• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
OP
OP
DioMuller

DioMuller

Oct 25, 2017
Brazil
Finished Denziman

This is a good series. First few episodes were kinda eh, but most of the things after 10 were pretty exciting, not many dull moments. I feel this is where Sentai started becoming a bit more serialized in a way - there's a overall plot with the Planet Denzi, and some sense of continuity. It's a surprisingly consistent series, for it's age. Many series that came before and after didn't really have as much care for plot consistency as this!

The villains are good. Machiko Soga is great as Queen Hedorian (so good she comes back on Sun Vulcan!), Mira and Kera are there, and General Hedoria is a *great* commander, with many incredible moments. The actor was also Japanese Spiderman, and hey, the Toku experience probably helped a lot here. Later in the series, there's also a new enemy, Banriki, that... Has his great moments, but does nothing for most of his time, unfortunately. When he's acting, it's always a dire moment for the Denziman.

The characters are also pretty good. The focus episodes are very uneven, with Blue getting a lot of them and being the second focus on many of the others, Pink getting a good number, Red getting some, Green getting a couple at the start and then being forgotten near the end, and yellow getting a grand total of... three. See, I love Kenji Ohba's acting too, and this is easily one of his best roles, but... the other characters aren't bad too! Heck, Yellow barely had any focus but really shined when he had something to do!

Oh yeah, fun fact about Denziman: It has three costume change episodes (For Pink, Blue and General Hedoria!), and three episodes *in a row* with crucifixions, including one with *kids* being crucified.

So... do I recommend it? Yeah, it's good... but there are better series to watch first if you want to get into Showa. My recommendation would still be something from Dynaman-Fiveman first, probably.

And now. I'll finally start *the final sentai*. Turboranger it is!

mrmoose

Nov 13, 2017
I watched Agito episode one with my son and the first thing he said was "is this a movie? Why is it so dark (the storyline, not the lighting)?" Such a contrast from the current era of Kamen Rider (except for Amazons).

You know the only reason they put out the episodes was to make me want the CSM belt... and it's working.

OP
OP
DioMuller

DioMuller

Oct 25, 2017
Brazil
So, with a new sentai, tradition says we'd create a new thread. Does anybody here want to create a new OT?

Otherwise, I may just turn this one into the *no year* Toku OT and just change the current series there. What do you think?

The Hobo

Oct 27, 2017
Gotta say that Toei could've done this whole kamen rider anniversary stuff a bit better. Just watching those first two episodes of agito, makes me want to rewatch that. Yet, I can only watch whatever that toku channel has and that's it. Like, I'd buy agito in a heartbeat if I could. Hell, if have bought Amazon and Ryuki too probably. These releases should've been paired with at least digital releases of some of the seasons so people can continue watching.

Buying Agito would cost you $500 at least.

Birdie

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Actually I'm an idiot...

TokuERA 2021 |OT| Masks Required

How can it possibly be anything else?

jwk94

Oct 25, 2017

Vareon

Oct 25, 2017
I agree with Masks Required. The new OT's title should be something about proudly wearing masks.

I watched Agito episode one with my son and the first thing he said was "is this a movie? Why is it so dark (the storyline, not the lighting)?" Such a contrast from the current era of Kamen Rider (except for Amazons).

You know the only reason they put out the episodes was to make me want the CSM belt... and it's working.

It's also striking how different everything was compared to the later series. There were a lot of on location shooting, bikes can still be used in actual roads, the city is full of pedestrians, other people doing their jobs, etc.

Saber is almost entirely on set or backlot, and the only people shown are those mattered to the show. Shooting restrictions for a series that runs for a whole year is just too much and Covid makes it worse.

Pluto

Oct 25, 2017
Otherwise, I may just turn this one into the *no year* Toku OT and just change the current series there. What do you think?
I'd keep this thread and change the title. I never understood the need for yearly threads, this isn't a thread for 2020 toku for example, this is a thread for all toku, it just happens to have been created in 2020. The year doesn't matter because it's always an encompassing discussion covering decades of toku and various genres.

OP
OP
DioMuller

DioMuller

Oct 25, 2017
Brazil
Kiramager 42

This was a great episode and a great way to start the final battle. Called one twist, didn't expect another.

Kinda sad Kira is ending. Didn't expect a series so good on modern times.

I'd keep this thread and change the title. I never understood the need for yearly threads, this isn't a thread for 2020 toku for example, this is a thread for all toku, it just happens to have been created in 2020. The year doesn't matter because it's always an encompassing discussion covering decades of toku and various genres.

It's an old tradition from the old place.

However, I also see no reason to follow it, since we're not moved to Discussion anyway. So, I'll just change the OT title with your idea, Birdie, and update it the week Zenkaiger is out, ok?

Last edited:

Slader166

Oct 25, 2017
Phoenix, AZ
Started Kamen Rider after a friend recommended it, halfway through KR W. I really like it so far, the comedy is on point and I love the chemistry between the cast.

Vareon

Oct 25, 2017

IIRC TokuGaf was created before community forum separation is a thing, so we create a new thread every year and update the OP with currently running series, usually coinciding with a new Sentai season, and most of the stuff we talk about is the currently running show. As tokusatsu got (slowly) more accessible we started talking about everything else so yeah the year doesn't matter anymore. Still some people like updating OT, brainstorming the new title and making new banners though so maybe we'll do just that.

alvmew

Nov 12, 2017
Kiramager 42

This was a great episode and a great way to start the final battle. Called one twist, didn't expect another.

Kinda sad Kira is ending. Didn't expect a series so good on modern times.

This, especially that last bit. Already "missing" the series enough that I ordered a full set of the mecha haha (just mad now I missed out on Makka >.>)

chaobreaker

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I found this YT channel that splices those Gaku no Tsukai no laughing punishment game specials with clips from Kamen Rider Blade and Faiz. Funny as shit.

Blader

Oct 27, 2017
Is this a general Sentai/Toku thread?

I'm closing in on the end of Timeranger right now (two episodes left to go) and I think this might actually top Dairanger for me as my fave sentai. Which is maybe not an unusual thing to say, since I know Timeranger is one of the more popular entries. But when I started this series last year, I was pretty cool to it for a while. The characters didn't feel super well defined to me; the giant monster/mech battles were kind of boring (especially coming off something like Zyuranger, which excelled at that stuff); I didn't like the annoying motion blur effect for ground battles (which they ended up using much less often as the show went on); the enemy designs were a little boring. Dairanger, out of the gate, set up a lot of clear arcs for each of its characters and I didn't get that with Timeranger.

But after about 15-20 eps, this show really got its hooks into me and this last stretch of episodes has just been fantastic. One of the things I was lukewarm toward Dairanger about was the ending, which wasn't bad and I kinda like the idea, but it felt underwhelming on screen. Timeranger on the other hand has been nailing the ending so far. Maybe it'll blow it in these last two eps but so far this shit has been sticking the landing.

Also, TimeFire is best 6th ranger.

KingWillance

Oct 25, 2017
Is this a general Sentai/Toku thread?

I'm closing in on the end of Timeranger right now (two episodes left to go) and I think this might actually top Dairanger for me as my fave sentai. Which is maybe not an unusual thing to say, since I know Timeranger is one of the more popular entries. But when I started this series last year, I was pretty cool to it for a while. The characters didn't feel super well defined to me; the giant monster/mech battles were kind of boring (especially coming off something like Zyuranger, which excelled at that stuff); I didn't like the annoying motion blur effect for ground battles (which they ended up using much less often as the show went on); the enemy designs were a little boring. Dairanger, out of the gate, set up a lot of clear arcs for each of its characters and I didn't get that with Timeranger.

But after about 15-20 eps, this show really got its hooks into me and this last stretch of episodes has just been fantastic. One of the things I was lukewarm toward Dairanger about was the ending, which wasn't bad and I kinda like the idea, but it felt underwhelming on screen. Timeranger on the other hand has been nailing the ending so far. Maybe it'll blow it in these last two eps but so far this shit has been sticking the landing.

Also, TimeFire is best 6th ranger.

You absolutely cannot post anything about TimeFire without posting their amazing theme

OP
OP
DioMuller

DioMuller

Oct 25, 2017
Brazil
IIRC TokuGaf was created before community forum separation is a thing, so we create a new thread every year and update the OP with currently running series, usually coinciding with a new Sentai season, and most of the stuff we talk about is the currently running show. As tokusatsu got (slowly) more accessible we started talking about everything else so yeah the year doesn't matter anymore. Still some people like updating OT, brainstorming the new title and making new banners though so maybe we'll do just that.

Yeah... if somebody wants to do a new OT, feel free, just tell me before.

Otherwise I'll just apply a new coat of paint to this OT, change the title, and maybe the suggestions and images.

Birdie

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Zenkaiger 6th spoilers out in the wild...

seems like Ohranger and Shikenranger? And maybe a Lupat-based transformation weapon, and what I suppose is a reference to Carrigator from Go-Onger

RangerBAD

Oct 25, 2017
They're going to shove everything they can in it?

FatalDentalHedgehog-max-1mb.gif

I guess Gokaiger wasn't bad...

Vareon

Oct 25, 2017
Seriously tho I wouldn't mind a series where Saikou is the main character. Or at least a character like him.

I dropped it already honestly. Might come back to it, but I'll see.

Also I saw Zi-O vs Decade and man some of the stuff they get away with it wild. What is it with Rider specials being more violent and edgy?

No TV restrictions so they're basically a vehicle for the team to experiment wild shit, albeit on a very tight budget.

Birdie

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
The fight scene a few episodes ago between Saber, Kenzan, Desaat, and Legiel was really good...especially how weak the fight scenes were early on this was pretty good at having a four-way melee.

The "Touma betrayed us?!" plot is also going a bit smoother due to the Logos guys not being total idiots like they were initially. It seems like most of them are quickly coming around.

Also I was surprised we actually got deaths! Sure, off screen civilian deaths but it's nice the show is showing how the rest of the world is effected.

chaobreaker

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Also I saw Zi-O vs Decade and man some of the stuff they get away with it wild. What is it with Rider specials being more violent and edgy?

When Toshiki Inoue is unburdened by age ratings, it's a sight to behold.

The excerpts from the official Kamen Rider novels he wrote are horrifying, disgusting, and amazing all at the same time.

Oct 25, 2017
It was cool seeing the first episode of V3 yesterday. I just wish Toei would release these series in full and not just tease us.

Speaking of YouTube, apparently Hasbro's plan with old Power Rangers episodes is to just dump them on YouTube for free. Because apparently the clean formats of Netflix or Hulu or any other streaming service was too nice.

mrmoose

Nov 13, 2017
It was cool seeing the first episode of V3 yesterday. I just wish Toei would release these series in full and not just tease us.

Speaking of YouTube, apparently Hasbro's plan with old Power Rangers episodes is to just dump them on YouTube for free. Because apparently the clean formats of Netflix or Hulu or any other streaming service was too nice.

I didn't watch yet, did they just use the existing official subs for V3 or do it from scratch?

Birdie

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I dropped it already honestly. Might come back to it, but I'll see.

The sub I found came with a legitimate trigger warning and time-stamp...

What the fuck am I in for?