• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
Is it a hot take to just vastly prefer Fuwa to Aruto at this point? Even when he was jobbing every week he did it with initiative and conviction while Aruto sat in his office being sad he forgot Izu can record evidence
He is the only good guy being proactive

DragonSJG

Banned
Mar 4, 2019
Aruto has Metal Cluster Hopper and Thouser still barely gets thrashed
This arc was way too repetitive and predictable

Vareon

Oct 25, 2017
Is it a hot take to just vastly prefer Fuwa to Aruto at this point? Even when he was jobbing every week he did it with initiative and conviction while Aruto sat in his office being sad he forgot Izu can record evidence

Fuwa is much more challenged than Aruto at this point and Aruto did so little to rise up to his challenges. As far as I know he's the best boy in the show now.

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
I was thinking about this earlier, when was the last time a Rider had the resources Aruto had? I think it kinda underminds the concept of being a Kamen Rider.

NeonZ

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
I was thinking about this earlier, when was the last time a Rider had the resources Aruto had? I think it kinda underminds the concept of being a Kamen Rider.
Yeah, (main) Riders are traditionally enemies of organizations, from the old villain groups like Shocker to something like SmartBrain or Zect. Even when there are friends, they're still that close group, rather than part of a larger entity. Ohmori seems to mostly disregard that though. Drive was a cop, then Genm Corp. supported the Ex-Aid Riders (although this only lasts less than one quarter) and now Zero-One is a company president. His Riders are often tied to big organizations.

He pushes several other Rider traditions pretty well, but in that front he seems to blatantly disregard them.

Oct 25, 2017
Aruto on his knees and begging Gai for mercy. Yua still playing the role of an obedient dog trying desperately to win her master's approval. Meanwhile Fuwa completely steals the show and I'm upset that this show isn't named after him.

I was so afraid going into this show that Fuwa was just going to be another early antagonist for the hero and turn out as flat as Specter and Geiz but I'm really pleased to see that despite this show utterly dropping the ball with a bunch of other characters, Fuwa is easily a highlight of the show and one of my favourite secondary Riders. Granted there's still a lot of show left to go but I can't see anyone topping my boy Fuwa.

NeonZ

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
Aruto on his knees and begging Gai for mercy. Yua still playing the role of an obedient dog trying desperately to win her master's approval.

Nah. She's trying to convince herself that she's doing it all out of her own will, rather than just being used as a tool by Gai. Although she's obviously lying to herself, which is why she's a mess right now. The main issue is that they should have been pushing this conflict for a while now, not just this episode. Beforehand, it just seemed like she disliked what Gai was doing but still followed him for some unknown reason, with no hint that she was trying to convince herself that she actually agreed with Gai.

OP
OP
DioMuller

DioMuller

Oct 25, 2017
Brazil
Kirameiger 04

Ohhh, another nice, showa-like plot (enemy fakes his heel turn to the weakest link). Oh, and hell yeah, didn't expect a train battle again so soon, after ToQ. And then that direct-to-mech battle, like Go-Busters did at times. This is like... Toei is learning what worked on older series and shaking things up a bit?!

And then, that amazing fight between Red and Evil Uncle! Now that's a Sakamoto episode for sure. Evil mecha was *badass* too. It's been so long since we had something like this!

Also, more info about the evil group. Evil Uncle is the field general, while many-faces is the main commander that responds to the big bad. And man, it's been a long time since we had such a good field general!

NeonZ

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
This is like... Toei is learning what worked on older series and shaking things up a bit?!

It's just that the series is led by veterans who hadn't been involved in a major way with Sentai for a while. The main producer is Tsukada (Deka/Magi/Geki, recently was the main producer behind the Space Sheriff and Space Squad stuff, aside from the Gavan movie that started it) and the main writer is Arakawa (Aba, Deka, Gokai, Akiba, Sentai Battle mini-series, many one shot episodes in the last two decades, but that's obviously different from being the main writer).

Wanderer5

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Somewhere.
Great episode of Kirameiger this week, and I gotta say, I freaking love the Smog Jouki, like everything about it. Such a cool ass looking train mech, and has a damn chainsaw for a tail. Oh and also atomic breath, awesome.

I kind of want the toy now lol.

Yukari

Mar 28, 2018
Thailand
Rewatching lupat ep.34
Still, no idea why Arsene makes "shoot loved ones" trap?
And Kogure faces at the end of the episode. disappoint that there nothing about him.

Sandfox

Oct 25, 2017
Aruto is probably the most passive main Rider since Wataru. Fuwa gets all the cool scenes and is the better character, but he's also probably the biggest jobber since G3(though jobbing is a problem with secondary Riders in general).

Sandfox

Oct 25, 2017
Wait,. in terms of jobbing, or being a good character?
Jobbing. Banjo is the best secondary Rider ever.

Jobbers are G3, Baron, Birth, Beast
Birth is a weird one because he has the in story excuse of not being created to fight the stronger enemies.

There it is. Second Rider. Never gets an upgrade, which is shocking in second Heisei. Jobs all the time, and then double jobs.
You didn't like Birth Day?

MHWilliams

Oct 25, 2017
Jobbing. Banjo is the best secondary Rider ever.

68747470733a2f2f73332e616d617a6f6e6177732e636f6d2f776174747061642d6d656469612d736572766963652f53746f7279496d6167652f56753248635369567861747774673d3d2d3734383832323434372e313561616434646262626633636164653739363935303237373138332e676966

You didn't like Birth Day?

It's just all the Claws together! Trasssssssssssh

t-nkamen_rider_ooo_38sd0bf34c16-avi_snapshot_19-57_2011-09-07_10-28-56.jpg

TRASSSSSHHHHHHHHHHH

Sandfox

Oct 25, 2017
68747470733a2f2f73332e616d617a6f6e6177732e636f6d2f776174747061642d6d656469612d736572766963652f53746f7279496d6167652f56753248635369567861747774673d3d2d3734383832323434372e313561616434646262626633636164653739363935303237373138332e676966

It's just all the Claws together! Trasssssssssssh

t-nkamen_rider_ooo_38sd0bf34c16-avi_snapshot_19-57_2011-09-07_10-28-56.jpg

TRASSSSSHHHHHHHHHHH
With OOO I wonder how much stuff was scrapped due to rewrites and the earthquake. Like we know they scrapped another Greeed and they probably rewrote Date's characters. The earthquake hit around when they were filming the final form debut IIRC.

Everyone likes Banjo, he's one of the best too
Accel jobs too as well.
Accel had his moments outside of form debuts and even got his own two episode arcs, so I would say he made out better than most other secondary writers..

PhoenixAKG

Aug 14, 2019
With OOO I wonder how much stuff was scrapped due to rewrites and the earthquake. Like we know they scrapped another Greeed and they probably rewrote Date's characters. The earthquake hit around when they were filming the final form debut IIRC.

Accel had his moments outside of form debuts and even got his own two episode arcs, so I would say he made out better than most other secondary writers..

With OOO I heard Date was supposed die and the final villain originally was going to be Ankh.

Vareon

Oct 25, 2017
Aruto is probably the most passive main Rider since Wataru. Fuwa gets all the cool scenes and is the better character, but he's also probably the biggest jobber since G3(though jobbing is a problem with secondary Riders in general).

I'll give that to Tokiwa Sougo, Aruto was doing his job at least in the first arc and had some interesting choices. Biggest problem is that he didn't seem to care about finding out more on Metsuboujinrai.

I suppose this new arc has all the starting point to make him more active though.

Goddamn Build was a perfect show.

Sandfox

Oct 25, 2017
I'll give that to Tokiwa Sougo, Aruto was doing his job at least in the first arc and had some interesting choices. Biggest problem is that he didn't seem to care about finding out more on Metsuboujinrai.

I suppose this new arc has all the starting point to make him more active though.

Goddamn Build was a perfect show.
I don't really agree with Sougo being passive. He did what he needed to do and was willing to confront problems. Aruto just let ZAIA do whatever they wanted to a comical degree and then there's Metsuboujinrai as you mentioned.

Oct 25, 2017
Kiramager 4

Decided to watch Sentai first.
Surprised to see the evil mech this early in the season. Chainsaw tails are awesome.
Nerf Juru, seriously. He can bring drawings to life, and his dreams are prophetic.

Zero-One 29

Best Henshin ever. Why is Fuwa so much cooler than Aruto? Hopefully now Aruto takes on a more proactive role in stopping that smug shit. Especially since we're over the "mid-show slump"

OP
OP
DioMuller

DioMuller

Oct 25, 2017
Brazil
It's just that the series is led by veterans who hadn't been involved in a major way with Sentai for a while. The main producer is Tsukada (Deka/Magi/Geki, recently was the main producer behind the Space Sheriff and Space Squad stuff, aside from the Gavan movie that started it) and the main writer is Arakawa (Aba, Deka, Gokai, Akiba, Sentai Battle mini-series, many one shot episodes in the last two decades, but that's obviously different from being the main writer).

Yeah, I know about the production team, it's just that... With Ryusoul, it felt like they wanted to change some things, but Toei didn't let them. Also, they are finally using the good lessons Go-Busters had, so hey!

Hope they get Sakamoto to do more episodes.

NeonZ

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
Yeah, I know about the production team, it's just that... With Ryusoul, it felt like they wanted to change some things, but Toei didn't let them. Also, they are finally using the good lessons Go-Busters had, so hey!

I don't think it was "Toei", it was Ryusoul's main producer himself. There was an interview with Ryusoulger's main producer where he was asked about the charm of Ryusoulger and how it seems to be a return to tradition after Kyuranger and Lupat deviated from the norm, but then he went on about how actually he doesn't think any of the shows deviated from tradition, all are traditional and that sticking to tradition is actually Sentai's strength.

https://www.daily.co.jp/gossip/sentai/2019/06/02/0012387360.shtml

I don't think it's really true that recent series had deviated from Sentai's golden traditions.

The team members are strong, cheerful and cool, and they have great teamwork, a tradition of 40 years. It's still there. In that sense, it hasn't changed.

If you look at the enemy organization Druidon, it can be said that it's developed like a classic enemy group too with plots like "poisoning a water purification plant" or "trapping in humans in strange dimensions through their desires".

Even if Kyuranger and Lupat messed up their execution, someone who couldn't even look at the unique qualities of individual seasons should never be a show runner.

Last edited:
OP
OP
DioMuller

DioMuller

Oct 25, 2017
Brazil
01 - 29

HOLY SHIT THIS EPISODE. Gai is past Cronus levels of awful, and Yua is this close to the point of no return for me. Also, Aruto is one of the weakest protagonists ever... up to now.

This episode *almost* made the whole competition arc worth watching. Almost. It was so good! Fuwa is a great character, and the payoff here was incredible. And now, a new arc begins, finally. I hope they dispose of Gai soon and we can get something better, tho.

Oct 25, 2017
I mean it's not like this is the first time Metal Cluster Hopper has fought Thouser without actually defeating him.
You mean all the other fights where Thouser either fled, had interference, or aid in keeping up? The only "no holds barred" fight they had when Aruto took control of MCH, Aruto absolutely destroyed Thouser. Like, the last 3 or 4 brawls he got into he either stopped the fight somehow (talking to the camera in the other week), didn't fight alone (had Jackal backing him up more recently), got completely shut down (vs Horobi) or was not able to make a dent on his opponent (vs Jin).

Slatsunus

Nov 2, 2017
All the justified love for Fuwa and frustation with Aruto I have seen across the internet has got me thinking.

What are the rider shows you can think of where the secondary Rider ends up being the best written/most popular one?

Off the top of my head I think Chase is easily the best character/rider in Drive even though I love the whole cast.

Heart would be number 1 if you count redeemed villians.

RedHoodedOwl

Nov 3, 2017
All the justified love for Fuwa and frustation with Aruto I have seen across the internet has got me thinking.

What are the rider shows you can think of where the secondary Rider ends up being the best written/most popular one?

Off the top of my head I think Chase is easily the best character/rider in Drive even though I love the whole cast.

Heart would be number 1 if you count redeemed villians.

Banno and Nira were the most reprehensible villains in Drive