• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 25, 2017
Oh, right, I was mainly talking about the licensing to the US part of it. Is Black Sun coming over for sure?

Ah gotcha. We don't know yet.
I imagine Anno's popularity will ensure Shin KR at least sees release overseas. Nothing confirmed yet but it's likely.
Otherwise, no licensing news. Hopefully more later in the year.

Voror

Oct 25, 2017
I hope Shin KR gets a release overseas. Has there been anything about that happening for Shin Ultraman? I haven't found anything offhand yet other then the target release for Japan.

mrmoose

Nov 13, 2017
I hope Shin KR gets a release overseas. Has there been anything about that happening for Shin Ultraman? I haven't found anything offhand yet other then the target release for Japan.

I just kind of assumed we'd get both since we got Shin Godzilla, though admittedly that's a bigger franchise in the US.

Oct 25, 2017
I'm not sure that's notable, there are always a bunch of unused sounds in those toys. They throw them in just in case they need them not because there are actual plans so it really doesn't tell us anything.
I'm aware of that but has there been Akibaranger related sounds in any sentai toys in the recent past?

Mewzard

Feb 4, 2018
So, for those who are fans of History of Power Rangers, the Beast Morphers episode is scheduled tentatively for July 29th.

But before that, he's covering episodes 15 and 16 of Kaizoku Sentai Gokaiger on Atop the Fourth Wall on July 19th. It's a follow up to his reviews of Zyuranger 17-22, Gokaiger 1-5, and Zyuranger 40-43:

State of the Wall: 4-7-21

<p>Click Read More to see what’s coming up for the show! Schedule of Upcoming Episodes 4/5 – Star Trek (Gold […]</p>

Figured there had to be at least a few people here who might be interested in that.

Vareon

Oct 25, 2017
I fell of Linkara HARD when he complained why Power Ranger Turbo's power was based on cars... in a video series titled the History of Power Rangers. But that was like a decade ago, has he gotten better?

MHWilliams

Oct 25, 2017
I watched one of the linked videos above and I dislike his delivery and some of his cuts. Not for me, but glad someone is doing the good work.

Mewzard

Feb 4, 2018
I fell of Linkara HARD when he complained why Power Ranger Turbo's power was based on cars... in a video series titled the History of Power Rangers. But that was like a decade ago, has he gotten better?

Later on, he admitted he was probably being too hard on Turbo, though he still wasn't personally a fan of how it turned out. After stuff like Operation Overdrive, Megaforce, Turbo's issues do seem like small potatoes.

I watched one of the linked videos above and I dislike his delivery and some of his cuts. Not for me, but glad someone is doing the good work.

While Super Sentai isn't something he watches on the regular, I had a feeling he'd have fun with the right material. Hope he enjoys Basco.

Man, Super Megaforce could have used a villain half as charismatic and fun as Basco.

Vareon

Oct 25, 2017
Later on, he admitted he was probably being too hard on Turbo, though he still wasn't personally a fan of how it turned out. After stuff like Operation Overdrive, Megaforce, Turbo's issues do seem like small potatoes.

My problem is for a video titled "History", I expect less hot takes about quality and more about researched behind the scenes stuff, or just a summary would have been nice. Like his video on Forever Red that should've been two parter, or why the Galaxy Red ranger only showed up for a few seconds, I enjoy stuff like that since I feel like I'm learning something new. But since Youtube thrives on hot takes I guess it's just not a content for me.

Blader

Oct 27, 2017
Watched the first ep of Kamen Rider Kuuga last night and oh dear...that video does not look good at all. Makes the Rider suit look awfully cheap. Do all modern Rider shows look like this?

Also watched the Seven Riders special (silly but a fun intro to the franchise) and the first ep of Black (liked it, even if the image quality was blurry as hell).

NeonZ

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
Watched the first ep of Kamen Rider Kuuga last night and oh dear...that video does not look good at all. Makes the Rider suit look awfully cheap. Do all modern Rider shows look like this?
That camera style goes from Kuuga to Hibiki, although starting from Agito they change the materials of the suit (Kuuga several times damages the chest armor while later series avoid that and use more expensive material for it since it won't be getting constantly replaced).

WillyFive

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Linkara is part of the old guard of the video content era of he internet when simply talking about something counted as something radical and important.

The stuff we expect from video essays now was unthinkable during his time.

Also watched the Seven Riders special (silly but a fun intro to the franchise) and the first ep of Black (liked it, even if the image quality was blurry as hell).

All Toku looks 10 years older than it actually is. Always.

Blader

Oct 27, 2017
First episode of W looked much better re: video. Though they traded that for a lot of very unfortunate looking CG effects lol.

Pluto

Oct 25, 2017
No, his reviews are basically just superficial summaries with some trivia thrown in he picked up on wikis or message boards, it's not very insightful or interesting. Some things he says are also just plain weird like the magic vs. science theme he tried to force onto MMPR when that was never a thing.

The Hobo

Oct 27, 2017
No, his reviews are basically just superficial summaries with some trivia thrown in he picked up on wikis or message boards, it's not very insightful or interesting. Some things he says are also just plain weird like the magic vs. science theme he tried to force onto MMPR when that was never a thing.

He tried to force it onto Zeo too; apparently Zeo was the opposite of MMPR because now the Rangers were using magic while the villains were using technology. Which also made no sense because both MMPR and Zeo use magical sources for their powers.

RestEerie

Banned
Aug 20, 2018
hope maskman and flashman will be on the youtube channel soon.

i grew up watching those.....maskman is my GOAT supersentai!

OP
OP
DioMuller

DioMuller

Oct 25, 2017
Brazil
hope maskman and flashman will be on the youtube channel soon.

i grew up watching those.....maskman is my GOAT supersentai!

Those may not be available in all regions, unfortunately. They are licensed in parts of Latin America, for example, so Toei won't air them.

Then again, they didn't block Black here, so there's hope...

MHWilliams

Oct 25, 2017
Reiwa First Generation is... not good.

The villain is barely a facet, Aruto is early days and annoying, and given his journey here, he should've been more forceful in later arcs.

And the Zi-O cast is mostly wasted.

Junior

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
If anyone is interested looks like the official Bandai Spirits Global YT channel has the first episode of Girl Gun Lady with English subs:

Vareon

Oct 25, 2017
Toei uploaded the 50th Anniversary Kamen Rider Project press conference on Youtube with English subtitles, that will at least speak a bit about what they thought about international audience.

On the other hand, for a very colorful IP, the press conference is depressing as fuck. A bunch of old men talking in front of a dark room. Toei is really, really old fashioned company if there was any doubt.

Pluto

Oct 25, 2017
On the other hand, for a very colorful IP, the press conference is depressing as fuck. A bunch of old men talking in front of a dark room. Toei is really, really old fashioned company if there was any doubt.
That might be Covid related, their press conferences for new shows are usually more vibrant and fun with a live action segment, the cast all appearing etc.

Vareon

Oct 25, 2017
That might be Covid related, their press conferences for new shows are usually more vibrant and fun with a live action segment, the cast all appearing etc.

This is a much bigger announcement than a new season or summer movie (and they did Saber and Zenkaiger's press release just fine), perhaps the biggest thing they have ever done for Kamen Rider series, which is why they had their old bigwigs in suits to announce them. But that to me speaks how this company operates: very formal, one step at a time, take no more challenge than necessary.

Pluto

Oct 25, 2017
This is a much bigger announcement than a new season or summer movie (and they did Saber and Zenkaiger's press release just fine), perhaps the biggest thing they have ever done for Kamen Rider series, which is why they had their old bigwigs in suits to announce them. But that to me speaks how this company operates: very formal, one step at a time, take no more challenge than necessary.
That was a big announcement? Wasn't it just a spin-off anime and an amazon show? That's not nothing but it doesn't affect the main series.

Edit: There's also the 2023 movie but most studios don't do press conferences for these things this far out at all, it's usually a press release at best.

Bio Booster Armoire

Prophet of Truth
Apr 21, 2020
I still don't get why Zio and 01 throw hands at the end.
Zio wanted to wipe Aruto's memory. I wonder if there's a cut of this sequence where Zio jobs to Aruto to cement Zero's place as the new hotness?

Watched all of the 'hiatus' trilogy on YouTube. Shin was certainly an experience - the first hour is barely coherent and by the time anything resembling a plot shows up, the movie just ends. Amazing practical effects, though; if anyone's feeling curious, I'd recommend skipping the movie and just checking out the transformation sequences on YouTube.

ZO was legit, though. A simple concept executed perfectly. It felt like James Cameron's Kamen Rider; lean and propulsive with great atmosphere, sfx and action. I reckon this'd be a great introduction to the franchise for any children of the '80s or '90s who're feeling Rider-curious. Just look at these monster designs:

Picture2.10.jpg

2892222-7776258621-27144.png

J is not as good, but still pretty f'n good. Weird, kinda nightmarish and the finale, when KR embraces his inner Ultraman and goes all jolly green giant, is awesome. Worth the price of admission for the giant-sized rider kick alone. Definitely checking Garo out based on Amemiya's work here.

OP
OP
DioMuller

DioMuller

Oct 25, 2017
Brazil
Saber 30

I like Mei and Rintaro, the actors have good chemistry. That said, I feel this episode was a bit dragged down to be a two parter.

This is not bad, just not great, I guess.

Harpoon

Oct 27, 2017
Zenkaiger 6

Loved how they neutralized the Kudaitest's powers, and Magine's magic show cracked me up. Next episode looks like it's going to be really interesting, though...

OP
OP
DioMuller

DioMuller

Oct 25, 2017
Brazil
Zenkaiger 06

Awesome episode. Last one was more focused on Kaito, Zyuran and Gaon, this one on Vroom and Magine, and next episode we already get... holy shit what's that.

The way they used Magine here is really good. And then all the jokes and gags we had here... yeah, another good episode.

Amazing series.

Haloid1177

Oct 25, 2017
Kamen Rider Genms The Presidents Ep 1

I love Dan, I've missed Dan, and this was a lot of fun. I wish this was longer, needed to be a whole movie.

Birdie

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Saber 30

I like Mei and Rintaro, the actors have good chemistry. That said, I feel this episode was a bit dragged down to be a two parter.

This is not bad, just not great, I guess.
I know this isn't new to Rider but the "villain is gonna kill a character, another character stops him by taking the hit, and then villain walks away despite now both characters being easy to kill" has happened like seven times now?

Harpoon

Oct 27, 2017
Kamen Rider Saber 30

It's funny to imagine that Desast has been following Ren around all this time, bugging him to turn evil.

mrmoose

Nov 13, 2017
I got some Bluefin-imported drivers. My new mission is to get my daughter to watch enough of Zi-o that she will appreciate the Ziku driver when I give it to her for her birthday. I was hoping Sabella would get a toy and I can just get that, but oh well.