is pretty hated right? How does Zi-O compare?
Zi-O is much better. The ending and Ginga arc are particularly controversial, but for the most part reception was far more positive than with Decade. Far less formulaic, better characters, and the callbacks to the original series were far superior to Decade.

CoolestSpot

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm a couple episodes behind so i'm only just now seeing episode 28 of Zero-one. They really had to make the black guy a rapper, huh?

Zi-O is much better. The ending and Ginga arc are particularly controversial, but for the most part reception was far more positive than with Decade. Far less formulaic, better characters, and the callbacks to the original series were far superior to Decade.
The Black Guy being a rapper was iffy, but there was oddly a lot of accidental commentary in that episode. With how people view the rapper as joke initially, to trying to ruin him by making him fall into an "angry black man" stereotype so they can disregard him. Still, I'm terrible of 90 percent of the time there is a black character in japanese media I consume they're a rapper.

DragonSJG

Banned
Mar 4, 2019

Isn't Kamen Rider more of an all ages series? IIRC, they had crossovers with Gundam and Ultraman

Oct 25, 2017
Kamen Rider (1971) Episode 1

Is it possible to find something unsettling and cheesy?
Some of the shots looked straight out of a horror movie, but then we got the fighting and hoo boy was it silly.
And I see that "MISUNDERSTANDINGS" have always been a staple of Kamen Rider.

Sibersk Esto

Changed the hierarchy of thread titles
Oct 25, 2017
So I was thinking of dipping into Toku. For Kamen Rider I was thinking of starting with the Amemiya duology (ZO, J), and then working through Kuuga and Agito. For Super Sentai I was thinking of starting with the 90s series (Jetman, Zyuranger, and Dairanger).

Any recs of which series to go with from those?

Last edited:
OP
OP
DioMuller

DioMuller

Oct 25, 2017
Brazil
^ Ohhh, I like that! Never got those clothes, but I got a Power Helmet and Boots, heh.

So I was thinking of dipping into Toku. For Kamen Rider I was thinking of starting with the Amemiya duology (ZO, J), and then working through Kuuga and Agito. For Super Sentai I was thinking of starting with the 90s series (Jetman, Zyuranger, and Dairanger).

Any recs of which series to go with from those?

Jetman is a great start for sentai! If you like it, you may like some of the 80s series (Dynaman, Liveman) that, while not as drama-centric, have *similar* settings.

For Rider, nothing I've watched are close to Kuuga, or Agito for that matter, but Black and RX may be good watches if you like those. Try Build too, it's more modern Rider but really good!

Terraforce

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
The Black Guy being a rapper was iffy, but there was oddly a lot of accidental commentary in that episode. With how people view the rapper as joke initially, to trying to ruin him by making him fall into an "angry black man" stereotype so they can disregard him. Still, I'm terrible of 90 percent of the time there is a black character in japanese media I consume they're a rapper.
That's a good point, but the last we see of him was just an angry black man lol. They couldn't even manage to redeem him like they've done almost every other Humagear.

Oct 25, 2017
Hopefully Zero-One's final form is what does him in.
If he's going to just stick around to be a punching bag, then what's the point?

NeonZ

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
The actual final villain should appear in two or three weeks, so we'll see what they will do about Gai. I doubt he will be eliminated though, considering how he stars in the Blu-ray mini-series.

Sandfox

Oct 25, 2017
Hopefully Zero-One's final form is what does him in.
If he's going to just stick around to be a punching bag, then what's the point?
He probably should've lost to MCH with the competition sped up to make the debut at the end and then have the villain focus switch, but eh. One issue is that it's looking like Zero-One is going to have a super late final form debut.

NeonZ

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
He probably should've lost to MCH with the competition sped up to make the debut at the end and then have the villain focus switch, but eh. One issue is that it's looking like Zero-One is going to have a super late final form debut.

Pretty sure that will be the standard now, considering how it seemed to help the sales of Build's and Zi-O's final quarters. The final form now only seems to come out right at the end of q3.

RealTravisty

Mar 29, 2018
Figured I should write this out in this topic instead of the other topic asking for Kamen Rider suggestions. I don't think I've posted much in here, anyway...

I've been very on and off with Sentai and Kamen Rider. I watched my first Sentai in 2011 because I'm a samurai nerd and Power Rangers Samurai wasn't out at the time. (Maybe it was 2010?) I jumped down the rabbit hole with Samurai Sentai Shinkenger and was absolutely blown away by how different yet similar it was to Mighty Morphin' Power Rangers. I've seen various episodes of Dekaranger, Gokaiger and Kyoryuger but I didn't finish any of them, making Shinkenger my only finished Sentai series.

I ended up making friends who liked Kamen Rider. I wanted to try Decade because of the Shinkenger/Decade crossover, but I was discouraged since it was some sort of anniversary series. My first attempt with the series would be Kamen Rider Wizard, whose design looked badass but....yeah, let's not talk about Wizard. My first completed series was Gaim (can you guess why?) and I absolutely enjoyed the weekly insanity and chaos that occurred. My next series would be Ex-Aid. I was going to follow that weekly, but after the first or second episode with Asuna(?)'s transformation into Poppy, I couldn't take it and stopped. It took a lot of convincing for me to continue the series, and I'm glad I did.

With this pandemic situation, I decided to tackle two series that I was curious about: Lupinranger vs. Patranger and Kamen Rider Build. I've been watching 2 episodes a day for both, so I'm 30 episodes in.

The themes of series are generally what gets me interested in watching them, and the cops and robbers concept was always intriguing to me. I heard a lot about how there's clear favouritism with the Lupinrangers over the Patrangers, but to my surprise it only really started bothering me recently, with the Lupinrangers getting yet another VS vehicle after getting Magic. At least Kairi seemed upset about it, but with the episodic nature of this series, I don't expect that to last.

I do find myself preferring the Patrangers over the Lupinrangers, but that's mainly because I really like Keiichiro. He's got the hot-blooded nature of Ban, but he's also incredibly earnest/sincere. I think he might end up being my favourite Red Sentai ranger so far. Even though Tsukasa was the first one to suspect the cafe trio of being the Lupinranger, I have a feeling that it'll be Keiichiro who ends up figuring it out.

Speaking of Tsukasa, I won't lie, I've got a major crush on her actress, which is a small reason that I wanted to watch the series. I'm not sure how common the "tough woman who secretly loves cute stuff" trope is throughout Sentai, but thankfully it's not overdone here. She's pretty competent, and one of my favourite episodes so far is the one that goes into her past with her grandfather, and how she decides to work together with Lupin Red. I think I've liked all of her focus episodes so far, and I'm hoping for more.

Sakuya is...Sakuya. I can't say I care for him very much. I mean, I get why he's there, but...yeah, I can't care for this kid. I may as well throw Jim Carter and Hilltop in here too. They're good for what they are. It's nice to see a black man in a boss position, even if it feels like he's there to teach kids English phrases.

As for the Lupinranger, Kairi's growing on me. I don't have much to say about him. Touma would be incredibly boring if the series allowed him to remain the cool, brooding one, but thankfully they've taken the opportunities to break that down and humiliate him as well, so it makes his actor a lot more impressive to me. The Gangler body switching and aerobics episodes were absolute gold. Umika...yeah, I can't say I care for her much either. She seems like she's just there to be cute, but I do understand that her actress is pretty popular. Screw that, I'm team Tsukasa!

Noel...I mean, he's okay. Honestly, I love his Lupin-X and Patren-X costumes a lot. They look much cooler than the originals.

I was really hoping for Power Rangers to do this series next. I love the CG mecha battles, and the drone cameras they were using a lot in earlier episodes were really neat. I do think Power Rangers can make this work, so I hope they go back to it when they're done with the Ryusolger adaptation.

I save Build for last after the aimless fun of Lupinranger vs Patranger.

Let me just say, I LOVE how tight the story is! As a wannabe novelist, this was one of the factors that led me to deciding to watch this. Every episode builds (heh) on the previous, with a new revelation or powerup. It makes for such a good watch! I was immediately drawn into the potential of the three different groups within Japan, and I knew a war would happen. It didn't happen the way I thought it would, but it was alright.

Sento is my favourite Kamen Rider protagonist by far. A thing with me is that I usually don't like protagonists very much. Kamen Rider Gaim's Kouta was suffering and dealing with the transition into adulthood, but what bothered me a lot about him was that the DJ just kept giving him powerups, so they didn't feel very earned. Granted, the odds were stacked against him, but what I like about Sento in comparison is that he's usually heavily involved in his own powerups. On the other hand, Kamen Rider Ex-Aid's Emu does come across as a more traditional hero, which makes sense: He's a doctor. But he was just too much of a...how can I describe this...a boy scout, I guess? I just couldn't get excited about him.

In comparison, Sento gradually discovering who he used to be makes for a much more compelling story, and he's such a layered character as well. He's someone who's trying to do the right thing, yet he can still be incredibly petty and arrogant, but not overbearingly so. There's a balance to him that I really appreciate it, and I think that's thanks to his actor as well. Plus, Build's design is just so cool looking, and looking forward to what he would combine next made it such an addicting watch in the early episodes. It's only occurred to me now, but the other Kamen Rider series I watched involved plenty of Riders, so this time I can see where the budget is going now that there's less Riders. I'm not sure which I prefer, but I like it like this. Ninja x Comic (for the abilities/design) and Hedgehog x Fire Truck (for the design) are my favourites.

As a secondary rider, Ryuuga took me by surprise. He was an annoyance who acted purely on his emotions in the early episodes, and I'm not sure why, but I almost gave up on the idea of him becoming a Rider. The wait was worth it, as CrossZ's first design might be one of my favourite Rider designs, period. I'm also loving the bromance between Sento and Ryuuga. It's something I haven't really seen compared to Gaim and Ex-Aid, and they really do bring out the best in each other. To be honest, lately I was worried about Ryuuga. He seemed to be going down the typical path of a Secondary Rider, jobbing and demorphing all the time. Since I hit episode 30, it looks like he's about to step into the spotlight and become stronger again. Thank goodness.

Honestly, there's a lot that I love about Kamen Rider Build, so I'll just go into what I don't like.

I wasn't a fan of how the Touto vs Hokuto battle went down. I know there's a bitter sweetness to how Sento still looks to Soichi/Stalk as a guiding father figure in his darkest moments, but being handed all of those bottles and the Hazard Trigger just reminded me of what I didn't like about Kamen Rider Gaim. When a character is in a dark place, I prefer for them to dig out of them with their own strengths, not merely being handed a powerup to solve their problems. Of course, the Hazard Trigger isn't without its flaws, but as you can imagine the conclusion of the Seito battles was much more satisfying to me. Not going to lie, they almost had me with the Sawa betrayal yet again.

I want to complain about Stalk, but it looks like that'll be getting addressed soon too.

This is already going on for way too long, so I'll just conclude by saying this: I want Miitan to be my idol too.

NeonZ

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
With this pandemic situation, I decided to tackle two series that I was curious about: Lupinranger vs. Patranger and Kamen Rider Build. I've been watching 2 episodes a day for both, so I'm 30 episodes in.

As far as the Lupinranger favoritism goes, you can see it in the basic set up of the series. The Lupinranger have to be involved in every episode to steal the collection, while the Patranger are throw away and can be ignored in some episodes. Some later episodes of Dekaranger also go surprisingly far into crime drama writing, something that never really happens with Lupinranger vs Patranger, since the narrative is more built around the Lupinranger. And, yeah, later in the show they also get preferential treatment as far as new mecha and power ups go.

RealTravisty

Mar 29, 2018
As far as the Lupinranger favoritism goes, you can see it in the basic set up of the series. The Lupinranger have to be involved in every episode to steal the collection, while the Patranger are throw away and can be ignored in some episodes. Some later episodes of Dekaranger also go surprisingly far into crime drama writing, something that never really happens with Lupinranger vs Patranger, since the narrative is more built around the Lupinranger. And, yeah, later in the show they also get preferential treatment as far as new mecha and power ups go.
That's really disappointing...
I'll try and rewatch/finish Dekaranger after this.

NeonZ

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
The way the newest episode of Zero-One was directed makes it seem like
Yua is outright brainwashed by her brain chip. She seemed to have headaches when disagreeing with her orders, and there was even a digital/tv effect at one point during one her flashes.

Oct 28, 2017
Fuwa's actor asked to incorporate a big spin kick into his latest transformation, which is so fucking cool.

The video of him discussing it has English subs, so you can enjoy him getting really excited over it.

Last edited:
OP
OP
DioMuller

DioMuller

Oct 25, 2017
Brazil
Kiramei 06

Ohhh, another way of doing the giant monsters, cool! They are really experimenting with that, and it's good development for the scientist guy too!

I'm also watching Goranger now, and it's very cool how Kiramei's monsters are pretty much a modern version of what Goranger's monsters were back then - a big mask and a normal costume, most of times with a cape, heh. I like it, it's simple and works! The monsters up to now were creative and had fun gimmicks. Garza is a pretty menacing and active field commander, which is nice.

Like what they did with yellow too! Never expected him to be the strategist, but it works so well!

This episode just proves that Ghost just didn't use their actors well, heh. So strange to see Kanon... well, acting!

And again, this team is so good! I feel it's safe enough to say they'll have to mess both the extra ranger and the enemies pretty hard for this to not be the best sentai in a some time.

Mr. Mug

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Maybe Zaia isn't doing that well.

It's also quite likely that they still still need the chip to transform and this might be quite an expensive procedure on top of needing to find people. Of course the real reason is probably just not having more than two of the suit but there's some plot reasons as well for why Gai might not be able to have a whole army just yet too.

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
It's also quite likely that they still still need the chip to transform and this might be quite an expensive procedure on top of needing to find people. Of course the real reason is probably just not having more than two of the suit but there's some plot reasons as well for why Gai might not be able to have a whole army just yet too.
I was thinking the ZAIA spec was in place of a chip.

NeonZ

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017

It's weird because their suit reuses parts from the movie grunts, but I guess it's possible they don't have many copies of the legs, which are shared with the other Raiders. They might have been reusing the same set of legs for all of them so far.

Birdie

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
What Toku stuff should I buy with my stimulus check? I finally have some extra money and wanna buy like a belt...

The CSM Garren Belt is calling my name.