• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Birdie

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Zoous going ham and doing backflips was pretty rad.

A really weird scene but untransformed fights are always a treat.

"We failed but that doesnt matter!" 🙄

Vareon

Oct 25, 2017
Losing four faces in a Sentai sounds like a big deal to me, I wonder if they'll compensate that (or if the robots have human form).

Sandfox

Oct 25, 2017
Just finished Saber 15 and that was a really interesting way to end the arc. The show is going in a different direction than I expected.

Losing four faces in a Sentai sounds like a big deal to me, I wonder if they'll compensate that (or if the robots have human form).
We will probably get more human villains and supporting cast instead.
They often join the battlefield to support MOTW or Make story progress.

But The Generals in Zyuohger and Lupat do most is sitting and watch.

Hello Zamigo?
With Zamigo I think the actor had other obligations that prevented him from appearing as much as they wanted.

chaobreaker

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Whoever plays Zenkaiser will shoulder a lot of responsibility with their role. The only face actor in a Sentai series main cast is a unprecedented first.

And they have to bounce off suit actors and anniversary guests too. Imagine they're expected to come back to reprise the role all the time too.

I bet they're being much calculated with the casting this year.

OP
OP
DioMuller

DioMuller

Oct 25, 2017
Brazil
Whoever plays Zenkaiser will shoulder a lot of responsibility with their role. The only face actor in a Sentai series main cast is a unprecedented first.

And they have to bounce off suit actors and anniversary guests too. Imagine they're expected to come back to reprise the role all the time too.

For sure. Probably a bigger name than what's normally picked.

That or they'll go heavy on the returning actors.

Sandfox

Oct 25, 2017

Toei better hope they find another Takeru Satoh unless Zenkaiser is played by a vet actor.

Birdie

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
You should check his social media.
He literally eats cicadas!

Like that's why Zoous always talks about eating people. I hope they have a scene when the cicada are out in the summer where Zoous just grabs one off a tree and bites it in half.

*I assume he eats specially prepared cicada of course

OP
OP
DioMuller

DioMuller

Oct 25, 2017
Brazil
Saber 15

The untransformed fights were really cool. Zoous went all out, heh. And Mei did a thing again! Even if it was a Ghost-level "believe in the protagonist" thing.

Mostly a (messy) exposition episode. Character motivations still don't make much sense, but hey, we know that there is (maybe) a traitor! Or a misunderstanding. Or something. Probably Dark Sophia.

So, now Touma has THREE swords. Or not. I'm confused. Well, at least the whole protagonist is the best and everyone loves him for almost no clear reason started earlier this time.

NeonZ

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
I mean if you think there's a traitor in your organization and blame them for something that happened to your friend, why would you trust them enough to stay?

It's kind of funny that this episode paints Touma's idealism as the correct answer only to show it failing him in the next episode preview. Although obviously his idealism will pull through in the end.

Birdie

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Yeah not gonna lie Sword of Logos seems sus.

Rintaro being basically a trained child soldier seems weird. Maybe they didn't meant for that to come off that way but...

Oct 25, 2017
I mean if you think there's a traitor in your organization and blame them for something that happened to your friend, why would you trust them enough to stay?
That's only half of the picture, if that, though.

It's more like "I can't believe my close friend would sacrifice a little girl to do something vague and nefarious. While I have no evidence at all, I think it's because of our organization, thus I'll do the same as he did but times a hundred while aiding our sworn enemies, while having the exact same goal as him, on the off chance that that makes me discover who is the puppet master."

And then it's followed by "But actually maybe I am wrong and I should have trusted people and united forces to deal with friends to deal with the situation. Now, you will have to discover the truth in my place, and since you have those ideals you might actually suceed unlike me. But also I will be ominous and say you might have to betray and kill just like me anyway because nothing in this setup makes sense."

Oct 25, 2017
Did everyone forget Sophia???
The Sword of Darkness disappeared with the same puff of smoke as she did, so whoever was responsible for that is probably the next antagonist - the obvious bet being the Souther Base folks but who knows. But yes, the characters/the show are massively desinterested in recognizing how fucking weird it is that she disappeared with no explanation while being 2 meters away from multiple people outside of Buster telling... Slash, I think, "welp she gone" and everybody else just ignoring it.

Sandfox

Oct 25, 2017
That's only half of the picture, if that, though.

It's more like "I can't believe my close friend would sacrifice a little girl to do something vague and nefarious. While I have no evidence at all, I think it's because of our organization, thus I'll do the same as he did but times a hundred while aiding our sworn enemies, while having the exact same goal as him, on the off chance that that makes me discover who is the puppet master."

And then it's followed by "But actually maybe I am wrong and I should have trusted people and united forces to deal with friends to deal with the situation. Now, you will have to discover the truth in my place, and since you have those ideals you might actually suceed unlike me. But also I will be ominous and say you might have to betray and kill just like me anyway because nothing in this setup makes sense."
I was just pointing out that Calibur wouldn't trust them after what happened 15 years ago lol.

Did everyone forget Sophia???
Who?

Calibur's sword disappeared with the same effect as she did, so there's probably going to be a connection. It's funny how nobody has addressed her being gone though. I saw a Japanese person say "Sophia disappeared like Zero One's bike"

Yeah not gonna lie Sword of Logos seems sus.

Rintaro being basically a trained child soldier seems weird. Maybe they didn't meant for that to come off that way but...
With Logos we still don't know a lot about them and we're probably going to see the more negative parts in the upcoming episodes based on where the story is going.

Oct 25, 2017
After what happened though. Again he provided no valid reason or evidence to distrust Logos other than "the only way my friend would act like that is if someone was manipulating him". A hunch. And then he proceeded to kill that friend's son fifteen years later. "To expose who turned my friend into a demon."

Sandfox

Oct 25, 2017
After what happened though. Again he provided no valid reason or evidence to distrust Logos other than "the only way my friend would act like that is if someone was manipulating him". A hunch. And then he proceeded to kill that friend's son fifteen years later. "To expose who turned my friend into a demon."
It's not supposed to be a hunch. They haven't explained anything about Logos and the relationships of the previous generation and wants him saying it to be enough information for the audience, which is how this show handles a number of plot-related things for whatever reason.

They really want him to be a contrast to Touma and it will probably happen again if Kento becomes Calibur or something and Touma is forced to fight him.

Birdie

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I think the Sword of Logos is not good plot would work better if we didn't have the Southern Base girl going around being obviously evil...and I swear she's probably Desaat.

It'd work better if we actually thought "hey maybe these swordsman we know might have be working for a suspect organization" but now there's clearly a villainous person we have to blame and there's no ambiguity elsewhere.

DragonSJG

Banned
Mar 4, 2019
Yeah so why didn't Touma use Dragonic Knight from the start and why did they wait so long to henshin?
Calibur is gone and was kinda bland but at least we know his motive?
And Sophia...yeah..she's gone and no one cares

Sandfox

Oct 25, 2017
I think the Sword of Logos is not good plot would work better if we didn't have the Southern Base girl going around being obviously evil...and I swear she's probably Desaat.

It'd work better if we actually thought "hey maybe these swordsman we know might have be working for a suspect organization" but now there's clearly a villainous person we have to blame and there's no ambiguity elsewhere.
In the preview for next week they want us to believe that North is the untrustworthy one and that Reika is trying to bring Touma to the southern side. It's obviously a red herring though and given that it's Rider we will probably get a Rider vs Rider arc only for it turn out that neither side is evil.

I wonder Zero Two suppose to be a new rider but get change due to covid?
I don't think that's the case because Zero Two is supposed to be the final form. I think that's probably the case for a certain form that came later though.

The Hobo

Oct 27, 2017
No one has time for Sophia, not when Kento, apparently the most important person in everyones lives, is dead.

chaobreaker

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
No one has time for Sophia, not when Kento, apparently the most important person in everyones lives, is dead.

1034182.jpg

Oct 25, 2017
They haven't explained anything about Logos and the relationships of the previous generation and wants him saying it to be enough information for the audience, which is how this show handles a number of plot-related things for whatever reason.
Yes, because Saber doesn't treat its world or characters as real things that should be established and developed so the audience understands and cares for them, it treats them as objects that have to go from point A to point B so a "story" (more like "things") can happen, and expects the viewers to be invested out of the kindness of their hearts.

It's a very badly written show.

NeonZ

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
The way the show is written, the world for the swordsmen is pretty much just Logos. There's nothing plot-relevant outside of it. So, if he was corrupted, it must have been by someone from there. Calibur sending Kento to that eternal darkness dimension in hindsight does feel odd though.

jwk94

Oct 25, 2017
Zenkaigers' story begins with a pair of scientists that discovered parallel worlds & could concentrate the powers of these worlds into small devices called Gears. In the process they discovered a world of mechanical lifeforms known as Kikanoids– normally a peaceful people but now their world has been conquered by the Evil Dynasty Tojitendo that seeks to eliminate all other worlds.

The scientists' son, a young man named Kaito (described as an adventurous friendly man with no sense of personal space) takes up the power of the Gears with another device- the GearTlinger to transform into a new Super Sentai hero- ZenKaiser!

Four of the Kikanoids are able to join Kaito-

*Zyuran– the senior member of the team, who thinks he is calm and relaxed but is in practice a stubborn old man. With the power of the Gears he takes on the combat form ZenkaiZyuran!
*Gaon– a peaceful airhead with a love of cooking, who becomes ZenkaiGaon for fights.
*Vroom– the educated team member with a love for schooling; his battle form is ZenkaiVroom.
*Magine– a shy otaku obsessed with the occult who can transform into ZenkaiMagine when needed.

The Zenkaigers will be aided in their missions by Secchan– a strange talking mechanical bird created by Kaito's parents.

In addition to changing between humanoid-robo and Zenkaiger forms, the Kikanoids are also able to transform into Mechas! The artwork gives us some ideas of the combinations- a type of SYMMETRICAL DOCKING where one Zenkai Robo forms half the combination.

I'm loving these mech designs.

modoversus

Oct 25, 2017
México
Seriously considering skipping Saber.

Yes, because Saber doesn't treat its world or characters as real things that should be established and developed so the audience understands and cares for them, it treats them as objects that have to go from point A to point B so a "story" (more like "things") can happen, and expects the viewers to be invested out of the kindness of their hearts.

It's a very badly written show.

That is a very precise description of what is wrong with Saber.

There is a lot of characters screaming about feelings and goals, but all is empty. They really feel like just items on a checklist.

Also, the action sequences are sooo long and go nowhere...

Last edited:

NeonZ

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
news.yahoo.co.jp

<東映>特撮映画の2021年ラインアップを発表 冬公開の「劇場版 仮面ライダー(仮)」は50周年プロジェクトに(MANTANWEB) - Yahoo!ニュース

東映が12月22日、東京都内で2021年のラインアップ発表会を開催。特撮映画として、「スーパー戦隊MOVIEレンジャー」を同年2月20日、「劇場版 仮面ライダーセイバー(仮)」「機界戦隊ゼンカイジ

Toei announced their movie slate for next year. Kamen Rider Saber and Zenkaiger are confirmed to have summer movies in the usual spot, in spite of the schedule change this year. Interestingly though, the winter Rider movie is just "Kamen Rider The Movie (Tentative title)" (not committing to it being a Saber movie, a Reiwa 1st Generation follow up or anything, just "Kamen Rider" for now).

They did announce that there will be a large scale project next year to commemorate the 50th anniversary of the Kamen Rider franchise, but they're aren't confirming whether Saber will be involved with it at all, and there will be no Spring movie unlike during OOO's and Ghost's runs. It seems like the big anniversary productions are all being left for the next Rider series.

Last edited:

jwk94

Oct 25, 2017
news.yahoo.co.jp

<東映>特撮映画の2021年ラインアップを発表 冬公開の「劇場版 仮面ライダー(仮)」は50周年プロジェクトに(MANTANWEB) - Yahoo!ニュース

東映が12月22日、東京都内で2021年のラインアップ発表会を開催。特撮映画として、「スーパー戦隊MOVIEレンジャー」を同年2月20日、「劇場版 仮面ライダーセイバー(仮)」「機界戦隊ゼンカイジ

Toei announced their movie slate for next year. Kamen Rider Saber and Zenkaiger are confirmed to have summer movies in the usual spot, in spite of the schedule change this year. Interestingly though, the winter Rider movie is just "Kamen Rider The Movie (Tentative title)" (not committing to it being a Saber movie, a Reiwa 1st Generation follow up or anything, just "Kamen Rider" for now).

They did announce that there will be a large scale project next year to commemorate the 50th anniversary of the Kamen Rider franchise, but they're aren't confirming whether Saber will be involved with it at all, and it seems confirmed at this point that there will be no Spring movie unlike during OOO's and Ghost's runs, so it seems like the big anniversary productions are all being left for the next Rider series.
I wonder if they'll finally convince Joe Odagiri to come back.

GalaxyDive

Oct 25, 2017
Okay so the other members have lighter suits for regular gymnastic ground fights

Wellllll maybe. We may see some of that but the lighter suits seem like they're being presented as "civilian" forms. The bulkier suits do look like their standard transformed "hero" forms to fight alongside Zenkaiser. They then probably switch to the alt mode when they grow big and then gattai with each other. We may not even really see the individual bulkier robot mode suits at all when they're giant-sized.

Birdie

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Well based on upcoming episode summaries it does seem Saber might be addressing the complaints that it feels disconnected from the rest of the world...

Touma and Saikou chilling around town, we meet Mei's boss at the publishing company, and we're now into the "humans turning into monsters" part of the show

The Hobo

Oct 27, 2017
The relationships in Saber are shallow. Touma talked about how the rest of the Swordsmen were his friends, but it just came across as an empty platitude because they're little more than colleagues. The show hasn't actually built them up as friends because the pacing has been so fast that they're jumping from one fight to another, and when they're not fighting, they're focused on their work as swordsmen. There's no downtime for these characters to properly bond.