• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

ValKiryuSonicEX

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I'm annoyed by this. Not sure if I'm annoyed enough to skip watching entirely, but I kinda want to just for the novelty of being able to check out older Rider shows for a year.

Honestly, that's up to you, no one will blame you whether you decide to watch or not. Sadly nothing can be done, I'll give it a watch but I'll try to avoid giving attention to Vice as much as possible.

Mewzard

Feb 4, 2018
Well, we've finally gotten another look at everyone's favorite Pirates as Linkara reviews episodes 15 and 16 of Kaizoku Sentai Gokaiger:

Vareon

Oct 25, 2017
So Ultraman Zero is basically that franchise's Decade? Not in powerset necessarily but the dude in the middle of the multiverse fuckery?

They kinda do that yeah. He's also tied to a popular voice actor (Mamoru Miyano) rather than an actor/human host, which makes it convenient for him to show up anywhere Tsuburaya wanted him.

Birdie

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
It's just like yesterday I began to understand the relationship between Ultraman and the human host.

chaobreaker

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Some Ultraman pick a human to host them and some just conjure a human disguise on their own.

Why don't they all just do the latter? I dunno lol

And don't get me even started on the Ultra beings from U40 or O50.

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018
I'm four episodes into Kamen Rider Ryuki and enjoying it so far. I dabbled a bit in a few previous Rider series but meant to get to Ryuki forever and just never got around to it. Gaim is my favorite series so I figured going into Ryuki next made sense.

Also, I can't help but think how annoying it must be for the prop department to clean the Ryuki helmet with that grill over the eyes. It's one of my favorite Rider designs though, if not my favorite.

DragonSJG

Banned
Mar 4, 2019
I'm four episodes into Kamen Rider Ryuki and enjoying it so far. I dabbled a bit in a few previous Rider series but meant to get to Ryuki forever and just never got around to it. Gaim is my favorite series so I figured going into Ryuki next made sense.

Also, I can't help but think how annoying it must be for the prop department to clean the Ryuki helmet with that grill over the eyes. It's one of my favorite Rider designs though, if not my favorite.
Nice Ryuki was my first series

Birdie

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Gosh Durandal was such a boring character other than his powerset but he was great in the crossover special.

chaobreaker

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Just found out Kohei Takeda, known for best riders characters Otoya from Kiva and Kazumi from Build, voiced the worst Final Fantasy protag in his only VA role

latest

Birdie

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
So...I honestly think Saber 43 had some of the best fight scenes in the franchise.

Only issue is the recent episodes of Saber do this weird thing where before the commercial break they show a scene which then comes later? Like Desats attacking Touma happened before the break and then it's like two minutes before it happens in the actual episode. Weird.

ash32121

Oct 27, 2017
Some Ultraman pick a human to host them and some just conjure a human disguise on their own.

Why don't they all just do the latter? I dunno lol

And don't get me even started on the Ultra beings from U40 or O50.
Sometimes, Ultraman accidentally killed the host so they merge with the host to save them. Sometimes they save the host because they did heroic deeds. Merging with an Ultra can heal or resurrect a human.

The general explanation is because an Ultra can't deal with Earth's atmosphere, so they need a host.

Harpoon

Oct 27, 2017
Ultraman Trigger 3

Hudram was much more of a lunatic than I thought he'd be; he might be my favourite of the Giants of Darkness now, haha. Also really curious to learn more about what Ignis's deal is.

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018
803b877ba9525779fefc4b7acab2c5c834d05c91.png

c53f230263d126f88a8ba32f4e4a35ec90ebd064.png

04d822db96d8dd757e765e7bb77777c529767b44.png

I love that Shinji's only response to Ren giving him shit is "no you!"

320d4d8267af6b195c97282ade01b112b878475d.png

e4467c52bbf90b44faf0f1e2643db90559b4224e.png

6bd804547cce2dceb85e6c9886a8cf698fc527d3.png

They just introduced Kamen Rider Scissors in episode 5, so the Rider vs. Rider theme of the show is becoming more obvious.

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018
I haven't really kept up with modern Rider for a few years. The last series I watched was Drive (and Amazons if you count that). What's the vibe with the more recent shows? What's worth watching? I legit have no idea. Like Ex-Aid seems cute with the video game theme, but is it one of the better series? Some of the later ones seem to have some interesting sci-fi themes too but again, totally in the dark to what the better ones are.

chaobreaker

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
My first Ultraman show was Orb. Can't be a worse jumping off point then that series.

Well actually there is Geed.

ValKiryuSonicEX

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I haven't really kept up with modern Rider for a few years. The last series I watched was Drive (and Amazons if you count that). What's the vibe with the more recent shows? What's worth watching? I legit have no idea. Like Ex-Aid seems cute with the video game theme, but is it one of the better series? Some of the later ones seem to have some interesting sci-fi themes too but again, totally in the dark to what the better ones are.

Ex-Aid was a good series, didn't waste much time on things, and even the winter team-up movie matter, solid series even if the final villain was a bit mishandled. Build was the better series though. I'd also recommend Zero-One, though that middle portion is a bit rough, and Covid rushed the ending.

chaobreaker

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017

Ex-Aid is considered one of the better series.

If you dig Sci-fi, you'll probably really like Build. I think it's one the best Rider series of the past few years but that's just my opinion.

MHWilliams

Oct 25, 2017

Of the last run of shows post-Drive: Build > Ex-Aid > Zero-One. Build is just great from top to bottom. Ex-Aid has great characters and payoffs, but I hate the suit designs. Zero-One is decent, with solid character, but the mid-section lags and the pandemic made the end kind of abrupt.

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018
Thanks for the replies. Build seems to be a winner, so I'll put it high in my list.

Vareon

Oct 25, 2017
Despite some some of it premises being connected to earlier Ultramen (Like Taiga is Taro's son, Z is Zero's disciple, Trigger dubbed as "New Generation Tiga", etc) all modern Ultraman shows are as standalone as any Kamen Rider or Super Sentai (except obvious sequel like Ginga -> Ginga S). By the end of the day they're still kids' show that doesn't concern itself too much with continuity or requiring kids to watch their previous show.

Vareon

Oct 25, 2017
I don't know what to feel about Revice having anniversary powers again despite making total sense. Not that it's bad, it's just not very special especially since Zi-O is quite recent.

chaobreaker

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Sometimes I remember when they get the old Showa Ultraman leads wearing Jedi outfits in movie cameos and it just makes sense.

latest

coredecepts

Oct 27, 2017
My first Ultraman show was Orb. Can't be a worse jumping off point then that series.

Well actually there is Geed.
That's funny. After Z, I've moved onto Orb, and I was planning to watch Geed next.

Also catching Trigger as it airs.

Seems fine, I don't feel lost with Orb. Is there something I should know?

What Ultraman show(s) would you recommend?

Birdie

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I don't know what to feel about Revice having anniversary powers again despite making total sense. Not that it's bad, it's just not very special especially since Zi-O is quite recent.
SO apparently the Decade Megalodon thing was real, but all the other stuff about Legendary Rider forms was made up off of that...

So it might just be for the film, or a one-off?

MHWilliams

Oct 25, 2017
SO apparently the Decade Megalodon thing was real, but all the other stuff about Legendary Rider forms was made up off of that...

Maybe not all of them being Legend Rider, but the stamps have to X/X, because that's how they both switch forms. So Rider/Animal probably isn't the worst place to be.

Birdie

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I guess we'll see, from the summary of the film appearance and short episode I didn't quite get how it worked.

NeonZ

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017

We only know about the Decade Megalodon right now, as far as actual confirmations go. There is a Pteranodon stamp with no Rider motif, but it's used for a glider/drone apparently, so it might be like how the Watch for bikes in Zi-O also had no Rider motif.

Birdie

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I'm five episodes into Ultraman Z, and one of the main characters is actually a monster...but it's like the MAIN evil monster from another recent Ultraman series. Nothing in the actual show makes you think this is the case and you'd assume watching this fresh it's just an early twist and this is a brand new villain.

And now I think the Geed dude is popping back up. This definitely seems more connected to past series than Rider or Sentai typically does.

That's an unconfirmed leak. The actual toylists aren't identifying the collectibles at all, just listing them numerically. The press conference with the full announcement hasn't happened yet either.
Hmm, I saw the cactus mentioned the same day the cast list hit so I assumed that was legit but looking back it seems to be reports from the film so maybe not true or not necessarily a power up?

chaobreaker

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
That's funny. After Z, I've moved onto Orb, and I was planning to watch Geed next.

Also catching Trigger as it airs.

Seems fine, I don't feel lost with Orb. Is there something I should know?

What Ultraman show(s) would you recommend?

Orb is a fine watch. I was just totally thrown off by the powers being derived from other Ultramen. I had no idea who they are or why they give the powers they do. Knowing merely enhances the experience but they aren't expecting kids to understand decades old references anyway.

If you're already watching modern Ultraman then I suggest watching Mega Monster Battle: Ultra Galaxy. It's a good crash course to the wider Ultraman franchise. It also introduces Zero who reappears in most of the modern Ultraman series in some form or another. After that you just watch the New Generation series in release order starting with Ginga. YMMV but that series is a low-budget slog, but it's only 12 episodes long so it goes by quick and then you'll appreciate its superior sequel series Ginga S way more.

All these series have movie adaptations that are worth watching too.

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018
Ryuki oscillates between whether or not Ren and Shinji are an odd couple duo or mortal enemies. It's weird but I kinda dig it.

Only 10 episodes in though and they've already introduced quite a few Riders. The influence on Gaim... and most of Urobuchi's work for that matter, is very clear.

chaobreaker

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
People say Ryuki influenced Urobuchi when he made Madoka Magica and then later Gaim but how much of that is actually based in fact? Has he ever said that himself?

NeonZ

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
People say Ryuki influenced Urobuchi when he made Madoka Magica and then later Gaim but how much of that is actually based in fact? Has he ever said that himself?

-(Upon the interviewer mentioning Blasswreiter and Madoka Magica depicting the fear of transforming into a monster): That's precisely the fear Urobuchi felt when he first saw Kamen Rider as a child. Black left him with the impression that becoming a rider is a scary thing. Kamen Rider is about accepting and overcoming that fear, and he thinks that this might be subconsciously affecting his works.

-(Interviewer asks if he referred to Ryuuki while writing Madoka Magica which has similar themes): Kyouko was initially based on Asakura; A character showing up midway through who's nothing like what you'd expect for a character of the genre. But she ended up a good person because it's hard to make villains out of Aoki Ume's character designs. He finds it interesting how a writer can be influenced like that in anime, because in a novel the writer doesn't see any visuals until the book is done. In anime the writer changes stuff based on character designs and the voice actors' performances. During Blasswreiter, Itano told him "always come to recordings, because there's no telling what will happen", and he still follows that advice.

-(Interviewer mentions how people with pure wishes tend to have horrible endings in Urobuchi's stuff, using Madomagi's Sayaka and Fate/Zero's Kariya as examples): He thinks wishes are a sort of magic that bewitches you and causes you to lose your balance, and many people don't realise how scary this is. He thinks that how simply chasing a dream or wish is considered to be beautiful is a scam perpetuated by conmen, because it makes it easy for them to do business. He thinks the quote "dreams and curses are the same thing" from Faiz was magnificent. The idea "if you buy this, your dream/wish might come true" a fundamental component of all sorts of business. They're telling people to have a vision of what they want to become, and to head towards it. That on its own isn't a bad thing, but to say that's all to it is plain deception.

-(Interviewer points out how multiple endings and loops are common in video games, and asks what Urobuchi thinks, as a game writer): They're appropriate since battle royales in general are very game-like.

-(Interviewer asks why he thinks loop stuff like Ryuuki, Haruhi and Higurashi were popular in the 00s): It's something anyone who plays video games will imagine. The writer of All You Need Is Kill said he got his idea from video games' save/load functions, and everyone has died in a game and started over with the knowledge of what's coming next. Everyone probably thought of turning that into a proper story at the same time.

-(Interviewer asks why Madoka was a loop): He came up with Homura first as a character who, while silent, stays by Madoka's side and knows everything. The best way to get that to fit was a loop. He wanted to make a sort of betrayal, where this mysterious person plotting stuff in the background you can't seem to trust turns out to be the person who was thinking of the protagonist the most all along. So the loop was just to justify Homura's actions.

-Ryuuki was in 2002 and he was surprised that they did a loop at such an early point, and in a Kamen Rider.

I remember there was another interview, although I couldn't find it right now, where he mentions how Ryuki was an inspiration for the tension between characters, like when in Kyoko's intro they talk about the hunting territory of each magical girl, but that kind of goes back to her originally being Asakura inspired, I guess.

mrmoose

Nov 13, 2017
Orb is a fine watch. I was just totally thrown off by the powers being derived from other Ultramen. I had no idea who they are or why they give the powers they do. Knowing merely enhances the experience but they aren't expecting kids to understand decades old references anyway.

If you're already watching modern Ultraman then I suggest watching Mega Monster Battle: Ultra Galaxy. It's a good crash course to the wider Ultraman franchise. It also introduces Zero who reappears in most of the modern Ultraman series in some form or another. After that you just watch the New Generation series in release order starting with Ginga. YMMV but that series is a low-budget slog, but it's only 12 episodes long so it goes by quick and then you'll appreciate its superior sequel series Ginga S way more.

All these series have movie adaptations that are worth watching too.

Ah, thanks for this reminder, I hadn't watched it in like a decade and I forgot this comes before Ultraman Zero vs. Darklops Zero.

Luckily it's all in English now on Blu ray and pretty cheap as well.

jwk94

Oct 25, 2017
Ah, thanks for this reminder, I hadn't watched it in like a decade and I forgot this comes before Ultraman Zero vs. Darklops Zero.

Man how I wish Millcreek got the kamen rider license. I love shout, but mill really churns their stuff out and we get movies. I'm worried that we're not gonna get the rider movies. Back in the early heisei period, movies wouldn't matter, but post decade, those movies and teamups kinda add a bit of closure to some seasons.

chaobreaker

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017

If you're interested in consuming all the Ultraman Zero content then also watch The Revenge of Belial, Killer the Beatstar, Ultraman Saga, and then Ultra Zero Fight in that order.

mrmoose

Nov 13, 2017
If you're interested in consuming all the Ultraman Zero content then also watch The Revenge of Belial, Killer the Beatstar, Ultraman Saga, and then Ultra Zero Fight in that order.

Hmm...
One set has:
Ultra Galaxy Mega Monster Battle
Ultra Galaxy Mega Monster Battle: Never Ending Odyssey
Mega Monster Battle: Ultra Galxy

Then the other set has:
Ultraman Zero vs. Darklops Zero
Ultraman Zero: the Revenge of Belial
Ultraman Zero Side Sotry: Killer the Beastar
Ultraman Saga

Now where the heck is Ultra Zero Fight? :)

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
Belt design usually doesn't bother me , I can't really say there been a bad belt design personally. Until Revice, good lord the DX version would cause kids to topple over

chaobreaker

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Hmm...
One set has:
Ultra Galaxy Mega Monster Battle
Ultra Galaxy Mega Monster Battle: Never Ending Odyssey
Mega Monster Battle: Ultra Galxy

Then the other set has:
Ultraman Zero vs. Darklops Zero
Ultraman Zero: the Revenge of Belial
Ultraman Zero Side Sotry: Killer the Beastar
Ultraman Saga

Now where the heck is Ultra Zero Fight? :)

Ohh... They didn't include Zero Fight in the Blu-ray set. Strange.