• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
OP
OP
DioMuller

DioMuller

Oct 25, 2017
Brazil
Saber 11

Kento is a terrible friend, heh. I'd call him Tsundere, but he's more like... all the coldness, sometimes he's ok. Guy is worse than Spectre. Heck, I could see him turning into a stupider version of Micchy. It's like... his whole character development is circular, it goes nowhere.

At least the toy commercial part finally was toned down a bit, and we are getting some real plot and character development, now.

But you know what Saber feels like (and maybe it's just what it is?) Ghost's writer trying to do Ex-Aid. Lots of characters, some crazyness mixed with drama, things happening every episode, and a big twist every month or so. The problem? It's not done nearly as well as Ghost. Characters still lack development, sometimes they just skip development and go from cause to solution directly. At first I was going to say maybe it's COVID restrictions fault, but no, Kiramager and Ultraman Z are doing fine with it.

And to help, we even got MISUNDERSTANDINGS in the middle of it, now. Oh no.

mrmoose

Nov 13, 2017
Honestly I think the Saber toys are cool...like the Gashats I like when they go the effort making their own versions of famous games/books and the artwork on the toys.

Kind of a shame the gimmick of mixing the books is probably going away now with the upgrades but that's Rider for you...the non-Swordriver riders I guess are there for the additional combos (in fact scans show all three are using different books) but I'm guessing the Wonder Combos are basically dead now lol.

OOOs is really the only show with a mix and match gimmick that really didn't just toss it away.

I think OOO was the first rider driver I got after I got back into collecting (even before I had kids). I still feel like the gimmick was amazing and the medals were pretty cheap to import. Then Fourze was just way too toylike, but I understand why they went away from simple. I'm actually planning on digging out the OOO driver and medals and rewatching with the kids soon.

As a kid I was pretty inseperable from my Kamen Rider v3 belt and helmet so they got me from very young.

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
Today I learn there was plans in Kuuga for secondary rider and a female rider

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
Second and third rider, with the second rider's form changes. And a upgrade for Kuuga

jwk94

Oct 25, 2017
Second and third rider, with the second rider's form changes. And a upgrade for Kuuga
That's interesting. I assume Ichijo would've been the secondary rider. Who would've been the girl? The scientist taking in the role could've introduced more conflict between her job and her son. But I also feel like she already has enough on her plate. I also don't see Godai's sister doing it. They probably could've made something happen with the shop owner's niece though.

Birdie

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I'm telling you they should've had one of the Zi-O films have the appearance of lost 95-99 Heisei Riders that history forgot.

SageShinigami

Oct 27, 2017
That isn't a bad comparison, especially at how uninteresting the villains are

I'm early enough that the villains don't seem to have an impact yet, but I'm betting that doesn't change. The main villain lost in the second episode and was like "this is part of my plan". And well-written Xanatos villains are rare, so this guy's an idiot.

Vareon

Oct 25, 2017
That's interesting. I assume Ichijo would've been the secondary rider. Who would've been the girl? The scientist taking in the role could've introduced more conflict between her job and her son. But I also feel like she already has enough on her plate. I also don't see Godai's sister doing it. They probably could've made something happen with the shop owner's niece though.

"Plans" are a bit too much, concept artists tend to draw a lot before anything is settled story-wise or even concept-wise, sometimes their art even inspired the story or concept itself. These are most likely arts from their exploring phase before they settled on any concept.

OP
OP
DioMuller

DioMuller

Oct 25, 2017
Brazil
In any other year, Z would easily be the best of the year or very close second, but it ran with 01, a very solid Rider season with highs many toku can't even dream of reaching, and Kiramager, the best sentai has been in years, and strong contender for best sentai of the decade. It's crazy. I can't pick one as the best.

Hope Saber isn't a preview of what's to come.

Ultraman Z - 22

Yet another really solid episode. Great fights, so much action, and even Bako got a fight! Heck, Sevenger with Beliarok and dat finisher was great. Don't even care it was all recycled monsters, and even a bit inconsistent with the alien powers, it was just so good.

Good to see Juggler following his true love steps and becoming a hobo like Gai, too.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
Kira and Ultra Z are both doing the impressive streak of no bad or even slightly mediocre episodes, and Kira is doing it for double the number of episodes (though I also would argue it's not reaching the highs Z is).

jwk94

Oct 25, 2017
There's a Japanese dub with English text too on the channel.

This show is pretty much equivalent to stage shows where the story is basically an excuse for us to see the characters fight, it's fun.
This is really interesting! I'm watching the previous Ultra Galaxy dub right now. Thanks for the info!

Do we know why there's been this international Ultraman push lately? It seems so weird. I had no idea there was even a market for Ultraman in the west.

Mewzard

Feb 4, 2018
This is really interesting! I'm watching the previous Ultra Galaxy dub right now. Thanks for the info!

Do we know why there's been this international Ultraman push lately? It seems so weird. I had no idea there was even a market for Ultraman in the west.

I'm pretty sure Tsuburaya has wanted to push Ultraman internationally for ages, but they only just got the international rights back after decades of them basically being stolen back in December.

jwk94

Oct 25, 2017
I'm pretty sure Tsuburaya has wanted to push Ultraman internationally for ages, but they only just got the international rights back after decades of them basically being stolen back in December.
Interesting, thanks! Is there any more info on what was going on with the international rights?

Sandfox

Oct 25, 2017
I'm guessing next week is the end of the first Saber arc. I'm super invested in the story right now.

Oct 25, 2017
It's absolutely amazing how much shit keeps happening in Saber while it feels like nothing is happening.
The world ending is next week, one character is near death, other is wounded almost to death, there's a new mystery person* while we still don't know the name of the last introduced character (who is missing this week), suddenly Rintaro solved Touma's amnesia arc with a single word (making Kento look even more moronic), there is the mysterious power from the Avalon book that Slash was SUPER interested in and Touma was going to try his hardest to master but hasn't been relevant in a month now, there was the worry about Touma being worn down by Wonder Combos, there was the risk of Buster's son getting caught in danger again, there is the mystery of what actually happened with Kento's dad now, there is Rintaro's revenge quest that kinda popped out of nowhere and is kinda solved now that he can do Wonder Combos??, there's the mystery with Sophia, there's the tease of more Riders from the Southern Base, there's the parallels that keep piling up between Luna and Mei, there's the whole rest of the 13 books prophecy thing, there's the uneasy alliance of Ex-Saber and Three Stooges, there was Ren's weird fascination with Kento that disappeared, there's Tassel, there's...

But it's ok because Jaou Dragon's jingle makes me laugh every time.

*who is not actually new, but you probably forgot about him so same difference, really

jwk94

Oct 25, 2017
It's absolutely amazing how much shit keeps happening in Saber while it feels like nothing is happening.
The world ending is next week, one character is near death, other is wounded almost to death, there's a new mystery person* while we still don't know the name of the last introduced character (who is missing this week), suddenly Rintaro solved Touma's amnesia arc with a single word (making Kento look even more moronic), there is the mysterious power from the Avalon book that Slash was SUPER interested in and Touma was going to try his hardest to master but hasn't been relevant in a month now, there was the worry about Touma being worn down by Wonder Combos, there was the risk of Buster's son getting caught in danger again, there is the mystery of what actually happened with Kento's dad now, there is Rintaro's revenge quest that kinda popped out of nowhere and is kinda solved now that he can do Wonder Combos??, there's the mystery with Sophia, there's the tease of more Riders from the Southern Base, there's the parallels that keep piling up between Luna and Mei, there's the whole rest of the 13 books prophecy thing, there's the uneasy alliance of Ex-Saber and Three Stooges, there was Ren's weird fascination with Kento that disappeared, there's Tassel, there's...

But it's ok because Jaou Dragon's jingle makes me laugh every time.

*who is not actually new, but you probably forgot about him so same difference, really
So, Saber is going well, I take it!

Oct 25, 2017
I certainly would prefer watching the first 12 episodes of Saber again rather than the first 12 episodes of Zi-O if you put a gun to my head and asked me to choose.

Birdie

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Did Calibur not just fuck up the plan by killing the lightning swordsman who they needed to open the last gate?

And why did Zoous and Storius stop Touma but not Ren who also already opened a gate?

Oct 25, 2017
There's an excellent streak of episodes in the middle focused on past series (Blade, Kiva, Kabuto, Hibiki, Agito, Den-O, prolly something else I am forgetting) and the rest exists

to quote myself from the last thread when the show was airing:
Forgot to post weekly impressions. Uuuuh: Zi-O 42-43 wow Zi-O couldn't stay good for long huh. Fuck this villain reveal/motivation. If you aren't keeping up with it, watch the Blade arc until the Den-O arc then just watch Heisei Generations Forever instead of keeping up with this bullshit. That movie RULES. What a difference when they have a director that gives a shit. On the other hand, Ryusoulger 18 absolutely rocks. Consistent characterization and gags, Kreon and Tyramigo doing their best, super nice and unpredictable twist at the end that keeps touching on certain themes regarding the Ryusoul Tribe, general lighthearted tone that doesn't go for full goof.

The king is dead. Long live the CEO.

This ending was so garbage I won't even post impressions or general comments on the series. Just gonna say Oma was cool as heck.
It also aped Build's last plot twist but did it way way way worse.

But at least we got plenty of good Decade moments including this one where he explains where his powers come from:
z4ks2sE.jpg

And he being rewound from death:

jwk94

Oct 25, 2017
There's an excellent streak of episodes in the middle focused on past series (Blade, Kiva, Kabuto, Hibiki, Agito, Den-O, prolly something else I am forgetting) and the rest exists

to quote myself from the last thread when the show was airing:

It also aped Build's last plot twist but did it way way way worse.

But at least we got plenty of good Decade moments including this one where he explains where his powers come from:
z4ks2sE.jpg

And he being rewound from death:

I'm still shocked they somehow made Tsukasa into a great character after his show finished... OK maybe not great but he's definitely better with how much they lean into his bs

Sandfox

Oct 25, 2017
I loved Zi-O's ending lol

Did Calibur not just fuck up the plan by killing the lightning swordsman who they needed to open the last gate?

And why did Zoous and Storius stop Touma but not Ren who also already opened a gate?
I don't think they actually said Lighting was needed, so Calibur could just do it.

Also, Ren was teamed up with Kento only to get ditched.

I'm still shocked they somehow made Tsukasa into a great character after his show finished... OK maybe not great but he's definitely better with how much they lean into his bs
I actually like Decade in his series better than his future appearances. His later appearances completely ignore everything he went through in his own series and change his personality. In his series he was a super cocky dude that learned created his own journey and built his own bonds as the series went on and then the later stuff just plays up the destroyer stuff and turn him into a new version of Narutaki.

Ororo

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I have a few questions, hopefully you guys can help me out. Black RX is a direct sequel to Black right? So to see the complete story I need to watch both shows correct? Why is Black RX considered a "main rider" if he's just an upgraded version of Black?

Oct 25, 2017
ep-32-2.jpg

STRAIGHT OUTTA CARAT

I have a few questions, hopefully you guys can help me out. Black RX is a direct sequel to Black right? So to see the complete story I need to watch both shows correct? Why is Black RX considered a "main rider" if he's just an upgraded version of Black?
Yes but also no? Black RX is a sequel but Black was never intended to have one so they are quite different things - which is why it's common to have both cameo'ing in stuff like they are separate characters.
He is a main rider because he is the protagonist of a new show. Black RX is a new base form, not a Black power up.

NeonZ

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017

Black's story is completely self-contained. Black RX shows the next adventures of Black, but it basically changes up everything. New supporting cast, new villains. There's basically no relation of its main plot with Black aside from the main hero being a Rider from the start of the new show and the villains (who are completely new) already knowing about him. A few events and characters from Black are mentioned or appear later though, but Black's main premise/conflict isn't really continued by RX.

As far as Black RX counting as a separate main Rider goes, that all goes back to Shirakura, the producer of most early Heisei series up to Decade. Originally, Black RX was just the 11th main Rider too. There's even a recap episode between Black and Black RX that outright calls Black RX the 11th Rider. However, Shirakura dislikes any kind of continuity and prefers seeing each work (tv series and movie) as completely independent. During Decade, he managed to get Kotaro's actor back and used the crossovers on tv and movie to firmly establish Black and Black RX coexisting as separate Riders from parallel worlds.