• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Birdie

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Well first impressions Zenkaiser actor doesn't seem like the super suave cool dude such a role would need

Oct 25, 2017
VFZmGoz.png

this dude has glasses

NeonZ

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
Trailers for Decade vs Zi-O and Zi-O vs Decade.

Sougo and Tsukasa are in both specials. Decade vs Zi-O features the return of Onodera, alongside Zi-O's time jackers. Also suit-only Kivala and Diend. Decade has a new ridiculous looking ultimate form too.

Zi-O vs Decade features Geiz, Tsukuyomi and Woz, alongside a new Zi-O Decade Armor Saber Brave Dragon form.

Last edited:

Birdie

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Same actor but a new character, same with Metal Yoshida who is also back.

Also we got Kamen Rider Metsuboujinrai and Kamen Rider ZAIA...eh, pretty weak kitbash and recolor.

OptiveLink

Oct 25, 2017
tyz6kfrtsyb61.jpg

Saber is actually going to be the next Ghost, isn't it? :/

Ultraman Orb:
While Z is "technically" my first Ultraman, Orb is the first one I've ever watched to completion. Honestly, I really liked everything about it.
The series did drag on a bit, even though it was only 24 episodes, but the characters were fun, the story was engaging, Juggler could step on me, and the concept of a broken hero looking for redemption is super great. I really liked the weird friends and the way that they were developed as well.
If I find the Blu-Ray, I'll pick it up.

If there's one thing that didn't completely work for me, it would be the forms:
- Spacium Zeperion: Basic Ultra. Looks slick.
- Burnmite: Red form with horns. The attack is cool, I guess.
- Hurricane Slash: Blue with a spear. Lame.
- Thunder Breastar: Weird proportions? The concept is neat.
- Orb Origin: A bit too simple for my taste? Dunno. I wanted something more... flashy?

Ultra Galaxy Movie:
I got sad for characters I don't even know lmao what a movie. Also Zero is 10/10.
Sucks that his figure is hard to find and expensive as hell.

Last edited:

Vareon

Oct 25, 2017
It's really hard to care about Saber's plot right now when the other Riders are just shouting at each other and nobody wants to sit down and talk :/

Valkerion

Oct 29, 2017
Well first impressions Zenkaiser actor doesn't seem like the super suave cool dude such a role would need

Agreed, the haircut is doing nothing for him. Guess they wanted to smooth the edge he has when not modeling/being on fake internet reality tv shows.
79c08f5e3ffcf9f190d7e839cf58602f_1610688821_2.jpg

Guess this is more a Kamen Rider protag look lol.

OP
OP
DioMuller

DioMuller

Oct 25, 2017
Brazil
I kinda like what I've seen of Zenkaiger. Cautiously optimistic about it, considering the team's history.

Saber 18

Or, as I call it, my weekly torture. To be fair, this is getting a bit better. Not good, but better. It's turning from "Ghost's Writer trying to do Ex-Aid" to "Good old formulaic Rider... with a messy plot". Still bad, but still salvageble to be meh or even ok-ish.

That said, this was another sloppy episode. The final revelation also fits the series - 2 episodes could be five minutes at best.

I still like what those characters are trying to be, but man, the writing doesn't help.

OP
OP
DioMuller

DioMuller

Oct 25, 2017
Brazil
The MHWilliams Index: How Many episodes it takes for him to drop the series? :V

Kira 39

Now this is a good series. That was a pretty good - and tense! - episode. Heck, this could be a two-parter and it would be even better, for that!

ash32121

Oct 27, 2017
after done with Z, bought the riser and pre-order the dark riser, now I finally start to watch Kirameiger (stop around ep 12, almost finished watching the whole thing now) and start trudging through Saber (stop after ep 2) and man, Kira is some of the best Sentai since Samba dino. Saber is some of the worst Kamen rider since Ghost.

MHWilliams

Oct 25, 2017
It's clear at this point that saber is gonna be a dud series. At least when ghost happened we had Amazons to distract ourselves with.

I'm sad, because I mostly only have Kirameiger to watch. Ultraman Z is done, and there's no concrete news about the next full Ultra series. Zenkaiger is a big question mark.

It'll be fine, because I'm always ready for a dud series. Sentai has been throwing them at me for back-to-back for years, so Kamen Rider having one here and there is fine.

The MHWilliams Index: How Many episodes it takes for him to drop the series? :V

I'll spin up my review website.

Last edited:

Birdie

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I hope, hope, hope that as cliche as it is eventually we learn Reika has some sort of power that's making the Logos folks not act totally legit.

I think some speculated it was the Tri Cerberus book since a few of them have used it now right?

Vareon

Oct 25, 2017
I hope, hope, hope that as cliche as it is eventually we learn Reika has some sort of power that's making the Logos folks not act totally legit.

I think some speculated it was the Tri Cerberus book since a few of them have used it now right?

Their boss disappeared and they just went "Welp, I guess we'll be taking orders from Southern Base lady now, and she said Touma is bad" with no active attempt of trying to find Sophia (is her disappearance real life related btw?) or trying to understand their situation. At this point I'll accept asspulls like Powers or they were just playing along all this time.

jwk94

Oct 25, 2017
This would've been a FAR better design for the Dino Megazord than what the movie gave us.

flametoyspowerrangers.jpeg

news.tokunation.com

FlameToys Reveals New Mighty Morphin Power Rangers Megazord Combinable Figure

The folks at FlameToys have previewed a brand new product and a brand new product line. Known for their impressive Transformers model kits, FlameToys is moving in to the realm of transforming and combining robots - and the first venture in this new product line is the Mighty Morphin Power...

Known for their impressive Transformers model kits, FlameToys is moving in to the realm of transforming and combining robots – and the first venture in this new product line is the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers Dino Megazord.

This product is officially licensed by Hasbro.

Birdie

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
You know I found Rina Chinen's (Sofia) Instagram and there's a picture of her January 8 with a breathing tube so yeah I guess there is health issues going on there.

Mr. Mug

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Their boss disappeared and they just went "Welp, I guess we'll be taking orders from Southern Base lady now, and she said Touma is bad" with no active attempt of trying to find Sophia (is her disappearance real life related btw?) or trying to understand their situation. At this point I'll accept asspulls like Powers or they were just playing along all this time.

While I do agree with this I do also think that Southern Base lady's orders have been fairly reasonable so far. It's something they could and probably should be able to talk out but stopping him from being able to become Saber while they figure out if he's been corrupted is not that big of an ask. It would be way sillier if she outright asked them to kill him or something and they went along with it.

mrmoose

Nov 13, 2017
While I do agree with this I do also think that Southern Base lady's orders have been fairly reasonable so far. It's something they could and probably should be able to talk out but stopping him from being able to become Saber while they figure out if he's been corrupted is not that big of an ask. It would be way sillier if she outright asked them to kill him or something and they went along with it.

I dunno, they went really fast from "I trust him completely" to "hey, maybe he is a purple traitor." And it's not like he's on the run, they know exactly where to find him and his best friend, but they just kind of give up because hey, it's a 30 minute show.

mrmoose

Nov 13, 2017
Where's that roof they always hang out on?

Like is that the top of Touma's...uh, house?

I just assumed he somehow lived above his bookstore and above that was his roof which has all his stage stuff on it, but yeah who knows?

When sword dude was rummaging through his store and they thought someone had broken in, all that did was remind the viewers that the freaking Sword of Logos have a door right to his shop.

Are the Southern swords going to be introduced later as the bad faction?

I realize a lot of people have given up on the show, but I dunno, my kids love it. Also got the belts/swords, and the main one, while understandably super short, has some cool stuff in it. Besides all the interaction with the books, I like how touching the different hilts to the blade changes the color of the blade (red/blue/yellow).

Birdie

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Yeah this current plot would work better if there were Southern members and the Southern Base just wasn't a dark, empty room. It makes the Northern Logos guys seem dumber.

MHWilliams

Oct 25, 2017
What's so awful abut Saber?

Short list?

- The fast pace and larger cast means characters get shortchanged in terms of characterizations and motivation. They're also not entirely interesting as archetypes? Touma is the nominal lead, but the plot is really about Kento? Buster is an interesting idea for a Rider, but mostly sidelined. Everyone else is...there I guess?
- Not a huge fan of the choreography of fights, and that's likely a fault of the suits themselves. This isn't a Saber-only problem, but this plus the first problem leads into issue #3
- Without interesting choreography, the fights have to rely heavily on their meaning. And since issue #1 exists, frequently there is no meaning. This is a fight because there needed to be a fight here.

And all this is early stuff. Maybe it's gotten better or worse, I dunno. Judging by the commentary, seemingly worse?

Like, these problems have existed in Rider before. Take Ex-Aid, which had bad suits and middling fights. Problem yes, but the story was then focused heavily around Emu. Wizard had cool choreography, but Haruto is dull as dishwater and most of the story isn't really about him in any major way. You want your hero to drive with the plot with his actions, motivations, and relationships.

Overall, Saber feels like a bid-budget sequel to Ryukendo, but... not as good?

DragonSJG

Banned
Mar 4, 2019
Short list?

- The fast pace and larger cast means characters get shortchanged in terms of characterizations and motivation. They're also not entirely interesting as archetypes? Touma is the nominal lead, but the plot is really about Kento? Buster is an interesting idea for a Rider, but mostly sidelined. Everyone else is...there I guess?
- Not a huge fan of the choreography of fights, and that's likely a fault of the suits themselves. This isn't a Saber-only problem, but this plus the first problem leads into issue #3
- Without interesting choreography, the fights have to rely heavily on their meaning. And since issue #1 exists, frequently there is no meaning. This is a fight because there needed to be a fight here.

And all this is early stuff. Maybe it's gotten better or worse, I dunno. Judging by the commentary, seemingly worse?

Like, these problems have existed in Rider before. Take Ex-Aid, which had bad suits and middling fights. Problem yes, but the story was then focused heavily around Emu. Wizard had cool choreography, but Haruto is dull as dishwater and most of the story isn't really about him in any major way. You want your hero to drive with the plot with his actions, motivations, and relationships.

Overall, Saber feels like a bid-budget sequel to Ryukendo, but... not as good?
Ex Aid suits were fire but fair list

Birdie

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I don't hate Saber though, I look forward to watching it...it's definitely awkwardly written.

I think it helps I didn't go into it with a ton of expectations compared to Ghost which seemed cool at first with the suits and such. Man Ghost sucked honestly in terms of like everything really in the end (Saber's villains don't do shit but I like them far more than anything Ghost had bar Alain who I don't even count as one I guess) but damn I look fondly back on the suits. Will have the main three Ghost figures by next month.

It doesn't really matter much to the quality of the show but I wish all the books were based on Fairy Tales instead of Legendary Beasts and...uh, regular animals.

Vareon

Oct 25, 2017
You know I found Rina Chinen's (Sofia) Instagram and there's a picture of her January 8 with a breathing tube so yeah I guess there is health issues going on there.

Ouch, I kinda suspected health reasons since the show felt like they're avoiding talking about Sophia altogether because they don't know when she'll return. If there are actual health issues I hope she's OK.

I think the problem is the show failed to establish how Logos works as an organization (Are they militant? Are they just a group of independent swordsmen who sometimes work with each other? Can they question orders or act independently?) because it's so busy keeping up with the plot. Plus we haven't seen Touma doing something very suspicious (a classic misunderstanding ingredient) when the other Riders just appeared in his way and went "Hey you're sus, come with us" in which Touma understandably went "what the fuck".

What's so awful abut Saber?

There's nothing particularly good or stood out about the series, but its "awfulness" is overanalyzed (like what I did in this very post, heh) due to the nature of it being half of the two notable running Tokusatsu today. Kiramager in comparison is also nothing very special IMO, but it has been constantly good at what it's trying to achieve for most of its run and it just gets talked less.

In the end Saber is 20 minutes of action figures fighting with each other which is a pretty fine way to spend weekly time for me.

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
What happen to those eps of kamen rider toei was suppose to post?

MHWilliams

Oct 25, 2017
People still can't get over the eyes...
The eyes were the least of the problems. Color combos were horrid, especially in terms of any sort of color theory. The base color of the Driver and Ex-Aid are correct, but the added colors for the rest were all wrong as complementary or triadic color schemes. Any in many cases, anytime they added powers, it was a goddamn mess.

What is this?
a8b0304183109bf8cb5fcf6f0f640949.jpg

Please stop.
15037355_10154278276989862_3680188893170737716_n.jpg

Just no.
13943a78680b1f13065108beff1cdd5b.jpg

It hurts me.
hqdefault.jpg

There were some designs that worked, like Taddle Fantasy, Dangerous Zombie, or Para-DX, but otherwise, the Ex-Aid design weren't great, and that has nothing to do with the eyes.

Vareon

Oct 25, 2017
Ex-Aid designs were wild. I wouldn't come up with those designs because I'm too busy designing edgy superheroes, but the fact that someone designed something like that, someone else gave it a greenlight, then someone else gave it a cool story, and the series pretty much did what it intended to do regarding toy sales is pretty amazing. Wrong color theory and clunky armor is a designer's problem, kids seem to like it fine.

OptiveLink

Oct 25, 2017
I'm actually shocked to see someone hating Muteki. It's such a perfect "Star" representation, especially with the health bar dreads.
Also you hate Shakariki Sports so I'm 1000% sure you're wrong.

The other designs are garbage fire tho.

Birdie

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I like fun designs like that, when I draw up Rider I go for that fun mix of themes...

Like I finished my design for a Christmas-themed Rider. He mixes a tank (and other vehicles) with Christmas presents.