• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Oct 25, 2017
So those recent official releases of Agito, Ryuki and Faiz have some abysmal English translations. Grammar mistakes, spelling errors (honshin), it's somehow worse than TV-Nihon. Hopefully Shout Factory cleans that shit up.

SageShinigami

Oct 27, 2017
lol. I'm suddenly transported to the late 2000's with HK-subs. I paid for them at the time, but I couldn't imagine doing so in the modern era.

MHWilliams

Oct 25, 2017
So those recent official releases of Agito, Ryuki and Faiz have some abysmal English translations. Grammar mistakes, spelling errors (honshin), it's somehow worse than TV-Nihon. Hopefully Shout Factory cleans that shit up.
If Toei paid for these subs to be done, Shout Factory will probably be told to just use em as is, since its "official".

These are not Shout Factory releases. These are TokuHD releases.

Shout Factory has the rights to Kamen Rider, Kuuga, and now Ryuki and Zero-One.

Shout! TV | TV : TokuSHOUTsu

All TV : TokuSHOUTsu videos from Shout! TV

TokuHD has the rights to Agito and Faiz.
www.tokuhd.com

TOKU - LIVE THE ACTION

TOKU delivers the most popular and sought after live-action titles, a wide variety of eye catching anime and your favorite cult classics.

Literally, the tweets you posted acknowledge this.

You do a disservice to Shoutfactory's efforts by confusing the two.

chaobreaker

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I watched RealxTime. The hype was real. Hands down the best Rider standalone film I have ever watched but to be fair the bar is pretty low lol.

Birdie

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Barashitara having 800+ wives is kind of dark...

But Stacaesar's gun jingle sounds like Bomberman Hero so I guess it's cool.

Birdie

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
This week's episode of Zenkaiger was hype.

I wish I watched more than four Sentai though so I could enjoy the nostalgia.

chaobreaker

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Is it good film in general or just a good Rider film?

I would say a good film but you absolutely have to watch the whole 45 episode series first. They did a poor job onboarding viewers in that way. I guess this disqualifies it for that reason alone.

That being said, if you turn your brain off (and don't mind the Toei budget CG), you might like it regardless? It's just a visual spectacle all the way and the main villain gives a great performance.

Harpoon

Oct 27, 2017
Zenkaiger 8

Twokaizer's already entertaining as hell to watch, but I have to wonder if this was the right time to bring him in; poor Stacey feels a little outshined one episode after he got introduced. Loved this week's monster, though. That powerset was super-fun!

Pluto

Oct 25, 2017
Where does the Twokaizer spelling come from? I've seen it several times and it doesn't make sense. Zenkaiser and Twokaiser obviously references Kaiser and that's spelled with an S.

OP
OP
DioMuller

DioMuller

Oct 25, 2017
Brazil
Saber 32

Mostly fights and a bit of plot. Not terrible, I guess. Blades new form is the best Saber suit, by far.

Zenkaiger 08

This episode used a lot of green screen again, but in a way so creative it was just fun. They are also very creative with their problem solving. Both the main team and Ceasar going against the "sentai rules" was awesome. Also love the Kaito/Stacey dynamic, so fun!

And, of course, YOHOHOI. What an intro. After such a strong debut, I really hope they don't mess Twokaiser.

GalaxyDive

Oct 25, 2017
There's no way the face actor is doing that dance every single episode
Oh, he probably is. He can dance - actor was in the Zangetsu stage play and did some there. Considering how much of the schtick is built around dancing (i.e
the form changes also having their own dances), it was probably a key component to him getting the role lol.

Zenkaiger 8

Twokaizer's already entertaining as hell to watch, but I have to wonder if this was the right time to bring him in; poor Stacey feels a little outshined one episode after he got introduced. Loved this week's monster, though. That powerset was super-fun!
It is a bit early, but his toys are coming out... now, so it is what it is. After they used Strongest Battle to push the premieres back another month, expect to start seeing early 6ths more often, especially if the toyline remains slimmed down (i.e. his mech is the only major Q2 toy; wheras Ryusoulger had DimeVolcano in Q2 before Gold, much like Kira had King Express before Silver).

Last edited:

MHWilliams

Oct 25, 2017
Where does the Twokaizer spelling come from? I've seen it several times and it doesn't make sense. Zenkaiser and Twokaiser obviously references Kaiser and that's spelled with an S.

Probably given his major visual inspiration: Kaizoku Sentai Gokaiger.

Also, looking it up, I guess the main guy is supposed to Zenkaizer as well.
chart.png

www.tv-asahi.co.jp

キャラクター|機界戦隊ゼンカイジャー|テレビ朝日

テレビ朝日「機界戦隊ゼンカイジャー」公式サイト

This is another one of those things where it really doesn't matter, but there you go. If Zenkaiser feels right to you, write that.

Oct 25, 2017
I really didn't enjoy RealXTime at all. What was the deal with it winning awards or something? Or did it just do surprisingly well at the box office during rona times?

NeonZ

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
I really didn't enjoy RealXTime at all. What was the deal with it winning awards or something? Or did it just do surprisingly well at the box office during rona times?
The box office was surprisingly low (which is why they already moved back the solo movie for summer rather than continuing the new schedule), but it had very good reviews. I can't remember anything about an actual award though

Vareon

Oct 25, 2017

Gets extra weird because Stacey is Stacaesar and both used " ザー " ( ), but as MHWilliams sad we have yet to see "Zenkaiser" or "Twokaiser" officially used by the show, same as Vroon/Vroom. We can follow whichever but as long as there are no official international name just don't get too attached to romanizations.

If you want to get a bit technical, there are multiple ways of romanizing Katakana that it can sometimes be based on context or someone else's whim. Like shouldn't Juran be Zyuran if he's based on Zyuranger? (ジュラン / ジュウレンジャー ) But he's Juran and we're just rolling with it, unless Toei want to change his name to Zyuran sometime later.

Same as "Gorenger" being the official title instead of "Goranger":

aFzWmIV.jpg

Which is a pretty kickass book btw. Shotaro Ishinomori was a genius in sequential art.

Birdie

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I wonder if they'll have Twokaizer "rest" for a bit after his introduction before immediately introducing him to the team fulltime.

I feel the main cast is too good to so quickly throw in the sixth before they're all developed decently.

Harpoon

Oct 27, 2017
I think I've been going with "Zenkaizer" and "Twokaizer" without even thinking about it just because that's what I've seen used the most. "Zenkaiser" and "Twokaiser" probably do make more sense.

Oh, he probably is. He can dance - actor was in the Zangetsu stage play and did some there. Considering how much of the schtick is built around dancing (i.e
the form changes also having their own dances), it was probably a key component to him getting the role lol.

It is a bit early, but his toys are coming out... now, so it is what it is. After they used Strongest Battle to push the premieres back another month, expect to start seeing early 6ths more often, especially if the toyline remains slimmed down (i.e. his mech is the only major Q2 toy; wheras Ryusoulger had DimeVolcano in Q2 before Gold, much like Kira had King Express before Silver).

Yeah, I figured it was toy-related. I do hope that's it for recurring characters right now (aside from the rest of the pirate crew next episode), and that they just spend the next good while delving into the characters they already have in there.

Kamen Rider Zero-One

At first this show felt like it had a problem with dragging certain plotlines on for too long, and then it switched to introducing and wrapping them up with hardly any breathing room. I also didn't watch any of the specials, so some plot points left me utterly confused when they were brought in out of nowhere. That said, I still liked the characters and ideas presented here a lot; Jin in particular had a journey I didn't expect, and Aruto really grew on me when I wasn't super-fond of him at the start. Also quite a few suits I immediately fell in love with; shout-outs to Assault Wolf, Burning Falcon, and Ark!

I haven't seen RealxTime yet, but I'd definitely like to sooner rather than later. For now, onto Drive!

Pluto

Oct 25, 2017
Probably given his major visual inspiration: Kaizoku Sentai Gokaiger.

Also, looking it up, I guess the main guy is supposed to Zenkaizer as well.

www.tv-asahi.co.jp

キャラクター|機界戦隊ゼンカイジャー|テレビ朝日

テレビ朝日「機界戦隊ゼンカイジャー」公式サイト

This is another one of those things where it really doesn't matter, but there you go. If Zenkaiser feels right to you, write that.
I think it does matter because Kaiser is an actual existing word, Toei misspelling it should not mean we just do it too. If it was just Twokaizer I could maybe roll with the Kaizoku/Kaiser pun. But using the Z in Zenkaizer who has no Kaizoku connection makes it obvious it's not meant to be a pun, it's just misspelled.

Gets extra weird because Stacey is Stacaesar and both used " ザー " ( ), but as MHWilliams sad we have yet to see "Zenkaiser" or "Twokaiser" officially used by the show, same as Vroon/Vroom. We can follow whichever but as long as there are no official international name just don't get too attached to romanizations.
But we don't have to see Kaiser being used to know that that's how it's spelled and that it's in fact meant to be Kaiser and not just something that sounds like it is made very obvious by the use of Caesar as an opposing force.

If you want to get a bit technical, there are multiple ways of romanizing Katakana that it can sometimes be based on context or someone else's whim. Like shouldn't Juran be Zyuran if he's based on Zyuranger? (ジュラン / ジュウレンジャー ) But he's Juran and we're just rolling with it, unless Toei want to change his name to Zyuran sometime later.
That's different because there are actually several ways to romanize japanese words so there's room for ambiguity and different spellings but when a western word is transcribed into japanese and then back there's no ambiguity. アイスクリーム for example is ice cream and not aisu kurīmu or anything in between those two. ザー is used for both ceasar and kaiser to emulate the pronunciation and I assume that's where the kaizer spelling comes from, it's a result of the kana being used, the fact that in japanese a voiced and voiceless S sound is differentiated in writing (z vs. s) and not being familiar enough with the actual spelling to notice the mistake.

Vareon

Oct 25, 2017
I think it does matter because Kaiser is an actual existing word, Toei misspelling it should not mean we just do it too. If it was just Twokaizer I could maybe roll with the Kaizoku/Kaiser pun. But using the Z in Zenkaizer who has no Kaizoku connection makes it obvious it's not meant to be a pun, it's just misspelled.

But we don't have to see Kaiser being used to know that that's how it's spelled and that it's in fact meant to be Kaiser and not just something that sounds like it is made very obvious by the use of Caesar as an opposing force.

That's different because there are actually several ways to romanize japanese words so there's room for ambiguity and different spellings but when a western word is transcribed into japanese and then back there's no ambiguity. アイスクリーム for example is ice cream and not aisu kurīmu or anything in between those two. ザー is used for both ceasar and kaiser to emulate the pronunciation and I assume that's where the kaizer spelling comes from, it's a result of the kana being used, the fact that in japanese a voiced and voiceless S sound is differentiated in writing (z vs. s) and not being familiar enough with the actual spelling to notice the mistake.

By the end of the day Toei decided his current romanized name is Zenkaizer. They may change it one day, they may not. Fansubs are free to use Zenkaiser or Zenkaizer. We don't get to say Toei is wrong just because kaizer isn't an English word, they can decide any other names they desire. Who cares if Condol isn't an actual English word? English isn't the only "correct" language in the world.

Pluto

Oct 25, 2017
By the end of the day Toei decided his current romanized name is Zenkaizer.
But that's wrong.

We don't get to say Toei is wrong just because kaizer isn't an English word, they can decide any other names they desire.
Yeah, it's not english, it's german and we do get to say Toei is wrong if they are wrong. Kaiser is spelled with an s, that's just a fact.

You don't have to care that it's wrong, that's perfectly fine but you can't say it's not a wrong spelling just because Toei decided to spell it differently, that's not how spelling works.

MHWilliams

Oct 25, 2017

I mean, we literally just had this discussion recently and I was largely on your side.

Also:
This is another one of those things where it really doesn't matter

Vareon

Oct 25, 2017
Yea I'm not ready with this English supremacy in our color-coded spandex heroes discussion lol. Let's just move on.

Pluto

Oct 25, 2017
I mean, we literally just had this discussion recently and I was largely on your side.
So you agree that it's Kaiser?😉

But in this case it matters to me a lot, maybe it's because german is my first language and a misspelled german word is much more noticeable to me than a misspelled english word but it sticks out like a sore thumb.

Yea I'm not ready with this English supremacy in our color-coded spandex heroes discussion lol. Let's just move on.
Pointing out that Toei uses an objectively wrong spelling isn't "english supremacy". Like I said, you don't have to care but please don't turn this into something it's not.

coredecepts

Oct 27, 2017
Sunrise decided to intentionally misspell a word for one of their Gundam series. What's a reconguista? Doesn't matter.

Why did Toei go with Kiramager rather than Kirameiger for the romanization of that series? Because they wanted to.

Toei especially does this sort of thing all the time. They make up english-sounding words just because it sounds cool or because the spelling and resulting sound is thematically consistent.

They probably went with Kaizer because of the word Zenkai. It almost sounds like a palindrome because it keeps that z sound.

And that's fine by me.

alvmew

Nov 12, 2017
Speaking of - turns out, the official spelling is Zox Gorldtsuikar and not Goldtweaker to fit in more wordplay. He's a Gold-World-Tsuika senshi (additional warrior).

Birdie

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Why did they have Master Logos like spit at the end of the last episode? Well toe episodes ago but that was gross

Birdie

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Since I didn't know what Ohranger was about I watched the first episode to prepare for the Ohranger references in Zenkaiger...

This is frightening. Like legit the first episode is distressing to me.

NeonZ

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
Why did they have Master Logos like spit at the end of the last episode? Well toe episodes ago but that was gross
I guess they just wanted to give him a creepy grin, so they made him munch whatever was that goop in his mouth.

Since I didn't know what Ohranger was about I watched the first episode to prepare for the Ohranger references in Zenkaiger...

This is frightening. Like legit the first episode is distressing to me.
Ohranger has a very sudden tone change due to a terrorist attack at the time. So you need to get through the first 10 episodes to see how it really ends up.

Last edited:

Birdie

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
But like episode 1 of Ohranger is like War of the World's. The mooks are especially creepy. I was taken aback honestly at how dire it felt.

But yeah I'm aware it goes from "were gonna bomb major metropolitan cities!" to "we're gonna make people wear mismatched socks" and I'm kind of interested to see that.

I still don't get what Ohranger is about. Uh kind of military themes BUT also like ancient civilizations too? Very odd.

Oct 25, 2017
It impresses me how Ohranger had really poor TV ratings, but had record setting toy sales. I think the only season that came close was Gaoranger.

NeonZ

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
It impresses me how Ohranger had really poor TV ratings, but had record setting toy sales. I think the only season that came close was Gaoranger.
That was a misunderstanding. That number for Ohranger was the overall group numbers (which used to include Power Rangers money), not just Japanese toy sales. Ohranger still was the best selling series in the late 90s though, but that was basically the worst selling period for Sentai, even lower than recent years (well, this chart isn't a complete one, but Kiramager dropped to that level though, only beating TimeRanger).
X3r3Ako.jpg

Note that these are per year, so the Gaoranger/Hurricanger number also is pretty questionable since Gaoranger saw such a hug leap from previous series they were still selling Gaoranger merch during Hurricanger and designed and advertised the Hurricanger mecha as compatible with Gao's.

Oct 25, 2017
That was a misunderstanding. That number for Ohranger was the overall group numbers (which used to include Power Rangers money), not just Japanese toy sales. Ohranger still was the best selling series in the late 90s though, but that was basically the worst selling period for Sentai, even lower than recent years (well, this chart isn't a complete one, but Kiramager dropped to that level though, only beating TimeRanger).
X3r3Ako.jpg

Note that these are per year, so the Gaoranger/Hurricanger number also is pretty questionable since Gaoranger saw such a hug leap from previous series they were still selling Gaoranger merch during Hurricanger and designed and advertised the Hurricanger mecha as compatible with Gao's.

Hmm interesting. It can be hard to get proper info sometimes.

night814

One Winged Slayer
Oct 29, 2017
Pennsylvania
When Cross Z, Knight, Zeronos, Gatack, Accel, Baron, Meteor, exist????????????
Thanks for shouting out Accel, dudes easily been my favorite 2nd rider for a decade now with Zeronos is easily being my second and was unseated by Accel. Huge shout to both Birth's too who have a fun dynamic and tell a good story together.

Spectre...

*sigh*

Those cool suits and that banging bass theme. And then, uh, once he rescued his sister a quarter in it was all downhill.
I always liked his belt qoute when he goes to deep spectre; "Dive too Deep" is an awesome thing to hear during a power up

Last edited: