• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

jwk94

Oct 25, 2017
James Gunn personally calling out Illuminerdi. You love to see it. Can we ban them?

KingWillance

Oct 25, 2017
Really enjoyed that Zenkaiger debut. Good level of energy, conveyed the information well, and fun choreography. Zyuban is already a total nerd and I love them.

Neo0mj

Oct 26, 2017
WTF you got the coolest ones.

I gotta get those stands.

Genm Zombie is just too cool, and though I didn't watch Zi-O, Ohma is slick.

Stand's useful even for non-jumping/flying poses, and the price isn't that bad since you get two.

51023568696_f889cc2d53_o.png

modoversus

Oct 25, 2017
México
If you don't mind the Power Rangers branding, you can get 3 stands for 14 USD on BBTS.

I have plenty of bases, but keep loosing the waist pieces since they are small and clear.

Bandai should include stands with each figure, like Figma does.

jwk94

Oct 25, 2017
Just finished dekaranger 10 years after and girls in trouble. It was nice seeing the deka cast again! Most of them don't age, which surprised me. The plot was meh, but oh well.

Girls in Trouble was great. The plot was more interesting than deka's and the action was on point, thanks to koichi. Gonna double back to the space sheriff films before watching space squad vs dekaranger.

Edit :
I also regret not getting the artisan dekaranger stuff.

OP
OP
DioMuller

DioMuller

Oct 25, 2017
Brazil
Wached Kamen Rider ZO

And it's pretty good! Worth watching for the visuals alone. Awesome practical effects, incredible suits, great fights, and it even uses stopmotion in a very good way! The CG is bad, and it uses some 70s collage effects at times, but hey, it's just on a couple scenes.

Really, really strong and memorable. The fights in special are incredible.

Oct 25, 2017

TTWO uploaded the first Hibiki.
Man, everything about this was so different from the other Heisei era stuff. The shot composition, the focus on music, the main Rider not being the focal point. What caused it to change so drastically in the second half?

Birdie

Banned
Oct 26, 2017

TTWO uploaded the first Hibiki.
Man, everything about this was so different from the other Heisei era stuff. The shot composition, the focus on music, the main Rider not being the focal point. What caused it to change so drastically in the second half?

From what I've heard budget, issues with the staff (I think to the point of one of the staff getting violent? Maybe it was Hibiki himself?), oh and parents apparently didn't like Hibiki spit fire out.

NeonZ

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
It's basically the only case in Heisei Rider where the main producer was outright removed from the show halfway through. Hibiki was doing badly in several ways (worst toy sales, ratings recovering a bit from Blade's, but still lower than any other previous series) and the producer refused to fix budget and schedule issues with the series, so he was outright replaced, and with that the writers also were removed. The directors actually stayed, but under the new showrunners the results were clearly different.

Oct 25, 2017
From what I've heard budget, issues with the staff (I think to the point of one of the staff getting violent? Maybe it was Hibiki himself?), oh and parents apparently didn't like Hibiki spit fire out.

That's the thing that bothers parents?

It's basically the only case in Heisei Rider where the main producer was outright removed from the show halfway through. Hibiki was doing badly in several ways (worst toy sales, ratings recovering a bit from Blade's, but still lower than any other previous series) and the producer refused to fix budget and schedule issues with the series, so he was outright replaced, and with that the writers also were removed. The directors actually stayed, but under the new showrunners the results were clearly different.

Oh man that makes sense.

OP
OP
DioMuller

DioMuller

Oct 25, 2017
Brazil
Finished watching Kamen Rider J

It was really nice. The actor who portraited J was a nice surprise too. This is clearly the lower budget movie of the three, but the plot was consistent, and the practical effects were on par with ZO. They did some very creative choices too.

The giant fight feels like something out of an older Ultra series. Very enjoyable.

jwk94

Oct 25, 2017
Toei uploaded the first episode of hibiki on YouTube. I'm so confused. I'm two minutes in. This is a musical. Is the whole episode like this?

Vareon

Oct 25, 2017
Hibiki's first half had a lot of on location shooting in mountains and those couldn't have been cheap. Combined with its low performance overall, the decision to remove Takatera was actually pretty sound, despite how much I lament the changes to its second half.

Birdie

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Everytime you see Hibiki referenced like in the games they always include elements of the first half I guess as a fuck you...

Like Battride War has PTA-unapproved fire breathing.

I do like the second OP of Hibiki though.

Vareon

Oct 25, 2017
Everytime you see Hibiki referenced like in the games they always include elements of the first half I guess as a fuck you...

Like Battride War has PTA-unapproved fire breathing.

I do like the second OP of Hibiki though.

Decade used Hibiki's fire breathing attack, too.I just think they didn't consider Hibiki as some sort of series black sheep they need to hide under a bed or something, it's just -a- rider series at this point.

Vareon

Oct 25, 2017
I 100% enjoyed the latest Kamen Rider Saber episode. That was a damn good episode.

Unsurprisingly it was a Kazuya Kamihoriuchi episode.

GgjH6RS.png

6KKKe0D.png

tlZt1KC.png

VMiouVK.png

OP
OP
DioMuller

DioMuller

Oct 25, 2017
Brazil
Zenkaiger 02

Zenkaiger keeps being incredible. So much attention for detail, great fanservice, and small jokes that you'll miss if you blink. The fanservice is top notch.

The robot song is also incredible. They got the Goranger singer pair to sing it!

Harpoon

Oct 27, 2017
Zenkaiger 2

Fantastic episode. Kaito and Juran's recruitment effort was hilarious, as was this week's monster in general. GET SHROOMED

Also loved that retro-sounding insert song that played after Juran and Gaon combined; gonna need the full version as soon as possible. The whole OST has been lovely overall so far.

OP
OP
DioMuller

DioMuller

Oct 25, 2017
Brazil
Saber 26

So... this episode's Director deserves an award. No, really, it's above and beyond what Saber deserves. That said, this *was* a really good episode by itself, with the plot progressing at a nice pace, things finally getting clearer, and promising new plot points. Kento still sucks, but eh, that was expected.

Don't get me wrong, Saber's writing is still a mess. But now, it's an enjoyable mess, kinda like Kingdom Hearts up to 2 and Dairanger.

Oct 25, 2017
Zenkaiger 2

This is gonna be a parody season like Carranger isn't it? Not that I mind, it will certainly be a fun change of pace.

Birdie

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I haven't had time to watch Zenkaiger get and I'm behind Saber too and it's getting great?

Good thing I'm off this week.

GalaxyDive

Oct 25, 2017
Zenkaiger's tremendously entertaining so far.

In other news, following that shin-kamen-rider domain that Toei registered, they've now gone and trademarked Futo Tantei. Wonder if this means some sort of anime adaptation of that.

MHWilliams

Oct 25, 2017
Zenkaiger's tremendously entertaining so far.

In other news, following that shin-kamen-rider domain that Toei registered, they've now gone and trademarked Futo Tantei. Wonder if this means some sort of anime adaptation of that.

Whoa whoa whoa.

Shin Kamen Rider? Also Futo Tantei is W, right? Futo Detective?! WHAAAAAAAAAA

Voror

Oct 25, 2017
Wait are we talking like Shin Godzilla and Shin Ultraman or a reinvention of the body horror Shin Kamen Rider?

Vareon

Oct 25, 2017
Wait are we talking like Shin Godzilla and Shin Ultraman or a reinvention of the body horror Shin Kamen Rider?

We only have a domain registration so far, nobody knows what it is. I doubt this has anything to do with those Anno projects though.

I haven't had time to watch Zenkaiger get and I'm behind Saber too and it's getting great?

Good thing I'm off this week.

Yep, it was a good Sunday. Saber is slowly cleaning up its mess in a good way and Zenkaiger is super fun, and what I like about it is it's full of small moments that let its characters shine.

Dec 30, 2020
So the other day I had the weirdest feeling... does anyone else think Gangan G from Kamen Rider Skyrider was the inspiration for Metalhead from TMNT?

37938.jpg

b6fa80ffaf5bb5e21df80d6dc185aaa2.jpg

Birdie

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Hot take: Sentai typically suffers by having the central cast be made up of fairly new actors who sometimes lack a certain amount of presence or can't really deliver on their character's quirks to keep things entertaining.

Zenkaiger on the other hand has most of the central cast comprised of talented and experienced anime voice actors who are skilled at playing larger than life characters.

In summary Zenkaiger has been great so far and not going to lie this is probably why for me. 👐

Deleted member 32106

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 9, 2017
Hot take: Sentai typically suffers by having the central cast be made up of fairly new actors who sometimes lack a certain amount of presence or can't really deliver on their character's quirks to keep things entertaining.

Zenkaiger on the other hand has most of the central cast comprised of talented and experienced anime voice actors who are skilled at playing larger than life characters.

In summary Zenkaiger has been great so far and not going to lie this is probably why for me. 👐
Not that difference from most of main Kamen Rider crew honestly, they will getting good over time.
My take on sentai is it's humor are so childish that aren't going well with older audience and those cluster fuck mecha, like seriously who like those mess of robot.

GalaxyDive

Oct 25, 2017

I mean, there's definitely some merit to that and casting is sometimes an issue (I guess Ninninger is the usual poster child for this) but I think it's also on the head writer to ensure that you have fun, quirky characters. For instance, it's something that's generally not a problem during Arakawa seasons because he's really damn good at not only making sure every character is interesting but that they also have defined traits from the get-go as opposed to having to wait for focus episodes to start fleshing things out.

Though I also feel like suit characters just give a more carta blanche to be "out there" I guess. Like, look at Kyuranger, which helped pave the way for Zenkaiger and has all sorts of examples here. The suit characters all scream personality from the get-go. I'd cite Stinger as a definite example in your favor as someone who needed to grow into his character's archetype, while I'd much sooner peg shortcomings with Hammy on the creative side for having no damn clue about what they wanted from the character.

Zenkaiger's other advantage is being able to introduce the characters on a much slower basis than Sentai is typically afforded, giving each a lot more breathing room.