• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 25, 2017
Toei is slowly slowly figuring it out. They're streaming the Gaim movie in the US right now at least.
But yeah, Tsuburaya is utterly stomping them in marketing outside of Japan.

ValKiryuSonicEX

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Toei really is dropping the ball on what could be a golden opportunity for them internationally after the duds that were Masked Rider and Dragon Knight, especially the latter one. You know there is a market if you just fucking push the damn product more than just these (questionable) bits.

Vareon

Oct 25, 2017
Legit teared up on Ultraman Z finale's transformation scene. I'd chant your goddamn name everywhere, sir.

The series managed to deliver what many modern superheroes didn't, or deliberately avoided to do in the name of "deconstruction". It is ultimately about good people trying to to good, often putting themselves before others. There are no complicated motives behind its villains and heroes, no convoluted plot behind its conflicts. The heroes are a bunch of people trying to protect Earth from what is simply forces of nature. Some are science nuts who keep trying to learn something new, some are people who believed fighting is what they do best.

Does it have flaws? Sure it does. Do I care? Nah, never to a point where it took me out from the series. I'm going to miss these guys so much.

chaobreaker

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I saw spoilers for the Zero One movie and hoo boy they're going all the way with the violent content.

SageShinigami

Oct 27, 2017
I like it and for the first time in a long time I'm looking forward to a sentai.

What is it about these four robots though? I feel like they bring these specific ones back, it's the exact line up from Go-Buster vs Gokaiger. Were they the highest selling or something?

JoCN8XG.png

I can't complain. 3 of these 5 are three of my favorite mecha of all time.

OP
OP
DioMuller

DioMuller

Oct 25, 2017
Brazil
I like it and for the first time in a long time I'm looking forward to a sentai.

What is it about these four robots though? I feel like they bring these specific ones back, it's the exact line up from Go-Buster vs Gokaiger. Were they the highest selling or something?

JoCN8XG.png

I hope you're onto something, because if so, we'll get a Showa as hell FLASH KING member.

Birdie

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
We always see the Ranger suits long before we see the human actors with Super Sentai reveals so I wouldn't count out humans just yet.

Oct 25, 2017
Ultraman Z finale
What a show, what a ride. Probably the strongest finale in toku for the last two years or so? Last episode doesn't have a fight as bombastic as some of the others mid way through the show, and yet it doesn't matter because basically everything you want (and some stuff you didn't know you wanted - Celebro's fate lol) are there, the super Zestium beam is the exact sort of dumb awesome crap those shows should excel at and the entire staff is giving their all. Cast, special effects, direction, etc

STORAGE might be my favorite crew since the Kamen Rider Club. Sevenger forever.

Birdie

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
My lightning round off the top of my head dad-o-meter for Rider, Heisei and on...

Kuuga: no dads I can remember.

Agito: Mana's dad the psychic professor.

Ryuki: everyone is an adult so no dads---interestingly I don't think Shinji is an orphan like most Riders, he just lives on his own and his parents are presumed alive.

Faiz: plot point that everyone is an orphan basically, I think a dad dies at the beginning but that's it.

Blade: everyone an orphan again.

Hibiki: Tachibana, now in dad form! But most of the Oni act as surrogate dads and I think one becomes a soon to be father at the end?

Kabuto: been awhile but Kagami's dad played a role right? Was he a secret villain or something? I don't remember shit about the plot of Kabuto just all the cool/stupid stuff.

Den-O: plot twist future dad at the end.

Kiva: a whole half of the show dedicated to a dad, but not a dad when we see him. Also I think one of the Kibat was a dad to the current one, but maybe they're just newer models.

Decade: don't recall any major dads, or AR dads.

W: surrogate father figure in Skull, actual dad character is a main villain.

OOO: Eiji's dad is a war criminal I recall. Also that one filler about a dad who becomes a vigilante that's fairly memorable to me.

Fourze: more dead dads, I think atleast two? One vital to plot, the other just the usual dad died so Rider is an orphan. Um...the jock I think had a typical jock dad too? I don't remember any other parents of the school age children ever appearing. This series should've had more dads involved logically.

Wizard: main villain is a dad or something because reasons.

Gaim: dads are now V-Cinema exclusive. Evil dad from W is now another evil dad, and we get too-hot-for TV Baron dad doing domestic violence.

Drive: iDad. Everyone made that pun. Also dead cop dad.

Ghost: DAD OVERDRIVE. Takeru has a dad, Makoto has three beautiful dads, though one is also Takeru's, and then Alain dad. Some of the historical figures are also dads as well.

Ex-Aid: epic comedy relief dad runs the hospital, and then an evil dad. Also movie exclusive anti-hero dad.

Build: gentoku dad, whose death drives Gentoku insane I guess because he becomes silly. Also Sento's dad, a dumb plot point to advertise the movie. And main villain is also a dad sorta, to two characters simultaneously.

Zi-O: all died in a bus crash.

Zero-One: android model: dad. Abusive Thouser dad. But we get a refreshingly normal dad in one of the main character's case.

Saber: yo we got Calibur dad, we got Buster dad, we got the old water swordsman who was probably Rintaro's surrogate dad, hell, the original Saber is probably gonna end up being Touma's dad. The movie villain? Probably also a dad. The Ghost writer just loves dads.

NeonZ

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
Kabuto: been awhile but Kagami's dad played a role right? Was he a secret villain or something? I don't remember shit about the plot of Kabuto just all the cool/stupid stuff.
Riku Kagami was the police chief and also secretly Zect's boss. He knew about the Native conspiracy, but was actually working behind the scenes to undermine it from inside.

jwk94

Oct 25, 2017
My lightning round off the top of my head dad-o-meter for Rider, Heisei and on...

Kuuga: no dads I can remember.

Agito: Mana's dad the psychic professor.

Ryuki: everyone is an adult so no dads---interestingly I don't think Shinji is an orphan like most Riders, he just lives on his own and his parents are presumed alive.

Faiz: plot point that everyone is an orphan basically, I think a dad dies at the beginning but that's it.

Blade: everyone an orphan again.

Hibiki: Tachibana, now in dad form! But most of the Oni act as surrogate dads and I think one becomes a soon to be father at the end?

Den-O: plot twist future dad at the end.

Kiva: a whole half of the show dedicated to a dad, but not a dad when we see him. Also I think one of the Kibat was a dad to the current one, but maybe they're just newer models.

Decade: don't recall any major dads, or AR dads.

W: surrogate father figure in Skull, actual dad character is a main villain.

OOO: Eiji's dad is a war criminal I recall. Also that one filler about a dad who becomes a vigilante that's fairly memorable to me.

Fourze: more dead dads, I think atleast two? One vital to plot, the other just the usual dad died so Rider is an orphan. Um...the jock I think had a typical jock dad too? I don't remember any other parents of the school age children ever appearing. This series should've had more dads involved logically.

Wizard: main villain is a dad or something because reasons.

Gaim: dads are now V-Cinema exclusive. Evil dad from W is now another evil dad, and we get too-hot-for TV Baron dad doing domestic violence.

Drive: iDad. Everyone made that pun. Also dead cop dad.

Ghost: DAD OVERDRIVE. Takeru has a dad, Makoto has three beautiful dads, though one is also Takeru's, and then Alain dad. Some of the historical figures are also dads as well.

Ex-Aid: epic comedy relief dad runs the hospital, and then an evil dad. Also movie exclusive anti-hero dad.

Build: gentoku dad, whose death drives Gentoku insane I guess because he becomes silly. Also Sento's dad, a dumb plot point to advertise the movie. And main villain is also a dad sorta, to two characters simultaneously.

Zi-O: all died in a bus crash.

Zero-One: android model: dad. Abusive Thouser dad. But we get a refreshingly normal dad in one of the main character's case.

Saber: yo we got Calibur dad, we got Buster dad, we got the old water swordsman who was probably Rintaro's surrogate dad, hell, the original Saber is probably gonna end up being Touma's dad. The movie villain? Probably also a dad. The Ghost writer just loves dads.
I love this post so much

Harpoon

Oct 27, 2017
Ultraman Z 25

Pretty great finale! Was cool how the mechs all got one last moment to shine,
and even Beliarok got a heroic sacrifice at the end... even if he came back soon after, haha.
This was the first traditional Ultraman series I'd watched from beginning to end, and it was an awesome and heartwarming experience all-in-all. The whole STORAGE crew was loveable throughout, and I'm really going to miss seeing them every week. I liked pretty much all of the transformations, although crazy shrinking magician Gamma Future remained my favourite after it was introduced. The kaiju were almost all mostly pretty well-done, with Barossa as my absolute favourite; when will his other 9997 siblings get their revenge?!

There's some other Ultraman shows I'd like to go check out now, like X, Orb (need more Juggler in my life), and Geed. But for one last time... I ask that you chant my name! ULTRAMAN Z!

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
Ichiban from Yakuza 7 would make a hell of a red ranger or rider

MHWilliams

Oct 25, 2017
Remember, the whole lynchpin of Faiz was Smart Brain dad, who wasn't really a character, but like Zero-One's grandpa, everything sprung from his off-screen actions!

NeonZ

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
They're two separate specials too, Zi-O vs Decade - The Seven Zi-O(s?), and Decade vs Zi-O Decade House's Death Game. They're written by Toshiki Inoue... the director is Satoshi Morota, who is pretty mediocre (Ghost's main director, tons of episodes for other Rider series).

Last edited:

Birdie

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I totally forgot what Smart Brain's goal was, something something make device to kill Orphenoch while also propping then up as humanity's next evolution?

Oct 25, 2017
They're two separate specials too, Zi-O vs Decade - The Seven Zi-O(s?), and Decade vs Zi-O Decade House's Death Game. They're written by Toshiki Inoue... the director is Satoshi Morota, who is pretty mediocre (Ghost's main director, tons of episodes for other Rider series).
But are there any jesters in either? Still creeped out by that teaser lol

Birdie

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Saber spoilers...

the movie stinger shows southern base will be the next antagonist

And the hooded dude hanging out with Tassel is a Rider, apparently named Saikou?

Vareon

Oct 25, 2017
Saber's 1st arc very definitely ended this week. If the show is going to get any better next week has to be the starting point.

People getting stabbed in the back and dead DEAD is a thing now, eep.

Also to add to Birdie's excellent post, the Kamen Rider Saber we deserve:

TR7X48F.jpg

NeonZ

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
www.tv-asahi.co.jp

機界戦隊ゼンカイジャー|テレビ朝日

テレビ朝日「機界戦隊ゼンカイジャー」公式サイト

Official site for Zenkaiger is up. Main Producer is Shinichiro Shirakura (Agito, Ryuki, Faiz, Kabuto, Den-O, Decade, Zi-O), Naomi Takebe (Kiva, Go-Busters, Gaim, Ninninger) as secondary producer, writer is Junko Komura (Zyuohger, Lupinranger vs Patranger), Pilot director is Shojiro Nakazawa (pilot director of Gekiranger, Shinkenger, Ninninger).

1 Human and 4 robots. The Zenkaiger fight against the evil enemies that are trying to destroy all parallel Sentai worlds. When the evil's hands creep into Zenkaiser's world, he rises with a heart of justice to fight against them. The robots fight in the ground battles and also become giants for the giant battles. The heroes use the power of the previous Super Sentai through the "Sentai Gears" and the "Geartlinger", which is used for transformations and attacks.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
www.toei.co.jp

機界戦隊ゼンカイジャー

東映オフィシャルサイト 機界戦隊ゼンカイジャーのページ。2021年3月7日~2022年2月27日放送<br> 放送は終了しました。ご視聴ありがとうございました。。
Producers: Chihiro Inoue (TV Asahi), Shinichiro Shirakura (Toei), Naomi Takebe (Toei), Koichi Yada (Toei Agency), Akihiro Fukuda (Toei Agency)
Series Composition: Junko Komura
Pilot Director: Shojiro Nakazawa
Action Director: Hirofumi Fukuzawa
SFX Director: Hiroshi Butsuda

Komura is the main writer:
powerrangers.fandom.com

Junko Komura

Junko Kōmura (香村 純子, Kōmura Junko) is a writer who has worked on several Super Sentai series, specifically Engine Sentai Go-Onger, Tensou Sentai Goseiger, and Kaizoku Sentai Gokaiger and the unofficial series, Hikonin Sentai Akibaranger. She is the main writer for Doubutsu Sentai Zyuohger...
She was the main writer in LuPat and Zyuoh, also BIMA-X and some Drive/Wizard specials/movies

Fukuzawa is the action director of pretty much everything recent:
powerrangers.fandom.com

Hirofumi Fukuzawa

Hirofumi Fukuzawa (福沢 博文, Fukuzawa Hirofumi) is a Japanese suit actor and action director. He is an affiliate of Red Entertainment Deliver and a former affiliate of Japan Action Enterprise. He is most known for his work in the Super Sentai & Power Rangers series as a suit actor. He is the...
GoBus, Kyoryu, ToQ, Ninnin, Zyuoh, Kyu, LuPat and Ryusoul

Butsuda was the SFX director in Zyuoh
powerrangers.fandom.com

Hiroshi Butsuda

Hiroshi Butsuda (佛田 洋, Butsuda Hiroshi) is a director who worked on the Super Sentai Series. Ninja Sentai Kakuranger Ep. 33: The Village of Amanojaku Ep. 34: The Bride's Sandy Hell!! Chouriki Sentai Ohranger Ep. 15: O Friend!! Sleep Hotly!! Ep. 16: Naughty!! The Future Child Kyukyu Sentai...

Pilot director did a lot of cool stuff:
kamenrider.fandom.com

Shojiro Nakazawa

Shojiro Nakazawa (中澤祥次郎, Nakazawa Shōjiro) was the head director on Kamen Rider Wizard and Kamen Rider Ex-Aid. This is the first time that the Super Sentai veteran director has worked on the Kamen Rider Series. Kamen Rider Kiva - 4 episodes (2008-2009) Episode 25: Fanfare: The Queen's Awakening...
powerrangers.fandom.com

Shojiro Nakazawa

Shojiro Nakazawa (中澤祥次郎, Nakazawa Shōjirō) is a director of the Super Sentai franchise He celebrated his 42nd birthday while directing ToQger's first episode. Mirai Sentai Timeranger (1 episode) Hyakujuu Sentai Gaoranger (1 episode) Ninpuu Sentai Hurricaneger (2 episodes) Bakuryuu Sentai...

Birdie

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
The next Rider I can't tell what he'll be based on his belt, I'm thinking another animal...I'd say lion or eagle but we already got that. Love if it's a starfish just because that's pretty unusual.

Also saw a set pic of a gray/blackish Rider, apparently people are saying a hammerhead shark one?