• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

MHWilliams

Oct 25, 2017
I liked Wizard's suit design and Haruto was cool to watch beat people down. Honestly Kamen Rider has "bad" series so rarely that I never get too worked up.

I'm MUCH more picky about Sentai, because it's gotten...somehow too "kiddy", even though that doesn't make any sense. I don't want grim dark Sentai, but we're a long way from the 2000s. 2010s had way more shows I don't wanna go back and finish.

Kirameiger is the last sentai I've watched since... Kyuranger? And before that, Kyoryuger. But the 2009-2014 run, Shinkenger to Kyoryuger, was still great.

Oct 25, 2017
Kiramager is honestly the GOAT. I had no expectations, thought the designs were trash and every week it surprises me. Last sentai I watched completely was what, Zyuoh?

PhoenixAKG

Aug 14, 2019
You are just jealous of his sick bike moves.

There are three dozens of bad characters in Wizard, Beast, Gremlin and Medusa are not part of them.

What character did Medusa have aside from saying "despair, "wiseman", "gate"?.

Also I will say about Fourze that I like Meteor but that's because he's basically Pegasus Seiya as a Kamen Rider. Meteor Storm is kinda lame and his beyblade weapon is eh.

Also of all the Sentai we all know Gokaiger is the GOAT right?

SageShinigami

Oct 27, 2017
Kirameiger is the last sentai I've watched since... Kyuranger? And before that, Kyoryuger. But the 2009-2014 run, Shinkenger to Kyoryuger, was still great.

2009's Shinkenger was amazing.
2010's Goseiger was ok.
2011's Gokaiger was really good.

Hot take but Go-Buster was wack. Kyoryuger was fire.

What character did Medusa have aside from saying "despair, "wiseman", "gate"?.

Also I will say about Fourze that I like Meteor but that's because he's basically Pegasus Seiya as a Kamen Rider. Meteor Storm is kinda lame and his beyblade weapon is eh.

Also of all the Sentai we all know Gokaiger is the GOAT right?

Gokaiger isn't really "great". I wouldn't put it up against 2003-2007.

OptiveLink

Oct 25, 2017
Glad I posted. Good points all around.
Now as long as we all agree that Zero One is perfect we'll be good to go.

Thinking about going all in for Gaim's CSM but like, he's not even in my top 5... It just looks so cool and Kachidoki Arms is incredible.
Why couldn't it have been a CSM for a bad Rider like Build?

Vareon

Oct 25, 2017
Fourze was top tier for me, it's one of the few instances where the Rider form fits perfectly with the character. I can believe it's Gentaro behind the Fourze suit instead of a highly skilled suit actor. It also went full shonen manga with everything.

Birdie

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Fourze was top tier for me, it's one of the few instances where the Rider form fits perfectly with the character. I can believe it's Gentaro behind the Fourze suit instead of a highly skilled suit actor. It also went full shonen manga with everything.
That's actually a great point.

I feel a lot of Rider shows struggle with making you believe the face actor is the Rider...but Fourze NAILS it. I think it helps he talks a lot as Fourze while a lot of early Riders had them somewhat silent while a Rider.

Oct 25, 2017
Must I drop another "SHAMEFUL" in this thread?
A bunch of cool concepts and art doesn't outweigh how the show fails to fulfill the few goals it sets up, the botched conflict, the lack of proper arc for the villains, the constant distance between Red and the rest while the viewer is asked to pretend they are becoming super intimate, the abandoning of Gold after half a dozen episodes and the unexplainable disappearance of him during big moments for Red even though they are childhood friends, the awful mechs, the constant free passes Green gets while Pink is thrown under the bus, the total limp climax, the train wreck that Juuzo ends up being after a good trajectory, the piss poor sound and visual effects and must I keep going?

10/10 opening though.

SageShinigami

Oct 27, 2017
A bunch of cool concepts and art doesn't outweigh how the show fails to fulfill the few goals it sets up, the botched conflict, the lack of proper arc for the villains, the constant distance between Red and the rest while the viewer is asked to pretend they are becoming super intimate, the abandoning of Gold after half a dozen episodes and the unexplainable disappearance of him during big moments for Red even though they are childhood friends, the awful mechs, the constant free passes Green gets while Pink is thrown under the bus, the total limp climax, the train wreck that Juuzo ends up being after a good trajectory, the piss poor sound and visual effects and must I keep going?

10/10 opening though.

Go as far as you want. Shinkenger is still one of the best Sentai series of the last 10 years.

Vareon

Oct 25, 2017
I have a soft spot for Shinkenger, it's the first sentai I fully watch outside of Power Rangers. Plus I think the old TokuGAF was born around that era.

Plus I cosplayed Shinken Red!

SageShinigami

Oct 27, 2017
I agree, and it speaks volumes about the state of sentai.

Mind you, I don't think Shinken is "don't watch" bad. Just nowhere near the upper echelon of good toku.

Well hold on. I LOVE Shinkenger but I wouldn't put it near Kyoryuger or Kyuuranger. It gets where it is based on good suits, decent fight choreography, and a likable cast. Probably my favorite Red other than Captain Marvelous in a walk.

Though yes, the state of Sentai is miserable. And if you made me do it I wouldn't put Shinkenger above Deka, Magi, or even Boukenger.

Birdie

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I realized the other day that "ooo" is used by Japan as sort of a "fill in the blank" symbol which fits how OOO is all about different combinations.

Orayn

Oct 25, 2017
I think Saber has too many riders not to turn into a secret Rider War show. Kenzan or Slash will probably change sides or start a new faction. Buster is Kamen Rider Death Flags so I'm sure he'll be in the mix there too. The framing of the main trio in the OP also leads me to believe shit's gonna go south and leave them as the only remaining heroes against an increasingly complex conflict.

KingWillance

Oct 25, 2017
Saber doesn't know how to explain one faction, I can't wait to see them try to explain motivations for more 😆

Birdie

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
"Books should be read right to left".
"Well I think books should be read left to right".

Birdie

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I'm actually kind of wanting the new episode of Saber after this break, kind of hype for Slash.

Oct 25, 2017
So the latest episode of Beast Morphers had some AWFUL implications thrown in.
It's not a good message when the Blue Ranger is so angry that he has to be restrained from hurting his GF until she forgives him. It's just... baaaad.

Birdie

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
So the latest episode of Beast Morphers had some AWFUL implications thrown in.
It's not a good message when the Blue Ranger is so angry that he has to be restrained from hurting his GF until she forgives him. It's just... baaaad.
I guess they had to work in the footage of Buster Blue's weird "berserk" mode?

Oct 25, 2017
I guess they had to work in the footage of Buster Blue's weird "berserk" mode?

Yeah, they worked in the Go-Buster weaknesses but with some tweaks. Red now freezes up when sees dogs instead of chickens because he has leopard DNA (never mind that leopards would eat dogs for breakfast but whatever), and Yellow needs carrots to function instead of sweets (because rabbit DNA). Blue's stayed the same. This was established in the second episode.
What's dumb is that unlike Go-Busters, they barely brought it up through the series. Red's dog weakness only came back for a single gag. We never got something like him fighting and suddenly one shows up to freeze him.
Here, after Blue goes berserk, he stays berserk even after cooled off. All stemming from a contrived misunderstanding with his girlfriend.

Birdie

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Not going to lie it kind of bothers me we got three single book Riders now and not one of them is Animal Book based.

They should've made Buster just a regular tortoise, or maybe Kenzan a weasel and then he could also be a reference to a sickle weasel to keep the ninja stuff going.

Though personally I still think Zoous might get a Rider form. Ice?

NeonZ

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
Not going to lie it kind of bothers me we got three single book Riders now and not one of them is Animal Book based.

They should've made Buster just a regular tortoise, or maybe Kenzan a weasel and then he could also be a reference to a sickle weasel to keep the ninja stuff going.
We just came from an animal focused series so it feels like they only made the three animal books for the main Riders and then were done with them. The position even makes it more expensive to do these (since they'd need to design a Rider face and chest for the book illustration rather than just an arm).

Birdie

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
God that was worth the wait that episode of Saber popped off. Bless Sakamoto! We even got that cool scene he does where the Riders fight untransformed as they prepare to henshin.

at this point unless it's someone new Calibur has to be Rintaro's master

Vareon

Oct 25, 2017
I loved the little additions to Saber's OP and ED. The team is more or less complete for the time being, I think. We're at seven Kamen Riders plus their power ups at nine episodes, which IIRC is the same pace as Gaim (though Kurokage and Gridon had much less importance). Slash is super fun and whoever predicted his personality change a few pages back was spot on.

But holy shit am I being unnecessarily pedantic with the choreography? This is supposedly a 3 vs 5 fight (+1 including Calibur) but most of the fights are 1 on 1 except some very rare occasions. When Calibur appears there's not a single establishing shot, instead they just showed multiple shots of him. I'm sorry if I muddled the discussions here, but I'm a storyboard artist and you don't do this. Koichi Sakamoto knows how to direct a fight with lots of participant, in fact he's one of the best in the industry for said task, he wouldn't do this.

NeonZ

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
But holy shit am I being unnecessarily pedantic with the choreography? This is supposedly a 3 vs 5 fight (+1 including Calibur) but most of the fights are 1 on 1 except some very rare occasions. When Calibur appears there's not a single establishing shot, instead they just showed multiple shots of him. I'm sorry if I muddled the discussions here, but I'm a storyboard artist and you don't do this. Koichi Sakamoto knows how to direct a fight with lots of participant, in fact he's one of the best in the industry for said task, he wouldn't do this.

This episode was directed by Koichi Sakamoto though. And it lines up with how he generally handles battles with multiple Riders (see Megamax, Ultimatum, Heisei Generations). They spread apart and take on enemies one vs one or at best two to one. I guess it's to allow the individuality of each Rider to shine through rather than presenting them as a collective "team".

Oct 25, 2017
Action direction in Saber is almost as bad as its editing, and a step back even from the last couple heisei shows. You are not being pedantic at all.

Vareon

Oct 25, 2017
This episode was directed by Koichi Sakamoto though. And it lines up with how he generally handles battles with multiple Riders (see Megamax, Ultimatum, Heisei Generations). They spread apart and take on enemies one vs one or at best two to one. I guess it's to allow the individuality of each Rider to shine through rather than presenting them as a collective "team".

I know he's directing, that's why I brought up his name. He knew how to do this, Movie War Megamax had much more separate battles without it feeling disjointed. Even his TV stuff like the Ex-Aid episodes are great. This is like he was given random footage and had to work his best. It's weird.

NeonZ

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
I know he's directing, that's why I brought up his name. He knew how to do this, Movie War Megamax had much more separate battles without it feeling disjointed. Even his TV stuff like the Ex-Aid episodes are great. This is like he was given random footage and had to work his best. It's weird.

If you just mean the lack of an overall battlefield shot, there's a simple reason for that... There was only one suit for all variations of the duck monsters in this episode. The only times they even appear together were when one of them was using the invisible effect and a side shot where you can't even see their feet on the ground (since that's where digital composition would be most obvious). Even when two of them attacked Slash at once, they were always in completely separate cuts. In the official blog, they also had separate pictures for each one rather than a single group shot. Sakamoto had to avoid an actual battlefield shot and the camera was always focused on specific characters since any wide location shot would expose how there was actually only one duck suit.

Still, like I said, his Rider group battles always break down into solo fights, this just meant no initial establishing shots.

production_image1

Last edited:
OP
OP
DioMuller

DioMuller

Oct 25, 2017
Brazil
Kiramager 30

This week's MotW is on the same level as many of the best/worst Goranger MotW, heh.

Awww, I wish Kiramai Gold wasn't just a gag. They even did a suit!

Birdie

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Yeah there's always been weird moments in Rider where a character just...stops acting off screen but I agree it's been particularly egregious in Saber where characters disappear for awhile and just pop back up.