• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Empyrean Cocytus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Upstate NY
Just saw Episode 3 of Kiramager. Is it just me or is Kiramajin kinda lame? Like all they do is take Land Mage, change his head, Helico sticks on the front, and Jetter becomes the sword.

Though I do like that his finisher is a total ripoff of Daidenjin's.

NeonZ

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
Man, I decided to spend this whole "work from home" time to watch classic Kamen Rider now that it's subbed legally. Man, have times changed since then. This is almost nothing like the modern KR shows but it's still awesome in a super cheesy 70s way. Mildly disappointed in the lack of henshin scenes, he just shows up transformed a lot.

The standard transformation scenes with the "Henshin" call are actually introduced by Rider 2. That's also about the time enemies start exploding from finishers rather than dissolving.

Wanderer5

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Somewhere.
*sigh* Just end this arc already. It was great seeing Horobi back in action through, and Fighting Jackal is a badass design.

Oct 27, 2017
The standard transformation scenes with the "Henshin" call are actually introduced by Rider 2. That's also about the time enemies start exploding from finishers rather than dissolving.

So the series gets more interesting? I'm only 3 episodes in and it's been very samey and dull so far but entertaining (if that makes sense). Planning on continuing for awhile still. Nothing better to do .

NeonZ

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
So the series gets more interesting? I'm only 3 episodes in and it's been very samey and dull so far but entertaining (if that makes sense). Planning on continuing for awhile still. Nothing better to do .

It remains very episodic throughout, with a few story relevant episodes once in a while with the introduction of recurring villains or some other change to the status quo, if that's what you're wondering (like changing the main Rider, which initially happens due to an accident with Hongo/Rider 1's actor, so that's rather sudden but later it's done better). The atmosphere gets less somber and there's some comic relief by the time Hayato/Rider 2 debuts too (episodes 14-15).

How is Zero One considered now overall?

It's a mixed bag so far. Great first arc, mediocre second arc, that lasted too long and required tons of logical leaps to work. Due to the smaller amount of spoilers nowadays we know basically nothing about the third arc which is supposed to be starting in two weeks.

OP
OP
DioMuller

DioMuller

Oct 25, 2017
Brazil
01 - 28

Ehhhh... Gai bullshit again, meh. 01 is still good, but this whole arc is dragging the series down quite a bit.

Also don't really like how the MC Humagear went from zero to Hitler in 10 seconds. And then Yua was downgraded from Rider to MotW. Probably the weakest episode in the series by far, hope the next one compensates it.

Oct 25, 2017
Zero-One 28

Yeah, this episode wasn't good. This arc has gone on way too long and needs to end (thankfully it's over soon).
The mystery of the hooded person from several episodes ago is now solved... and it's so weird.

Kiramager 3

Shigeru is great, really liking him. Juru is showing what a great leader he is too. Impressive for what's basically a rookie Red.
I also like how all the giant battles take place at "night'. They finally realized the battles look best with a dark background.

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah Zero-One's latest episode is just ugh. Just hurry up and take this arc round to the back and give it a few Shotriser blasts to the head already.

How is Zero One considered now overall?

I don't think there is a clear consensus, but plenty of viewers including myself are absolutely fed up with how this second arc has been handled. That's not to say it's completely devoid of good. It's a string of two-parters but there are certainly merits here and there and the standalone stories involving one off characters can be decently heartwarming.

But unfortunately the main A-plot is repetitive, agonisingly frustrating to watch, and has next to no momentum. The exciting intrigue going on mainly with the secondary Rider happens at a very uneven, glacial pace and it's only after a dozen episodes that this subplot is supposedly going anywhere. It's a dozen episodes with a broadly similar formula with only a small blip in the middle to facilitate the protagonist's mid-season power up form. The main characters are essentially reduced to compliant, impotent chess pieces being gleefully shuffled around by a CEO who is genuinely one of the worst, most mishandled characters I've seen in Toku. This dude gets away with everything because the plot dictates it and isn't concerned one bit about basic or even in-universe logic.

And all of this is after a very well received first arc that while also has a lot of episodic focus on one-off guest characters, never really lost that perpetual momentum because the A-plot always felt like it was rolling and going somewhere. Plus in the 1st arc we still had hope that the female Rider could get even better instead of whatever she's been reduced to now. Now she barely ever transforms, is now currently a monster of the week(s), had any remaining personality scrubbed away and now doesn't do anything but demurely obey a man's every word.

Birdie

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I have mixed feelings about Zero One.

Gai really shouldn't get away with all the shit he's pulled but...then I look at real life and I'm like, yeah, he probably could do all that and get away with it.

Birdie

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I'll say that we haven't reached the depths of the Ganmaizer/Gates VR Glasses/Makoto Clone Saga yet.

Wanderer5

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Somewhere.
So I finished Lost Galaxy, feeling good that I saw this all the way through. It was the Power Rangers show I recall the most from my childhood, and thus I have a particular fond to it among other series. I really enjoyed this season, even though I wish stuff like the Lost Galaxy itself was fleshed out some more. The 3 part finale was pretty good through with some satisfying fights and closure to Terra Venture's journey. The team completing their mission and placing the quasar sabers back into the stone is quite memorable, and while Kendrix coming back from this was silly, I was happy for her return. Still love Magna Defender a lot also, and Mike really did serve the legacy with honor.

I was going to tackle RPM next, but maybe I will go for Lightspeed Recuse and Time Force instead to continue exploring the Post-Zordon era.

MHWilliams

Oct 25, 2017
New Ultraman. He's a Zero fanboy.

The new TV series “Ultraman Z (Zett)” will air on TV, starting June 20th, 2020! | Tsuburaya Productions Co., Ltd

The new TV series “Ultraman Z (Zett)” will air on TV, starting June 20th, 2020! Ultraman official website by Tsuburaya Productions.
%E3%82%BC%E3%83%83%E3%83%88%E3%80%81%E3%82%BC%E3%83%AD-922x1024.jpg

Yukari

Mar 28, 2018
Thailand
I Wonder What the original plan/story of Lupat? (Toys Aside)

They make Kogure look suspicious so much, Even Noel Seem Do not trust him.
And it seems like Kairi will go Darkside somehow.

Vareon

Oct 25, 2017
Watcher 3 episodes of Kiramager. I really liked it! This is one of the series where I don't like the costume and mechs, but I really liked the episode stories so far.

Oct 25, 2017
So let's look at Gai's plan for this last competition round:

Step 1: Ally with a human supremacist politician whom you must know to be shady and corrupted otherwise ZAIA wouldn't use him.

Step 2: Set up a televised debate and count on the opposing side's Humagear's fucking genocide switch being flipped causing him to go from being a little bit aggressive to full on destroy all of humanity mode in seconds. Because if this hadn't happened the politician's only defence is to scream fake news like a Trumpian goon.

Step 3: While cameras are rolling, ensure the media are more wowed by a live advertisement of the Raidriser than to actually do their job and ask important questions.

Step 4: (the tried and tested method) Continue to rely on Aruto being a consistently ineffective opponent like he has been over the course of last four previous rounds. Aruto gets on my nerves mainly because Thouser's shenanigans always work on him, and Aruto never wisens up to any of it.

The above is basically a good distillation of what is wrong with this arc. Shit just happens in Gai's favour, often doesn't make sense, and the main hero is caught off guard every single time.

Imagine how much more compelling everything would be if Gai wasn't such a smug, unlikable jackass able to freely break every law under the sun and never be seriously challenged for it. A Gai who can still be an antagonistic figure but actually written well could easily leave the viewers in a real dilemma. Of course you want to support the protagonist because he's the hero and his message is hopeful and inspiring, but what if this more affable less-of-an-asshole Gai truly has a point and isn't wrong about the sheer dangers of unpredictable AI development, programming going rogue and lethal, and the endemic effects on the job market.

Cannot wait for this arc to end and a new one to start. And on a more positive note, Kiramager's alright so far. I'm not much of a Sentai guy but out of boredom I checked out the first few episodes and there's a certain goofy and endearing charm to it. Granted, I don't think it's anything to write home about and it's such a shame that the franchise has been on such a downward slope that it hasn't been able to truly freshen things up meaningfully without Bandai and Toei freaking out over increasingly lower toy sales earnings and ratings respectively.

NeonZ

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
And why do the Riders need to team up when Aruto, Fuwa, and Jin all stronger than Gai? He's a worse version of Cronus at this point.

AIMS will have their own mass produced suits, Battle Raiders, and they're defending Thouser. It's also possible he will copy Metal Cluster's power in this arc, although this second one is just speculation.

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
God Damn Rampage Vulcan might be the most impressive debut since Hyper Kabuto. How you going to out style the main rider like that?

With out spoiling it, I will just say that counting the medals must have been the inspiration

Slatsunus

Nov 2, 2017
God Damn Rampage Vulcan might be the most impressive debut since Hyper Kabuto. How you going to out style the main rider like that?

With out spoiling it, I will just say that counting the medals must have been the inspiration
Is it a hot take to just vastly prefer Fuwa to Aruto at this point? Even when he was jobbing every week he did it with initiative and conviction while Aruto sat in his office being sad he forgot Izu can record evidence