• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Oct 25, 2017
Aw man I'm stupid behind. Might as well hold off on Kiramager until I feel like it. Especially with the new season around the corner.
And yeah I might do the same with Saber. It has NOT been interesting from what I've seen, and that seems to be a pervading thought here.
It was cool to see Ryuki officially subbed though, even if it's just one episode. Man, seeing those iMacs... major nostalgia hit.

Orayn

Oct 25, 2017
Ryuki going up officially is kind of a big deal, isn't this the first Kamen Rider content they've put up on that channel that wasn't already available somewhere else?

TheAggroCraig

One Winged Slayer
Nov 6, 2017
Ryuki going up officially is kind of a big deal, isn't this the first Kamen Rider content they've put up on that channel that wasn't already available somewhere else?

They've had a few other things on the Youtube channel, mostly movies iirc (most recently being the Gaim soccer movie they did the premiere for a few weeks ago).

Still awesome to see, though having one episode from random series every few days seems like not the best way to put these out for someone who wants to see a series. Hopefully this leads to something better.

modoversus

Oct 25, 2017
México
Just noticed that the Kamen Rider videos have this text:

※This video's subtitle is subsidized by J-LOD funding from The Ministry of Economy, Trade and Industry of Japan. "

So Toei is not even paying for the subs. They don't even want to invest in promoting this series. They probably want another Saban to come and do all the work for them.

Birdie

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I've heard this is part of the Japanese Olympic outreach to show off cultural icons to the rest of the world...so I wonder now that the olympics is cancelled will they just stop.

Oct 25, 2017
The eyes were the least of the problems. Color combos were horrid, especially in terms of any sort of color theory. The base color of the Driver and Ex-Aid are correct, but the added colors for the rest were all wrong as complementary or triadic color schemes. Any in many cases, anytime they added powers, it was a goddamn mess.

What is this?
a8b0304183109bf8cb5fcf6f0f640949.jpg

Please stop.
15037355_10154278276989862_3680188893170737716_n.jpg

Just no.
13943a78680b1f13065108beff1cdd5b.jpg

It hurts me.
hqdefault.jpg

There were some designs that worked, like Taddle Fantasy, Dangerous Zombie, or Para-DX, but otherwise, the Ex-Aid design weren't great, and that has nothing to do with the eyes.
jesus christ

NeonZ

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
Ex-Aid almost immediately got Mighty Brothers level XX, so it was dumped, but Brave and Snipe continuously used it for a long time. First it was mostly Snipe then later on Brave used it. Even when the lvl50 power up debuted it was still used for a while since there was a single gashat for both Brave and Snipe, so one of them was left with DKHZ. DKHZ only was retired by the time Kuroto joined, because he made a copy of the Brave/Snipe level 50 Gashat, so both could finally use it at once.

Harpoon

Oct 27, 2017
Kamen Rider W

That was a lot of fun! The show's whole detective theme was done brilliantly, and Shotaro and Phillip were pretty dang good protagonists with one of the GOAT catchphrases; the titular Rider requiring another character to transform did remind me of Den-O when I first started watching, albeit with a rather different approach. One thing I appreciated right off the bat was the way the Dopants worked allowed for more varied stories and situations with them than with the Imagin in Den-O (and I suppose also the Megido in Saber), since they didn't all share the same goal this time around. I liked Akiko more than I thought I would, and Shotaro's various informants were also a pretty entertaining bunch. Ryu brought some pretty interesting and fun new dynamics to the cast when he was introduced, and both of Accel's forms might be some of my new favourites.

I also did very much like how there were some overarching villains from the start this time around.
I did feel like the Sonozaki's should have stayed the main villains to the very end, though. Kazu felt very undercooked compared to them, Kirihiko, and Isaka, although there was at least a little more delving into his motivations than there was with Kai over in Den-O.
One other issue I had was how it felt like certain plot points wouldn't be addressed for dozens of episodes (I don't think we got an explanation for why Shotaro wasn't looking more into the Sonozaki's themselves until near the very end).

Oh, and one final complaint that is truly the biggest of them all... the show proper should have somehow used more Kamen Rider Skull! I'm glad I watched the W segment of the Decade/W movie, because that is one sick design. I might have to watch OOO next since I know he's also in its crossover movie with W (and also because I recently got Memory of Heroez, so I'd like to tackle both that one and Zero-One next)

Now, count up your sins!

Vareon

Oct 25, 2017
I don't know how much I rewatched Ryuki's first and second episode...like what, 18-19 years ago? At that moment the currently airing Kamen Rider on my local channel is Kuuga. Ryuki wasn't even mentioned yet in local magazines because it's new. When my brother downloaded it (using dial-up connection!) and I watched it, it blew my mind. Riders having to fight in a mirror world? The OP's singer is a woman?? A Kamen Rider that looks like a knight??? Cards???? Giant CG dragon?????

Unfortunately my telephone bill blew up and I can't download any more episodes lmao. Goddammit Toei just put all episodes on Youtube and make your money by selling CSM and Figuarts.

OP
OP
DioMuller

DioMuller

Oct 25, 2017
Brazil
Because it was too good to exist, for sure.

Kira 40

This is... an actual interesting pre-final arc episode. Normally those are the silly fillers, but man, this one was... kinda heavy? Full of great moments, twists and turns. They even introduced a new thing - humans turning into monsters - so late in the series. Normally that's not a good thing, but man, it works here.

Oh, and I love how... old school Kira is at times. The toy at the top of the monster, such an old "effect", and they don't even try to hide it, it just works!

I don't know how, Kira just keeps surprising me. Man, this episode was *good*

NeonZ

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
I think Amazon was always intended to be short which is why they were experimental in this first place. The series changed channels right after Amazon with Stronger, so it's very unlikely they'd just continue Amazon on a different channel like that.

Birdie

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Saber scan spoilers

from a magazine cover it seems Saikou is getting his full form (based on that superhero comic he was shown reading) and Saber gets a bluish silver form? Apparently "Primitive Dragon" or something?

Also no pictures but also rumored Blades gets a form that incorporates the Northern Base Riders (not sure if that means actual new ones or the Ren and co.)

Birdie

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Saber 19

The traitor plot is still a bit iffy but this episode was pretty fun character wise...Yuri slowly trying to steal the cell phone was great.

I guess Reika isn't working with the Megid like previous episodes implied though. I still think she's Desaat.

chaobreaker

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Turboranger just had it's entire series fansubbed. That means every Super Sentai series is either officially licensed or has complete fansubs.

Really come a long way from the non-existent subs and partially complete projects from a decade or so ago.

Last edited:

Birdie

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I dunno I just do...

I think it's because when Desaat killed Calibur, immediately after Touma left the book world she appeared from behind a pillar.

And it seems whenever she's around Desaat doesn't appear. I guess we'll know next week as Desaat is back and thus we'll see if she appears seperate from him.

Harpoon

Oct 27, 2017
Wasn't Desast just recently freed from imprisonment by Calibur? I feel like the timeline doesn't line up with his investigations into the Sword of Logos conspiracy.

Birdie

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Wasn't Desast just recently freed from imprisonment by Calibur? I feel like the timeline doesn't line up with his investigations into the Sword of Logos conspiracy.
I dunno we hadn't seen Reika till after Desaat was freed and I guess he could've been somehow controlling from inside his book?

But it's just a theory.

Birdie

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Primitive Dragon (guess berserker as the February-March form is gonna be Reiwa's thing) and X-Man look neat...love the Kirby dots.

jwk94

Oct 25, 2017
So yall been holding out on me. Not one of you decided to tell me that Amazon was good? I'm hurt lol. I'm sooo glad Toei put the first episode on YouTube. Can't get enough of this now. Guess this'll be my first Showa rider. Is Amazons as good as the og?

NeonZ

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
So yall been holding out on me. Not one of you decided to tell me that Amazon was good? I'm hurt lol. I'm sooo glad Toei put the first episode on YouTube. Can't get enough of this now. Guess this'll be my first Showa rider. Is Amazons as good as the og?

It's pretty different in every way. The only connection are the updated aesthetics and some name references. Season 1 of Amazons is generally considered good. Season 2 is divisive (curiously, the original Amazon is split into two pretty clear arcs that have similar reactions) and the movie is just plain bad, although with a good final confrontation (the movie feels like a side-story that got rewritten into an ending for the series when they were almost finishing it).

OP
OP
DioMuller

DioMuller

Oct 25, 2017
Brazil
Kira 41

Won't comment much because... this episode is one of those must watch ones.

Incredible everything, from plot, fights, how they used what they got, mech/ground fight integration, and the way they progressed the plot.

Hey, I think it even was in the last year's OP! Or at least I remember it being at some time.

But yeah, Amazon is short and cool, a very... unique season. Amazons, is serious grimdark. First season is good, second one is kinda eh but has it's moments.

jwk94

Oct 25, 2017
Amazon just stabbed this monster in the eye. Why is this season so bloody and gory?

Is stronger any good?

Hey, I think it even was in the last year's OP! Or at least I remember it being at some time.

But yeah, Amazon is short and cool, a very... unique season. Amazons, is serious grimdark. First season is good, second one is kinda eh but has it's
Lol well thank you for including it! I suppose I'll watch the first season of Amazons and see what I think!

NeonZ

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
Amazon just stabbed this monster in the eye. Why is this season so bloody and gory?

Is stronger any good?
Stronger is great. Well... aside from monster suits that are somehow lower budget than V3/X/Amazon's. Shigeru Jo is a pretty unique protagonist, disrespecting both allies and enemies.

After the first 13 episodes or so the show introduces General Shadow, who clashes several times with Black Satan's other commanders, and starts giving focus to villain in-fighting, to the point that it basically drives the series later on. The second half of the show also has tons of cliffhangers or just one episode leading to the next rather than the usual standalone episodes of the Showa era.

Tackle unfortunately is a pretty throw away side-kick though, who has pretty bad fighting scenes and basically only really gets to shine in one episode.

Last edited:

jwk94

Oct 25, 2017

There are also official images of the Rangers, base, and a returning character on ranger board's site.

So mick is back? That... Doesn't give me much hope. I mean, this is a different company from the ninja steel days, but I'm definitely tempering my expectations. Also, does this mean Dino fury is a ninja steel sequel of sorts? Surely they're not just gonna drop Mick in without some explanation as to where the Ninja Steel Rangers are. Maybe they went off to college?

Jakten

Oct 25, 2017
Devil World, Toronto
Is Psycho Goreman Toku?

Depending on your definition of Toku then I'd say yes. If you class Toku as a generous usage of and respect for practical special effects, people in full costumes, and not restrained to only super heroes or Japan then sure. But that would make stuff like some Charles Band movies and stuff like Robot Jox and Killer Klowns from Outer Space Toku. Which I personally am fine with because Special Effects movies doesn't really cover the specific type of feeling these movies have.

Not to mention that Japan has a much wider usage of the term, classing stuff like Star Wars, Alien, or stop motion effects like Ray Harryhausen as Tokusatsu movies.

Empyrean Cocytus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Upstate NY
Just noticed that the Kamen Rider videos have this text:

※This video's subtitle is subsidized by J-LOD funding from The Ministry of Economy, Trade and Industry of Japan. "

So Toei is not even paying for the subs. They don't even want to invest in promoting this series. They probably want another Saban to come and do all the work for them.

Shout Factory has started to do KR series, including the original and Kuuga. I'm guessing if they do well enough they will move onto other Heisei series as well.

mrmoose

Nov 13, 2017
Shout Factory has started to do KR series, including the original and Kuuga. I'm guessing if they do well enough they will move onto other Heisei series as well.

To my knowledge, this is just for their streams and there's been no physical release announced, has there?

I think the V3 DVDs from Generation Kikaida are the only physical media I own of the series (and I think someone released a couple of the revamp movies)

jwk94

Oct 25, 2017
To my knowledge, this is just for their streams and there's been no physical release announced, has there?

I think the V3 DVDs from Generation Kikaida are the only physical media I own of the series (and I think someone released a couple of the revamp movies)
Nah, no physical releases yet.

jwk94

Oct 25, 2017
Gotta say that Toei could've done this whole kamen rider anniversary stuff a bit better. Just watching those first two episodes of agito, makes me want to rewatch that. Yet, I can only watch whatever that toku channel has and that's it. Like, I'd buy agito in a heartbeat if I could. Hell, if have bought Amazon and Ryuki too probably. These releases should've been paired with at least digital releases of some of the seasons so people can continue watching.