• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

chaobreaker

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I'm surprised by how long Yuri is lasting as actually effective in battle in spite of no new forms. The writing staff seems to really like him.

We actually have full scans now.

It seems like the name is spelled "Xross Saber" and it can change forms into "Featuring Saber", combining with Blades' and Ikazuchi's main books and "Crimson Saber", with the 3 bookset used for Saber's first upgrade back in the beginning of the series.

I hope it has more going on than those ridebook combination upgrades.

At this point it's totally just a base form Saber repaint but with a different sword horn on its headpiece.

Harpoon

Oct 27, 2017
news.tokunation.com

Mill Creek To Release Gridman: The Hyper Agent Complete Series

Fans of the franchise have been enjoying the releases from - and now a new entry has been confirmed for this lineup! A new Complete Series release for the 1993 tokusatsu series has been confirmed, containing all 39 episodes of the iconic digital hero. Gridman: The Hyper Agent is currently...

Please let the subs be better than the ones Tsuburaya's been using on their YT uploads.

Mandos

Nov 27, 2017
news.tokunation.com

Fans of the franchise have been enjoying the releases from - and now a new entry has been confirmed for this lineup! A new Complete Series release for the 1993 tokusatsu series has been confirmed, containing all 39 episodes of the iconic digital hero. Gridman: The Hyper Agent is currently...

Please let the subs be better than the ones Tsuburaya's been using on their YT uploads.
Nice as the anime inspired by it has had me curious

jwk94

Oct 25, 2017
news.tokunation.com

What wrong with their subs? I'd be more worried about because it's already on tokuhd. After the agito debacle, I need to know who subbed this.

Harpoon

Oct 27, 2017
What wrong with their subs? I'd be more worried about because it's already on tokuhd. After the agito debacle, I need to know who subbed this.

They're poor translations, with such wonderful phrases like "make stupid human being bring to panic." I also believe they're the same subs on both YT and TokuHD.

Vareon

Oct 25, 2017
Finally caught up with Saber. The story is going places, lots of world-ending threats though they all felt vague since they don't show how the world reacted. It's not surprising but felt very hype when the swordsmen (and 1 woman) are coming together. Battle scenes are consistently good, and there are great bits in the story that was weakened by series's poor storytelling. It's still a mess of people shouting at each other, but what can you do at this point. The ride so far has been very entertaining, though.

Now on to Zenkaiger!

Birdie

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I feel bad for wanting Zox's brothers to stay fun SD robots and not become annoying Toku kids.

night814

One Winged Slayer
Oct 29, 2017
Pennsylvania
Currently my only exposure to OOO is the OOO/W Movie. I didn't really get what was going on in the OOO portion, but I did like the main character. Wasn't huge on the Rider design or power gimmick though. That being said, I absolutely loved when he transformed during a very solemn moment and "Taka! Tora! Batta! Ta-to-ba! Tatoba, Ta-to-ba!" just blares out in exactly the same way.

Is there a particular reason to watch these in order? I thought most Kamen Rider were self-contained outside a couple of crossovers, though I do understand Foundation X seems be a recurring group.
OOO is a good one-two punch follow up to W as they are fairly similar in good ways. They really aren't connected other then the few uses of Foundation X between the two(they may also be in Fourze at some point/movie/special but I think they were dropped after that). In those days the "double feature" movies that featured two different riders teaming up usually were pretty bad for the newer series since they were filmed very early on in the series with none of the character development or nuance that comes later. One of the worst examples from memory is Kiva appearing in one of the post-Den-O movies where Wataru is maybe in it 10 minutes with no discernable qualities aside from him maybe playing Violin. So don't let W/OOO movie war whatever it's called dissuade you from OOO, if you like the belt sounds you gotta watch it atleast for the Form battle themes they are all bangers with 2 of them easily being GOAT Rider battle song contenders.

GalaxyDive

Oct 25, 2017
OOO is a good one-two punch follow up to W as they are fairly similar in good ways. They really aren't connected other then the few uses of Foundation X between the two(they may also be in Fourze at some point/movie/special but I think they were dropped after that). In those days the "double feature" movies that featured two different riders teaming up usually were pretty bad for the newer series since they were filmed very early on in the series with none of the character development or nuance that comes later. One of the worst examples from memory is Kiva appearing in one of the post-Den-O movies where Wataru is maybe in it 10 minutes with no discernable qualities aside from him maybe playing Violin. So don't let W/OOO movie war whatever it's called dissuade you from OOO, if you like the belt sounds you gotta watch it atleast for the Form battle themes they are all bangers with 2 of them easily being GOAT Rider battle song contenders.
Foundation X is only used in any OOO crossover material; W was effectively trying to set it up as a new sort of Shocker, as far as having core medals mentioned as one of their "other projects" at the end of the series... but forgot who exactly, maybe Takebe (OOO's producer) wasn't a fan of that sort of continuity between the TV series so OOO's itself never mentions Foundation X at all.

And I mean, the new Rider's showing in Movie Wars can be really good sometimes, though OOO's in Movie Wars Core is notoriously bad.

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
Wow i just learned Ultraman actually has it origins as the kinda of japanese outer limits.

chaobreaker

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Slightly unrelated but did anyone here watch the American adaptation of Gridman when it was on TV?

1280px-SSSS-Logo.jpg

Kinda wild how so much 90s toku that wasn't Sentai got the Power Rangers treatment. Even Metal Heroes came out via Big Bad Beetleborgs and VR Troopers.

Wow i just learned Ultraman actually has it origins as the kinda of japanese outer limits.

Are you talking about Ultra Q? Yeah it's neat. Apparently Ultraman was supposed to be a villanous MOTW in that series before it was repurposed as the superhero in its series.

Last edited:

zeropercent

Teyvat Traveler
May 13, 2020
I feel bad for wanting Zox's brothers to stay fun SD robots and not become annoying Toku kids.
The twins in the photo are the same kid in two outfits photoshopped together so I assume they're going to be robots until the end of the show and when the big bad is defeated they'll be like 'aight time to jet off to fix this curse'

but speaking of Zox I'm lowkey upset they already shortened his henshin sequence. no! his stupid song and dance routine must continue in full for the next 35 episodes!

coredecepts

Oct 27, 2017
Even last year's Ultraman Z has a handful of episodes that fit right in with the sci-fi anthology style of Outer Limits. The ep that follows up on a storyline from an ep of the original Ultraman, with an alien hiding in plain sight as a human. Or the time loop one with Bullton. I'm sure there are others I'm forgetting.

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
Are you talking about Ultra Q? Yeah it's neat. Apparently Ultraman was supposed to be a villanous MOTW in that series before it was repurposed as the superhero in its series.
That actually makes sense, Ultraman always looked off to me. I can see him being an alien invader

chaobreaker

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Ultraman had a pretty ghoulish look to it in its earliest stages.

latest

The original series went through like 3 different suits and masks before it settled into what he looks like nowadays. It looked less like a giant gremlin each time.

Jakten

Oct 25, 2017
Devil World, Toronto
Slightly unrelated but did anyone here watch the American adaptation of Gridman when it was on TV?

1280px-SSSS-Logo.jpg

Kinda wild how so much 90s toku that wasn't Sentai got the Power Rangers treatment. Even Metal Heroes came out via Big Bad Beetleborgs and VR Troopers.

Out of all of them I feel like Superhuman Samurai was more faithful to the source material. They actually seemed to use stories/conflicts from Gridman instead of coming up with something mosty new. Takeshi/Digifer and Malcom/Kilo are almost exactly the same, even down to how they portray Takeshi as more of a joke than a threat. Hell even some of the settings look somewhat similar sometimes. I was surprised how familiar it felt when I watched it compared to when I watched Zyuranger. The biggest departures were more focus on school life and the band aspect. It sucks that they had to try and always angle everything around school so heavily. It's certainly a part of Gridman but they could do so much more storywise than Superhuman Samurai because they didn't always have to keep bringing everything back to school.

I have the christmas episode on VHS so it's the part I remember most. When I was a kid I prefered it to Power Rangers but that was mostly bcause I thought it had a better and more fleshed out concept where as Power Rangers felt a bit more slap dash. The school parts were certainly more embarassing than Power Rangers. It had the same kind of weird amateurish tone that Canadian kid-coms had which is hard to explain if you haven't seen them. It was also a really odd choice to make the main characters act so childish compared to how old they actually were, Sam basically talked like he was a baby. I was 10 when the show came out and Sam came across as super weird to me while the Power Rangers I generally believed were within a year or two from the age they were supposed to portray.

chaobreaker

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
It had the same kind of weird amateurish tone that Canadian kid-coms had which is hard to explain if you haven't seen them.

I am Canadian and know exactly what you mean. All the original footage was shot with a multi-cam sitcom setup describes like 99% of Canadian live action kids content back then. It feels cheaper compared to American live action kids program. Power Rangers had much more sophisticated sets even if the content wasn't all that much better.

Last edited:

Valkerion

Oct 29, 2017
Enjoying the .5 episodes of Zi-O more than the show itself lol. The "its all nonsense just enjoy the call backs" nature of them in a matter of fact way is fun. Find myself zoning out though during the main show when the main character is talking though. Only at episode 10 but I don't like him so far just because he hasn't had a hook at this point yet.

Chucker

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Maryland
Yeah, I picked that up real quick. I dropped off after Shattered Grid but the amount of stuff you get for $25 is absurd.

jwk94

Oct 25, 2017
Just finished up Gavan VS Dekaranger. That was excellent. Was Gavan's boss in Akibaranger? It seemed odd she'd make that reference to Ban. I get Ban popped up in Akibaranger, but it felt like she was in there too?

Also, someone please tell me this whole space squad stuff got more movies? From what I remember, they didn't?

Vareon

Oct 25, 2017
Oct 25, 2017
but speaking of Zox I'm lowkey upset they already shortened his henshin sequence. no! his stupid song and dance routine must continue in full for the next 35 episodes!
I called that early on. That thing is way too long to do in full every single episode.

This show is good about mixing things up like the roll call the last few episodes. Kyoryuger was also very good about this

OP
OP
DioMuller

DioMuller

Oct 25, 2017
Brazil
Just finished up Gavan VS Dekaranger. That was excellent. Was Gavan's boss in Akibaranger? It seemed odd she'd make that reference to Ban. I get Ban popped up in Akibaranger, but it felt like she was in there too?

Also, someone please tell me this whole space squad stuff got more movies? From what I remember, they didn't?

I think it was just a reference about Ban being there, but I could be wrong?

NeonZ

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017

There is a Kyuranger vs Space Squad tv tie-in episode and later on post-series movie too, although it's really more of Kyuranger movie with some Space Squad characters.

Mandos

Nov 27, 2017
time to start my adventure in Ultraman, thought I'd break out Ultra Q today because I'm taking a quiet day and it's going to be a scorcher. Only thing I've watched is the manga based anime which I know isn't classic Ultra.
Ultraman had a pretty ghoulish look to it in its earliest stages.

latest

The original series went through like 3 different suits and masks before it settled into what he looks like nowadays. It looked less like a giant gremlin each time.

Yeah I can see it. partly because the original was supposed to be B&W it's very gremlin and organic looking
I know this was discussed in the comics thread but there's another Humble Bundle with a ton of Boom Power Rangers Comics (digital of course):
www.humblebundle.com

Humble Comics Bundle: Mighty Morphin Power Rangers by BOOM! Studios

BOOM! Studios are bringing the Mighty Morphin’ Power Rangers in our new bundle, with comics like Mighty Morphin #1 & more! Pay what you want & support charity!
I'm grabbing this, only have periphery exposure due to the fighting game but I know they finally gave Snide his due didn't they?

Harpoon

Oct 27, 2017
The SSSS.Dynazenon Blu-ray releases in Japan are going to include an Ultra Fight-esque Toku miniseries, Gridknight Fight. I am highly disappointed this probably isn't going to be included in the Western release.

chaobreaker

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
The production notes of the new Saber episode implies that they're purposely shaking up final forms of Riders in the Reiwa era instead of making all-in-one final forms. That's why 02 is a different rider with a different belt and Xross Saber is just the base form with a new paint job. A paint job they did by hand apparently.

Props to them for trying to mix it up I guess.

GalaxyDive

Oct 25, 2017
The production notes of the new Saber episode implies that they're purposely shaking up final forms of Riders in the Reiwa era instead of making all-in-one final forms. That's why 02 is a different rider with a different belt and Xross Saber is just the base form with a new paint job. A paint job they did by hand apparently.

Props to them for trying to mix it up I guess.
For a by hand paint job, it sure is an.... ugh choice. Feels like a total monkey paw result of "I wish a final form wouldn't completely abandon the form change gimmick".

Vareon

Oct 25, 2017
The last Saber episode felt like a movie finale's set piece, it was so ambitious goddamn.

It's just weird seeing that world-ending level threat and VFX clash with the very low quality suit of Kamen Rider Solomon and very unambitious design of Xross Saber which is just a repaint instead of something that looked like a new base form like 02.

If you liked LONG henshin belt shouts even longer than Hyper Muteki Ex-Aid or even Grand Zi-O this form is a blessing though. That song is fire.

NeonZ

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
It basically worked as an insert this time. Although in the future I hope there is a shorter version.

Anyway, it was great to see a good director back after one month with weaker choices. Shibasaki handled the form's debut really well. Although there was a lot of "standing around looking at Touma", one especially noticeable shot when they seemingly had stopped fighting Master Logos just to do that.

Last edited:

chaobreaker

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Saber 38

Great episode overall and it had one the best debut of a final form I have ever seen. I might just start warming up to Xross Saber.

jwk94

Oct 25, 2017
What episode of zero one was it where Fua and Yua went ham on Gai's ass? I think somewhere in the late 30s?

OP
OP
DioMuller

DioMuller

Oct 25, 2017
Brazil
Saber 38

That was a good episode! I like this thing of final forms being simple, Saber's final form design weakness is being based on, well, Saber's suit, that isn't the strongest, but it still looks really good! Miles above most late Heisei final forms. New weapon too!

I wonder what will happen now. Will Saber avoid having a repetitive last arc?

Zenkai 14

Villain conflicts, hell yeah!

And holy hell, this is the best Zenkai episode up to now. So much fanservice, but it all serves the plot so well. Won't spoil much, but this is up there with Gokaiger and Akibaranger's greatest moments.

Birdie

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Yeah Saber is sticking the landing pretty well in the endgame. The usual issues with some characters taking too long to decide on what they're doing, and Master Logos is fun but close to becoming like Chronos where he becomes irrelevant in terms of threat level, but so far so good.

I feel like we'll have Legiel and then Desat step up soon as endgame.

PhoenixAKG

Aug 14, 2019
Yeah Saber is sticking the landing pretty well in the endgame. The usual issues with some characters taking too long to decide on what they're doing, and Master Logos is fun but close to becoming like Chronos where he becomes irrelevant in terms of threat level, but so far so good.

I feel like we'll have Legiel and then Desat step up soon as endgame.

Eh I think Master Logos's actor is trying too hard and it comes across as over the top and goofy rather than fun or unsettling.

I think you mean Storius but honestly the Megid generals are so bland and are all pretty much the same character. They do the same thing over and over again.

Desast is GOAT and fun. The best thing out of Saber. Love his hostile bromance with Ren (even though he sucks).

KingWillance

Oct 25, 2017
Really looking forward to this.

ULTRAMAN TRIGGER New Poster Revealed! M・A・O, Sumire Uesaka & More to Voice New Characters Premieres on July 10, 2021 | Tsuburaya Productions Co., Ltd

ULTRAMAN TRIGGER New Poster Revealed! M・A・O, Sumire Uesaka & More to Voice New Characters Premieres on July 10, 2021 Ultraman official website by Tsuburaya Productions.

OpLHZYOh.jpg

Alien Metron on the cover has me wondering if that's this season's kaiju companion. Would be pretty okay with that!

Harpoon

Oct 27, 2017
Alien Metron on the cover has me wondering if that's this season's kaiju companion. Would be pretty okay with that!

According to the article, yes!

Alien Metron Marluru
A wandering alien from Planet Metron who came to Earth shortly after the establishment of the Terrestrial Peaceable Union (TPU). Marluru has a wealth of knowledge on intergalactic monsters, and is assigned as operator for Expert Team GUTS-Select. Despite the cute and cuddly appearance, has a razor sharp tongue.

Vareon

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah the idea of Xross Saber is that it's a new basic form, he can use additional books to change forms like in the early part of the series but all is galaxy-colored. That's pretty rad.