• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Jakten

Oct 25, 2017
Devil World, Toronto
Hmm, so it's Changerion with a Big One kamen rider.

Your image link seems to have gone down so here is another:

o5m9nriufx561.png

Oct 25, 2017
Wow at Zenkaiger. That is really different from the norm.
Definitely an interesting experiment. Makes me wonder if they're going to double down on robots.

Harpoon

Oct 27, 2017
Okay, yeah, this has my interest.

Funny I just watched Den-O this year, since this is very much reminding of the Taros. Hope I enjoy it as much!

KingWillance

Oct 25, 2017
I'm happy to give Zenkaiger a shot, the 'toys' episode of Kira demonstrated the mechs can be really expressive. If the robots don't have human forms I hope it means we get some good VAs.

chaobreaker

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I'm hyped.

I can see them adding more robots down the line if there's really no face actors behind them.

Oct 25, 2017
I like it and for the first time in a long time I'm looking forward to a sentai.

What is it about these four robots though? I feel like they bring these specific ones back, it's the exact line up from Go-Buster vs Gokaiger. Were they the highest selling or something?

JoCN8XG.png

Last edited:

Birdie

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I'm guessing they're not gonna perform the usual Sentai gymnastics in those suits unless they want their bodies crushed.

Orayn

Oct 25, 2017
Hype as hell for MetsuboJinrai V-Cinema. Also, does anyone know when we're expecting the other Zero-One blu-rays and the rest of Project Thouser?

Also, are those the actual-actual suits for Zenkaiger? Like at human size? Pretty bold move if so.

Oct 25, 2017
What is it about these four robots though? I feel like they bring these specific ones back, it's the exact line up from Go-Buster vs Gokaiger. Were they the highest selling or something?
I am trying to find some info on this. Apparently it's a mix of best selling sentai/mechs and different themes (vehicles/animals/dinos/etc)? At least seems to be the case for Daizyujin and GaoKing.

Looking a bit more into it with conspiracy googles, it's somewhat similar set of shows for the mechs that became part of Gokaiger's mech? Magiranger/MagiDragon, Dekaranger/Patstriker, Gaoranger/GaoLion, Megaranger/Mega Winger, Go-Onger/Mechalcon, Hurricanger/Furaimaru, Gorenger/Variblune plus that one Shinkenger sword.
The addendums being that Zyuranger got into Gokaiger via Silver's mech, and Zenkaiser is clearly inspired by Gorenger (if the lead has a jet then the comparison to GokaiOh works even better).

The odd one out then is Go-onger/Dekaranger instead of Boukenger for a vehicle/military one, and the lack of a ninja/samurai for Hurricanger/Shinkenger, which might be the motif for the sixth member?

If they have no human form, I wonder if this is another covid related, or cost-reducing related move.
I am not sure if it's COVID related since you still have 1 person per suit for each scene (plus I imagine suits like the blue one require at least one extra person to help putting on and removing the suit!).

Also, are those the actual-actual suits for Zenkaiger? Like at human size? Pretty bold move if so.
Yeah, they are supposed to grow giant when it's needed (or for combining).

modoversus

Oct 25, 2017
México
What I mean is that, if the characters don't have a human form, that means you have one maskless actor, with 4 masked actors on set. Don't know if this makes things easier or better regarding restrictions.

Oct 25, 2017
Oh 🤔
yeah, no idea

On a tangential note, this confirms that set picture from the other week was indeed for this show think? Pink kinda fits, missing the capes and the full helmet (but maybe the gloves are on the wrong color?)
003AadS.jpg

Orayn

Oct 25, 2017
It's going to be so weird if they don't have human forms, has there ever been another Sentai series like Den-O where most of the main cast is always in a suit?

GalaxyDive

Oct 25, 2017
I like it and for the first time in a long time I'm looking forward to a sentai.

JoCN8XG.png
Highest selling? Not exactly. Aside from GaoKing (I think Gaoranger may still stand as the second highest selling Heisei-onward series after Ohranger). But Gaoranger seems to have some enduring popularity and GaoKing is probably the most significant modern Sentai mecha in that it introduced the concept of aux mecha that has been a pillar of 90% of the series/mecha since. The others... well, Magi and Bouken sold pretty well, but were declines off Deka. Zyuranger actually did sell really damn well, but it was from before a time that the franchise really used toy sales as that much of a metric, it wasn't until ratings were in full decline a few years later that they started pushing more and more toys.

It's likely much more of a coincidence than it appears. DaiBouken was the previous anniversary mecha; GaoKing was a transformation for a lion robo; MagiKing was so they could make a Magiranger joke with Matsumoto/Jin; Daizyujin because of GoZyujin (and possibly looking ahead to the next series being dinosaur-themed, because they had the budget here to remake a couple suits and went with DaiZyujin, RyuuseiOh, and Flash King). Much like GekiTohja was included here because of all its similarities to Ace.

So in Zenkaiger terms, Daizyujin again as the elder statesman because they can't help but have a third straight series with a T-Rex. Similarly if you're doing an anniversary series like this, you're gonna have a lion, and GaoKing basically remains the go-to there. Likewise you gotta do a vehicle, and then Toei considers dragons really popular (despite not doing many actual dragon mecha). So MagiKing getting the dragon nod much like it did with Gokaiger's toyline; DaiBouken probably because they wanted a heavy vehicle (It's also worth referencing Shurikenjin's total hodgepodge of "let's throw together a bunch of things we think are popular!!" including both a dragon and a dump truck).

And on that note, the perspective of the choices probably should be accounted for, too. They're choosing things they think will be popular at a base level (T-Rex, Lion, Dragon, Dump Truck), the heavy referencing to old Sentai through them has little to do with the target demographic that will be driving toy sales. That's just part of the anniversary hook; the specific choices are ones that fall in line and anything beyond that may be for reasons such as what they feel may be popular with older fans and how a series performed 10-25 years ago doesn't always line up (as a very loose example, they've done Super MiniPla kits of mecha from five of the 90s series - yet thus far have skipped both Ohranger and Gingaman, the undisputed toy sales and ratings kings of the decade).

What I mean is that, if the characters don't have a human form, that means you have one maskless actor, with 4 masked actors on set. Don't know if this makes things easier or better regarding restrictions.

It is entirely possible, though not necessarily just for that exactly. You have the same four suit actors playing them all the time, instead of 8 actors between face and suit. That cuts down on the number of people you have present and having social contact with one another, even if it doesn't cut down on the number of people actually on-screen.

Somebody may point out that Saber has a very large cast for a Rider. Which is does. However, as some have pointed out previously;
1. There is a ton of green-screen being used, and all the people on the same green screen shot in instances may not be shooting together with the others in the same scene.
2. The series has been pretty much exclusively only between the core cast. Basically no guest actor of the week etc.

So Zenkaiger going in the other direction may be to allow it to be a bit more "normal" in other ways.

Orayn

Oct 25, 2017
One has to wonder if/when Sentai or Kamen Rider will do the Ultraman companion series thing and have a show that's mostly or exclusively greenscreen/virtual set based. I thought that's what Saber was going to be based on the first couple episodes.

Maybe they'd flex their creative muscles a bit and do a brand new IP like that.

Oct 25, 2017
It's going to be so weird if they don't have human forms, has there ever been another Sentai series like Den-O where most of the main cast is always in a suit?
Nah, that was always metal heroes/other toku shows thing. Den-O was a notable exception.

A bunch of suited up people running around isn't uncommon per se (Gekiranger with the masters, Shinkenger with the kurokos, etc), but not as regulars/majority.

(I think Gaoranger may still stand as the second highest selling Heisei-onward series after Ohranger)
NeonZ posted numbers couple pages back: https://www.resetera.com/goto/post?id=54238246

GalaxyDive

Oct 25, 2017
Oh huh lol, guess I wasn't fully awake yet since I knew Kyoryu, Gokai etc sold great. But directly relevant to Gao's era, I completely forgot that Hurri and Aba improved on it.

But yeah, so there's something to sit on. If they were doing the t-rex based solely on flogging what did the best, then it would be Gabutyra. But Daizyujin fits a lot better against the design they're using, and as much as they've tried to make Kyoryuger happen again, the series itself is basically now older than Sentai's target audience so there's really nothing directly to be gained.

Oct 25, 2017
It's also possible they are just not using any post Gokai shows as motifs for base forms and use them as power ups. Since it's an anniversary season I can't see Kyoryuger being left out given how big it was.

GalaxyDive

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah. And really, the tl;dr of the four mecha they're using is, more than anything, they are blanket representations of some of the mecha (component) elements that Toei and Bandai consider the most popular.

Birdie

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Yeah I've been wondering if wearing the suits decreases the chance of spreading the virus?

On the other hand it seems like they're probably like germ sponges and I imagine a bunch of crewmen handle the parts of the suits.

GalaxyDive

Oct 25, 2017
I mean, not that I really doubt it at this point with the focus on the robots in a way that also lines up with the Metal Heroes-y stuff he's talked about wanting to do.

Bio Booster Armoire

Prophet of Truth
Apr 21, 2020
Planning to squeeze in another Rider series over the holidays - stuck trying to choose between Den-O, Kabuto and Zero One.

Leaning towards Den-O, but I'm open to suggestions.

NeonZ

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017

Daizyujin basically marked a whole new era for Sentai mecha design. It's a big break from everything that came before with the clear animal motif visible in the components and combined mecha, and not just by decals.

Gaoking sold so well they actually continued advertising its line during Hurricanger and made its mecha compatible with Gao's. It was a huge jump in sales from previous series. Magiranger didn't actually do that well, but still did fine and I guess there's just nothing comparable as far as its "legendary/magic creatures" motif goes.

For Boukenger...
The odd one out then is Go-onger/Dekaranger instead of Boukenger for a vehicle/military one, and the lack of a ninja/samurai for Hurricanger/Shinkenger, which might be the motif for the sixth member?

As far as the DaiBouken goes, I'd guess it's because it's pretty close to a pure vehicle motif. Series like Dekaranger and Go-Onger carry with them other big traits like police and vehicle/animal hybrids, and I guess they wanted a pure vehicle motif there (and Boukenger beats Carranger and other late 90s Sentai that could compete for that spot).

Oh huh lol, guess I wasn't fully awake yet since I knew Kyoryu, Gokai etc sold great. But directly relevant to Gao's era, I completely forgot that Hurri and Aba improved on it.

But yeah, so there's something to sit on. If they were doing the t-rex based solely on flogging what did the best, then it would be Gabutyra. But Daizyujin fits a lot better against the design they're using, and as much as they've tried to make Kyoryuger happen again, the series itself is basically now older than Sentai's target audience so there's really nothing directly to be gained.

Gao vs Hurri might be somewhat misleading. Keep in mind that Gaoranger came from much lower numbers in the previous years, so stores wouldn't order that much in the first place. They were still producing Gaoranger's Power Animals and advertising their compatibility with Hurricanger's during its run. So, part of the numbers for Hurricanger are actually just more Gao.

I mean, not that I really doubt it at this point with the focus on the robots in a way that also lines up with the Metal Heroes-y stuff he's talked about wanting to do.

It's rumored to be him. But, yes, not confirmed yet. There's also his recent talk in that History of Super Sentai presentation, where he highlighted the robots as Sentai's selling point (and how it originally took a timeslot that had been used for robot anime) and also highlighted how the series are all separate and unrelated and there's no point in focusing on similarities between them, which would line up with taking it in a very different direction.

Last edited:

GalaxyDive

Oct 25, 2017
Gao vs Hurri might be somewhat misleading. Keep in mind that Gaoranger came from much lower numbers in the previous years, so stores wouldn't order that much in the first place. They were still producing Gaoranger's Power Animals and advertising their compatibility with Hurricanger's during its run. So, part of the numbers for Hurricanger are actually just more Gao.
Ahh, makes sense (Much like Go-Busters' toyline was probably worse than reported since they were still hocking Ranger Keys).

And yeah, while Daizyujin obviously occupies a big mindshare in the western fandom, it is effectively the revolutionary standard-bearer for animal mecha (and honestly mecha designs on the whole, it was effectively the end of box robots and helped to usher in more unique/articulated components in general)

Birdie

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Gaoranger is one of the few Sentai I've watched through all the way...and probably the least memorable.

It was the first one with a ton of toys right? Up to then it was usually the main team and a few additional in terms of mecha.

NeonZ

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
Gaoranger is one of the few Sentai I've watched through all the way...and probably the least memorable.

It was the first one with a ton of toys right? Up to then it was usually the main team and a few additional in terms of mecha.
Yes, it added the concept of various optional limbs for the mecha rather than just a couple of specific combinations. Previously, it was combiner 1, combiner 2 and then either a carrier or extras which were completely separate from the other mecha.

GalaxyDive

Oct 25, 2017

I've dropped Gaoranger twice and only made it about halfway through. Silver's arc was fairly interesting but otherwise I was finding the series really cut and dry.

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
Gaoranger is one of those series where I don't get the villains.

Birdie

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
They're ogres based on face parts?

And there's also a kind of Jessie and James duo too.

But yeah there's nothing really going on in that series other than seeing a bunch of animal robots and NEVER GIVE UP is the catchphrase of the shark guy I think?

OP
OP
DioMuller

DioMuller

Oct 25, 2017
Brazil
Ultraman Z - 25

Now that's how you finish a series. The only thing I didn't get here is Juggler meeting Gai once again. So many moments, pretty much everything was a highlight. The effects were top notch, and that transformation sequence was perfect. We had some nice surprises, some sweet moments, and even some heroic sacrifices. Great ending.

Ultraman Z

Z is almost flawless, and up there with Orb as must watch Ultra, for sure. Every complain I have is really just something I'd like to see more, and in the end I think the series worked really well without it.

Heck, even having a simplistic, kinda weak villain for most of the series paid off, in the end. Cerebro wasn't a good villain at all the whole series, but worked really well for the finale. And Juggler more than compensated for Cerebro's weaknesses.

Great series, great characters. I will miss STORAGE, and this has a good chance to become my favorite Ultra series, after the dust settles.