• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Oct 28, 2017

People really just spilled the whole beans to Shirakura, huh?

I checked mentions for Shira-P's Twitter and there were a few utter tools who where giving him shit for the situation, but its not like he has a hand in Toei's decisions, nor does he probably give a damn about fansubs anyway. He's probably secretly happy that they exist because more people get to enjoy his work.

chaobreaker

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I checked mentions for Shira-P's Twitter and there were a few utter tools who where giving him shit for the situation, but its not like he has a hand in Toei's decisions, nor does he probably give a damn about fansubs anyway. He's probably secretly happy that they exist because more people get to enjoy his work.

The abuse and harassment by the same crowd is getting to him though.

He's the one of the few executives who interacts with English fans online and this is how they interact with him.

Fansub groups are bailing or going underground to avoid legal troubles because people are snitching on the whole community to Shira-P. I'm at a lost for words. Some are still doing it. All over some trash official subs of Faiz that are beyond his control.

Don't get me started on the toy catalog fiasco from two year ago too. Just shitty people all around this fanbase.

Injustice45

Oct 29, 2017
I watched the first three episodes of Kamen Rider Saber and... it's okay. I'm a bit annoyed with the green screen and Mei is annoying and useless. But, I like Touma and Rintaro so far. The suits and belts look pretty cool. Should I continue it?

NeonZ

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
I watched the first three episodes of Kamen Rider Saber and... it's okay. I'm a bit annoyed with the green screen and Mei is annoying and useless. But, I like Touma and Rintaro so far. The suits and belts look pretty cool. Should I continue it?
The show tones down the CG background stuff after the first 6 or so episodes. Although the weird pacing continues for a while.

He's the one of the few executives who interacts with English fans online and this is how they interact with him.

Fansub groups are bailing or going underground to avoid legal troubles because people are snitching on the whole community to Shira-P. I'm at a lost for words. Some are still doing it. All over some trash official subs of Faiz that are beyond his control.

Don't get me started on the toy catalog fiasco from two year ago too. Just shitty people all around this fanbase.

this situation is so so dumb

NeonZ

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
Weird pacing? I am aware that lots of riders pop up in the first ten or so episodes, but are the pacing issues story related?
The early episodes just feel like they're skipping scenes at times or have really clumsy moments like introducing one character, then giving the rest of the episode and the next one to another character, before actually returning to that one.

MHWilliams

Oct 25, 2017

Folks need to leave that man alone.

OptiveLink

Oct 25, 2017
Some fans can be the biggest shitheads. I'm going to stop doing Rider pics for a while after all this. Too toxic rn.

OP
OP
DioMuller

DioMuller

Oct 25, 2017
Brazil
Saber 36

Pretty good episode! They are finally taking all the messy loose threads and making something enjoyable with it. Now let's just hope they don't mess it up... again.

Zenkai 12

Awesome episode, as always! Good MotW, good gimmicks, good fanservice.

I feel bad for Stacy, since Zox always steals his thunder.

mrmoose

Nov 13, 2017
Before that revelation that it was probably idiots on twitter that started this whole takedown thing, I would have been excited at the possibility that they decide to simulcast the next show. But I guess not.

I see the "alternative" means for releasing the new episodes as they come out but I guess the back catalog is basically gone? I have more than enough KR to last me but that means I'm going to stop halfway through Build... :)

CBTech

Oct 25, 2017
Finished up Kamen Rider W the other day including the movies. Overall I had a lot of fun watching this series and glad I chose it as my first Kamen Rider. The characters were fun even if they weren't that complex. I wish Akiko got to be more than comedy relief, though she does have her moments. I never got used to the Xtreme design and still don't think it looks good. As for the movies, I think that both Movie Wars (especially the Decade one) had good stories and added some nice development and background for certain characters. Both the Eternal movies I was indifferent on. The first one was ok, but the second one was not good at all. I think the Never were good antagonists, but did not make good anti-heroes. It doesn't help Reika's outfit looks ridiculous compared to the men on the squad and Kyosui is somehow an offensive stereotype of both gay men and trans women. Eternal's design is great though. The Accel movie was a standout. Definitely the best choreographed fight scenes in the series and was very entertaining, though I could have done without the cliche divorce B-plot.

I was going to watch a Sentai series next, but I'm not sure what's available due to what y'all have been talking about over the past couple of pages. As for the next Kamen Rider I watch, I've heard Fourze is good so I might check that out though I don't love the suit design from the couple of images I've seen.

That being said, I've actually started watching Gridman. After watching SSSS.Gridman and keeping up with SSSS.Dynazenon, I've been curious about the original show. Four episodes in and its been fun so far. I love Gridman's design even though I think the monsters haven't been too interesting. Gridman is made by the Ultraman people, right?

OptiveLink

Oct 25, 2017
Finished up Kamen Rider W the other day including the movies. Overall I had a lot of fun watching this series and glad I chose it as my first Kamen Rider. The characters were fun even if they weren't that complex. I wish Akiko got to be more than comedy relief, though she does have her moments. I never got used to the Xtreme design and still don't think it looks good. As for the movies, I think that both Movie Wars (especially the Decade one) had good stories and added some nice development and background for certain characters. Both the Eternal movies I was indifferent on. The first one was ok, but the second one was not good at all. I think the Never were good antagonists, but did not make good anti-heroes. It doesn't help Reika's outfit looks ridiculous compared to the men on the squad and Kyosui is somehow an offensive stereotype of both gay men and trans women. Eternal's design is great though. The Accel movie was a standout. Definitely the best choreographed fight scenes in the series and was very entertaining, though I could have done without the cliche divorce B-plot.

I was going to watch a Sentai series next, but I'm not sure what's available due to what y'all have been talking about over the past couple of pages. As for the next Kamen Rider I watch, I've heard Fourze is good so I might check that out though I don't love the suit design from the couple of images I've seen.
It's honestly baffling how bad it is. It's like they were trying to make it worse in every way possible.

I recommend Samurai Sentai Shinkenger for a Sentai show and I recommend Kamen Rider OOO before Fourze.
(Fourze ranks higher for me, but I know that the high school tone isn't for everyone. There are some very memorable moments in this show though.)

KingWillance

Oct 25, 2017

That being said, I've actually started watching Gridman. After watching SSSS.Gridman and keeping up with SSSS.Dynazenon, I've been curious about the original show. Four episodes in and its been fun so far. I love Gridman's design even though I think the monsters haven't been too interesting. Gridman is made by the Ultraman people, right?

Fourze may still be my favorite Kamen Rider even after the very good shows in recent memory. It does a lot of stuff that we'll probably never see again and tells a well-constructed story with a great cast. If you started with W, though, not much reason not to watch the 'neo-Heisei' or whatever series in order (though please please please feel free to skip Wizard and Ghost). OOO is messy but still has a lot of good in it.

GalaxyDive

Oct 25, 2017
I feel bad for Stacy, since Zox always steals his thunder.
Yeah, just unfortunate timing for Stacy. Didn't get any room to breathe after being introduced; Zox represents all of Zenkaiger's Q2 toys so he's gonna be pushed to the moon these eps.

Re: Reika, that's a Koichi Sakamoto trademark. He's a great director who's worked on Rider, Sentai, and Ultra (and Power Rangers) but also kinda a perv.

As for a Sentai recommendation... well it's wide open. I feel like it tends to be more consistent than Rider, there are very few underwhelming options that might not make for a good first series. Despite current events, most more recent series should still be pretty easily obtainable, while all the series from the early 90s through early 00s are free to stream via Shout Factory/Tubi.

Are there any particular elements to a series that tend to be more attractive to you? i.e. plot, characters, designs, mecha, themes (fantasy/magic vs science/tech) etc? While all Sentai have comedic elements, there are also a few that are more full-on comedy compared to others that stick a bit more serious.

Last edited:

Pluto

Oct 25, 2017
All sentai are available. ;)

I recommend Gekiranger, Shinkenger, Abaranger. Megaranger or Timeranger.

Fourze is a great Kamen Rider, one of my favorites.

NeonZ

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
The "Revice" name kind of makes me think it could be another crossover Rider in spite of Zi-O being very recent. "Redo/Revive/Revise" Device sounds like it could be a name for a Driver based on using past powers.

KingWillance

Oct 25, 2017
The "Revice" name kind of makes me think it could be another crossover Rider in spite of Zi-O being very recent. "Redo/Revive/Revise" Device sounds like it could be a name for a Driver based on using past powers.

If it was somehow another past powers rider than we'd officially be in Ultraman territory. Wonder if it could be, like, rev-ice instead and we'd have another engine theme. Or it could be an FFXIII crossover

CBTech

Oct 25, 2017
I recommend Samurai Sentai Shinkenger for a Sentai show and I recommend Kamen Rider OOO before Fourze.
(Fourze ranks higher for me, but I know that the high school tone isn't for everyone. There are some very memorable moments in this show though.)
If you started with W, though, not much reason not to watch the 'neo-Heisei' or whatever series in order (though please please please feel free to skip Wizard and Ghost). OOO is messy but still has a lot of good in it.

Currently my only exposure to OOO is the OOO/W Movie. I didn't really get what was going on in the OOO portion, but I did like the main character. Wasn't huge on the Rider design or power gimmick though. That being said, I absolutely loved when he transformed during a very solemn moment and "Taka! Tora! Batta! Ta-to-ba! Tatoba, Ta-to-ba!" just blares out in exactly the same way.

Is there a particular reason to watch these in order? I thought most Kamen Rider were self-contained outside a couple of crossovers, though I do understand Foundation X seems be a recurring group.

Are there any particular elements to a series that tend to be more attractive to you? i.e. plot, characters, designs, mecha, themes (fantasy/magic vs science/tech) etc? While all Sentai have comedic elements, there are also a few that are more full-on comedy compared to others that stick a bit more serious.
I recommend Gekiranger, Shinkenger, Abaranger. Megaranger or Timeranger.

Thanks for the recommendations. I think designs are what initially attract me to a series, though I think good characters and story are actually the most important thing to me and will carry me through any misgivings I might have about the designs or theme. Kamen Rider W was a good first Kamen Rider for me because I liked the designs and it turned out the characters were good as well. Fourze on the other hand is one where I look at the design and just don't vibe with it, but I hear the characters are great and people seem to like it so I plan on giving it a shot.

modoversus

Oct 25, 2017
México
So I started watching the first episode of Girl Gun Lady, mainly to laugh at it, but....actually enjoyed it a lot. I mean, there are very silly things, specially on the early episodes but then it's your standard "people trapped in a game to the death, main character must find a way to stop the game or find a reason to fight".

So, your Ryuki/Garo Versus Road stuff, but on a way smaller scale (and budget) It does have a few twists here and there.

The gun design is really bad. Like, someone just rotated horizontally the gun barrel and called it a day. Everyone looks like they are about to shoot themselves with their own gun. Even the main actress mentions that she and her collagues tought the gun was backwards. Fingers should not be ahead of the barrel, but that's where the triggers are.

Tonal whiplash? You bet! Its harder on the earlier episodes, but then it settles on a more consistent tone. You have musical idol numbers while the characters build their plastic guns, and then later use these guns to commit violence. They fire like lazer guns, but they draw blood and a single shot does not necessarly means death.

My understanding is that it's going to be 10 episodes, and is currently on episode 8.

GalaxyDive

Oct 25, 2017
Thanks for the recommendations. I think designs are what initially attract me to a series, though I think good characters and story are actually the most important thing to me and will carry me through any misgivings I might have about the designs or theme. Kamen Rider W was a good first Kamen Rider for me because I liked the designs and it turned out the characters were good as well. Fourze on the other hand is one where I look at the design and just don't vibe with it, but I hear the characters are great and people seem to like it so I plan on giving it a shot.
Sentai story on the whole isn't going to be as serialized as some Kamen Rider series are, but there are many that do have more of a focus on the overarching plot than others. In addition to some of the other recommendations, I'd suggest Magiranger as another possibility. It has fun characters (all siblings) and is definitely on the more story-focused side; it's more cleanly divided into story arcs than most Sentai, each with increasing stakes.

NeonZ

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
Is there a particular reason to watch these in order? I thought most Kamen Rider were self-contained outside a couple of crossovers, though I do understand Foundation X seems be a recurring group.
People generally recommend those three in order due to the Megamax movie, which takes place during early Fourze (and is referenced by the tv show later on) is a pretty good movie and features those three Riders. Also, although the plot is mostly Foundation X related, which is a W/Fourze element, the OOO part is a direct epilogue to the tv show so most of the appeal for that one is having watched OOO.

TheAggroCraig

One Winged Slayer
Nov 6, 2017
Currently my only exposure to OOO is the OOO/W Movie. I didn't really get what was going on in the OOO portion, but I did like the main character. Wasn't huge on the Rider design or power gimmick though. That being said, I absolutely loved when he transformed during a very solemn moment and "Taka! Tora! Batta! Ta-to-ba! Tatoba, Ta-to-ba!" just blares out in exactly the same way.

I went from W right to OOO last year (note that Build was my first series and W was my second) and fell in love with OOO overall (it's probably my #2 series overall), the main suit isn't the best but man, the combo suits are all awesome, and I really enjoy the cast as well.

Valkerion

Oct 29, 2017
Jumped into Zi-O this week. I almost always hate time travel plots and this seems like it will be frustrating to sit through as well lol. I also love that they have the little segment between episodes to explain things, but ended with "rule 3, don't worry about the details of the time travel" haha.

Not super compelled to watch it past episode 4 at the moment but I might keep trying a bit more.

chaobreaker

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Jumped into Zi-O this week. I almost always hate time travel plots and this seems like it will be frustrating to sit through as well lol. I also love that they have the little segment between episodes to explain things, but ended with "rule 3, don't worry about the details of the time travel" haha.

Not super compelled to watch it past episode 4 at the moment but I might keep trying a bit more.

They mostly drop the time travel stuff later on. I suggest going through it and see if you like the episodes past the first quarter.

hutna

Oct 25, 2017
So I started watching the first episode of Girl Gun Lady, mainly to laugh at it, but....actually enjoyed it a lot. I mean, there are very silly things, specially on the early episodes but then it's your standard "people trapped in a game to the death, main character must find a way to stop the game or find a reason to fight".

So, your Ryuki/Garo Versus Road stuff, but on a way smaller scale (and budget) It does have a few twists here and there.

The gun design is really bad. Like, someone just rotated horizontally the gun barrel and called it a day. Everyone looks like they are about to shoot themselves with their own gun. Even the main actress mentions that she and her collagues tought the gun was backwards. Fingers should not be ahead of the barrel, but that's where the triggers are.

Tonal whiplash? You bet! Its harder on the earlier episodes, but then it settles on a more consistent tone. You have musical idol numbers while the characters build their plastic guns, and then later use these guns to commit violence. They fire like lazer guns, but they draw blood and a single shot does not necessarly means death.

My understanding is that it's going to be 10 episodes, and is currently on episode 8.

My wife and I started Girl Gun Lady and we were actually really digging the first episode until the weird model kit building / idol song montage which just was really strange. As fans of plamo we would have just preferred they show the protagonist building her model kit. The idol thing was so superfluous it felt like the producers thought the audience needed it to make it entertaining; one of those things where the show's production betrays itself since part of the whole point of the show is the "unlikely" hobby of a high school girl building plamo.
It's great that it's easily accessible in the west to watch. If only other toku had such foresight....

chaobreaker

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Magazine scans are out.

Saber's final form is called Cross Saber. I think it's implied that it's a half-step before it's true final form as it's a just a complete recolor of base form Saber.

Harpoon

Oct 27, 2017
Kamen Rider Drive

This was one that felt slow (I'm sure there's a joke you can make in there...) and kind of boring at the beginning, with it feeling like the cast and crew needed a bit to get into the swing of things; even the Roidmudes' whole schtick was something that took several episodes to really set in stone. Following Mach's introduction, however, things really took off. Shinnosuke had a lot of great dynamics with the rest of the cast and some relatable flaws, even if that arc about his father really felt like it came out of nowhere (as great as it was) and supplanted his previous arc concerning his guilt. Gou and Chase were my absolute favourites, however, and Kiriko was awesome in how she got to kick some ass; she felt a little too passive in that last arc, however, when it really felt like she should have had more of an active role given what was going on. It was still nice how most of the supporting cast got a turn in the spotlight, and the Roidmudes turning out to have more dimensions to them as the show went on was really lovely. Banno is also now one of my top Rider villains just for how much of a bastard he was.

The Riders' base forms were all some of my favourites to date, so it was disappointing that a lot of their transformations were unable to live up to them (all of Chaser's looks were aces, though). I'm also probably wrong about this, but the number of Shift Cars felt much higher than the number of power-ups in the other Rider shows I've seen; it certainly seemed like there were a ton that wouldn't be used for dozens of episodes after being introduced, which was a shame since I liked a lot of the wackier ones (even with some of the CG not being the greatest). There were also a lot of top-notch fights in this one... shout-out to that final bout between Mach and Gold Drive in particular!

Overall, a show that I liked a lot more by the end than I did initially. If I had to choose between Drive and Zero-One as my preferred "Kamen Rider vs. robots" show, I'd prooooobably go with Drive. Next up is another one I've been wanting to watch since seeing the main Rider's base design: Build!

p.s. the Signal Axe is the best weapon ever

chaobreaker

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
www.cbr.com

Kamen Rider Had Some STRANGE Nickelodeon & Disney Channel Cameos

Kamen Rider is rarely broadcast in America. However, some of its toys ended up making weird cameos in Nickelodeon and Disney Channel shows.

They missed one, kiva's belt was used in an ep of lab rats

Has to be from a crew member's stash of toku toys. I mean one of those is from Wizard, which was barely 3 years old when it was used as a prop for that sitcom. You don't just find DX toys like that on Goodwill.

Kakihara and Yodonna are getting a spinoff movie (?)

They're advertising this as "Sexy violent action entertainment" that kids shouldn't watch.

Of course Koichi Sakamoto is directing it lmao

Last edited:

jwk94

Oct 25, 2017
Has to be from a crew member's stash of toku toys. I mean one of those is from Wizard, which was barely 3 years old when it was used as a prop for that sitcom. You don't just find DX toys like that on Goodwill.
Ironically enough, that's exactly how I found my wizard belt here in the states. Went to this cheap used items shop in Nashville and low and behold: a wizard belt for $10. Was my first rider belt!

chaobreaker

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I spent way too much on imports of Japanese children's toys to have them be resold at a used items shop for only double digit prices.

Harpoon

Oct 27, 2017
ultramangalaxy.com

“ULTRAMAN CONNECTION LIVE: SEVENGER FIGHT”VIRTUAL EVENT WILL DEBUT “SEVENGER” MINISERIES& FEATURE SPECIAL GUESTS FOR INTERNATIONAL ULTRAMAN FANS | Ultraman Galaxy

Ultra-fans rejoice! Tsuburaya Productions, in conjunction with Iceberg Theory, has just announced a virtual event called Ultraman Connection Live: Sevenger Fight, which will take place on Thursday, June 3, 2021, at 9pm EDT/ 6pm PDT. Tickets for the event are now on sale at...

I enjoyed Z so much that I'm thinking I might attend this.

OP
OP
DioMuller

DioMuller

Oct 25, 2017
Brazil
Saber 37

This episode was good. Funny scenes, plot progression, things make sense. And while I still think the actor choice was weird, they are selling Master Logos as menacing, while the actor *does* make the character entertaining.

Yeah, the plot and motivations are still trash, but at least it's fun to watch now.

Zenkai 13

Now this was a good episode. Creative use of recycling assets, and great fights.
The mecha fight in special was 100/10 on how it used recycled footage.

Also, soundtrack is still top notch.

NeonZ

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
I'm surprised by how long Yuri is lasting as actually effective in battle in spite of no new forms. The writing staff seems to really like him.

Magazine scans are out.

Saber's final form is called Cross Saber. I think it's implied that it's a half-step before it's true final form as it's a just a complete recolor of base form Saber.

We actually have full scans now.

It seems like the name is spelled "Xross Saber" and it can change forms into "Featuring Saber", combining with Blades' and Ikazuchi's main books and "Crimson Saber", with the 3 bookset used for Saber's first upgrade back in the beginning of the series.

Harpoon

Oct 27, 2017
I'm surprised by how long Yuri is lasting as actually effective in battle in spite of no new forms. The writing staff seems to really like him.

I'm pretty happy about that as he does have one of the best looks in the show. Having one of the Riders in the book-themed show be influenced by American comic books was genius.