• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Sandfox

Oct 25, 2017
The relationships in Saber are shallow. Touma talked about how the rest of the Swordsmen were his friends, but it just came across as an empty platitude because they're little more than colleagues. The show hasn't actually built them up as friends because the pacing has been so fast that they're jumping from one fight to another, and when they're not fighting, they're focused on their work as swordsmen. There's no downtime for these characters to properly bond.
Touma calls them "nakama", which means colleague, or comrade. The fansubbers just decided to translate it as "friend".

Basically "tomodachi" is the word you would use with someone you are close enough to call friend and "nakama" is for an acquaintance or someone you are working with to achieve a common goal.

I've noticed that the fansubs make a lot of decisions like that with their translations where they kinda ignore context when choosing how to translate a line.

Vareon

Oct 25, 2017
Negi Haruba (5toubun no Hanayome/Quintessential Quintuplets, basically harem romcom with quintuplet heroine)'s next work is about... Sentai. The title is Sentai Daishikkaku

I doubt this is a traditional/action series but hey I'm not complaining! It starts at February 3rd.

GalaxyDive

Oct 25, 2017
Regardless, those are... some really damn cool designs, actually. A modern-feeling helmet shape, visor designs make me feel Timeranger for some reason (probably the colored visors + all the black + mouths) and the chest lining denoting their rank/number is a nice touch.

Last edited:

GalaxyDive

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah so the colored visors made me realize.... Timeranger's the only time they've ever done those, yeah? Man, between that and GoBusters, whenever they try something new with the designs and the series sells poorly they just stay away from every single defining design element like the plague afterward (I guess you could also lump in Geki and its lack of belts here too if you wanted).

NeonZ

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
Lupinranger also had colored visors. Although that didn't perform well either.

GalaxyDive

Oct 25, 2017
Ohhh right. Took 18 years for them to come back to them.... and even then, as funky hat visors (also balanced against the Patranger's more traditional design). Maybe in 10 years we'll see leather costumes again.

Last edited:

GalaxyDive

Oct 25, 2017
How the hell did I forget that when I was even talking about the GoBusters costumes.

I guess replacement sidenote: colored visors are cursed.

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, dude made a twitter account just to upload that stuff.

Still hasn't uploaded the ninth page, with the villains, though <o>
you can even make out their silhouettes from page 8 aaaaaa

chaobreaker

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
It would be a disservice to mention Go-Buster's costumes and not mention how they traded the spandex for those slick leather oufits.

Vareon

Oct 25, 2017
I've cosplayed Decade and Hibiki with resin helmets. Makes me appreciate the stunt actors more, they were rad shit by performing all those stunts in a costume.

OP
OP
DioMuller

DioMuller

Oct 25, 2017
Brazil
Kira 36 (Man, it's weird to think Kira will probably be the shortest sentai since JAKQ)

Kiramager keep doing unique things with old tropes. Love it. Juuru sucking at rap battles was nice too. The resolution was... eh, expected, but I just loved how Crunchula turned people evil just by dissing them.

The monster battle per se was more of a gotta do it thing, but I like what the uniqueness of the monster being pilloted by Crunchula with a mic.

Wait, did Crunchula die? It's this time of the year already? Can we keep Yodonna? Forever?

Birdie

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
By the way how does the vaccine outlook look in Japan?

It seems like it'd be an easy country to quickly vaccinate.

jwk94

Oct 25, 2017
I'm watching og ultraman.... I don't understand this show. One second is a Sci fi drama, the next it's a comedy. Are all the early Ultras like this?

ash32121

Oct 27, 2017
I'm watching og ultraman.... I don't understand this show. One second is a Sci fi drama, the next it's a comedy. Are all the early Ultras like this?
Yes, expect more blood, decapitation, and weird trippy image like this

A1405.jpg

Early Ultraman is a riot.

NeonZ

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
I feel like the Og Ultraman always suffers when it gets into the battles compared to the other stuff. There are some later episodes that are fantastically shot throughout, but then the giant Ultraman battle just drags everything down. Later on they kind of stop doing overly goofy choreography like that one time Red King was cheering while other monsters fought, or Ultraman acting like a boastful (mime) wrestler in some early battles, but the suit acting still feels oddly goofy and weightless even when they aren't openly going for humor.

UltraSeven is overall more serious, although a few of the battles still fall to goofy stuff. It limits almost all stories to be about alien invasions though, rather than the complete free flow of the original Ultraman, where the only requirement is a giant monster appearing for a battle at the end.

Return of Ultraman generally is serious too and pushes character drama much more strongly than both of the previous series. It also still has a couple of episodes that stand out a lot visually in the middle of the series (and they finally manage to make good suits for quadruped monsters). However, it's also the series where they start giving up on being an actual sci-fi show and become more like standard toku, with many monsters just appearing out of nowhere in order to trigger the episode's human drama, some feeling really forced (like this one time a construction team finds a complete dinosaur fossil and they just want to demolish it to finish their building, and only children and people sympathizing with the children seem to care enough to stop them from destroying what should be a historic discovery). It's also pretty clear the show was running low on budget in later episodes when the entire "Earth defense force" was reduced to five guys in a car. The finale ends up pretty underwhelming.

Then Ultraman Ace is when they completely gave up and it's just a standard toku show, although with some very out there imagery at times. There's now an actual recurring villain behind the scenes sending the monsters and they can appear anywhere from anything, due to their "chouju/Terrible Monster" creating machine. There are many serious episodes, but also a few quite goofy encounters beyond anything in the previous series. Frustratingly, the special team here also often dismisses reports of monsters from their own crew, even punishing the main character sometimes when he wants to lead an investigation but there's no giant stomping around, which makes little sense when they know there's a recurring threat. It also introduces goofier concepts like the "Ultra Brothers" as recurring characters (although most of the time just to briefly give plot devices, exposition or job) and "Father of Ultra"
(Santa Claus)

I'm only starting Taro so I can't comment on it yet.

Last edited:
OP
OP
DioMuller

DioMuller

Oct 25, 2017
Brazil
Saber 16

I don't know what is more surprising here, the series remembering that Sophia exists, or that Buster's son exists.

This series... loves creating plot elements out of nowhere and throwing it at you like they always existed. Just another case here.

At least Dark Sophia is doing something, and it's clear she's the traitor now. Heck, as misunderstandings go, this was actually well done, I'll give this series that. The whole thing was written in a way that makes sense for the characters, even if the series is kinda eh with their development most of the times.

That said, I like Sword Rider. Such a cool idea.

Good to see the Ultraman Geed cameos. And Sakamoto always does great work.

jwk94

Oct 25, 2017
I feel like the Og Ultraman always suffers when it gets into the battles compared to the other stuff. There are some later episodes that are fantastically shot throughout, but then the giant Ultraman battle just drags everything down. Later on they kind of stop doing overly goofy choreography like that one time Red King was cheering while other monsters fought, or Ultraman acting like a boastful (mime) wrestler in some early battles, but the suit acting still feels oddly goofy and weightless even when they aren't openly going for humor.

UltraSeven is overall more serious, although a few of the battles still fall to goofy stuff. It limits almost all stories to be about alien invasions though, rather than the complete free flow of the original Ultraman, where the only requirement is a giant monster appearing for a battle at the end.

Return of Ultraman generally is serious too and pushes character drama much more strongly than both of the previous series. It also still has a couple of episodes that stand out a lot visually in the middle of the series (and they finally manage to make good suits for quadruped monsters). However, it's also the series where they start giving up on being an actual sci-fi show and become more like standard toku, with many monsters just appearing out of nowhere in order to trigger the episode's human drama, some feeling really forced (like this one time a construction team finds a complete dinosaur fossil and they just want to demolish it to finish their building, and only children and people sympathizing with the children seem to care enough to stop them from destroying what should be a historic discovery). It's also pretty clear the show was running low on budget in later episodes when the entire "Earth defense force" was reduced to five guys in a car. The finale ends up pretty underwhelming.

Then Ultraman Ace is when they completely gave up and it's just a standard toku show, although with some very out there imagery at times. There's now an actual recurring villain behind the scenes sending the monsters and they can appear anywhere from anything, due to their "chouju/Terrible Monster" creating machine. There are many serious episodes, but also a few quite goofy encounters beyond anything in the previous series. Frustratingly, the special team here also often dismisses reports of monsters from their own crew, even punishing the main character sometimes when he wants to lead an investigation but there's no giant stomping around, which makes little sense when they know there's a recurring threat. It also introduces goofier concepts like the "Ultra Brothers" as recurring characters (although most of the time just to briefly give plot devices, exposition or job) and "Father of Ultra"
(Santa Claus)

I'm only starting Taro so I can't comment on it yet.
Question (just a yes or no would suffice): When the Ultras eventually go home in the season finale, do their partners get to keep their beta capsules or nah?

Yes. It's why I'm not a huge fan of Ultraman. Tone is all over the place.

Z was fantastic for what I watched though.
Depend.
Seven is very sci-fi-drama.
Thanks for the answers, everyone! I'll continue and see if I like OG Ultra. Might skip around a bit afterwards.

NeonZ

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
Question (just a yes or no would suffice): When the Ultras eventually go home in the season finale, do their partners get to keep their beta capsules or nah?
The transformation item (if any) depends on the season, and even the answer to your question also varies depending on the season. And sometimes post-series appearances might change what happens in the tv finale. Sometimes the host and Ultra split, sometimes they don't. In some series, like UltraSeven, the Ultra is just using a human disguise and there's no host at all.

Regarding the original series,
Ultraman splits from Hayata at the end. However, at some point before one of the later episodes of Return of Ultraman they were together again, seemingly joining again off-screen.

OP
OP
DioMuller

DioMuller

Oct 25, 2017
Brazil
Huh? Was it an actual Ultra, someone from the show, or just the actor?

Kinda both? The couple (with the baby) were Moa (the woman) and Zena (the man) from Geed. They were the series supporting characters, agents of a MIB-style group.

The man is also suit actor for... many ultra, including Geed himself, but also X, Orb, Rosso, Taiga, Z, and others. Apparently he'll also be the suit actor for a future Rider.

Oh yeah, they are a real couple. They married after Geed.

Birdie

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
The betrayal plot was dumb but the rest of the Saber episode felt like the characters lived in an actual world

OP
OP
DioMuller

DioMuller

Oct 25, 2017
Brazil
Kiramager 37

Ohhh, so Crunchula survive... in a way. Pretty creative use of what we already know. And Kira keeps subverting the expectations! What would be a whole episode's conflict before was just one of the conflicts in Kira.

And then that big reveal at the end. While not 100% unexpected, it was hella well done.

I know there are only a limited ways I can say Kira is good, just like it's a bit repetitive to say Saber is messy every week, but... Kira really feels like the epitome of most things Arakawa learned from his past series, even if the tone is appears to be lighter than most of them.

Can't believe PPAPing helped.

modoversus

Oct 25, 2017
México
Saber's first episode of the new arc feels like an improvement, tough the "betrayal" and the reaction of the characters was definitively rushed to an almost comedic degree.

Birdie

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Think I'm gonna buy a Rider thing with my stim check...another figurine or should I finally get a belt?

Birdie

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I really want the Sclash Driver and the Crocodile Crack Full Bottle because I love the sound

TheAggroCraig

One Winged Slayer
Nov 6, 2017
I just picked up the Zero One driver recently and it's great, they take up so much room so I need to not get these too often -_-

I want a Sclash driver too, so if you go with that don't tell me how good it is