• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Oct 25, 2017
The show has been on Marvel's website before so it wouldn't surprise me it shows up on Disney plus eventually

Also I find the behind the scenes makings of Tokusatsu infinitely more interesting than actually watching tokusatsu, particularly for the older programs.

This upcoming Spiderman episode, the Power Rangers episode of The Toys That Made Us, the Jeff Pruitt videos of Dairanger

I adore this stuff

Birdie

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I finally got around to finishing the last couple episodes of Zi-O, confusing end but overall I look fondly back on it better than Decade.

I liked Over-Quartzer even if the Heisei Riders coming together felt a bit weak so soon after the amazing Heisei Forever did the exact same deal.

Guess I have Movie Wars Zero-1, Geiz Majesty, and tracking down the Shinobi/Ryuki web series though to finish off Rider Time.

NeonZ

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
I liked Over-Quartzer even if the Heisei Riders coming together felt a bit weak so soon after the amazing Heisei Forever did the exact same deal.
I don't think that's really the issue, the actual problem is that the movie does very little with them. Heisei Generations Forever gives many of them lines (recycled quotes, but it's still great to give them presence), has several of them rescuing people, has individual action sequences for most of them, or unique combo attacks. There's the bike/vehicle group scene and then a sequence where they all individually use their finishers one by one.

Over Quartzer on the other hand has a very brief sequence with the camera panning showing them beating up grunts, with no real individual scenes or lines for any of them. They also don't interact with anyone (which is a big missed opportunity when they had someone like Mach right there). There's the cool shot where they all turn into their final forms, but right after that they're just a generic group facing the movie Riders, without any special spotlight to them individually, just as a group, like this time when they all use Rider Kicks it's just them all acting in unison without any individuality (which could work as a finisher if they had gotten unique spotlights earlier, but they didn't either).

Birdie

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Yeah that's true too.

I'd love to see the return of Legend Rider gear in-show again since that hasn't been a thing since Ex-Aid, and only slightly, and now we don't even get the "movie wars Riders cross over their gear" stuff now.

Saber seems like if it does anything like that it won't be suits but just him wielding each Rider's sword which Grand Zi-O kind of did though. I wanna see like a Dragon Progrise Key form for Zero-One and Saber getting the center of his body grasshopper themed

OP
OP
DioMuller

DioMuller

Oct 25, 2017
Brazil
Saber 09

Saber... is not great. The writing is messy, and some scenes have no continuity at all. We could argue COVID, but I think this writer's history already explains a lot of it too. Can't say I like the batle buildup, too.

That said, Daishinji is legit good. I like that character. I also do appreciate the whole team thing Saber is trying to do, even if the execution is, at best, uneven.

Oh yeah, Saber's foreshadowing is really bad. Unless the whole Calibur is a Red Herring, I guess. It was clear who Calibur was since we saw his sillouette last episode.

Birdie

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Also I was surprised how many Wonder Ride books the toyline has now, though I doubt any of them will appear.

I don't think the Swordriver has been hacked yet has it? And they're releasing a new one with new sounds.

Vareon

Oct 25, 2017
If you just mean the lack of an overall battlefield shot, there's a simple reason for that... There was only one suit for all variations of the duck monsters in this episode. The only times they even appear together were when one of them was using the invisible effect and a side shot where you can't even see their feet on the ground (since that's where digital composition would be most obvious). Even when two of them attacked Slash at once, they were always in completely separate cuts. In the official blog, they also had separate pictures for each one rather than a single group shot. Sakamoto had to avoid an actual battlefield shot and the camera was always focused on specific characters since any wide location shot would expose how there was actually only one duck suit.

Still, like I said, his Rider group battles always break down into solo fights, this just meant no initial establishing shots.

production_image1

This is exactly what I meant by Sakamoto knew what he was doing. Nobody is out there with the intention of making a bad show, it's a messy process and it's not always the fault of one person, be it writer or director or anyone else. I'm interested in behind the scenes stuff because I have been on the production side of film, but when the end result is bad, it's bad with no excuse. Viewers won't even know why they felt dissatisfied after watching and probably not coming back to next episodes without ever knowing why.

Still I hope Saber is popular with kids because I'm nowhere near the main target of the show anyway. This is all a rant from a pedantic 30something who's frustrated to know what happened behind the scenes that led to very major compromises to the show. In the end kids deserve Kamen Rider Saber more than I do.

mrmoose

Nov 13, 2017
Also I was surprised how many Wonder Ride books the toyline has now, though I doubt any of them will appear.

I don't think the Swordriver has been hacked yet has it? And they're releasing a new one with new sounds.

How does the toy work? It seems like you can download the phrases into a micro SD card (that I assume you buy separately)? So does the base toy only come with a few?

The swords in the belt are obviously ridiculously small but I love to buy drivers (I blame the V3 one I cherished as a kid)

Birdie

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Um like I feel like this is a new thing with the base Driver getting an upgrade version like this?

I mean it happens down the line with special collections (like the CSM belts) but when the show is airing seems strange. Usually they have a whole bunch of recorded lines for anything planned, and anything additional will either use stock phrases, or additional devices themselves have their own sounds.

Or that's my understanding.

MHWilliams

Oct 25, 2017
I haven't talked about Saber because honestly, I'm not really watching it. It's being far outclassed by Ultraman Z and Kirameiger, which is weird, because it's usually the other way around.

mrmoose

Nov 13, 2017
Um like I feel like this is a new thing with the base Driver getting an upgrade version like this?

I mean it happens down the line with special collections (like the CSM belts) but when the show is airing seems strange. Usually they have a whole bunch of recorded lines for anything planned, and anything additional will either use stock phrases, or additional devices themselves have their own sounds.

Or that's my understanding.

Ah, I didn't realize this is an "upgrade" version of just the sword that allows you to download sound clips, ie:
daisukitoku.com

Kamen Rider Saber DX Kaenken Rekka Sound Update Edition Announced | Love Tokusatsu | Japanese Entertainment and Tokusatsu News

A new version of Kamen Rider Saber's Seiken Swordriver was announced. The Kaenken Rekka Sound Update Edition includes a microSD card to download sound files

I just saw the tamashii nations video of them replacing the card and assumed it was a feature of the regular DX driver.

Premium Bandai Lottery (ended yesterday) so it's not like I'll ever see one, I guess. :)

KingWillance

Oct 25, 2017
Every single time they cut away from Slash last episode my interest immediately flagged. And then after the fight when the lady whose name didn't even come up (because hey, they can sell that as a revelation next episode I guess) was like 'so that's Saber, interesting...' I truly had to wonder if she was watching the same show I was.

Also as someone pointed out elsewhere: why was there a whole plotpoint of finding Buster's kid when they apparently have books that can show you wherever a Megid is?

KingWillance

Oct 25, 2017
There wasn't any Megid around Busters' kid, which is how Mei even got away with making a signal.

Hey! Thank you, that's totally correct and on me. Forgot that the books somehow transported them to the pods directly. (Still kinda weird that the tech hasn't shown up before now, or you didn't have someone on book-watching duty to see if the Megid ever came back to the pods (to eat them? presumably?).

modoversus

Oct 25, 2017
México
I am enjoying Saber, but I agree with the criticism found in this article about Japanese viewers comenting about the show on social networks:

• "It's hard to support the show because you don't really get to know any characters. The content goes on and on with shallow content. I feel like I'm watching a 30-minute toy commercial."
(Like yeah of course it is, but it's suppoused to not feel too much like that)
  • "It's not funny or boring, it's not much of anything. Even though a lot happens in a 30-minute episode, it feels empty."
I'm finally up to date with Kira, and yeah, it's super good.

KingWillance

Oct 25, 2017
Kira's cast is so good that I feel like you can combine them in any number of ways and be promised entertainment. It and Z are highlights of the week.

modoversus

Oct 25, 2017
México
Oh yeah, that's another thing that is great about Kira is that they do get character centric episodes where they learn or do stuff that only the character can do.

How many of those Ryusoulger had? I don't remember and I watched the whole thing. It was very much fighting the monster of the week and that's it. And boy did it squandered Nada.

Orayn

Oct 25, 2017
The JP social media quotes are exactly how I feel about Saber. It's a bummer not to be excited anymore after Zero-One was something I really looked forward to every week for a whole year.

KingWillance

Oct 25, 2017
Oh yeah, that's another thing that is great about Kira is that they do get character centric episodes where they learn or do stuff that only the character can do.

How many of those Ryusoulger had? I don't remember and I watched the whole thing. It was very much fighting the monster of the week and that's it. And boy did it squandered Nada.

The show knows and respects its characters so much and I absolutely adore it. Even little things like remembering to have Sena show up first whenever they're all running is more than a lot of these shows will remember to do at this point in the game. It's one of those things where the show doesn't treat any part as 'well, we have to do this so let's get it over with.'

Oct 25, 2017
  • "It's not funny or boring, it's not much of anything. Even though a lot happens in a 30-minute episode, it feels empty."
Probably the most accurate description of the show and the reason I cannot grasp people saying "oh last episode was great". No, episodes have been a bit better than the first two, but doesn't mean they have been good, much less great.

It's also part of the reason I haven't dropped it - it's not bad enough for that. Yet. Waiting to see what Q2 will bring.

DragonSJG

Banned
Mar 4, 2019
I am enjoying Saber, but I agree with the criticism found in this article about Japanese viewers comenting about the show on social networks:

• "It's hard to support the show because you don't really get to know any characters. The content goes on and on with shallow content. I feel like I'm watching a 30-minute toy commercial."
(Like yeah of course it is, but it's suppoused to not feel too much like that)
I'm finally up to date with Kira, and yeah, it's super good.
Same honestly

Wanderer5

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Somewhere.
Yeah, much as I enjoy Saber too, it definitely feels like it is throwing in too much in a short time, and a lot of it doesn't stick. Some of the characters really suffer as a result of it(especially Ren and most of the villains). This week's episode was meh for the most part, but Slash form was pretty damn cool and kind of saved it. Some serious Ex-Aid vibes from it. XD

But still, despite loving Slash, I am not sure about having like 6-7 Kamen Riders already within 10 episodes.

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah it explains more about Slash's past apparently.

I'm guessing this might be the cast making up for how little time they've had due to TOYS.
It's a 8.5 episode that explains a bit about Buster, Slash and the incident 15 years ago.

It's goddamn absurd it's not part of the show, to be very frank. Slash talking about his sword laying dormant means quite more after this.

DragonSJG

Banned
Mar 4, 2019
The villains are forgettable as fuck dude
What are their personalities again?
Also yeah characters feel shallow and also, it seems to be leaning too much in the silly side of things

OP
OP
DioMuller

DioMuller

Oct 25, 2017
Brazil
I'm ok with silly. But the pacing is very bad. There's a lot of things happening but, at the same time, almost nothing matters, the characters barely gain anything from it, it all feels disconnected.

I think a better writer could do something really good with this idea and this team. The characters have the potential to be good, but right now they get their introduction and then BAM, now they're part of the friends group and that's it for them.

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
I don't know what they were thinking with the standing there and hold a book while lines are read thing this year. It feels more and more out of place especially when they still doing the full cgi package henshins

Birdie

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I watched Reiwa the First Generation...

Kamen Rider always flubs when it tries to do the "both sides need to get along" when we have Grandpa Hiden going "haha fuck you" when his Humagear secretary questions if he'll get paid, but the former is shown to be otherwise a great, employee-focused businessman.

Also Aruto smiling as triumphant music plays and we see the human rebel army headshotting Humagear who seemed to have been forced against their will to go crazy in this instance. Definitely got in the way of the message...

Also I don't get why Zi-O and Zero-One randomly fought at the end?

Okay movie I guess. Kind of hard to live up to the IMO high bar Hesei Generations Forever left, though I guess it was going for a smaller scale conflict between just two Riders and not a bit crossover. Do wish we saw some other cameos, like since they went back to 2007 would've been cool to have seen one of the Riders from that era.

NeonZ

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
Kamen Rider always flubs when it tries to do the "both sides need to get along" when we have Grandpa Hiden going "haha fuck you" when his Humagear secretary questions if he'll get paid, but the former is shown to be otherwise a great, employee-focused businessman.
I don't think president Hiden even realized that Humagears could go through singularity at that point. He valued them, but not as people.

Also Aruto smiling as triumphant music plays and we see the human rebel army headshotting Humagear who seemed to have been forced against their will to go crazy in this instance. Definitely got in the way of the message...
Early in the show Humagears getting hacked was basically death. Before they came up with Humagear keys there was no way to restore them (Aruto sent identical copies to replace them, but several times they show they'd need to learn everything again).

Also I don't get why Zi-O and Zero-One randomly fought at the end?

In order to erase the Zi-O related events from everyone's memories since this movie came out before Geiz Majesty, where the Zi-O crew starts without their memories (and Geiz Majesty was shot before this movie, considering how they had a trailer with a couple of scenes right after the tv show ended).

Okay movie I guess. Kind of hard to live up to the IMO high bar Hesei Generations Forever left, though I guess it was going for a smaller scale conflict between just two Riders and not a bit crossover. Do wish we saw some other cameos, like since they went back to 2007 would've been cool to have seen one of the Riders from that era.

Yeah, this movie's box office was a big drop from the previous two Heisei Generations movies (0.94 billion yen -> 1.28 billion yen -> 1.56 billion yen -> around 0,9 billion yen), even though previously Heisei Generation was the one series of Rider movies that got higher and higher box office with each entry. I guess they wanted to avoid guests here due to the 50th anniversary next year though, where they certainly will be pushing guests again, but it seems unnecessary. Like the Heisei Generations series itself has shown (or, you know, the MCU), if the crossovers are good people won't get tired of them, they will want more and more.

The Movie Wars and Super Hero Taisen series showed decreasing revenue because they had big problems, not because people got tired from crossovers.

Last edited:

Birdie

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
In relatedr news the Movie Rider for Saber looks cool... apparently will be in the show too?

Vareon

Oct 25, 2017
We finally got a taste of Saber's potential by its concept, a really cool Sword-based Rider vs Rider fight. Its character stories are still clumsily told but the characters themselves are OK. Daishinji rose from being the most awkwardly introduced character to best Rider.

OP
OP
DioMuller

DioMuller

Oct 25, 2017
Brazil
Good luck on your next steps, MHWilliams!

Ultraman Z 20

Bwahaha, what a great episode. Love those episodes where the monster isn't really evil, but must be contained anyway. That said, maybe Z went a bit too far to stop the poor monster? Some pretty brutal wrestling moves there. And then even summon Beliarok, heh. It's clear that both Z and Haruki's strong point isn't thinking, but fighting and having the heart at the right place.

Birdie

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Oh I realize those are probably meant to be silverfish crawling out of his face, what the Saber mooks are based on since they live in old books and such.

Guess he's like a living corpse or something.

Birdie

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
This episode of Saber was fun... definitely seems we're setting up for a Rider conflict down the line. Kind of want to see what Southern Base has in their roster.

The action was good and flo youwed pretty well but I burst out laughing when Calibur got thrown in the air and was flung around by an explosion in the air.

I realized I'm kind of confused by who knows what. I thought Touma already knew Kento's dad was Calibur (or, well, who we thought was Calibur).

mrmoose

Nov 13, 2017
This episode of Saber was fun... definitely seems we're setting up for a Rider conflict down the line. Kind of want to see what Southern Base has in their roster.

The action was good and flo youwed pretty well but I burst out laughing when Calibur got thrown in the air and was flung around by an explosion in the air.

I realized I'm kind of confused by who knows what. I thought Touma already knew Kento's dad was Calibur (or, well, who we thought was Calibur).

I thought they were keeping that from Touma so that he wouldn't be concerned.

I'm confused (haven't seen the latest episode though) about the three kids. Touma remembered about the girl but I thought we knew the boy was Kento, or is that not the case?

NeonZ

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
I thought they were keeping that from Touma so that he wouldn't be concerned.

I'm confused (haven't seen the latest episode though) about the three kids. Touma remembered about the girl but I thought we knew the boy was Kento, or is that not the case?
We know Kento is Touma's childhood friend and he also seems to know the flashback girl, but it actually hasn't been stated that he's the flashback boy in those scenes with the girl, even though everything else we know would point to that.