• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

DioMuller

Oct 25, 2017
Brazil
tokuera22pk3i.gif

Gif by WillyFive | OT by Tiu Neo and WarRock

Previous OTs:
2018 | 2019

WELCOME!

What's a "Tokusatsu"?
Tokusatsu is a japanese type of action series/movies that makes heavy use of special effects, which can include CG or practical effects - not unlike shows you might know like Star Trek or Doctor Who. Think Power Rangers, Kamen Rider, or Antman meets Godzilla.

So, Power Rangers?

Well, it's not quite only Power Rangers, but it can be! Power Rangers is an adaptation of Super Sentai, which is a tokusatsu series. However, tokusatsu as an genre is way bigger and more varied than just adults in spendex fighting rubber monsters! There are adults in fake armors fighting rubber monsters, adult in spendex fighting each other...

Now, seriously, tokusatsu is a japanese type of action series/movies that makes heavy use of special effects, which can include CG or practical effects. Many tokusatsu focus on superheroes fighting monsters or other superpowered beings, like Kamen Rider. Others focus on giant monsters, like Godzilla. Others combine some elements of both sides, like Super Sentai/Power Rangers and Ultraman.

Here on this thread we focus more on the two more mainstream tokusatsu series currently airing in Japan - Super Sentai and Kamen Rider. However, we have Metal Hero, Ultraman, Garo and Godzilla fans, so feel free to talk about any tokusastu series!

So, which series can be considered Tokusatsu?

Good question! Some of the more known Tokusatsu series are:

Super Sentai

The series Power Rangers was based on. A team of heroes fight monsters, first as a team, and then with a mecha fight. Nowadays, Sentai series are more focused on a younger audience - however, most of them still have more mature themes and writing than their Power Rangers counterparts.

Some recommendations:
  • Kagaku Sentai Dynaman (1983)
  • Chojin Sentai Jetman (1991)
  • Tokusou Sentai Dekaranger (2004)
  • Juken Sentai Gekiranger (2007)
  • Samurai Sentai Shinkenger (2009)
  • Kaizoku Sentai Gokaiger (2011)
  • Zyuden Sentai Kyoryuger (2013)

Kamen Rider

This started as insect, bug-themed heroes, riding motorcycles and destroying monsters, but nowadays the series has evolved and some of those elements aren't as present as in the past. Instead, current Rider focuses, normally, in one hero, and it's episodes are more serialized than Sentai. While every Rider series has their monsters, at times the focus can also be the conflict between Riders, or even at times more than one group. It's focused on older kids and women, so it may have a more complex plot and themes may be more complex and nuanced at times.

Some recommendations:
  • Kamen Rider Agito (2001)
  • Kamen Rider W (2009)
  • Kamen Rider Fourze (2011)
  • Kamen Rider Gaim (2013)
  • Kamen Rider Drive (2014)
  • Kamen Rider Ex-Aid (2016)
  • Kamen Rider Build (2017)

Ultraman
Another classic series, where giant warriors from Nebula M78 fight giant monsters. Those series have stories that, at times, connect with older series, but most are easy enough to follow even if you didn't watch them. Oh, and they still use lots of practical effects, with the giant fights relying on miniature sets and flying ships, making the sense of scale and choreographies a big draw!

Ultraman is the inspiration for Platinum/Kamiya's new game, and Tsuburaya, their makers, are investing hard on the western market, so we'll probably get a lot of Ultraman in the near future!

Some recommendations:
  • Ultraman (1966)
  • Ultraseven (1967)
  • Ultraman Nexus (2004)
  • Ultraman Mebius (2006)
  • Ultraman Orb (2016)
  • Ultraman Geed (2017)

Power Rangers

Here are the one everyone knows, the western adaptations of Super Sentai. It follows pretty much the same formula as it's origins: team fight first, then a mecha fight at the end. Power Rangers seasons can either be a direct adaptation of it's origin season with western actors, or do a completely different thing with the series footage.

Some recommendations:
  • Power Rangers In Space (1998)
  • Power Rangers Lightspeed Rescue (2000)
  • Power Rangers Time Force (2001)
  • Power Rangers Ninja Storm (2003)
  • Power Rangers Dino Thunder (2004)
  • Power Rangers SPD (2005)
  • Power Rangers RPM (2009)

Godzilla

The classic monster movie franchise, where the star is a giant, nuclear-powered lizard. Godzilla has appeared in mediums, in many ways, so it's representation may vary wildly - some focus on Godzilla as a menace, others focus on the battle between Godzilla and other monsters, while in some, Godzilla may even ally with humans, if only to destroy a bigger menace.

Some recommendations:
  • Godzilla (1954)
  • Godzilla vs Hedorah (1971)
  • Godzilla vs Destoroyah (1995)
  • Shin Godzilla (2016)

Other Series!

While those are less common nowadays, there are many, many other tokusatsu series, from Japan and even other countries: Shotaro Ishinomori, creator of Kamen Rider and the two first Sentai series, also made many series in the 70s and 80s. Tsuburaya Productions, Takara Tomy and Toho also made some less known tokusatsu series, with varying degrees of success.
And there are, of course, the good old Metal Heroes and Garo, that are not quite active today, but have a couple new things from time to time!

Some recommendations:
  • Kaiketsu Zubat (1977)
  • Uchuu Keiji Gavan (1982)
  • Sekai Ninja Sen Jiraiya (1988)
  • Tokkei Winspector (1990)
  • Garo (2005)
  • Garo: Makai Senki (2011)
  • Garo: Makai Retsuden (2016)

I wanna watch something fast, are there any good toku movies that need no previous knowledge of any series?

Yes! Those two are part of bigger series, but need absolutely no previous knowledge of it to understand, since they are soft resets or alternate reality series:

• Kamen Rider ZO
  • Kamen Rider Den-O: The Onigashima Warship
  • Doubutsu Sentai Go-Busters

And there are many standalone Ultra, Metal Hero and even some older Rider movies. If you have any suggestions of great standalone series to watch, please say so and I'll add it to the list!

Is anything outside of those lists worth watching?

Of course! This list was made with suggestions from many members, and I tried to pick things with different tones, settings and eras, so there's probably something here for everyone - but different people like different things, and there are many divisive series that some people love and other people hate.

If you want more specific suggestions, feel free to ask! We will gladly suggest something that may be of your liking.

What are the current series?

Kikai Sentai Zenkaiger

SVDmNxSl.png

This is an anniversary season! One human hero, Zenkaiser, joins four robots to protect all the parallel universes! Both Zenkaiser and the other members are based on previous sentai mecha.

Kamen Rider Saber

UgfqOIRl.png

A writer gains powers from a book he had since he was a child, and becomes the swordsman of flames. He joins other swordsmen to fight the enemies who menace reality itself!

Power Rangers Dino Fury

MQ9UyGZl.png

When an army of powerful alien beings is unleashed on Earth threatening life as we know it, a brand-new team of Power Rangers, fueled by the pre-historic power of the dinosaurs, are recruited to deal with the threat. Yay, dinosaurs again!

Where can I watch those series?

Watching toku outside of Japan is easier than ever nowadays! Well, at least in select countries: Ultra series are being released on Bluray on North America, and there's ShoutTV!, that streams Sentai.
For everything else, fansubbers are doing a great work, subbing many older series and, of course, the current series still airing in Japan. There are very few Rider, Sentai and Metal Hero series not subbed nowadays, and many more obscure series are also being subbed every day.

• If you are in Japan, or have access to japanese channels, TV Asashi airs Kamen Rider and Super Sentai every Sunday Morning, 9AM and 9:30AM Japan Time.
  • Shout Factory has MANY older Super Sentai series for streaming.
  • Netflix has Power Rangers
  • Prime Video has Kamen Rider Amazons, and depending on your region, a couple more things.
  • For non-licensed series, there are fansubs. Won't link them here, since they are at best at a grey area, but it's pretty easy to find subs for most series, be them recent or older.
  • Official Kamen Rider Streaming by Shout! ou Tubi!
  • Toei's international Toku channel launches April 6th.

Where can I get tokusatsu news?

Do you guys have a Discord where we can discuss tokusatsu?

Yes!

Hidden content
You need to reply to this thread in order to see this content.
We use it a lot to discuss news, older series, and at times we even live watch some episodes and movies.

Is it true that Sentai is dead?

Yes, this is a Precure thread now.

Truth to be told, rumors of Sentai's demise were greatly exaggerated. While it was supposedly downgraded to a "Tier B" property. What does it mean? In theory, it'll have less budget and toys. However, Arakawa, the writer for Kirameiger has an impressive track record (Kamen Rider Kuuga, Abaranger, Dekaranger, Gokaiger).

Special Thanks!

Thank you ShadowSwordmaster, WarRock, WillyFive, LordVas, KingDirk, javadoze, Murasaki and everyone at our Discord group! Without you, this OT wouldn't be possible.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
Posting some Kiramager fresh trivia from all my google translate skills:
From this Arakawa interview: https://news.mynavi.jp/article/20200307-990736/

Oct 25, 2017
OMG I was absent throughout all of 2019 because I always many episodes behind with both Sentai and Kamen Rider. I'm trying to catch up now that a new series started. Helmets look good but suits are trash.

OP
OP
DioMuller

DioMuller

Oct 25, 2017
Brazil
gotcha. I'm not very familiar with toku stuff, but I recently got into Precure but didn't really know how similar the series is to toku since I don't know very much about toku in the first place.

Precure is an animated toku, pretty much, so yeah, feel free to talk about it here too ...or anything barely related, really!

If you want, you can also join our Discord server, we have a brand new Precure channel there!

Oct 25, 2017
oh man new sentai already? its been years since I've watched one completely (i believe go busters). Enjoying zero -one but a bit behind (around eps 20ish).

Oct 28, 2017
gotcha. I'm not very familiar with toku stuff, but I recently got into Precure but didn't really know how similar the series is to toku since I don't know very much about toku in the first place.

Transforming costumed heroes, elaborate sequences for getting into costume, themes of justice and evil...pretty much all you need for tokusatsu. The word might pertain to physical special effects but justice transcends all mediums.

ValKiryuSonicEX

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
This maybe nitpicking on my part, but I'm little surprised that for the Kamen Rider recommendations Ryuki and OOO aren't up there, but Drive is (not that I hate Drive, but it really spins its wheels until the halfway point).

Pluto

Oct 25, 2017
Its a toku, even if its animated. Same tropes and all that.
Precure is not tokusatsu and I'm a bit surprised several people have called it "animated tokusatsu" because there's no such thing. Tokusatsu is by definition a live action production that relies heavily on special effects.

Precure is animated "henshin heroes" which is also what most people actually mean when they say tokusatsu and refer to shows like sentai, kamen rider etc.. Shows like Star Trek, Doctor Who or even MacGyver (because he blows up things all the time) are also tokusatsu by the definition of the word (it doesn't have to be a japanese production), it's often used as a synonym for henshin heroes by western fans but that's technically not correct.

And yes, I'm guilty of that too, most of the time I say toku I actually mean henshin heroes and it's not really a big deal but I still think it's important to know the actual meaning of the word as to not spread misinformation.

Oct 25, 2017
How many tokus you can name that are not henshin heroes though.
Off the top of my head, I can think of Robot Detective K and Giant Robo, with the former being an Ishinomori hero anyway which is the foundation of a lot of this stuff and the latter being an adaptation of one of the first mech manga ever, and the mech genre is usually pretty close in tropes to henshin heroes/Ishinomori toku too.
Most that are not literally transforming heroes are just some spin on it (Azteckaiser transforms everything into anime, the Kyodain bros have their vehicle mode) and the rest is kaiju toku.

Oct 25, 2017
By definition, Doctor Who is a toku, and doesn't have a Henshin Hero. Regeneration is not transformation.
Though if we're sticking with Japan, there's always Godzilla.

NeonZ

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
First teaser for the Zero-One summer movie alongside the Kirameiger one.

For the Zero-One movie...

I'll cooperate with you in the end. The strongest enemy is AI...? Human...? Or maybe...?

Off the top of my head, I can think of Robot Detective K and Giant Robo, with the former being an Ishinomori hero anyway which is the foundation of a lot of this stuff and the latter being an adaptation of one of the first mech manga ever, and the mech genre is usually pretty close in tropes to henshin heroes/Ishinomori toku too.
Most that are not literally transforming heroes are just some spin on it (Azteckaiser transforms everything into anime, the Kyodain bros have their vehicle mode) and the rest is kaiju toku.
Like you say, there's the entire Kaiju genre, like Godzilla and such. Looking at the Japanese wikipedia page for tokusasu, the main genres for Japanese toku seem to be considered to be

-Giant monsters
-Hero/Henshin Hero
-Sci-fi action
-War movies (as in 20th Century and on, not Sengoku or Shinsengumi era)
-Monsters or Yokai movies

WillyFive

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Kirameiger #1

It's like they took an 80s Sentai and filmed it with a modern crew and digital effects, especially with the alien design and the transformation. All the characters seemed good too.

Pluto

Oct 25, 2017
I already named 3, Star Trek, Doctor Who, MacGyver. Then there's Jaws, Jurassic Park, Star Wars etc.

If you want japanese examples: The entire Kaiju subgenre, Ultraman who is a Kyodai (Giant) Hero not a Henshin Hero, X Bomber etc.

But the main point of my post was that Precure isn't tokusatsu.

Oct 25, 2017
Yet if a tokusatsu fan wants something similar to what he watches, he is probably going to enjoy Gatchaman before Jaws ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
It's just an appropriation of the term and it's fine.

(and yes, I know about the live action gatchaman movie, but ya know what I'm saying)
-Monsters or Yokai movies
Huh, can't say I know many non giant monster movies, but I am far from knowledgeable about japanese cinema.

RedHoodedOwl

Nov 3, 2017
Am I the only here watching Beast Morphers? Well, it doesn't help that Nickelodeon gave the series an awful timeslot.

Birdie

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
If Pretty Cure is allowed HeyBot! was also part of the same block at one point...

Wanderer5

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Somewhere.
I wasn't planning on checking out Super Sentai (and just sticking with Power Rangers), but Kiramager looks to be a lot of fun and has a very nice charm to it. Maybe I will give it a try.

Oct 25, 2017
Kiramager Episode Zero

Pretty bold of them to have a Sentai "film" without Red transforming.
It definitely feels like a vintage season

SageShinigami

Oct 27, 2017
Kirameiger 0 was pretty good. Felt reminiscent of mid-2000s series with a tinge of 80s at the end with city destruction.

Looking forward to a sub of the first episode.

CrazyAznKT

Nov 8, 2017
I haven't been as active as I'd like to be but a fresh OT feels like a good time to start posting more!

I feel like this is the first time in years where I'm excited to keep up with Sentai, Rider, and Power Rangers all at the same time!

And with Tsuburaya making a stronger push for Ultraman in NA, I'm kind of starting to get into that too - Did a bunch of stuff with RB for TV-Nihon and I hear Taiga is pretty good as well. Also the upcoming Ultraman Marvel comic is being co-written by Kyle Higgins who had a great run on the BOOM! Power Rangers comic, this is going to be such a fun year!

OP
OP
DioMuller

DioMuller

Oct 25, 2017
Brazil
Kirameiger 00

This was very 80s, yeah, from the Crystal People costumes to the whole episode setup. Even the team choice, was "the best of their fields" thing older sentai did, but with a twist - they were searching for traditional skills, and in blue and yellow cases, on non-traditional settings. Strong mentor too, which is great - the actor is the perfect choice for the batshit insane tone of this series.

Really strong characters too! All of them have strong personalities, gave me some Gokaiger vibes - Green and Blue are pretty much Gokai Yellow and Blue; while Yellow and Pink are more competent Gokai Green and Pink.

Red looks Super Genki too. Could go both ways, but for a series like this, it could work well.

Good OST too. Very Magiranger at times.

Birdie

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I bought Beast Morpher toys when they were on sale at work lol and put them on my desk.

Got a giant "Cybervillain Blaze" (no posing basically though) and Jin and Beet. Fucking love beetle themed suits though and I loved them in Go Buster's so I'll pretend it's them.

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
so how is the toy version of the slash riser going to work?

Belt size or full sword size?