• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

NeonZ

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
I wonder how much licensing S. Sentai as "Power Rangers" really brings to the table for them 🤔

Like, honestly I wouldn't mind one bit losing Power Rangers altogether and to see what they try to do with SS for a worldwide audience, similar to Ultraman right now (Including simulcasts)
Kamen Rider has no Power Rangers issue and Toei still took years to do anything. They just aren't that invested in a global strategy, just individually licensing material if there is any interest.

mrmoose

Nov 13, 2017
So after reading the announcement from over-time... yeah it's not looking great, at least not unless/until Toei actually start releasing stuff over here like Tsubaraya does with Ultraman.

Vareon

Oct 25, 2017
"Sentai sales are declining."
"Maybe we should let overseas customers watch the latest season easily, who knows they might order our toys. Ultraman seems to be enjoying rise of sales."
"Haha no"

(okay it's not that clear cut--I assume this has something to do with production committee and lots of conflicting interest, but optics are not good)

chaobreaker

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
This just pushed fansubbing more undergound, which makes it harder for people to get into toku than before.

Deleted member 6056

Oct 25, 2017
Havent watched Kamen Rider since Build. On a scale of 1 to 10 how do you rate the shows that came after that?

Pluto

Oct 25, 2017
If the cease and desist is real this could mean Toei is actually planning to do more with sentai and rider in the west, it's not like TVN, Over-Time etc. where operating in the shadows, Toei must have known about fansubs for years, I don't think they'd randomly decide to shut them down now after almost two decades unless there was a good reason for it.

I't also important to remember that fansubs are illegal, fansubbers distribute pirated material usually in very high quality, there's no grey area or whatever some people want to call it and the argument that fansubbers actually help the product by making it more accessible is kind of bullshit because while it might be true that some people bought changers and other merchandise because they watched fansubs that doesn't mean it's actually an advantage for the owners, that's just the lie we as consumers tell ourselves to justify watching stuff we know is illegal.

I'm not saying I'm not a bit annoyed that fansubs could disappear but I'm not going to pretend that Toei is stupid or somehow wrong for protecting their rights.

Oct 25, 2017
Saban has known about the fansubs for years (that one Super Megaforce commercial that used a TVN clip), so by proxy I imagine Toei has known about them.
The optimistic outcome is that Toei is finally letting official simulcasts happen. They're allowing Precure now, so surely KR and Sentai can happen too.

The Hobo

Oct 27, 2017
Saban has known about the fansubs for years (that one Super Megaforce commercial that used a TVN clip), so by proxy I imagine Toei has known about them.
The optimistic outcome is that Toei is finally letting official simulcasts happen. They're allowing Precure now, so surely KR and Sentai can happen too.

Kamen Rider, yes. Super Sentai however is complicated due to Power Rangers.

GalaxyDive

Oct 25, 2017
True, but with all those rumors about Hasbro striking out on their own, Toei may have an opportunity now. Maybe. Have to see how things shake out.
Even if Hasbro does, they still control everything about the brand in the US and many other international markets. If they've been blocking Shout from releasing subs of Fiveman and any other Sentai, then I doubt they're just gonna let Super Sentai exist in the west without fundamental changes to their relationship with Toei.
Havent watched Kamen Rider since Build. On a scale of 1 to 10 how do you rate the shows that came after that?
Zi-O would probably be a 7/10, occasionally rising to 11/10 if you're a fan of a few certain series such as Kabuto or Agito (or Smug Decade in general)

Zero One is a solid 8/10, might even be higher if it didn't have a few hiccups.

Saber so far probably 6/10 though I understand it's second half has picked up some.

MHWilliams

Oct 25, 2017
If the cease and desist is real this could mean Toei is actually planning to do more with sentai and rider in the west, it's not like TVN, Over-Time etc. where operating in the shadows, Toei must have known about fansubs for years, I don't think they'd randomly decide to shut them down now after almost two decades unless there was a good reason for it.

I't also important to remember that fansubs are illegal, fansubbers distribute pirated material usually in very high quality, there's no grey area or whatever some people want to call it and the argument that fansubbers actually help the product by making it more accessible is kind of bullshit because while it might be true that some people bought changers and other merchandise because they watched fansubs that doesn't mean it's actually an advantage for the owners, that's just the lie we as consumers tell ourselves to justify watching stuff we know is illegal.

I'm not saying I'm not a bit annoyed that fansubs could disappear but I'm not going to pretend that Toei is stupid or somehow wrong for protecting their rights.
Team Kamen Rider pointed to the large community in the US for creating a need for their branch and more direct sales.

So, what's your theory on where that comes from?

Further, the rights holder is making money on those sales. Now perhaps the right holder in this case is planning on actually servicing the market in some appreciable way, but there's only a few indicators in that direction. If Toei is getting on the ball, all in.

And perhaps, doing research and writing an article on retro gaming and game archival rankles me on talk of "grey areas". Alas.

Last edited:

Birdie

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I feel every couple of years we have a big scare about fansubs disappearing.

Edit : okay this time it seems more likely fuck

mrmoose

Nov 13, 2017

I do think they need to enforce their copyright and they have every right to do so.

However, considering they do nothing with the KR brand at all in the US, it has only been a net positive for them. None of that Bluefin stuff would've sold nearly as much without the fansubs. If and when they actually release stuff like Zero One AND it doesn't sell, then we can talk about damage to the brand, but right now, there's no way that it hasn't opened Toku up to a lot more people than ever. People aren't pirating to avoid the official release or anything like that. Still illegal, I just take issue with it being some kind of disadvantage to Toei.

SageShinigami

Oct 27, 2017

You didn't actually explain how it's "kinda bullshit". And in any case this makes some assumptions that Toei is planning to simulcast (or something close to that) Kamen Rider and Super Sentai. It COULD happen, but in the meantime you're allowing mediocre subs like the ones this thread was complaining about earlier for older shows and NO subs for current shows. You're basically saying "We don't want your interest and we'll tell you when we do". And you're correct that's their "right", but fans can get a little irked about that.

Mandos

Nov 27, 2017
Looks like I can now say Ihave a Toku collection(I've had the Godzilla movies a while, just grabbed the Ultra shows on sale)
image0.jpg

Been curious about the Ultra series since the anime last year, amazon had these guys at $15 each so I decided to bite. I've loved Toku since I started watching Godzilla movies rented from blockbuster once a week while visiting my grandparents after middle school. Got into power rangers a few years ago and I've sampled some Kaitetsu Zubat and Kamen Rider(original). These guys seemed like a fun bet and I'm likely going to have limited internet access this summer so I decided it'd be nice to have some shows(I'm annoyed I didn't double check that the normal release on Ultraman was discounted too, that break in the spines due to the steel book will annoy me for a while).

Hunh just noticed some of the newer ones are on sale too, which of those are worth rounding this out with?

MHWilliams

Oct 25, 2017
Looks like I can now say Ihave a Toku collection(I've had the Godzilla movies a while, just grabbed the Ultra shows on sale)
image0.jpg

Been curious about the Ultra series since the anime last year, amazon had these guys at $15 each so I decided to bite. I've loved Toku since I started watching Godzilla movies rented from blockbuster once a week while visiting my grandparents after middle school. Got into power rangers a few years ago and I've sampled some Kaitetsu Zubat and Kamen Rider(original). These guys seemed like a fun bet and I'm likely going to have limited internet access this summer so I decided it'd be nice to have some shows(I'm annoyed I didn't double check that the normal release on Ultraman was discounted too, that break in the spines due to the steel book will annoy me for a while).

Hunh just noticed some of the newer ones are on sale too, which of those are worth rounding this out with?

Yeah, it's worth it. And the prices on all those Ultraman sets are great.

What? I can buy all the sets and readily watch them because the rights holder wants to expand the brand? *shock*

Mandos

Nov 27, 2017
Yeah, it's worth it. And the prices on all those Ultraman sets are great.

What? I can buy all the sets and readily watch them because the rights holder wants to expand the brand? *shock*
Yeah asked a friend and he said those are the 4 classic ones worth getting(especially with the current sale). I also just realized some of the newer shows(Blu-ray series + movie) are on sale too, any of those worth getting(Orb[$18], Geed[$23], Ginga/Ginga S+[both plus movies at $16])

Mandos

Nov 27, 2017
Orb and Geed would be my picks. I don't know anything about Ginga.
Leaning Orb, is the prequel series any good? That's pretty cheap too. Sadly ultra galaxy monster battle(I'm told it's basically a setup for it?) isn't available right now so I'm thinking I'll skip Geed for now I think

Last edited:

coredecepts

Oct 27, 2017
Leaning Orb, is the prequel series any good? That's pretty cheap too. Sadly ultra galaxy monster battle(I'm told it's basically a setup for it?) isn't available right now so I'm thinking I'll skip Geed for now I think
I'm in the middle of Orb right now, haven't watched the prequel series yet. But I'm planning to watch it!

ash32121

Oct 27, 2017
Orb prequel is pretty meh, Orb's main story is pretty strong. Ginga is when they have no money, so it has 1 setting and the plot is pretty bad, Ginga S they have a bit more money so it's much better. Though the story still bad.

If you finish Orb, you can watch the sort of, but not really, sequel Ultraman Z on Youtube

Yes, they put officially translate Ultraman on Youtube, the whole series, in ready for the new Ultraman show in July.

Mandos

Nov 27, 2017
Ok decided to order Orb then. And now I'm good for a while XD. Have enough of a backlog between this and my anime collection even if I'll have spotty WiFi this summer. May work on some Carranger and Kamen rider on Tubi for a bit. Started the latter but need to get back to it

Pluto

Oct 25, 2017
You didn't actually explain how it's "kinda bullshit".
It's bullshit because fansubs are illegal and fans are mostly using "it helps to promote the brand" as a justification when in reality it doesn't justify the distribution of pirated episodes and movies. Even if it does end up promoting the brand, fans don't get to decide when and how to promote something through illegal means.
And I'm not innocent either, I've watched fansubs for years and I am annoyed that they might go away but I'm also aware that that makes me an entitled fan who expects HD files for free a day or two after it airs in Japan.

Let's assume you wrote a novel and I pirate your book, translate it and release it for free and then I start telling people "I'm giving SageShinigami credit and promote his work". Would you be glad that I'm doing it and let a foreign audience discover your work or would you think it's kinda bullshit and I should cut the crap and stop stealing your property?

SageShinigami

Oct 27, 2017
It's bullshit because fansubs are illegal and fans are mostly using "it helps to promote the brand" as a justification when in reality it doesn't justify the distribution of pirated episodes and movies. Even if it does end up promoting the brand, fans don't get to decide when and how to promote something through illegal means.
And I'm not innocent either, I've watched fansubs for years and I am annoyed that they might go away but I'm also aware that that makes me an entitled fan who expects HD files for free a day or two after it airs in Japan.

Let's assume you wrote a novel and I pirate your book, translate it and release it for free and then I start telling people "I'm giving SageShinigami credit and promote his work". Would you be glad that I'm doing it and let a foreign audience discover your work or would you think it's kinda bullshit and I should cut the crap and stop stealing your property?

I realize you might not believe this, but I'd actually be excited that a foreign audience was checking my work out. That's fucking cool as shit and if it caught on maybe I could get a better deal for my next project. Particularly if I couldn't have afforded to have it translated myself. (In Toei's case, they could afford it but didn't think it'd be worth their money.)

Vareon

Oct 25, 2017
I realize you might not believe this, but I'd actually be excited that a foreign audience was checking my work out. That's fucking cool as shit and if it caught on maybe I could get a better deal for my next project. Particularly if I couldn't have afforded to have it translated myself. (In Toei's case, they could afford it but didn't think it'd be worth their money.)

Many Japanese artists are very outspoken about how they don't like their work being put on illegal manga websites, while some took a hands-off approach ("well it already happened anyway, just please support the official release when it's available"). Pluto's point is we shouldn't be the ones arguing how piracy is fucking cool and helped them--just honor the creator (or holder's) wishes as they are the ones who might have something to lose.

I disagree this being gray area, though. It's illegal, BUT illegal isn't the same as forbidden or even right or wrong. It just means the law isn't going to be on your side when copyright holders decided to take action (whether it's justified or not). The problem with this is not about Toei reinforcing their protection, but closing the biggest access to their property without following up with an easier and legal means, which pretty much antagonized most of their foreign fanbase.

MHWilliams

Oct 25, 2017

I mean, assuming folks are reading my work in other languages that I'm not offering it, then whatever. I'm not offering it in that language. Someone can take my articles, translation them into Russian, and as long as they're actually crediting me and not passing it off as their own work, whatever. And I'm not talking in abstract here, as my work is readily available in English.

Alternatively, if I want to actually produce my work in Russian, then I'd expect them to stop and go through legal means. But if you don't give consumers legal means...

Again, this is why I bring up game archival, which is the area that changed my mind. Up until the SNES Classic came out, for example, Star Fox 2 was only available in ROM form. Period. That's Nintendo's legal right. But does it actually make it right? Probably not. (See also, fangames, which are technically illegal, but... ) Another good example is Macross, which wasn't even legal in the US until recently. Wuxiaworld operates in the middle ground, translate a very wide variety of Chinese works, licensing the ones they can and removing books as needed by request of the license holder. (One holder even just purchased the translations, and moved them to their own website.) Or the big three consoles in China, which for a long time were illegal imports only.

TL;DR: If you aren't offering the work in a legal manner for the consumer, then you cede that ground. Not legally of course, but I doubt you're doing anything to help the community around it. You're largely just saying you don't care. And many markets and mediums have made great strides in bringing that content to new markets. The key is availability.

Oct 28, 2017
Its insane to think that any kind of foreign media might get off the ground in another country without piracy as a means for people to discover they actually enjoy it. People generally don't buy into something without giving it a risk-free trial at first. The work done by scanlation and fansub communities has gone a long way to popularise manga and anime abroad, especially nowadays with the internet. It opens up a possibility of enjoying it on many different fronts that licensors cannot be fucked with.

Back in 2012 when I got into Toku in earnest, NONE of the shows I was watching had any legal method to watch. Things are slightly better now for Toei stuff, but its still severely limited. Team Rider is still hacking away at Heisei-era rider and Shout's Sentai releases got cut off by the Hasbro acquisition so legal sentai is pretty much stuck with the 90's entries and not much else.

Even PR, which actually had good availability on Netflix just got almost completely scrubbed and Hasbro has yet to indicate any interest in letting that whole catalogue back on streaming. Toku is very very very far from being at the point where anime currently is where you can just watch virtually anything that releases the same time as japan, guilt free.

Birdie

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Kind of related I'm still upset there's never been legit Pokemon subs released...I mean it's a kids series but damn I'd want that.

I think the Mewtwo CG film had a sub officially released though?

chaobreaker

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Cool twitter thread on some various symbolisms Saber uses. The head writer did the same stuff in Ghost.

NeonZ

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
I guess this pretty much settles that the "Megido" name is a biblical reference then.

Also, last two Saber episodes were the return of Satoshi Morota to the tv show director rotation. He was away for a while due to being busy with Zi-O vs Decade/Decade vs Zi-O. Kind of a shame he has returned to the rotation since he's by far the weakest director working in Rider right now.

chaobreaker

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I guess this pretty much settles that the "Megido" name is a biblical reference then.

Also, last two Saber episodes were the return of Satoshi Morota to the tv show director rotation. He was away for a while due to being busy with Zi-O vs Decade/Decade vs Zi-O. Kind of a shame he has returned to the rotation since he's by far the weakest director working in Rider right now.

Morota may have made the trainwreck that is ZvD/DvZ but he also gifted the fandom the purest of meme material this weekend.

Harpoon

Oct 27, 2017
Almost at the end of Drive, just finished the Chaser movie. I was not expecting that guest appearance whatsoever, but it was such a perfect one to have here.

OP
OP
DioMuller

DioMuller

Oct 25, 2017
Brazil
Saber 35

This show's plot is so... inconsequential. We foiled the villain plans - but he still got what he wanted.
We got Luna back - but she disappears again.

I get why those things happened - plot progression - but it could be done in a better way for sure.

Zenkaiger 11

This, however, is awesome. Another very creative MotW with a creative solution. And then we had that really good giant fight that was literally just a giant game of tag. Incredible.

Also, cool that TwoKai gets different powers from the gears!

Next episode, we get StaCaesar Robo *and* Zox's mecha! Poor Stacy had exactly one episode with the spotlight.

Last edited:

jwk94

Oct 25, 2017
So I'm watching the metsuboujinrai movie... Why does Naki's character feel so half assed compared to the other riders? I'm talking over the course of the series, not just this special. Were they gonna have a bigger intro before covid cut into production of the original series?

Also is the US president's actor the VA for the belts?

Last edited:

NeonZ

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
So I'm watching the metsuboujinrai movie... Why does Naki's character feel so half assed compared to the other riders? I'm talking over the course of the series, not just this special. Were they gonna have a bigger intro before covid cut into production of the original series?

Also is the US president's actor the VA for the belts?
Naki and Ikazuchi only were created because the producers noticed people expected 4 members for Metsuboujinrai, due to the pattern of the kanji/names of the fist two members.

There's also the issue that the place where Naki received the most focus character-wise was probably the Project Thouser mini-series, in spite of the title, but that wasn't even done by Zero-One's main writer. The tv episodes where Naki got most development in the tv show also were done by secondary writers.

Mandos

Nov 27, 2017
Here we go, got the last one in for now
image0.jpg

ready to give this series a go... well probably after my move. This will go nicely with my anime shelf, which I'll finally get to setup

zeropercent

Teyvat Traveler
May 13, 2020
Finally got around to watching RealXTime and the metsuboujinrai V-cinema

RealXTime: The pacing was really weird but I quite enjoyed the twist, although they should have spent a little more time on the disciples so that the end boss didn't end up being, like, a random 2channer

Metsuboujinrai V-cinema: so uh.... that sure happened

Pluto

Oct 25, 2017
Here we go, got the last one in for now
image0.jpg

ready to give this series a go... well probably after my move. This will go nicely with my anime shelf, which I'll finally get to setup
Ultraman being the steelbook while Ultra Q, Ultraseven and Return are the regular sets triggers me.😂

Mandos

Nov 27, 2017
Ultraman being the steelbook while Ultra Q, Ultraseven and Return are the regular sets triggers me.😂
I didn't realize till too late... I mean it is still on sale I just hate dealing with returns. Well maybe I'll try anyways
Edit: ordered the regular version since it was still only ~$16. Don't know if I'll try to return the steel book or eat the loss. The spine art was going bug me forever. Plus if I grab any of the remaining 3 of the original shows down the line(which I might when they go on sale) I'll be getting the standard versions anyways

chaobreaker

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I made the mistake of getting the Taro steelbook instead of the regular edition. Amazon thought my steelbook didn't arrive in the mail when I realized my mistake so they didn't charge me for my second order. Basically got two Blu-ray sets for the price of one.

If anyone wants to a sealed Ultraman Taro steelbook for real cheap hit me up

Mandos

Nov 27, 2017
I made the mistake of getting the Taro steelbook instead of the regular edition. Amazon thought my steelbook didn't arrive in the mail when I realized my mistake so they didn't charge me for my second order. Basically got two Blu-ray sets for the price of one.

If anyone wants to a sealed Ultraman Taro steelbook for real cheap hit me up
But then I'd face the spine break too! Right now trying to decide if I want to deal with returning the extra steel book or not.