• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

NeonZ

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
So Sabers writing is bad right?
The writer left again
This time he is actually giving plot points to the secondary writers unlike during his big break in Ghost. The issue is that due to the writers constantly changing they seem to focus primarily on their own assignments, rather than the overall flow of the series, which makes the pacing and twists feel odd. If they couldn't stick with a single writer for most episodes, they should have gone for something more episodic.

Birdie

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Cheapest SHFig I could find is OOOs, guess I'll get him I like him.

Stuff like Kabuto or Kiva are like 200$ though...

modoversus

Oct 25, 2017
México
SHFig prices are insane for Rider. The basic Rider starts like at 40-45, then any other character or variant jumps to 120-200 USD. I actually paid 120 for Zombie Genm Level X, and while it is a nice figure, putting it next to Ex-Aid, there is barely any noticiable difference in quality given the price of both. And they don't even include a tamashii stand, or in the case of the Zi-O/20 Kicks re-issue of figures, you only get the base but no other parts to help set up and pose the characers.

Birdie

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Spending over 100$ on a toy...and not even an electronic one...is something I wish I could do lol.

Them against there's been numerous nights I've gone out with friends and spendt that much trying to impress random woman so, eh, priorities.

Yukari

Mar 28, 2018
Thailand
Saber - 16

They didn't forget Sophia just not care about her.

G0aYd4U.jpg

Also, Everyone seems interesting in that big diorama.

Harpoon

Oct 27, 2017
Decided to ring in the New Year by finally getting on watching Kamen Rider W for the first time!

Really hope that if I ever get engaged, I don't have to be completely naked in front of my fiancé's entire demonic family when they can turn me into a horrifying monster too, not gonna lie

DragonSJG

Banned
Mar 4, 2019
Side note, we can agree Zi O's plot was undeveloped and made no sense right? I'm still confused by a lot of things

NeonZ

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
Side note, we can agree Zi O's plot was undeveloped and made no sense right? I'm still confused by a lot of things
Reading behind the scenes info from the Japanese wiki, Zi-O feels like one of those cases where executives force concepts on the writers and you can kind of feel like the writers half-assed how those would be handled compared to how the staff executes their own ideas. See Geiz for an obvious example. Originally meant to be a high school rival for Sougo, but changed to a weaker future rebel when they couldn't get Bandai to give him as many upgrades as Sougo. This all happened before the show started and yet his future backstory remained underdeveloped through the entire series since the writers never cared for it.

Birdie

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
So was that other guy who wanted to be ZI-O a remnant of the original Geiz plot where he was a rival aiming for the same thing?

DragonSJG

Banned
Mar 4, 2019
Reading behind the scenes info from the Japanese wiki, Zi-O feels like one of those cases where executives force concepts on the writers and you can kind of feel like the writers half-assed how those would be handled compared to how the staff executes their own ideas. See Geiz for an obvious example. Originally meant to be a high school rival for Sougo, but changed to a weaker future rebel when they couldn't get Bandai to give him as many upgrades as Sougo. This all happened before the show started and yet his future backstory remained underdeveloped through the entire series since the writers never cared for it.
Any other neat ideas

modoversus

Oct 25, 2017
México
Reminder: Power Rangers, VR Troopers and Big Bad Beetleborgs will be removed from both US and LatAm Netflix at the end of the month.

Vareon

Oct 25, 2017

Kamen Rider's stories in general makes sense if you read it in written form or read interviews about what they want to do with the story, but storytelling faults makes it harder to follow them. Character motivations are underdeveloped, scenes jump to one another with little sense of continuity, etc. Bonus points if a certain character's motives are explained in "watch our (net) movies".

Sandfox

Oct 25, 2017
Oma Day stuff
White Woz's future
for example
White Woz is from an alternate timeline created during the first arc where Geiz defeats eventually Ohma Zi-Oand instead worships him because of that.

Oma Day is just supposed to be the name of the day Zi-O finally becomes Ohma Zi-O rather than one, but the timeline changed multiple times during the series that affected the future and it moved the date around.

Last edited:

NeonZ

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
So was that other guy who wanted to be ZI-O a remnant of the original Geiz plot where he was a rival aiming for the same thing?

Just tried to search for info about him but I couldn't find anything. He does feel kind of odd though, especially with him appearing in the Final Stage in spite of not being part of the main cast. There are several scrapped end game plans mentioned by the wiki, all with sources, but none mention him.

Originally, the idea seemed to be a huge clash of Riders fighting for the throne. This was even mentioned in an early .5 episode as a teaser, and in the show itself it's mentioned that Oma Zi-O eliminated all other Riders when he appeared when the Day of Oma is first explained in the Shinobi arc. The original end-game idea would be Zi-O vs high schooler Geiz, but after they dropped that plan for Geiz, they also dropped him as the final boss. At this point, the idea was Woz organizing the entire conflict, with the form we now know as Woz Ginga being actually Woz's true form for when his true nature is revealed.

There were also plans involving this scenario where rather than facing Woz it'd be Oma Zi-O or even Decade as the final opponent. Ultimately, this entire scenario was scrapped when they realized Woz was very popular as an ally and thought making him a villain setting up a Rider War would hurt that popularity. They also mention this originated the idea for Woz's betrayal in Over Quartzer, although even then they avoided making Woz behind it all and had a new character above him.

Last edited:

GalaxyDive

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah some elements of Zi-O are a complete mess and basically all of the earlier cameos are wasted, but at least the series gave us;
1. A fairly significant helping of Smug Destroyer Decade
2. Earnest "sequel" stories for numerous early Heisei Riders like Agito, Blade, etc. Even with no Mizushima because of whatever industry BS, seeing Kagami and the Hoppers transform and fight in 2019 was the most I've fanboyed in quite some time.

zeropercent

Teyvat Traveler
May 13, 2020
Finally got around to setting up my Horobi display, so my metsuboujinrai display is complete (at least until they release ikazuchi and naki figuarts, but I'm still salty that they split naki's key out into a separate set)

Eq-DWRhU0AAi2Z2

Eq-DWRhUUAEeNWb

Vareon

Oct 25, 2017
Finally got around to setting up my Horobi display, so my metsuboujinrai display is complete (at least until they release ikazuchi and naki figuarts, but I'm still salty that they split naki's key out into a separate set)

Eq-DWRhU0AAi2Z2

Eq-DWRhUUAEeNWb

That's a nice collection! Good luck getting the rest of Metsubou Jinrai figuarts.

Boxy Brown

Oct 27, 2017
Just finished watching Gaim and just.... wow. That was incredible. Urobuchi never disappoints me. This was my first Kamen Rider series and it was pretty much everything I wanted. I heard Build is similar so I'm gonna start that one up next.

MHWilliams

Oct 25, 2017
Just finished watching Gaim and just.... wow. That was incredible. Urobuchi never disappoints me. This was my first Kamen Rider series and it was pretty much everything I wanted. I heard Build is similar so I'm gonna start that one up next.

Urobuchi always delivers, even if the scrum of eps before the final is a bit muddled.

Birdie

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Gaim definitely flubs the landing a bit, but watching that show live (my first live Rider...right after I marathoned every Rider Kuuga through Wizard, though not in that order) was awesome.

Avoid the summer film it's dreadful. The Movie Wars was pretty weak too, probably the weakest of those. Gaim x Drive I recall was a bit better. Also the Kikaider reboot tie in and the movie tie in episode were weaksauce.

I actually loved the ToQger episode though.

NeonZ

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
I didn't like it. Wasn't Kagami's story stepping out of Tendo's shadow and being his own person. Him becoming Kabuto seems to backtrack on that.

I thought they handled it in the best way possible, at least as far as not adding a new suit goes. He didn't become Kabuto by mimicking Tendo's style, it was by doing his own thing. And he needed Kabuto's power to destroy Another Kabuto, otherwise it'd fall to Zi-O's crew.

The best possible version of that episode though would have been him getting the Hyper Zecter for real and turning into Hyper Gattack, but they'd probably need to make a new suit for that, since it's very unlikely the old one shot HBV suit still exists.

Last edited:

Vareon

Oct 25, 2017
Ultraman Chronicle Z: Heroes Odyssey begins today, it's basically the clip show series they usually air inbetween new Ultraman seasons.

Given how last year's Ultraman Chronicle Zero & Geed leads to Ultraman Z, there are speculations that the next Ultraman will be related to Tiga.

Too bad it seems they can't get Hiroshi Nagano back as Daigo because of Adult Circumstances™.

Birdie

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
So I heard stuff about Zenkaiger and maybe Saber moving to like Toei's Kyoto studio for filming?

OP
OP
DioMuller

DioMuller

Oct 25, 2017
Brazil
Kiramager 38

Oohhhh, it's cool to see another side of Garza, Takamichi and the king. The duel was nice too.

The MotW wasn't bad, too! He was pretty much the B plot this episode and didn't even have a giant form, but even so, the way he was defeated was cool.

Birdie

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Got my Build SHF figure...

In the package (the FexEx) was two little Drive figures two? Like an inch tall, one solid green, one solid purple---they both just seem to be regular Type Speed though so not sure about the colors. Weird.

OP
OP
DioMuller

DioMuller

Oct 25, 2017
Brazil
Saber 17

If this show has the balls to make Tassel vibes more and more evil each episode, and then make him a villain, it's already way better than Ghost.
Then again, this writter can surprise me... negatively.

Sword guy is funny. I like him.

Writing is still a mess. At least it's not as rushed as before, I guess. But can't say I like how the conflicts are developing here, they feel... kinda boring?

Vareon

Oct 25, 2017
At least the stakes felt more immediate now with there being an actual human to save on the screen.

Birdie

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Speaking of Ghost I've ordered a Spectre and Necrom S.H. to go along with my Ghost.

...I'm tempted to buy the Iguana too and display it lol.

Thordinson

Aug 1, 2018
Anyone familiar with the Kamen Rider Figure-rise model kits? I'm planning on getting one. I used to do the Gundam model kits when I was a kid and I wanted to get back into it. Are they pretty similar?

Birdie

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Anyone familiar with the Kamen Rider Figure-rise model kits? I'm planning on getting one. I used to do the Gundam model kits when I was a kid and I wanted to get back into it. Are they pretty similar?
I found the Ex-Aid one at GameStop. It's solid... pretty easy to build (though the small stickers are a pain to put on), it looks pretty good next to my SH Figuart Riders.

Vareon

Oct 25, 2017
Zenkaiger press conference at 12 JST, means it's about one hour and ten minutes from this post! Unless you can find a restream, you need VPN if you want to view it through official channel.

Valkerion

Oct 29, 2017

Finished Build last weekend. What a ride. I've never seen a show, Rider or not, that just straight up 100% did the "plot twist an episode" story telling haha. Not to mention the insane body count. "yeah there are robot shaped humans in this world, we could just contain the violence to them, but lets put equal amounts of clearly humans too, which one gets shot in the face with a quick cut.... take a guess Japanese school kids!"

Fun story and characters though. I liked it. Might jump into Zi-O next after WandaVision. I always get burned out on Rider around episode 40 and take weeks to finish them, but immediately want more once I do lol.

I enjoy this recontextualizing of Zero-One to play up the business suit elements.
ee6ac17671f7bf04923c66b94c56a48a.jpg
Never saw this. Love it, would have been a real interesting take if Aruto was a serious businessman rider with some swag. But I love the Zero-One suit in general.

Reminds me to get cracking on buying a SOFVICS Zero-Two figure as well, already got the Zero-One. The combini I got the first figure from never got a shipment of the Zero-Two stuff.

Last edited: