• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
OP
OP
DioMuller

DioMuller

Oct 25, 2017
Brazil
Revice 1

VERY strong debut episode. Like, up there with Build. That's... good, after the weird cameo last week.

Really liking the family aspect of this.

Birdie

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Is it based on the manga? How'd crazy did that get.

I just wanna see the Cyclone Accel Form lol.

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
I really like the first ep of Revice, if the scientist doesn't get a belt I am going to rage

modoversus

Oct 25, 2017
México
I enjoyed the first ep of Revice, certainly better than the first of Saber, but not as good as the first of Zero One. Lot's of exposition to go trough at the begining.

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018
Not a huge fan of Philip having green hair if I must be honest. But I am interested in the W anime overall, looks good.

Oct 25, 2017
Kamen Rider Revice 1

After taking some time off from Toku, I'm coming back in with the 50th Anniversary series.
And it's a pretty good debut. Revi and Vice are definitely striking Rider designs. Not what I usually expect but I can dig it.
Interesting that they're doing a two Rider system in this way. Rather than like Den-O where he's possessed or Double which is 2-in-1.
Hopefully this is the series that helps shake the cobwebs off and gets me back in.

RangerBAD

Oct 25, 2017
Revice episode 1 was a pretty good start. There was some interesting world building. For me, it's about how the anniversary portion of the show because I want plot not cameo episodic plot hogging. I don't love the soft textures of the suits.

Birdie

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I feel like the opening was totes inspired by how Kuuga opened with the archeologists getting fucked up

Vareon

Oct 25, 2017

Instead of going crazy with action they went more into the detective angle (it's title is Fuuto Tantei after all, not Kamen Rider W) and ramped up the edginess (good or bad you decide). Like, straight up naked girl dancing in the middle of the city in the first chapter.

jwk94

Oct 25, 2017
Instead of going crazy with action they went more into the detective angle (it's title is Fuuto Tantei after all, not Kamen Rider W) and ramped up the edginess (good or bad you decide). Like, straight up naked girl dancing in the middle of the city in the first chapter.
Wait... Is this a detective thing in the same way that kuuga is a police procedural with a kamen rider lean?

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018
Just finished the Revice premiere and I really enjoyed it, but I'm not sold on Vice as a character. I am sure they're gonna give him some depth and character development but it's gonna be grating where he spends the first 10-15 episodes mostly snarling quips and being a goofball in fight scenes. But the premise of inner demons is really cool and I love the Revi suit in action despite feeling kinda mixed seeing it at first.

I'll give it 5 episodes, if it can keep holding my interest for that long then I guess I'm in for the whole season.

Bio Booster Armoire

Prophet of Truth
Apr 21, 2020
Revice was great. Characters seem fun - I legit laughed at the mum's reaction at the end. Ikki mainly using kicks to fight was a nice detail given he was soccer player, too. I think Vice is going to be contentious, but he kinda won me over with that powerbomb followed by the devil horns.

Harpoon

Oct 27, 2017
Kamen Rider Revice 1

I found this opener stronger than both Zero One and Saber's, and it did a pretty good job of getting me interested in where they're going with the story and characters. The fight had a lot of great shots, and I'm still loving the costumes for the most part. Vice was better here than the Saber crossover, and I'm curious about Ikki's past. George is also already a pretty fun character.

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018
I'm about 2/3 of the way through Jetman and I'm really enjoying the team dynamic, this is obviously the core appeal of the show. Episode 32 where Ryu loses his mind over Rie and starts seeing things is both morbidly funny and tragic at the same time.

I think once I finish Jetman I am going to make an attempt to catch up on Zenkaiger. Then the general list of Sentai I wanted to tackle was something like...

Timeranger
Gokaiger
Dekaranger
Megaranger

Has anybody here seen Megaranger? I like the high school setting and it seems interesting but I'd appreciate any thoughts on it.

Injustice45

Oct 29, 2017
I'm about 2/3 of the way through Jetman and I'm really enjoying the team dynamic, this is obviously the core appeal of the show. Episode 32 where Ryu loses his mind over Rie and starts seeing things is both morbidly funny and tragic at the same time.

I think once I finish Jetman I am going to make an attempt to catch up on Zenkaiger. Then the general list of Sentai I wanted to tackle was something like...

Timeranger
Gokaiger
Dekaranger
Megaranger

Has anybody here seen Megaranger? I like the high school setting and it seems interesting but I'd appreciate any thoughts on it.
Megaranger is a pretty good series. That show arguably does the high school thing better than Mighty Morphin Power Rangers lol. It's also way different from Power Rangers In Space.

Orayn

Oct 25, 2017
Revice 1

Pretty strong start. Main things it reminds me of are Ex-Aid, Den-O, OOO, and W. Great choreography and overall visual legibility. Decent writing. Fun music and vibe.

I have decided that I absolutely love the main Revi suit. It's very bright and distinctive and looks great in motion. I hope the design stays this good all year and the upgrades/super modes don't ruin it.

Birdie

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
The bad thing about Vice if you dislike him is they can use him easier since he's voiced by a voice actor and not a idol dude...I wouldn't be surprised if the final form is a single Rider so they can just use that in future crossovers to represent Revice if they can't get Ikki back.

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018
Hokay so, I think I've composed a list of Rider and Sentai shows I plan to watch...

Kamen Rider
Kuuga (will start soon)
Drive (unfinished)
Fourze
Faize
Blade
OOO
Zero-One
Saber (maybe?)

Super Sentai
Zenkaiger (start after Jetman)
Timeranger
Dekaranger
Shinkenger
Megaranger
Liveman (low priority)

Maybe I'll expand this list down the road but for now I guess this is kind of my goal.

Revice 1

Pretty strong start. Main things it reminds me of are Ex-Aid, Den-O, OOO, and W. Great choreography and overall visual legibility. Decent writing. Fun music and vibe.

I have decided that I absolutely love the main Revi suit. It's very bright and distinctive and looks great in motion. I hope the design stays this good all year and the upgrades/super modes don't ruin it.
The premiere also gave me Ex-Aid vibes as a show that starts off relatively goofy and lighthearted but can turn dark before long. There's a lot of potential they can mine from the Venom-like setup between Revi and Vice.

chaobreaker

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017

So Tsusburaya just announced they're gonna have Ultraman Tiga available on its own streaming service.

This is a big deal because the lead actor of the show, Hiroshi Nagano, works under the Johnny & Associates talent agency and they're pretty stubborn about the likeness of their talent appearing online, to the point where sites have to photoshop awkward grey silhouettes over the talent's likeness. Anyone who saw the news about Sega and Johnny having a row over Lost Judgment last July knows what I'm talking about.

There's plenty of excitement in the replies which kinda shows you how much of a big deal that the show is finally available to watch online. The official press release announcing this on m-78.jp has the actor's likeness all front-and-center too.

m-78.jp

テレビ放送終了後、"ティガ史上初"のオンライン配信!『ウルトラマンティガ』が「TSUBURAYA IMAGINATION」独占で配信開始! - 円谷ステーション

この度、「平成ウルトラマンシリーズ」の中でも伝説的作品となっている『ウルトラマンティガ』の、テレビ放送以来となる初のオンライン配信を、初回放送から25周年を迎える同日同時刻、2021年9月7日(火)18時より「TSUBURAYA IMAGINATION」独占配信で開始致しました!

Last edited:

Birdie

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I wondered if Revi was named for the Bible and yeah...not the person though but "levi" which means to connect in Hebrew and also invokes leviathan.

Vareon

Oct 25, 2017

So Tsusburaya just announced they're gonna have Ultraman Tiga available on its own streaming service.

This is a big deal because the lead actor of the show, Hiroshi Nagano, works under the Johnny & Associates talent agency and they're pretty stubborn about the likeness of their talent appearing online, to the point where sites have to photoshop awkward grey silhouettes over the talent's likeness. Anyone who saw the news about Sega and Johnny having a row over Lost Judgment last July knows what I'm talking about.

There's plenty of excitement in the replies which kinda shows you how much of a big deal that the show is finally available to watch online. The official press release announcing this on m-78.jp has the actor's likeness all front-and-center too.

m-78.jp

テレビ放送終了後、"ティガ史上初"のオンライン配信!『ウルトラマンティガ』が「TSUBURAYA IMAGINATION」独占で配信開始! - 円谷ステーション

この度、「平成ウルトラマンシリーズ」の中でも伝説的作品となっている『ウルトラマンティガ』の、テレビ放送以来となる初のオンライン配信を、初回放送から25周年を迎える同日同時刻、2021年9月7日(火)18時より「TSUBURAYA IMAGINATION」独占配信で開始致しました!

It looks super weird to average viewers since Hiroshi Nagano did return for the SH Figuarts Ultraman Tiga ad, which was also streamed during Trigger, but he wasn't present during an entire season where they show Tiga clips. But that's Johnny's for you.

Birdie

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
What about the Deadman God, Giff. Is that a reference?

(I appreciate the mooks are named Giff Jr. lol)

GalaxyDive

Oct 25, 2017

Yeah, as said (from what I've read), it does lean a lot more into the detective angle. Though it has introduced FangTrigger and FangMetal.

Timeranger
Gokaiger
Dekaranger
Megaranger

I meant to comment on one of your earlier posts; Jetman's team dynamic is amazing and set a bar that the toy demands of modern Sentai really won't allow in regards to any actual friction. i.e.; I was kinda bummed out at first about how fast Kyuranger's recruitment arc went and how Stinger immediately goes from loner to full team member because there's a tenth and eleventh member they then rapidly have to introduce, similarly how quickly the loner/outsider aspects of the secondary pair in any psuedo 3+2 member series are dropped. From a modern lens, it's almost amazing in retrospect how in the mid-2000s how the Gouraiger were their own thing for so long and AbaraKiller was a straight-up villain for most of the series. I guess it was a product of freedom to mess around when toy sales were exploding and ratings were holding steady. Hell, one of my very few gripes with Boukenger is that Masumi/Black was clearly created with a nod to Gai yet they did almost absolutely nothing with it.

Anyway while it's not one of my top 90s series, Megaranger was enjoyable and has a ton of great things going on, and a lot of people seem to love it. The other three are perennial favorites - I would definitely suggest saving Gokaiger for last there. Having watched everything before is not at all necessary, Gokaiger is very friendly to newcomers, but the more Sentai you've seen before, the better. And Gokaiger does spoil a couple big things/surprises from a small handful of series... Jetman and Timeranger actually being the undisputed #1 and #2 on major spoilers, so besides finishing Jetman, I'd definitely recommend watching at least Timeranger before if not all of the others.

And in general, I feel like Sentai is incredibly consistent. There are very few series that have any consensus of being a dud (vs, say, Rider). Most of the time you can feel safe picking a Sentai that looks appealing to you based on designs/mechs/themes/whatever and find it enjoyable.

Birdie

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Interesting the interview with the head of Revice mentioned that Revice exists in the same world as the Kamiyama Bookstore...so, I guess Rider isn't a show in universe like originally people thought since George seemed to be a fan of them.

He also specifically mentioned the Futo P.I. Agency so it makes me wonder if they're planning a W crossover.

Hentailover

Oct 25, 2017
Moscow
So, I don't have any particularly strong feelings about first episode, but I liked the fight for the most part, especially that 360 wide lens shot, it gave the messy moshpit that was going on a sense of presense, the way it was still going on right off screen as you pan over to different parts.

OP
OP
DioMuller

DioMuller

Oct 25, 2017
Brazil
Zenkai 26

Another fantastic episode. I'm curious about what this change will bring to the overall plot.

I'm also wondering if the Stacey face-turn will come that soon. They're really taking their time with it (not a bad thing, too, since his conflict is actually interesting)

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018
Finished Jetman earlier today. Damn good show. Not much needs to be said about it, it's Jetman. Watch it! I only learned recently that it's an Inoue joint, which, yeah, that tracks, lol.

choujin-sentai-jetman-smoking.gif

Grey, obviously, is the coolest cat from that show.

I started watching Zenkaiger which might have been a mistake coming off of the more serious Jetman, but honestly it's just reminding me of a lot of my hangups with modern Sentai and its tendency to be constantly high energy and cartoonish. I'm aware I'm talking about a costumed superhero show aimed at 7 year olds, but it's ultimately why I've always preferred Rider, which even in its modern incarnation is able to hit a more suitable balance for my sensibilities.

Maybe taking a break before diving into more of it is a good idea.

mrmoose

Nov 13, 2017
Finished Jetman earlier today. Damn good show. Not much needs to be said about it, it's Jetman. Watch it! I only learned recently that it's an Inoue joint, which, yeah, that tracks, lol.
Wait, you started Jetman on 9/1 and finished the whole series in a week, along with other stuff? Man, I'm lucky if I can watch both a Super Sentai episode and a Kamen Rider episode in a week.

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018
Wait, you started Jetman on 9/1 and finished the whole series in a week, along with other stuff? Man, I'm lucky if I can watch both a Super Sentai episode and a Kamen Rider episode in a week.
Dude I watched Build and Ex-Aid in four days each, lol.

My record though is binging ATLA in four days back in the day. Binging a Sentai in a week is pretty normal for me. I even did the same with Digimon Frontier before starting Jetman!

OP
OP
DioMuller

DioMuller

Oct 25, 2017
Brazil
Mekanos is a toku binging machine, lol

I feel you may like Timeranger, from what you're telling us.
If you want something to bridge the silly and the serious, Abaranger (my personal favorite!) may work, but maybe you won't like the silly there much. It sure has a whiplash at times.

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018
Mekanos is a toku binging machine, lol

I feel you may like Timeranger, from what you're telling us.
If you want something to bridge the silly and the serious, Abaranger (my personal favorite!) may work, but maybe you won't like the silly there much. It sure has a whiplash at times.
i think I'm gonna give Zenkai another chance but go slower. My plan is to still catch up by next Sunday but only watch a few episodes a day. That way I won't burn out. I'm supplementing it with a Digimon Adventure 02 rewatch, something I've been meaning to do for a while as it's the last core Digimon show I have yet to watch in Japanese.

But yeah, Timeranger is my next binge-watch Sentai. It's not that I don't like silliness and humor in my shows, it's just, I dunno, sometimes Sentai goes so over the top with it that it takes me out of the story at times. Obviously I enjoy some Sentai and Jetman was definitely on the money for my taste, but yeah.

alvmew

Nov 12, 2017
i think I'm gonna give Zenkai another chance but go slower. My plan is to still catch up by next Sunday but only watch a few episodes a day. That way I won't burn out. I'm supplementing it with a Digimon Adventure 02 rewatch, something I've been meaning to do for a while as it's the last core Digimon show I have yet to watch in Japanese.

But yeah, Timeranger is my next binge-watch Sentai. It's not that I don't like silliness and humor in my shows, it's just, I dunno, sometimes Sentai goes so over the top with it that it takes me out of the story at times. Obviously I enjoy some Sentai and Jetman was definitely on the money for my taste, but yeah.

Yeah - based on your posts, I'm not sure Zenkai will be your cup of tea, though I sure wish it could be! I think as you dive more and more into it, you'll see even more wacky references and gags than "normal" (though some based on your viewings, you may appreciate) but the thing is, that's 100% the show this wants to be. Story is absolutely there and I'm really enjoying it when we get it, but this show feels like it is actively choosing to put that on the back burner most of the time for the sake of just having a fun 20-something minutes, so it might not gel well.

I like to think of Zenkai as a really silly love letter to Sentai - the more you've seen, the more some of the gags will take on deeper meaning because they're really call backs and oozing with love for (honestly, some of the goofiest) Sentai tropes and plots…. But at the end of the day, the letter wants to make its recipient laugh and feel -that- kind of fuzzy, not the kind I'd say Gokaiger went for where the love is being played straight. To me, that show made Sentai feel badass. This show makes Sentai feel fun. And I think the franchise is really somewhere in between most of the time, so I've really enjoyed the two radically different ways we've been given to love on it.

KingWillance

Oct 25, 2017
I'm hardly versed in sentai (I'm barely educated in Kamen Rider, especially anything pre-Kabuto) but yeah, you can feel the love for the franchise in Zenkai. Alvmew covered it better than I could so I'll instead extoll some of its less-obvious virtues. The move to suit characters means you can have personalities that we haven't seen in a traditional set-up for a while -- I can't imagine Zyuran's old man routine, for example, or Magine being such a complete mess. Continuing on that theme, the character work is great -- Zox has kept his edge despite allying himself with the Zenkaiger, interpersonal relationships within the Zenkai have seen slight but consistent movement, and most importantly the dialogue hasn't devolved into 'any character could be the one saying this.'

It also continues an ethos from Kiramager where you can tell they don't want to take any moment for granted. Some sentai fall into a formula of 'okay, it's the mech battle, we can coast through this.' Absolutely not the case here. The mech battles can be an opportunity for a new skit, a new use for a power, or just a reminder that 'yeah, giant robots are cool.'

NeonZ

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
Interesting the interview with the head of Revice mentioned that Revice exists in the same world as the Kamiyama Bookstore...so, I guess Rider isn't a show in universe like originally people thought since George seemed to be a fan of them.

He also specifically mentioned the Futo P.I. Agency so it makes me wonder if they're planning a W crossover.

Based on that interview, it sounded like any actual crossovers will be left for movies like usual though. In fact, he talks about how he initially planned the tv show idea, but dropped it since it'd make the crossovers in movies and specials harder.

Orayn

Oct 25, 2017
I'm gonna give Saber another try. I made it through Ghost, I can make it through this.

I also need to go back and finish Kiramager, I dropped off sometimes in the early 30's right as things were starting to escalate.

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018
Yeah - based on your posts, I'm not sure Zenkai will be your cup of tea, though I sure wish it could be! I think as you dive more and more into it, you'll see even more wacky references and gags than "normal" (though some based on your viewings, you may appreciate) but the thing is, that's 100% the show this wants to be. Story is absolutely there and I'm really enjoying it when we get it, but this show feels like it is actively choosing to put that on the back burner most of the time for the sake of just having a fun 20-something minutes, so it might not gel well.

I like to think of Zenkai as a really silly love letter to Sentai - the more you've seen, the more some of the gags will take on deeper meaning because they're really call backs and oozing with love for (honestly, some of the goofiest) Sentai tropes and plots…. But at the end of the day, the letter wants to make its recipient laugh and feel -that- kind of fuzzy, not the kind I'd say Gokaiger went for where the love is being played straight. To me, that show made Sentai feel badass. This show makes Sentai feel fun. And I think the franchise is really somewhere in between most of the time, so I've really enjoyed the two radically different ways we've been given to love on it.
tbh I just wanted to get through Zenkai because this design is rad

Eyp55mrWQAIbFNr.jpg:large

But I dunno maybe that's the wrong mentality. I try to make it a habit of not forcing myself through shows I'm not particularly enjoying. It's obviously a well made show but I don't think it's what I'm looking for right now. I already have sunk cost fallacy going through my brain 3 episodes in but it's not like the show is going to vanish into thin air if I don't watch it right now. so I think for now I'll shelve it and go to other shows I want to watch.

Good news is Revice had a great first episode and I'm definitely all in on it if it keeps up that level of quality.

I'm gonna give Saber another try. I made it through Ghost, I can make it through this.

I also need to go back and finish Kiramager, I dropped off sometimes in the early 30's right as things were starting to escalate.
I haven't watched Saber but despite its mixed reception, the main Rider design is SO fucking rad I kinda want to:

74b894d6-cffc-4e51-9bd7-cc714f5f9447.jpg

It's low priority though, probably at least 3 other Rider shows I want to get through before I watch it.

modoversus

Oct 25, 2017
México
I feel that the Saber designs are so busy they tend to detract from action scenes. Sometimes they feel hard to read to me. The same applies to the special effects I think.

OP
OP
DioMuller

DioMuller

Oct 25, 2017
Brazil

Good luck. While I still think Saber isn't as bad as Ghost, and that at least it found it's way near the end, most of Saber is a different type of bad. It's badly written, many character motivations make no sense, and sometimes it's just plain boring. With Ghost, we could at least joke and meme some things.

That said, the characters are actually good, if badly developed, and some of the actors actually deserved way better than that. This and one of the villains just gave up and started hamming, which is always fun.

Harpoon

Oct 27, 2017
Ultraman Trigger 7 & 8

These were probably the strongest episodes of Trigger so far. It was so good seeing Haruki and Z again (I may have gotten a little giddy when Z's OP played in 7), and it was also nice how everyone got a little moment to shine. Ignis in particular had quite a few hilarious moments in these episodes, and Barossa remains one of my favourite kaiju.