• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

MHWilliams

Oct 25, 2017
Is Sakamoto still doing his creepy upstart shots? I'm really not looking forward to him directing.

He's done Zi-O, Ryusoulger, Kirameiger, Ultraman Z, and Saber, so... have you noticed them?

powerrangers.fandom.com

Koichi Sakamoto

Koichi Sakamoto (坂本 浩一, Sakamoto Kōichi) is a Japanese stunt-actor, producer, and director. He is best known for having worked on both Super Sentai and Power Rangers, as well as Kamen Rider and occasionally, the Ultraman Series. Sakamoto has been married to stuntwoman Motoko Nagino since 2002. A...
kamenrider.fandom.com

Koichi Sakamoto

Koichi Sakamoto (坂本 浩一, Sakamoto Kōichi) is a Japanese director and producer who is best known for his works on the more recent Kamen Rider Series, after having worked on Power Rangers and then Super Sentai, as well as Ultraman ever since 2009. Kamen Rider W - 6 episodes (2009-2010) Episode 21...

Zi-O was the Fourze/555 arc, Saber was the Slash and Saikou debut two-parters, there were like 10 episodes of Ryusoul.

He's definitely got his fetishes on his own work, but he's solid are keeping them out of the stuff for kids.

OP
OP
DioMuller

DioMuller

Oct 25, 2017
Brazil
Saber 31

I *think* this was supposed to be a strong episode, but man, the direction and writing was all over the place.

Some serious moments that landed as jokes were... kinda weird. That said, Mei and Rintarou have good chemistry, as always.

NeonZ

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
Saber 31

I *think* this was supposed to be a strong episode, but man, the direction and writing was all over the place.

Some serious moments that landed as jokes were... kinda weird. That said, Mei and Rintarou have good chemistry, as always.
I thought that was only an issue for that final scene with Mei. In general I liked the direction - the director was Hidenori Ishida (Kuuga/Blade/Hibiki/Kabuto/Amazons' pilot director).

OP
OP
DioMuller

DioMuller

Oct 25, 2017
Brazil
I thought that was only an issue for that final scene with Mei. In general I liked the direction - the director was Hidenori Ishida (Kuuga/Blade/Hibiki/Kabuto/Amazons' pilot director).

The whole second part of the episode was kinda like that for me. I felt most scenes didn't have the weight they needed, and Zoous actor... isn't really good at anything that isn't stunts.

NeonZ

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
The whole second part of the episode was kinda like that for me. I felt most scenes didn't have the weight they needed, and Zoous actor... isn't really good at anything that isn't stunts.
Well, the script wasn't using him as anything more than a hammy villain anyway. I thought the actual drama with the two main Riders and Mei mostly worked aside from the bit where she jumped.

GalaxyDive

Oct 25, 2017
Zenkaiger 7 was amazing (well at least the end of it). It's a shame that it felt like it had some cut for time because that was probably one of the best-produced robo fights the franchise has ever done (especially considering it was 4v2/4v4). Natural lighting, lots of low camera angles to help with the scale (also probably easier to be copious with when they shoot outside since they usually do that on a raised platform), some really cool action, and some great cinematography (i.e. the lineup of all four old robo getting ready; the shot of them walking in on the four Zenkaiger).

Dino Tanker appearance blew me away also because it wasn't even CGI. I haven't gone to scrutinize whether it could have been the original miniature or not that they greenscreened or wonder if they made a prop for the Toei Museum or something.

Some of the details, like having the robos emerge from stone DX toy boxes and using retro editing techniques on the Goranger Hurricane + including the plastic strings on the Plastic Eraser were fucking choice.

Last edited:

Birdie

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I wonder if Stacey (I can't get over that name) will be a 7th Ranger.

Maybe Patranger/Lupinranger themed because "duality". And then, like, um, secondary themes could be Goseiger (angels) and Gobusters (spies) to kind of complement that?

I wish we had a Super Sentai where the heroes were themed after monsters. That seems like an untapped idea.

Oct 25, 2017
Dino Tanker appearance blew me away also because it wasn't even CGI
Really? I thought it was cg

And yeah the stings on the Goranger attack was amazing. Also loved the robots combining attacks

gIHbVgo.png

2eFoHK6.png

this episode really went all out and surprised me multiple times

Last edited:
OP
OP
DioMuller

DioMuller

Oct 25, 2017
Brazil
Zenkaiger 07

Holy shit, Zenkai just brought out the big guns (hehe). This episode was pure fanservice, and pure *good* fanservice. Stacey being based on Battle Fever *and* having a scarf, the summoning powers, Goranger Hurricane being perfectly reproduced with modern footage, the new suits (Gorangers look great!), the mecha fight, all the returning mecha - they even remember the 80s exist, one of the very few problems I had with Gokaiger!

Next episode also looks incredible. Can't wait.

GalaxyDive

Oct 25, 2017
Really? I thought it was cg
vjX0lax.jpg

Definitely don't think it's CG, you wouldn't see all those details otherwise (especially considering the quality of CG for the alt modes and alt ZenkaiOh combos lol). And definitely not an old still, since it comes at the screen and you see it at different angles as it passes by. Though whatever they used, they may have greenscreened it in, which would explain if it looks a bit "off".

Last edited:

KingWillance

Oct 25, 2017
I am gonna echo everyone with how good the fanservice is in Zenkaiger so far but also want to give props to the whole cast being extremely likable. The scenes between Stacey and Kaito at the top of episode were a lot of fun. Kaito's character could easily be annoying with a worse actor and instead his enthusiasm is infectious. I hope Stacey takes on a recurring antivillain role, he has a nice presence and I love it when sentai villains have their own internal conflicts.

(Wonder how much of this episode's budget went to the new sentai outfits, Gorenger looked absolutely fantastic.)

CBTech

Oct 25, 2017
Power Rangers and other American adaptations of tokusatsu was a big part of my childhood, but it was only recently that I realized that I had never seen any of the original Japanese shows. The closest I've got has been anime based on tokusatsu shows such as SSSS.Gridman/Dynazenon, the Ultraman cgi anime, or even stuff like Samurai Flamenco.

I wanted to rectify this so I started watching Kamen Rider W. Though I have more of an affinity to Power Rangers, I went with Kamen Rider due to the Shin Kamen Rider and Kamen Rider W anime announcements. It also sounded like W was a pretty good one and so far I've been enjoying it. I'm maybe 15 episodes in and love how goofy it is while still feeling cool. I like the split suit and power mixing gimmick though sometimes it can look silly though that's often when they use CGI for effects.

I should look through some of the recommended Sentai series so I can check one of those out after I finish Kamen Rider. Curious how Sentai feels compared to what I remember of Power Rangers.

Last edited:

KingWillance

Oct 25, 2017
Power Rangers and other American adaptations of tokusatsu was a big part of my childhood, but it was only recently that I had never seen any of the original Japanese shows. The closest I've got has been anime based on tokusatsu shows such as SSSS.Gridman/Dynazenon, the Ultraman cgi anime, or even stuff like Samurai Flamenco.

I wanted to rectify this so I started watching Kamen Rider W. Though I have more of an affinity to Power Rangers, I went with Kamen Rider due to the Shin Kamen Rider and Kamen Rider W anime announcements. It also sounded like W was a pretty good one and so far I've been enjoying it. I'm maybe 15 episodes in and love how goofy it is while still feeling cool. I like the split suit and power mixing gimmick though sometimes it can look silly though that's often when they use CGI for effects.

I should look through some of the recommended Sentai series so I can check one of those out after I finish Kamen Rider. Curious how Sentai feels compared to what I remember of Power Rangers.

W is a very solid starting point and I'm glad you're enjoying it! The CG in the series only recently got past, like, PS1 models. My parents didn't let me watch Power Rangers growing up so now toku fandom feels like some kind of revenge

Birdie

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
W is a good series BUT it started a period where Rider became sort of formulaic, with two episodes dedicated to a single MOTW.

It has running plots between that, but some of the MOTWs can be pretty dull and wear out their welcome... especially near the end I remember being burnt out by some of the two-parters.

But yes it's generally well received because the characters are all around fun. There's also two characters that most people seem to dislike at first but end of liking a lot...me included lol.

Harpoon

Oct 27, 2017
W is a good series BUT it started a period where Rider became sort of formulaic, with two episodes dedicated to a single MOTW.

It has running plots between that, but some of the MOTWs can be pretty dull and wear out their welcome... especially near the end I remember being burnt out by some of the two-parters.

But yes it's generally well received because the characters are all around fun. There's also two characters that most people seem to dislike at first but end of liking a lot...me included lol.

Did W start the two-parter set-up? As Den-O used that same formula for most of its run.

KingWillance

Oct 25, 2017

I thought Den-O started the two-parter format? I think the two-parters worked well for W and Fourze because of their premises, it didn't feel particularly long-in-the-tooth for me until Wizard but everything else about Wizard probably deserves more of the blame than the episode structure (excepting of course Gremlin and Beast)

Birdie

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Did W start the two-parter set-up? As Den-O used that same formula for most of its run.
Yeah I guess you're right?

I dunno W just feels like where it became sort of hardcore set in stone. But I think that might be bias with it being one of my first series and thus becoming what seemed to be formula for a bit.

CBTech

Oct 25, 2017

I can see that. So far it's been fine, but there have been a couple of stories where I thought, "did this one really need two episodes?"

TheAggroCraig

One Winged Slayer
Nov 6, 2017
I was going to say, I literally just finished Den-O and every imagin had a 2 part arc until you got towards the last 10~ episodes. Decade in particular also had 2 episodes per rider series and continued this as well, it comes off a bit different though.

CBTech

Oct 25, 2017
What was your thoughts on Heaven's Tornado lol

lmao, I meant to bring that up in my post. Honestly that was probably my favorite arc just for how ridiculous it is. The guy going into the school's courtyard, music blaring, ripping off his button up to reveal a Tupac t-shirt to start dancing to see if his partner is safe just killed me.

Birdie

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
lmao, I meant to bring that up in my post. Honestly that was probably my favorite arc just for how ridiculous it is. The guy going into the school's courtyard, music blaring, ripping off his button up to reveal a Tupac t-shirt to start dancing to see if his partner is safe just killed me.
That's a meme because most people think it's horrible lol

Harpoon

Oct 27, 2017
Zenkaiger 7

Yep, that was awesome. They're really starting to go all out with the anniversary stuff now, and although a lot of that is going to be lost on me, I was a little tickled to be familiar with most of the mechs they put the focus on here from my days of watching Power Rangers. Stacey makes for a good villain with a great-looking transformation, and it'll be interesting to learn more about his relationship with Barashitara. And hey, development for Gaon! I think I like everyone else on the team more than him, but still nice to see.

KingWillance

Oct 25, 2017
I just bought the Decade Figure-Rise after a previous order got eaten. I have absolutely no idea where I'm going to put it but am extremely excited.

jwk94

Oct 25, 2017
For those of you who are watching dino fury and have watched ryusoulger, which is better so far? Would it be worth it to watch both at the same time? Also, is boomtower's counterpart an idiot too?

Birdie

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I always thought Ohranger's motif was like trains or something but it's like ancient buildings and statues what?

Pluto

Oct 25, 2017
For those of you who are watching dino fury and have watched ryusoulger, which is better so far? Would it be worth it to watch both at the same time? Also, is boomtower's counterpart an idiot too?
I've only seen the first few episodes of both so I can't say which is better, the tone is quite different though, I think both can be watched at the same time.

I always thought Ohranger's motif was like trains or something but it's like ancient buildings and statues what?
There's actually not a single train in Ohranger. ;) The powers are based on ancient civilizations and the team itself is militaristic.

Delio

Oct 25, 2017

Yeah I think both can be watched together. The tone is different for sure. As for which is better at this point? Honestly I'm feeling Dino Fury more at this point? Tbh I only got into Ryusoul during the back half.

Birdie

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Maybe I'm thinking of the fact they changed up Ohranger because of that gas attack on a train station that retooled the show? And in my mind I've always thought trains.

PhoenixAKG

Aug 14, 2019
I thought Den-O started the two-parter format? I think the two-parters worked well for W and Fourze because of their premises, it didn't feel particularly long-in-the-tooth for me until Wizard but everything else about Wizard probably deserves more of the blame than the episode structure (excepting of course Gremlin and Beast)

Beast was awful and is the worst secondary rider.

WillyFive

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Maybe I'm thinking of the fact they changed up Ohranger because of that gas attack on a train station that retooled the show? And in my mind I've always thought trains.

Yeah, but that was a retooling of the tone, not the toys. It went from this dark and serious anniversary season to being a comedy (which led to Carranger, an actual comedy show).

Birdie

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Spectre...

*sigh*

Those cool suits and that banging bass theme. And then, uh, once he rescued his sister a quarter in it was all downhill.

NeonZ

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
What. I would argue he is the best secondary rider, period.
I can get people who like his interactions with Haruto even if I thought they were kind repetitive (like everything else in Wizard), but the best? They couldn't even let him play any role in the plot until the last few episodes (with the young mage and the ritual), and his last contribution basically only existed to write him off from the final arc.