• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

jwk94

Oct 25, 2017
So I was browsing the sentai subreddit and saw someone say that Shikenger was the first sentai season to record the voices in set, meaning before that, everything was dubbed over. That can't be true, can it?? The post in question

modoversus

Oct 25, 2017
México
My understanding is that it is true, since it was shot on film, Shinkenger being the firs Sentai shot on digital. With film it must be much easier to dub than sincronize the sound I guess. Briefly mentioned in the begining of this interview.

Last edited:

jwk94

Oct 25, 2017
My understanding is that it is true, since it was shot on film, Shinkenger being the firs Sentai shot on digital. With film it must be much easier to dub than sincronize the sound I guess. Briefly mentioned in the begining of this interview.

Yeah, its insane but every Sentai before that was dubbed. Once you notice it, it really can't be missed.
That shit is crazy. Being a sentai actor must be hard as hell.

CBTech

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, its insane but every Sentai before that was dubbed. Once you notice it, it really can't be missed.

Are you saying that even out of suit dialogue was dubbed or just in suit? I could see in suit stuff being all dubbed but it would be weird to redub scenes not in costume.

Unrelated, I just finished episode 32 of Kamen Rider W. Not huge on the Xtreme design. Don't think the color scheme works well and the sword and shield doesn't fit the character in my opinion. Hopefully it will grow on me. Something else has been bugging me about this show ever since episode 18ish and the subsequent introduction of Accel. I wouldn't say that the tone has changed but the writing for certain characters have felt off in some way. Wakana in particular stands out. The way she has been written after episode 18 makes her feel like an entirely different character to the point I even wondered if they changed actors for her (they did not). They also seemed to drop Shotaro hiding from Akiko that her dad was dead since she brings it up herself in this most recent story. That I'm fine with I was just caught off guard and thought I might have missed an episode. It's also possible I just wasn't paying attention.

Overall I'm still having a lot of fun with this show. Are any of the W movies worth watching?

Bio Booster Armoire

Prophet of Truth
Apr 21, 2020
They also seemed to drop Shotaro hiding from Akiko that her dad was dead since she brings it up herself in this most recent story. That I'm fine with I was just caught off guard and thought I might have missed an episode. It's also possible I just wasn't paying attention.

Overall I'm still having a lot of fun with this show. Are any of the W movies worth watching?

IIRC, this is covered in the Decade/W crossover movie, Movie War 2010.

Vareon

Oct 25, 2017
Are you saying that even out of suit dialogue was dubbed or just in suit? I could see in suit stuff being all dubbed but it would be weird to redub scenes not in costume.

Unrelated, I just finished episode 32 of Kamen Rider W. Not huge on the Xtreme design. Don't think the color scheme works well and the sword and shield doesn't fit the character in my opinion. Hopefully it will grow on me. Something else has been bugging me about this show ever since episode 18ish and the subsequent introduction of Accel. I wouldn't say that the tone has changed but the writing for certain characters have felt off in some way. Wakana in particular stands out. The way she has been written after episode 18 makes her feel like an entirely different character to the point I even wondered if they changed actors for her (they did not). They also seemed to drop Shotaro hiding from Akiko that her dad was dead since she brings it up herself in this most recent story. That I'm fine with I was just caught off guard and thought I might have missed an episode. It's also possible I just wasn't paying attention.

W's movie (A to Z) is probably the one of the very few movie worth watching, there's a reason it's the only solo movie that was on the Toei Tokusatsu Channel.

NeonZ

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
They also seemed to drop Shotaro hiding from Akiko that her dad was dead since she brings it up herself in this most recent story. That I'm fine with I was just caught off guard and thought I might have missed an episode. It's also possible I just wasn't paying attention.

Akiko learning about her father happens in Movie Wars 2010 (Decade x W movie), which takes place between episodes 12 and 13. The Decade part is a mess, but the two stories are basically separate before the final battle, so you can just watch the W one.
W Forever A to Z, the solo W movie, happens between episodes 44 and 45, with a shot in the beginning of 45 showing part of the aftermath of the movie.

CBTech

Oct 25, 2017
So I did miss something. Thanks for the info. I'll have to see if I can track that down. It's weird to put something like that in a movie since it was something they were focusing on in the show.

CBTech

Oct 25, 2017
Sorry for the double post.

Ok, the W part of the Decade crossover was really good and also really important. Actually seeing what happened the night the Chief died. Showing the Chief as a Kamen Rider (love the design for Skull) and also had good character moments. I'm glad I asked about this since I think it's definitely worth watching.

I'm half watching the Decade part now and just pulling up wiki pages trying to understand what's going on haha. Seeing the conclusion to a show that draws on a bunch of previous shows is not easy.

Vareon

Oct 25, 2017
You guys like Kamen Rider Saber, right? And Toei also knew how much you liked Kamen Rider Ghost. How about seeing them together?

Vareon

Oct 25, 2017
Two boring series? It's like poetry!

Edit :

Actually how's Sabre? I saw some scene with the female rider fighting and it looked cool.

Fighting scenes starting from like episode 13+ are great, I even dare to put it as one of the bests. But I can't recommend it based on its storytelling and characters--particularly villains, unless you want to see how a series struggled to raise itself from a weak base and beginning, and doing everything it can to keep itself interesting.

NeonZ

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
Actually how's Sabre? I saw some scene with the female rider fighting and it looked cool.
Right now I'd say I like Saber. That said, it does have an extremely weak first arc, and even the start of the second one is rather sudden in some aspects. The show takes a while to really get everything in place. For the last few months though I've been looking forward to the next episode every week and the fighting scenes and direction in many of the episodes since around 20 have been consistently great (and even before that there were some stand out episodes action-wise, although they were very inconsistent, since they were right alongside some of the worst cg action in Rider).
It's already episode 33 though, so it seems like the rest of the show will continue to be a smooth ride from now on.

Blader

Oct 27, 2017
This is how they filmed movies in Italy for decades, with all dialogue being dubbed in later. Sometimes the actors on set wouldn't even say lines at all, they might count numbers to keep their mouths moving lol

Pluto

Oct 25, 2017
Most american shows and movies are dubbed too, people just don't notice. Pretty much all audio recorded on location is unusable because of wind, animals, people, vehicles etc. and all dialog is done again in the studio with foley taking care of all other sounds. Audio recorded on stage is more easily usable because of the controlled environment but even that is sometimes replaced. ADR is a major part of every production.

The major difference is that sentai didn't bother recording audio at all, recording the dialog in a booth is pretty common and happens everywhere.

Birdie

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Oh god from the summary the Ghost special is continuing off the Makoto V-Cinema fuckery. 👀

RangerBAD

Oct 25, 2017
I mean Saber is better than Ghost. Master Logos is pretty hammy with all the spitting and shaking though. I feel like Ghost never utilized the other world enough and the characters didn't leave much of an impression. Saber feels like a better serialization, but that's not putting it at a high ranking for me.

Oct 25, 2017
Zox said they would stay there for a bit sort of implying they could go to another world but isn't the whole thing that the Zenkaiger's world is the last remaining one other than the ones they've freed? Did the show forget something or did I?

Denryu

Oct 27, 2017
Brazil
Zox said they would stay there for a bit sort of implying they could go to another world but isn't the whole thing that the Zenkaiger's world is the last remaining one other than the ones they've freed? Did the show forget something or did I?
That line was kinda vague, i took it more as "well we dont have anything better to do, guess we need to stick around", but we also dont know yet if the pirates are aware that all the other worlds were taken.

Oct 25, 2017
Saber is a functional show. It's managing to keep my attention on a weekly basis so it does its basic job, and it helps that this current arc has been fast-paced and fairly lacking in traditional filler. Out of the three "occult based" Rider shows of the last decade, I feel Saber is easily the best one, but mostly because outside of its flashy fights and costumes, Wizard puts people into comas, while 90% of Ghost is a complete abject waste of potential. It's quite telling that the shows with a lot more tech elements or are entirely tech based seem to do much better with the fans than ones primarily to do with mysticism.

But yeah, Saber is very uneven. It really doesn't care to give its characters any semblance of a life outside of their group and the main plot. How many people remember that Touma is supposed to be an author? That's never really factored into anything besides to fill out his very brief character bio if you look him up on their website. Yet at the same time more recent episodes have done some really good things with the character when he's working with and bouncing off of other characters, like Rintaro and Kento. Kento is mostly a walking husk of melodrama, but there's something heartwarming and earnest about this week's episode where Touma shares a meal with him at the foot of a tree. Other shows would probably play up the antagonism between two Riders with such conflicting personal goals so I guess on that front it's refreshing to see them interact in ways that are true to themselves and not, you know, just duking it out for the sake of filling out an episode's fight scene quota.

Saber also has some utterly unremarkable villains. It's one of the handful of Rider shows in recent memory to have what I feel to be so little going for the antagonists so far. It's up there with Ghost and Zi-O in the category of Rider shows with villains so boring that planks of wood would leave more of an impression on me. The only thing I can say about them is that one of the Megid trio does some sick backflips. He should have entered every scene doing backflips, even when it's inappropriate to do so. And that Master Logos should probably buy some mouthwash (I also can't take ShinkenGold as a villain seriously but that's just me and not the fault of the actor).

But that said I do want a buddy sitcom show where it's just Ren and Dezast. The latter barely seems to show up but I'm at least having a great time when he does join in.

Reika sucks and there goes another waste of a female Rider. Everything she does and embodies has already been done with Gaim's Yoko and Yua Yaiba last year.

OP
OP
DioMuller

DioMuller

Oct 25, 2017
Brazil
Saber 33

That was kinda messy, but a surprisingly not bad episode. Nice fights, good character moments, plot going forward. I'm legit interested on what they are doing with Ren.

Still, man, the writing is a mess. Revealing what Sophia is on a throwaway line was just *bad*.

DragonSJG

Banned
Mar 4, 2019
Sophia is a plot device and scans may have hope for Reika....
also, yeah villains are nothing and heroes are kinda bland
Like Rintaro is irrelevant

GalaxyDive

Oct 25, 2017
Stickers for the super minipla definitely aren't "optional" in most cases lol (unless you're cool with the final result being much more plain looking). There are a few cases I remember (like, say, the faces for the Muteki Shogun components) where there were stickers even though some of the details were already painted on, but most of the stickers are very noticeable details you'd be leaving off.

But I will say that the Sentai minipla (that is, the regular minipla for the recent series) doesn't have many stickers. I recently did the Kyuranger minipla and there were very few stickers (basically just for the robo faces + one or two stickers per component + the kyutama cockpits, but I forget offhand if the kyutama stickers were unique to the P-Bandai versions with the improved colors, at that)

TheAggroCraig

One Winged Slayer
Nov 6, 2017
Stickers for the super minipla definitely aren't "optional" in most cases lol (unless you're cool with the final result being much more plain looking). There are a few cases I remember (like, say, the faces for the Muteki Shogun components) where there were stickers even though some of the details were already painted on, but most of the stickers are very noticeable details you'd be leaving off.

But I will say that the Sentai minipla (that is, the regular minipla for the recent series) doesn't have many stickers. I recently did the Kyuranger minipla and there were very few stickers (basically just for the robo faces + one or two stickers per component + the kyutama cockpits, but I forget offhand if the kyutama stickers were unique to the P-Bandai versions with the improved colors, at that)
Yep, no stickers I'd have to apply. I hate doing that stuff lol

I think I'm just tired, my brain interpreted the original question as "something that has stickers but I'd rather paint instead."

SH Figuarts are wonderful and generally don't need stickers applied (some can be enhanced with 3rd party stickers by SHF Upgrade).

Vareon

Oct 25, 2017
Are there any Sentai/Kamen Rider build figure/zords stuffs without stickers?

Any toylines that requires your assembly (Shodo/Super Minipla, Figurerise) have varying amount stickers, even the expensive ones like Super Minipla Gogo V's Grand Liner. DX and Figuarts requires no stickers, but Sentai generally has been underrepresented in action figures for years.

jwk94

Oct 25, 2017
I think I'm just tired, my brain interpreted the original question as "something that has stickers but I'd rather paint instead."

SH Figuarts are wonderful and generally don't need stickers applied (some can be enhanced with 3rd party stickers by SHF Upgrade).
Any toylines that requires your assembly (Shodo/Super Minipla, Figurerise) have varying amount stickers, even the expensive ones like Super Minipla Gogo V's Grand Liner. DX and Figuarts requires no stickers, but Sentai generally has been underrepresented in action figures for years.
Thanks fam! Guess I'll be sticking to the figurarts and dx stuff!

zeropercent

Teyvat Traveler
May 13, 2020
E0hy8zwVgAIRtv-

This just arrived! Don't think I'll unbox them since I don't want to redo my display, but the Metsuboujinrai memorial set box art is really nice.

(if the Japanese Wolf key was included in it, I WOULD have preordered Naki's figuart to do a full metsuboujinrai.net display... I'm still salty that they split it into the AIMS set lol)

Vareon

Oct 25, 2017
I played a bit with Burning Falcon yesterday. It was so good, seriously one of the best SHF out there. Comparing it to SHF Saber is just sad.

OP
OP
DioMuller

DioMuller

Oct 25, 2017
Brazil
Zenkaiger 09

Awesome episode, as always. Zox is great, and this MotW was really fun.

Zenkaiger just keeps going and going, I wonder if it can keep this until the end.

Orayn

Oct 25, 2017
I've been watching a bunch of random Ultraman on TokuShoutsu recently and it's gotten me pretty hyped for Ultraman Trigger this summer. Z is a tough act to follow, hope they can match its quality while being a little more oldschool and not relying on the powers of previous Ultras as the gimmick. Tiga and its related shows are supposed to take place in a separate continuity, right?