• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Oct 25, 2017
Zero One

Oh my god please end this competition already. I'm not sure if the characters should even be surprised that Thouser was behind everything, I just dislike this section that much that I don't remember who should know what.

Oct 25, 2017
Kira 2
That's is one weird roll call pose.

This show feels really old school for some reason.
Monster design
The absolute bonkers villains plan and the sports focused monster of the week
All members of the team being genius at their field
The framing of the mech fight and use of miniatures
The overall style/presentation of the characters

TheGreatLugia

Oct 25, 2017
I posted these in the Kamen Rider thread but the episodes are back up:

tubitv.com

Kamen Rider

A motorcycle-riding cyborg fights the evil organization that transformed him for their evil deeds.

It's also really weird seeing this video:

MHWilliams

Oct 25, 2017
Thouser might be the worst villain in modern Rider and it's all down to the writing.

Weird, after Jin and Horobi were really enjoyable.

NeonZ

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
At least to me, the issue is that rather than showing Thouser using his resources to deal with everyone, this arc just makes everyone oddly passive so he doesn't even need to do that. He gets to beat up a cop, a company president, destroy evidence in front of cameras, create a terrorist organization and carry around things made by the terrorists and everyone is just mildly annoyed by all that (or only furious for a single scene and then back to normal afterwards) and keeps treating him like he was just an unscrupulous company executive rather than a criminal.

It'd be like if after Kuroto's identity and ties to the bugster virus was revealed in Ex-Aid he got to just walk back and continue as Genm Corp's president, rather than hiding as a fugitive. I felt like this about Masamune too to an extent, but he actually got more excuses in the show itself, and his arc where he was treated as just a company president is already smaller than Thouser's (32-40) since afterwards the cast was actually going after him actively.

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, Gai got the Batman/Deathstroke aura of dumb superpower and it sucks. His framing of being a 4D chess mastermind just feels lame and unbelievable thanks to that.

Vareon

Oct 25, 2017
Man, I want to watch Reiwa The First Generation that will be screened at my local theatre tomorrow. But yeah, things.

At least the lame "tournament" arc in Zero One is reaching its end. Everything about it was bad but everything else besides that was still great.

Wanderer5

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Somewhere.
There are parts of the competition arc that are great, and I LOVE the Thouser form, but this whole thing with Gai has definitely lost some steam.

Yua has basically been shoved to the side also, and I hope she breaks off from Gai soon. >_<

MHWilliams

Oct 25, 2017

His motivation shifts from episode to episode. His fights are largely the same beat. And he seems to have a superpower that prevents him from even the mildest consequences, making him feel like he doesn't fit with his world.

Like, he's openly carrying around devices that are linked to a known terrorist group and using them out in the open, in front of TV cameras and HumaGears, which we've been told in the past and record and save errant information. Fuwa alone is technically a cop, and has been directly attacked, but... nothing.

And Aruto is entirely defanged because his response to Gai and Gai-related people should be much bigger—if you know human abuse can trigger HumaGear corruption, why are you letting a person drag around and beat a HumaGear? I thought they were supposed to be akin to people in your eyes, yet you allow them to undergo abuse that frankly is far beyond the pale of the early episodes. Yua is almost ruined, because we, as of yet have no idea why she's blindly following the openly-evil CEO villain. Even a hint would be nice! Did he save her life, does she believe in his nebulous cause? WHAT?

Jin and Horobi had a clear motivation (free the HumaGears by destroying humanity), notable limitations (they operated in secret because they were terrorists), and they were even somewhat sympathetic (humans kind of suck). Writing a solid villain isn't hard, as Rider does it all the time. I think they just had no idea how to execute on Gai's stated purpose.

RedHoodedOwl

Nov 3, 2017
His motivation shifts from episode to episode. His fights are largely the same beat. And he seems to have a superpower that prevents him from even the mildest consequences, making him feel like he doesn't fit with his world.

Like, he's openly carrying around devices that are linked to a known terrorist group and using them out in the open, in front of TV cameras and HumaGears, which we've been told in the past and record and save errant information. Fuwa alone is technically a cop, and has been directly attacked, but... nothing.

And Aruto is entirely defanged because his response to Gai and Gai-related people should be much bigger—if you know human abuse can trigger HumaGear corruption, why are you letting a person drag around and beat a HumaGear? I thought they were supposed to be akin to people in your eyes, yet you allow them to undergo abuse that frankly is far beyond the pale of the early episodes. Yua is almost ruined, because we, as of yet have no idea why she's blindly following the openly-evil CEO villain. Even a hint would be nice! Did he save her life, does she believe in his nebulous cause? WHAT?

Jin and Horobi had a clear motivation (free the HumaGears by destroying humanity), notable limitations (they operated in secret because they were terrorists), and they were even somewhat sympathetic (humans kind of suck). Writing a solid villain isn't hard, as Rider does it all the time. I think they just had no idea how to execute on Gai's stated purpose.

Could Yua be a humagear who is programmed to be obedient to Gai?

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
Thouser might be the worst villain in modern Rider and it's all down to the writing.

Weird, after Jin and Horobi were really enjoyable.
It feels like the plot could totally move along with him. And that is the worse thing that can happen to a protag or an antag

Oct 25, 2017
Gai is central to the plot. It seems like the answer to all of the problems in the show is "Gai did it". The problem is that he's not super interesting, and the protags barely care when they find any of this out.

The end of this episode was the worst of it. Have pretty sufficient evidence to pin something to Thouser, Fuwa for some reason fights him alone while Aruto just stands there. Jin finds out Gai is behind everything and instead of wanting to kill Thouser just has a lame fight to get horobi's key back, why? Why isn't anyone more than slightly peeved when these things happen? Horobi freaked out when he found out Thouser was behind everything.

Slayven

Oct 25, 2017
Gai is totally going to merge with the ark and be the big bad isn't he?

Then we will get the V Cinema redeeming him with his new power Thousand Thouser

Oct 25, 2017
For the same reason she didn't record when Gai put a zetsumeriser on Hiden's humagear in front of everybody on the other two parter and yet somehow they didn't have evidence against him.
Also probably the same reason nobody called Gai out on he saying there was no evidence his tech was dangerous ten minutes after his employee exploded a building and almost killed multiple people in a fire

Oct 25, 2017
It specially sucks 'cause earlier in the show AIMS had no trouble going after Aruto or simply barging into Hiden for the smallest things.

MHWilliams

Oct 25, 2017
So, Gai isn't a brilliant mastermind it's just everyone is absolutely oblivious to stop him.

Yes, and the fact that everyone is oblivious actually makes them worse, but they look either dumb or ineffective.

Now compare that to other villains with clear motivations, some stakes, or at least a character flaw that interrupts their plans. Rogue or Evol in Build, Genm in Ex-Aid, Heart in Drive.

RedHoodedOwl

Nov 3, 2017
Yes, and the fact that everyone is oblivious actually makes them worse, but they look either dumb or ineffective.

Now compare that to other villains with clear motivations, some stakes, or at least a character flaw that interrupts their plans. Rogue or Evol in Build, Genm in Ex-Aid, Heart in Drive.

Gai wouldn't stand a chance against someone like Tsukasa.

Vareon

Oct 25, 2017
There are parts of the competition arc that are great, and I LOVE the Thouser form, but this whole thing with Gai has definitely lost some steam.

Yua has basically been shoved to the side also, and I hope she breaks off from Gai soon. >_<

igadevil on Twitter speculated that Yua was purposely written as a frustrating character (to us) and that will make her comeback glorious. Problem is I have little faith in the current writing that she will do so. Has there ever been a Kamen Rider character written like this, let alone a female character?

Oct 25, 2017
igadevil on Twitter speculated that Yua was purposely written as a frustrating character (to us) and that will make her comeback glorious. Problem is I have little faith in the current writing that she will do so. Has there ever been a Kamen Rider character written like this, let alone a female character?
........Tsukuyomi? (nervous laughs)

ValKiryuSonicEX

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Let's be honest Zi-O's writing was pretty bland and sometimes poorly executed, saved only by the cameos and plot points from past Rider series and maybe the period where Geiz got a weekly beating from Tsukasa. Not surprising considering this is coming from the writer of Ninninger who somehow made the theme of Ninjas pretty boring.

I certainly hope there are better plans for Yua as we're getting out of this dumb competition arc (I certainly see glimmers of some breaking point going to occur), and the Jackal Raider nonsense they're going to put her through.

Oct 25, 2017
I can't be mad at Jackal because it looks super rad. Also it has the regular Valkyrie mask under its face, which is a first for Raiders. May be just a sign of kitbash, but I am choosing to believe it's plot related somehow.

MHWilliams

Oct 25, 2017
I mean, Jackal Raider looks dope. If that's a final form, or a bridge to it, I'm down.

But they should've been seeding Yua's backstory before now.

Birdie

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
As long as she's in control of the Jackal Raider it's fine...and presumably like the other ones we've seen she's more or less cognitive.

Oct 28, 2017
Its fucking happening. Toei are doing a legit Youtube channel for its toku shows, with English subtitles. More info at the link in the tweet.

modoversus

Oct 25, 2017
MĂ©xico
Wow, so 70 shows from the 60s to 90s? Interesting. Weird that Kamen Rider is not mentioned. If they are not including Rider because Shout, Toei could simply region block those.

Oct 25, 2017
I'm subscribed to one of Toei's youtube channels that had a bunch of Toku uploaded there but I was geo blocked from watching. Had a bunch of Sentai, Rider, Metal Heroes up to maybe stuff from the 2010s

modoversus

Oct 25, 2017
MĂ©xico
Wait, so they want fans to translate the rest of the series...?

"Further episodes will be available in Japanese for now, but there could be frequent updates. We plan on making a public call for subtitles in any language."

OP
OP
DioMuller

DioMuller

Oct 25, 2017
Brazil
Gonna update the OT with Tubi and Toei's channel.

Some pretty great series there, like Winspector, Zubat, Jiraiya and Juspion!

KingWillance

Oct 25, 2017
With coronavirus I imagine that's going to get even more restricted, assuming they don't just straight up shut down production for a bit.

NeonZ

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
Is just me or Toei seem to use repeat locations often now?

That has been going on since the 80s with the quarry they loved using for fighting scenes. In some late 80s series it feels like at any time someone was thrown through a wall or window or just blown into the air they landed there.

Currently, there are some city locations they've been reusing since the early 00s. It's something old enough the Climax Heroes fighting games that came around the time of Decade/W already had noticed. They used several of those repeated locations as inspiration for the stages and several of those locations still pop up nowadays, while some other new ones have been added to the rotation, like the square where the Genesis Riders debuted in Gaim died which appeared in Zero-One right in the beginning of the Thouser arc.

Hibiki attempted to go for more varied locations, but the cost of the location shooting ended up being the main reason its original producer was fired (since he refused to cut down on it in spite of the show doing badly).

Really, I think only 70s toku really had a big variety of locations, like how the original Rider and Skyrider had episodes taking place not just in Tokyo, but in various tourist spots around Japan. That still continued in the 80s and 90s, but to a lesser extent, and pretty much disappeared during the 00s outside of the Toei edo village (which is in Kyoto).

Slayven

Oct 25, 2017
80s and 90s had a lot of wooded locations. I wasn't noticing that in Kakuranger

Vareon

Oct 25, 2017
That has been going on since the 80s with the quarry they loved using for fighting scenes. In some late 80s series it feels like at any time someone was thrown through a wall or window or just blown into the air they landed there.

Currently, there are some city locations they've been reusing since the early 00s. It's something old enough the Climax Heroes fighting games that came around the time of Decade/W already had noticed. They used several of those repeated locations as inspiration for the stages and several of those locations still pop up nowadays, while some other new ones have been added to the rotation, like the square where the Genesis Riders debuted in Gaim died which appeared in Zero-One right in the beginning of the Thouser arc.

Hibiki attempted to go for more varied locations, but the cost of the location shooting ended up being the main reason its original producer was fired (since he refused to cut down on it in spite of the show doing badly).

Really, I think only 70s toku really had a big variety of locations, like how the original Rider and Skyrider had episodes taking place not just in Tokyo, but in various tourist spots around Japan. That still continued in the 80s and 90s, but to a lesser extent, and pretty much disappeared during the 00s outside of the Toei edo village (which is in Kyoto).

I remember seeing GIFs of Kamen Rider V3 shouting on top of a chimney. I wonder if such stunts are even allowed today.