• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

mrmoose

Nov 13, 2017
I'm halfway through Q then I got the first 3 actual Ultraman shows to watch.

You are hardier than me. I couldn't make it even halfway through Ultraman without taking a break. I love the classic look of the old Toku shows but I think the problem is I tend to want to marathon it and I just couldn't do it. Even for something like Kamen Rider V3, which I loved growing up, it's a struggle compared to the newer stuff I could be watching.

Mandos

Nov 27, 2017
You are hardier than me. I couldn't make it even halfway through Ultraman without taking a break. I love the classic look of the old Toku shows but I think the problem is I tend to want to marathon it and I just couldn't do it. Even for something like Kamen Rider V3, which I loved growing up, it's a struggle compared to the newer stuff I could be watching.
Disk one was over a few sittings, disk 2 i blitzed while building a lego train. Subs one slows things down, my other backlog is moving quicker

Say I was curious, is there an early sentai show that has stakes as high and a situation as dark as the original Kamen rider? Most of them seem to be lower stake outside the Ranger part

Bio Booster Armoire

Prophet of Truth
Apr 21, 2020
Revi is the exact same colour as these sour sweets I used to eat as a kid; everytime I see the design it awakens my candy cravings.

Birdie

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Oh, I get it it's like Stamps you use in the LINE chat explaining why it pops up when Revi transforms.

Now to figure out the deep puns and referenced they're going for.

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018
Episode 15 of Ryuki... it's getting juicy now. Lots of Rider vs. Rider action, angst, all that good stuff. The first ten-ish episodes were good but a little slow, but I liked Ren temporarily getting amnesia as it let the audience learn more about his backstory. Definitely a lot of mystery and intrigue.

Birdie

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
It looks really fun...and yeah it seems the power ups are roughly based on Riders. You can see Gaim's faceplate on the mantis one on the poster.

Also villains are named after tequila and a matador, salsa dancer, and...uh Sombrero guy. Maybe a bit silly but eh.

Birdie

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I feel like they might avoid killing off family members (and have them all together) when there's a pandemic going on that may have actually killed an audience's family member.

Seems like this might be like how Fourze following the Tohoku earthquake was super positive.

zeropercent

Teyvat Traveler
May 13, 2020
I mean I could go for a pg-rated positive thinking japanese venom

also his suit looks really... tasty?

Birdie

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
So it seems the Kamen Rider series is a TV show in the world of Revice...the scientist who made the belt modeled the power ups after the Riders because he's a fan.

Also the brother Daijinshi is hinted at being the secondary (or I guess tertiary if Vice is the secondary).

Vareon

Oct 25, 2017
So it seems the Kamen Rider series is a TV show in the world of Revice...the scientist who made the belt modeled the power ups after the Riders because he's a fan.

Also the brother Daijinshi is hinted at being the secondary (or I guess tertiary if Vice is the secondary).

LOL I remember one of the early early Decade rumors were that Riders are TV shows and the main character is a Kamen Rider otaku. Took another Decade for them to actually made it a show.

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017

Be crazy to get the rider actors become riders.

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018
Watching episode 18 of Ryuki, two thoughts:

1) That scene where the dude in prison bangs his head on the table over and over then beats the shit out of the prison guard was wild. It had a rawness and realness to it that you don't usually get in toku since obviously it's usually goofy costume fights.

2) I think I missed this... his car drives on the left?

p3LERYq.png

Are cars with steering wheels on the left a thing in Japan? Or is this like... some deepseated metaphor for the mirror world lol

Vareon

Oct 25, 2017
I'm really fascinated by the turning mechanism on the belt's s stamp plate thing. It's just so smooth.

Mandos

Nov 27, 2017

Inb4 they pull the tv show is actually cover for the events that happened twist

Oct 25, 2017
Hey everyone. I have been stupidly behind.
Is there a good way to catch up? I missed most of Kiramager and Zenkaiger, as well as Saber. And using the T word now isn't going to work.
Any suggestions? PM me.

NeonZ

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017

KingWillance

Oct 25, 2017
The vibe I'm getting from Revice feels like it could have slot in anywhere between Den-O and Gaim while still feeling unique. All of the footage suggests the show is much more realized at the beginning than Zi-O or Saber which is heartening. Also I love the colors on Revice's suit.

modoversus

Oct 25, 2017
México
Not a fan of the color scheme (looked better more saturated like in the poster for the movie, I feel), but that helmet on the main rider looks so great.

Birdie

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Trying to figure out why each animal was chosen for each Rider...

I guess Fourze as a Gorilla is probably a joke on sending apes to space.

NeonZ

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
Trying to figure out why each animal was chosen for each Rider...

I guess Fourze as a Gorilla is probably a joke on sending apes to space.
I'd guess the brawler fighting style or it will have some big punching weapon on its arms mimicking the rocket module. Gaim is a mantis in order to give the form blades.

Last edited:

Birdie

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I really can't tell any of the Ultraman apart except for a few examples lol.

Like the episode where Z summons the three Heisei Ultraman I couldn't tell who was who.

Mandos

Nov 27, 2017
I'm kinda curious what's the darkest/most depressing Sentai Show? I'd imagine something from the showa era considering OG Kamen Rider

chaobreaker

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I really can't tell any of the Ultraman apart except for a few examples lol.

Like the episode where Z summons the three Heisei Ultraman I couldn't tell who was who.

I remember it like this:

Tiga is purple with red accents.
Dyna is red with blue accents.
And Gaia is red with black accents.

Orayn

Oct 25, 2017
For people watching now: Is Saber worth catching up on? I was watching weekly and dropped it at 7 or 8. How long does it take to get noticeably good?

Birdie

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I legit think episode 43 of Saber has some of the best choreography of any episode I've seen of Rider.

gunlovefiction

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
What the hell... Ultraman Z is pretty good. The second half of the show has some great episodes. The music is banging too.

OP
OP
DioMuller

DioMuller

Oct 25, 2017
Brazil
Ultraman Trigger 3

Another good episode, Ignis is really good. Finally, another season with strong villains from the start!

WillyFive

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I'm kinda curious what's the darkest/most depressing Sentai Show? I'd imagine something from the showa era considering OG Kamen Rider

Liveman starts dark, but becomes cartoony by the end. Same for Ohranger.

Jetman and Timeranger remain well balanced all throughout, with plenty of really dark moments with appropriate levity and fun when needed.

As for modern shows, Go-Busters has its fair share of tragedy in its narrative, with various sad or depressing plot points left either unresolved or actually doubled down by the end. It's very light compared to the ones above though.

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018
Deep into the 30s on Ryuki. This show is really damn good! I lament putting it off for years as I sorta fell out of tokusatsu for a while, but I get why it's so revered and was so influential on future Rider series. As I mentioned earlier, the first 10 or so episodes, while good, were on the slow side, but after that the plot and mystery really ramps up, especially as more Riders show up. Almost every episode ends on a cliffhanger that really makes me go "alright, I'll watch ONE more episode..." I was watching 1-2 episodes a day, but now I'm doing like 8-10 lmao. Great stuff.

Birdie

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I'm watching Z and I totally assumed Alien Barossa was a classic Showa monster but nope...all new.

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
The Ultraman Zero movie is pretty good, has a real 70-80s adventure scifi feel too it