• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
if you miss Ryukendo, Saber got you with today's ep

The zero one movie looks hype as fuck

OP
OP
DioMuller

DioMuller

Oct 25, 2017
Brazil
Ultraman Z 24

Holy hell, that ending. Next week is the finale, Z is not playing around. Even Cerebro, that was a weak-ass villain for most of the series, did a great job here.

Oct 25, 2017
unknown.png

Vareon

Oct 25, 2017
Touma got beaten up before getting his midseason upgrade while Rintaro is just there downloading his lol. Dragonic Knight and King Lion Daisenki looks really cool though.

Saber has been like 10% story and 90% battle for few episodes now. It's fun to see but wow this series has a lot of action. The world looked like it was about to end but very little attention is paid to the actual people living there.

OP
OP
DioMuller

DioMuller

Oct 25, 2017
Brazil
Kiramai 35

This was one of the sillier episodes, and yet, so good.

Everything works just so well. Sena running like the Roadrunner, Mabusheena's adventures, Yodonna discovering Ice cream... And then, that GOLF Ball Finisher, with a Gorangers-style Delayed explosion. Just perfect.

Next episode also feels like it'll be incredible!

Oct 25, 2017
Saber 14

ps.: the action director of this show is working completely drunk, which leads us to...

Kiramager 35
NICE

oh my god tame teaching shiguru how to floss

Bio Booster Armoire

Prophet of Truth
Apr 21, 2020
Just finished Build - overall I loved it, especially the first 35-odd eps. Those first two arcs are amazing - the characters, the relentless pacing, plots twists, drama and intrigue. Particularly enjoyed how the show was unafraid to explore larger themes - the darker side of technology and the consequences of violence - while still maintaning a high quotient of monster-mashing silliness.

Sadly, that momentum crashes when the 'but it was aliens' twist (as telegraphed as it is) and lost bottle stuff come into play. The show's internal logic falls apart and the story just fizzled out for me. Thankfully, the character moments hit hard and the final few episodes still satisfy on an emotional level.

I do wonder why the storytelling took such a nosedive during the final arc - were there production problems? Did the writer/writers just get burnt out?

Anyway, I'd rank the series I've watched so far: Kuuga>W>Build>OOO>Agito=Ryuki>>Blade>>>>>555/Faiz

Oct 25, 2017
I don't remember any production problems, I think that it just suffered a bit from the Ex Aid issue of having to fill more episodes than the story had in it (but I also disagree the storytelling took a nosedive even if it faltered a bit hehe).

One thing that did got in the way was the fact that Vernage was supposed to have a much bigger role, but the VA got sick and they more or less just cut her (...and Misora) out.

Similarly, Katsuragi's mom had cervical cancer in 2012, and during Build had a reoccurrence that hit her pretty hard on the lungs and lymphic nodes, not allowing for her planned return. I am not sure the whole parents plot was to be more explored on the middle or at the end of the show, but it didn't pan out because of that as well.

(worth mentioning that she beat the darn cancer last year, finally)

NeonZ

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
I do wonder why the storytelling took such a nosedive during the final arc - were there production problems? Did the writer/writers just get burnt out?
The actress that played Sento's mother was sick by then, and so was Vernage's VA. Sento's mother was completely written out, in spite of the plot now dealing with his father, while Vernage had her role reduced since her VA was still working, but doing less recordings at the time.

I think some of the issues would always be there and were unrelated to that though. The show goes through an odd reverse escalation at that point too (several episodes with Evolt threatening to blow up the planet, then he just decides to hang out on his hq for a while before doing anything again).

Bio Booster Armoire

Prophet of Truth
Apr 21, 2020
Nosedive is a little harsh, admittedly, but those first two arcs are so well executed that the drop in quality is that much harder to ignore, for me. Had they wrapped things up 7-8 eps earlier (and scrapped that hideous tank/tank form), this would be my favourite rider show, no question.

Evolt threatening to blow up the planet, then he just decides to hang out on his hq for a while before doing anything again).

This. Stalk's machinations were the highlight of the show, so when he finally got his hands on the bottles and went full Evolt I thought things would kick into an even higher gear. Instead he just mwahahahas and gets jobbed for a while. His final form was pretty swish tho - serious Guyver vibes.

Oct 25, 2017
Not to make light of Nobe's death, but he didn't die on set. His accident wasn't even while filming Build. It was on a rehearsal/training camp from JAE, he was immediately transported to an hospital via ambulance and passed there.

PhoenixAKG

Aug 14, 2019
Nosedive is a little harsh, admittedly, but those first two arcs are so well executed that the drop in quality is that much harder to ignore, for me. Had they wrapped things up 7-8 eps earlier (and scrapped that hideous tank/tank form), this would be my favourite rider show, no question.

This. Stalk's machinations were the highlight of the show, so when he finally got his hands on the bottles and went full Evolt I thought things would kick into an even higher gear. Instead he just mwahahahas and gets jobbed for a while. His final form was pretty swish tho - serious Guyver vibes.

Yeah near the end it kinda felt like he was holding the villain ball hard as he had so many chances to kill the heroes, but didn't due to 'wanting them to suffer' or something which became tiring after he used that excuse 500 times.....

ValKiryuSonicEX

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
So uh...the Gaim soccer movie is going to be officially available in English this week:

news.tokunation.com

Kamen Rider Gaim Soccer Battle Movie Available in English on 12-18

In a surprise announcement, Team Kamen Rider shared the news that the Kamen Rider Gaim - Great Soccer Battle! Golden Fruits Cup! movie will be added to the Toei Tokusatsu World Official YouTube channel at 5pm PT / 8pm ET on Friday, December 18th. We reached out to Team Kamen Rider to confirm...

Birdie

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I actually thought this episode of Saber was pretty good...liked how all three of the villains for a decent scene to shine during the fight.

Love how they just sit in that room laughing it up half the time.

Also Mei was cute this episode.

Vareon

Oct 25, 2017
Last edited:

chaobreaker

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I've seen it.

So much showa energy coming out of that design. The white with red accents is a bit weird but then again Battle Japan is a thing.

I'll grow to love it.

chaobreaker

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
The thing is, he's supposed to be white. There is another Red member.

They're doing it the JAKQ way! Four cyborgs and... somebody different.

I'm just wondering what happens when they do another collage of Reds and Zenkaiger will be represented by ZenKaiser or the Red Zenkai member.

It's just weird. Even Spade Ace is represented in these collages but he became a second banana in his own series.

3be33dceb3fcf8a6198e4e8811276bb0.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
DioMuller

DioMuller

Oct 25, 2017
Brazil
I'm just wondering what happens when they do another collage of Reds and Zenkaiger will be represented by ZenKaiser or the Red Zenkai member.

It's just weird. Even Spade Ace is represented in these collages but he became a second banana in his own series.

3be33dceb3fcf8a6198e4e8811276bb0.jpg

Yeah, I do wonder if he'll be the leader leader, the fake leader, just another member, or even something like Shurikenger.

MHWilliams

Oct 25, 2017

Harpoon

Oct 27, 2017
I quite like the looks of that Zenkaiser outfit. Really interested to see the rest of the team since this lends credence to the rumours.

Oct 25, 2017
Zenkaiser leaked by Sega's crane game pamphlet
Zero One V Cinema leaked by Terebi-kun's twitter Zero-One Others: Kamen Rider Metsuboujinrai
dude on 5ch who leaked Zenkaiser describing mechs right now

what a day

GalaxyDive

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, I do wonder if he'll be the leader leader, the fake leader, just another member, or even something like Shurikenger.
Assuming the tangential 5ch info is true, then I wouldn't be surprised is red is the "team leader" in a veteran way (i.e. NinjaWhite and TimePink), considering these other four would likely be from the machine world or whatever, while Zenkaiser is the newbie/fish out of water human that nevertheless acts as the leader in battle etc and is presented as the leader in official material.

Oct 25, 2017
Compiling the 5ch stuff:
JuraGaon looks like Robotack, but with a lion and a dinosaur
metalheroes.fandom.com

Robotack

Robotack (ロボタック, Robotakku?) is the eponymous character of Tetsuwan Tantei Robotack. He is a Red Wonder dog-type robot with a dog-type biochip. He came to seek out the Land Tool after arriving in Japan. He also stole Sugi's meal while on the verge of starvation & was soon drafted into the...

ZenkaiOh looks like Kishiryu Neptune except for the legs, "looks very cool". Something about the size of the head (either it's smaller or bigger, not sure)
powerrangers.fandom.com

Ryusoul Gattai KishiRyuNeptune

Ryusoul Gattai KishiRyuNeptune (竜装合体キシリュウネプチューン, Ryūsō Gattai KishiRyūNepuchūn) is the mecha for Ryusoul Gold in Kishiryu Sentai Ryusoulger. 1 Overview 2 History 3 Mecha 3.1 Kishiryu MosaRex 3.2 AmmoKnuckles 4 Additional Formations 4.1 Kishiryu SpinoThunder 4.2 Ryusoul Gattai Gigant KishiRyuOh...
JuraGaon in March, VrooMagine April
Stocks might be lower than usual given Kira's performance
Said that past actors are in as guests

GalaxyDive

Oct 25, 2017
I'd like that suit if it didn't already look like Kamen Rider Mach whom I dislike
I mean it's alright and liable to grow on me; I am curious to see the others who may be more muted.

I can appreciate the aspect of really going for it, but there is the worry of going Full Showa. Like I love the sort of retro feel to the Boukenger suits while still being modern enough (something they've done a few times), but it's certainly a choice to go hard on the Big One + Akaranger hybrid look when the franchise is so desperate for a modern hit (but then again, I guess Ultraman has really never updated its aesthetic and it's more popular than ever).

NeonZ

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
Yeah, aside from the gold chest shield (which looks kind of awkward anyway), the suit feels oddly old-school.
EpVrdMgUwAAsOv2

jwk94

Oct 25, 2017
Oh man, that suit looks all sorts of weird. I'm here for it. I hope it's a good follow-up to Kiramager.

GalaxyDive

Oct 25, 2017
Y'know, is the 5ch leaker indeed confirming Kaiser + Red, Yellow, Blue, and Pink? Can't help but be drawn to the green on the rainbow pattern.

Pluto

Oct 25, 2017
Y'know, is the 5ch leaker indeed confirming Kaiser + Red, Yellow, Blue, and Pink? Can't help but be drawn to the green on the rainbow pattern.
The toy list confirms the colors, there's no green Zenkaiger.

There's a new rumor than ZenKaiser actually uses the Akaranger and Big One Sentai Gears to combine their powers during his transformation, that would explain the green. That could also mean ZenKaiser will get all kinds of suits if we can combine powers, that would be a good way to bring in old powers without repeating Gokaiger. Combining them also lets them do two tributes at a time which helps immensely considering the number of old seasons.

GalaxyDive

Oct 25, 2017

There's a new rumor than ZenKaiser actually uses the Akaranger and Big One Sentai Gears to combine their powers during his transformation, that would explain the green. That could also mean ZenKaiser will get all kinds of suits if we can combine powers, that would be a good way to bring in old powers without repeating Gokaiger. Combining them also lets them do two tributes at a time which helps immensely considering the number of old seasons.
Oh yeah, good point, could just factor into the collectible gimmicks.

MHWilliams

Oct 25, 2017

Look. Once again, that's a Rider gimmick. I ain't mad at it, but it is what it is.

Pluto

Oct 25, 2017
Look. Once again, that's a Rider gimmick. I ain't mad at it, but it is what it is.
and
It feels more like an Ultraman gimmick. Rider has used older powers as power ups and for form changes in top of a new power but they haven't really merged two powers like this iirc

But Saber is full of sentai gimmicks, they're clearly changing things up on both halfs of Super Hero Time.

MHWilliams

Oct 25, 2017
and
It feels more like an Ultraman gimmick. Rider has used older powers as power ups and for form changes in top of a new power but they haven't really merged two powers like this iirc

But Saber is full of sentai gimmicks, they're clearly changing things up on both halfs of Super Hero Time.

Point taken!

mrmoose

Nov 13, 2017
Compiling the 5ch stuff:
JuraGaon looks like Robotack, but with a lion and a dinosaur
metalheroes.fandom.com

Robotack

Robotack (ロボタック, Robotakku?) is the eponymous character of Tetsuwan Tantei Robotack. He is a Red Wonder dog-type robot with a dog-type biochip. He came to seek out the Land Tool after arriving in Japan. He also stole Sugi's meal while on the verge of starvation & was soon drafted into the...

ZenkaiOh looks like Kishiryu Neptune except for the legs, "looks very cool". Something about the size of the head (either it's smaller or bigger, not sure)
powerrangers.fandom.com

Ryusoul Gattai KishiRyuNeptune

Ryusoul Gattai KishiRyuNeptune (竜装合体キシリュウネプチューン, Ryūsō Gattai KishiRyūNepuchūn) is the mecha for Ryusoul Gold in Kishiryu Sentai Ryusoulger. 1 Overview 2 History 3 Mecha 3.1 Kishiryu MosaRex 3.2 AmmoKnuckles 4 Additional Formations 4.1 Kishiryu SpinoThunder 4.2 Ryusoul Gattai Gigant KishiRyuOh...
JuraGaon in March, VrooMagine April
Stocks might be lower than usual given Kira's performance
Said that past actors are in as guests

Wait, Kira's toys underperformed?

Birdie

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Saber's not even that Sentai-y, it's kind of a meme to call it that as an insult to its quality. When people say "Saber is like a sentai" it always comes off as a low effort criticism without addressing the actual pacing and tonal issues.

When you get down to it you got a team of multi-colored heroes and a dancing ending. That's pretty much it as far as stuff that's a bit unusual for Rider. I guess a giant humanoid robot maybe even though giant robots have been popping up quite a bit in Rider, King Arthur just happens to be the most traditional Sentai looking one, but he's probably only gonna be used like two times more max.

NeonZ

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
Wait, Kira's toys underperformed?
Yeah, in general Sentai has trended downwards in the last 5 years and Kiramager just continued that trend.
X3r3Ako.jpg

These are only Japanese toy numbers though. They don't include the money Bandai used to get from Power Rangers (which added at least 10 billions every year before the last decade. Although in more recent years it was dropping and then became basically nothing due to Bandai selling the license).

Pluto

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, in general Sentai has trended downwards in the last 5 years and Kiramager just continued that trend.
X3r3Ako.jpg

These are only Japanese toy numbers though. They don't include the money Bandai used to get from Power Rangers (which added at least 10 billions every year before the last decade. Although in more recent years it was dropping and then became basically nothing due to Bandai selling the license).
Those numbers can't be right, Ohranger is one of the best selling sentais ever. There's no way it did just 8 billion.

NeonZ

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
Those numbers can't be right, Ohranger is one of the best selling sentais ever. There's no way it did just 8 billion.
It's one of the best selling Sentai... for the 90s. The really large number that people mention (15.1 billion yen) was actually the overall group number, which includes Power Rangers, not just Japanese toy sales. People by mistake were comparing it with the Japanese toy-only numbers of other series.

The Ohranger number is straight up listed by the Japanese wikipedia.

平均視聴率は4.5%と伸び悩んだが、鈴木によれば商品面での売り上げ(ロボットや武器以外の関連グッズを含んだ売り上げ)は歴代戦隊では最高であり、総売上額151億円、うちバンダイの玩具売上額も80億円と歴代の戦隊の中でも非常にハイレベルな数字を残している。