• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Yukari

Mar 28, 2018
Thailand
Nowaday. I still waiting for Patkaiser Splash to appear.

kBXQZ2P.png

The Kiva suits are awesome. Look at these and tell me otherwise:

ddumcdv-b28911a9-a86d-434a-b643-a476dd91129e.png

ddva258-d24817f8-ac00-462d-82ee-9b318d15f65f.png

Fun Fact.
Reason Emperor Form appears quickly and Wataru's not using other forms anymore because the first suit is very heavy for suit actors.

Vareon

Oct 25, 2017
TIL we have a Tokusatsu OT. Neat.

Wanting to give Ultraman a try finally - should I start with Ultra Q or Ultraman?

That sure is so far back lol. Ultra Q is a Japanese 60s sci-fi series that had little to do with Ultraman, so if you're looking Ultraman action you should just go with Ultraman. Episode 19 of Ultra Q is on the Ultraman Channel if you want to get a taste of it.

We're actually following Ultraman Z weekly now it's a really great series. The earlier episodes have been deleted on the channel so you have to look somewhere else.

purseowner

From the mirror universe
Oct 25, 2017
UK
That sure is so far back lol. Ultra Q is a Japanese 60s sci-fi series that had little to do with Ultraman, so if you're looking Ultraman action you should just go with Ultraman. Episode 19 of Ultra Q is on the Ultraman Channel if you want to get a taste of it.

We're actually following Ultraman Z weekly now it's a really great series. The earlier episodes have been deleted on the channel so you have to look somewhere else.
I've been watching a lot of Showa era kaiju films and wanted to explore the Ultraman stuff from that era. Don't care how much action there is or not, just curious as to where the best place to start is in terms of quality or cultural interest. Don't know if that episode you mention is geolocked (I'm in the UK), but I'll look into it - thanks.

I'll be back for the more action-focused modern stuff later! :P

Oct 25, 2017
The only one of those that I think looks good is base Ixa, sorry :v

Don't know if that episode you mention is geolocked (I'm in the UK), but I'll look into it - thanks.
The stuff Tsupro has been putting up on youtube isn't geolocked, fortunately! This week they also started uploading Gridman in the same template they have been doing Ultraman Z - each episode stays up for two weeks.

Pluto

Oct 25, 2017
I've been watching a lot of Showa era kaiju films and wanted to explore the Ultraman stuff from that era. Don't care how much action there is or not, just curious as to where the best place to start is in terms of quality or cultural interest. Don't know if that episode you mention is geolocked (I'm in the UK), but I'll look into it - thanks.

I'll be back for the more action-focused modern stuff later! :P
I think Ultra Q is an interesting place to start if you don't expect typical Ultraman or henshin hero shenanigans (because there isn't a henshin hero). It's like a mix of The Twilight Zone and X-Files with kaiju elements thrown in. A lot of later recurring Ultraman kaiju were introduced in Ultra Q, try to get the Mill Creek Blurays (they are region free) if you are interested, they were remastered in real HD and look great.

PhoenixAKG

Aug 14, 2019
The only one of those that I think looks good is base Ixa, sorry :v

The stuff Tsupro has been putting up on youtube isn't geolocked, fortunately! This week they also started uploading Gridman in the same template they have been doing Ultraman Z - each episode stays up for two weeks.

Lies and slander. How can you NOT think that Saga looks amazing?!!!!!1

Oct 25, 2017
Because the whole stained glass designs look goofy as hell in the material used for the suits. The concept art of the Kiva suits is amazing. The actual result, ew.

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
The Lore behind Kiva is insane, and in depth.

I am still waiting for Bashaa Fever

Birdie

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
The Lore behind Kiva is insane, and in depth.

I am still waiting for Bashaa Fever
Oh yeah there's all these extra races...like I said the movie kind of went that route with an evil race the Legendoria or whatever that would've been cool to see in the main series.

Also Kiva's bike is powered by a horse heart.

Bashaa Fever I think debuted in the second Battride War right?

KingWillance

Oct 25, 2017
Of all the squandered potential of Zi-O nothing makes me madder than its failure to provide an Otoya/Kazumin interaction. I want them bonding over their love of idols, damn it!

PhoenixAKG

Aug 14, 2019
God I'm still pissed an amazing design like Saga got ditched for Dark Kiva.

Dark Kiva still looked dope so I'm not too upset but losing Saga was a shame.
Oh yeah there's all these extra races...like I said the movie kind of went that route with an evil race the Legendoria or whatever that would've been cool to see in the main series.

Also Kiva's bike is powered by a horse heart.

Bashaa Fever I think debuted in the second Battride War right?

Yep. We should've seen more of the lore in the series as it sounds awesome.

Also really wish we could've seen Taiga's fangire form.

MHWilliams

Oct 25, 2017

ddumcdv-b28911a9-a86d-434a-b643-a476dd91129e.png

ddva258-d24817f8-ac00-462d-82ee-9b318d15f65f.png

aecacef2395e43a839cca02369c8b362.png

ddh0pig-81f7c3c2-3b69-4ac6-9d47-3720c680d333.png

The music also ruled and one of the best of all rider in my view. They even formed a band for the show that reunited a year later for a concert.

The Aesthetics of the show should be enough to put it in top tier.

Wizard had a great design for the main Rider.

Didn't make it a good show. Hell, for a while "bad suits = good story" was a running joke among the community.

Birdie

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I think it helped that the cool suit Wizard show was generally considered weak and then we get...fruit warriors?...and everyone generally loves it.

Gaim had a rough ending for sure but it kept people watching. I'm glad it was my first live Toku.

Vareon

Oct 25, 2017
I remember in the very old days of dial up internet, forums were ablaze by the reveal of Kamen Rider Gai and Raia. No compound eyes, Kamen Rider is dead, etc etc. So I just laugh when the same discourse happened every year for 20 years. I think the reveal of Fourze and Ex-Aid were some of the wildest times, amazingly both end up generally loved by the community. Though I swear some people still to refuse watching Ex-Aid based on its suits.

Orayn

Oct 25, 2017
I'm trying to finish Wizard, this show is such a drag. There's literally no plot development for huge spans of it and the characters are passable at best. Fight choreography is good I guess.

Vareon

Oct 25, 2017
I'm trying to finish Wizard, this show is such a drag. There's literally no plot development for huge spans of it and the characters are passable at best. Fight choreography is good I guess.

Part of why Gaim is so loved is that it broke the two-parter format where the story was meandering for half a year before going in full gear in the 30s. It has happened for years and not necessarily bad, but by Wizard it has became so stale and predictable that the Gaim clearly states it's going to break the format.

Orayn

Oct 25, 2017
Part of why Gaim is so loved is that it broke the two-parter format where the story was meandering for half a year before going in full gear in the 30s. It has happened for years and not necessarily bad, but by Wizard it has became so stale and predictable that the Gaim clearly states it's going to break the format.
I'm at 41 and it still doesn't feel like Wizard is in gear. Sure there's a secondary Rider and new forms but the status quo has barely changed at all besides swapping out a villain and knowing more about how everyone's powers work.

Also I'm watching reverse chronological and Gain was indeed pretty fresh, and overall one of my faves. There are still some loose 2-parter elements to it but nothing like the way previous series used the two episodes.

MHWilliams

Oct 25, 2017
Wizard himself (I honestly can't remember his name?) was such a goddamn non-entity of a character. So passive and emotionless.

Vareon

Oct 25, 2017
I'm at 41 and it still doesn't feel like Wizard is in gear. Sure there's a secondary Rider and new forms but the status quo has barely changed at all besides swapping out a villain and knowing more about how everyone's powers work.

Also I'm watching reverse chronological and Gain was indeed pretty fresh, and overall one of my faves. There are still some loose 2-parter elements to it but nothing like the way previous series used the two episodes.

I don't know where I've read this--probably in this thread--but the actress playing Koyomi had conflicting schedules so her role was reduced. And with Koyomi's story being the motivation behind both hero and villains, the story was forced to meander for a while. CMIIW though.

Production problems are always interesting to see, and managing productions for a show that lasts entire year sounds like a nightmare in this age, where new series are one or two cours at most. But they really need a year of toy commercial campaign to run.

Pluto

Oct 25, 2017
Production problems are always interesting to see, and managing productions for a show that lasts entire year sounds like a nightmare in this age, where new series are one or two cours at most. But they really need a year of toy commercial campaign to run.
Ultraman proves that they don't actually need an entire year, it only runs for 25 episodes per season and the toy sales are good.

NeonZ

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
I don't know where I've read this--probably in this thread--but the actress playing Koyomi had conflicting schedules so her role was reduced. And with Koyomi's story being the motivation behind both hero and villains, the story was forced to meander for a while. CMIIW though.

I don't think Koyomi's role being reduced had anything to do with the story meandering, it just reduced her development and resulted in things like them always flashing back to the same couple of moments she shot outside to show she had bonded with Haruto in the final few episodes.

Wizard's story structure is pretty typical for shows produced by Utsunomiya, it's just he's mostly a Sentai producer (Shinkenger, Gokaiger, Toqger, Zyuohger, Lupinranger vs Patranger). Wizard suffered compared to them since due to only having two Riders compared to a full Sentai team there was even less they could do while the plot wasn't advancing.

Ultraman proves that they don't actually need an entire year, it only runs for 25 episodes per season and the toy sales are good.

Ultraman's toy sales in Japan are still bellow even current Sentai. It just makes more money outside of that, and only since last year, so a large part of it is just Sentai's sales falling more and more. Also, Bandai outright owns 49% of Ultraman while they only have a toy license for Sentai, so it's hard to tell where that money is coming from. You can see something similar (to a larger scale) with Gundam in Bandai's financials, where the overall group numbers also get a big boost compared to just the Japanese toy numbers, but it's yet another franchise that's owned by Bandai (and this one is actually fully owned).

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
www.youtube.com

スーパー戦隊シリーズの歩み|TIFFマスタークラス

北米では「パワーレンジャー」としても人気を集める日本発のキャラクター、スーパー戦隊シリーズ。 1975年にスタートした「秘密戦隊ゴレンジャー」は何が革新的だったのか。そして、スーパー戦隊シリーズはどのようにその魅力を保ち続けてきたのか。シリーズの歩みを振り返りながら、関係者が語り合います。 会期 11.4(水)1...
History of Super Sentai with Naoya Makoto, Naruhisa Arakawa, Katsuya Watanabe, Koichi Sakamoto and Shinichiro Shirakura
there was a live translation in english:

GalaxyDive

Oct 25, 2017
Was great seeing the Magiranger cast together for the first-time post-series. Would be great if something came of it (speaking of which, was that third song new??)

Re: Kiva, I think part of its enduring popularity woes is being sandwiched between two popular, often recurring series (Den-O and Decade).

As a series, it's probably something binging helps. Watching it week to week left far too much time to get hung up on its flaws. I still enjoyed it, but it could have been "fixed" so easily (mostly by just leaning into the series' lore a bit more). Inoue was obsessed with making it a romantic drama and ignored the toy aspects to the point where it did the series a disservice. I can cut Emperor's hasty introduction some slack given production circumstances, but there was so much that was used once and never seen again etc.

mrmoose

Nov 13, 2017

I also think having a lot of riders helped distribute the plot around, but that may just be my bias towards multiple riders.

KingWillance

Oct 25, 2017
I watched some Fourze last night to cocoon myself from election anxiety and boy howdy does it still hold up. Also real interesting to compare it to more recent riders with its more varied locations, heavy use of background actors, etc. While I think the later series have been on aggregate better, it does bum me out we'll likely never get a show like Fourze again.

PhoenixAKG

Aug 14, 2019
Yeah Wizard's plot was non-existent and Haruto so bland and boring. No wonder he likes plain sugar donuts. The less said about Shunpei and Nitoh the better. Easily one of the worst rider series. A shame as it had potential. We could've got Devil May Cry Kamen Rider version.

Also why do people like Fourze? I mean I find it too silly for my taste honestly.

KingWillance

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah Wizard's plot was non-existent and Haruto so bland and boring. No wonder he likes plain sugar donuts. The less said about Shunpei and Nitoh the better. Easily one of the worst rider series. A shame as it had potential. We could've got Devil May Cry Kamen Rider version.

Also why do people like Fourze? I mean I find it too silly for my taste honestly.

I am clearly biased but I think it executes on almost everything it tries to do very well. It knows what it's about and sticks to them from day one. While it's not as twisty as other riders the twists it does have usually end up being foreshadowed and the writing supports it. Most importantly, its cast of characters is absurdly strong and the actors know how to play them from word one. Watching it just makes me smile but the silliness is girded with real empathy toward the characters (and balanced with some surprisingly great action).

OptiveLink

Oct 25, 2017
hey so i thought i heard some people talking trash about fourze but that couldn't possibly be true right

Hating on Wizard's writing is fine tho. (The characters deserved so much better)
Ghost was able to shine in everything that wasn't the show. Why can't Wizard get that chance? :(

PhoenixAKG

Aug 14, 2019
hey so i thought i heard some people talking trash about fourze but that couldn't possibly be true right

Hating on Wizard's writing is fine tho. (The characters deserved so much better)
Ghost was able to shine in everything that wasn't the show. Why can't Wizard get that chance? :(

We can also hate on Shunpei and Nitoh as they had bad writing and were bad characters.

mrmoose

Nov 13, 2017
Fourze was a fun series but I wasn't that fond of the designs or the belt/gimmicks (since I was collecting belts at the time). Also it's hard to watch without being reminded what happened with the actress that plays the best friend.

Oct 25, 2017
"What happened" is a weird way of putting it. AFAIK she was always part of the cult in some level because of her parents. It's not like she got into it after the show because of something that happened in her life.

Oct 25, 2017
There are small glimpses of Wizard being a sarcastic character but more often than not he's completely stern and serious.

He's a lot more likeable in the crossovers he shows up in

KingWillance

Oct 25, 2017
I feel like they were trying to go for 'aloof/above-it-all' with Haruto while being too afraid to lean into it like with Tendou. Dude was more than fine in crossover movies, but I guess at that point he was supposed to be emotionally at peace or whatever.

MHWilliams

Oct 25, 2017

Bad suit, gimmick, and blah fights, but: Break from the normal Kamen Rider setups. Outside of best friend Kengo, the Kamen Rider Club is delightful from top to bottom. Good villains, and the ultimate resolution of the conflict absolutely ties back to the character.

Basically, a good story and characters can carry me through a lot. Ex-Aid is another good example, where the fights were just okay and the suits were hideous, but I enjoyed the characters and the story dovetailed nicely.

mrmoose

Nov 13, 2017
"What happened" is a weird way of putting it. AFAIK she was always part of the cult in some level because of her parents. It's not like she got into it after the show because of something that happened in her life.

It wasn't common knowledge then, though. I think, for instance, Allison Mack was recruited to NXIVM before she exited Smallville but none of us had any idea at the time. Watching it now, however...

SageShinigami

Oct 27, 2017
I liked Wizard's suit design and Haruto was cool to watch beat people down. Honestly Kamen Rider has "bad" series so rarely that I never get too worked up.

I'm MUCH more picky about Sentai, because it's gotten...somehow too "kiddy", even though that doesn't make any sense. I don't want grim dark Sentai, but we're a long way from the 2000s. 2010s had way more shows I don't wanna go back and finish.

KingWillance

Oct 25, 2017
I know opinions and all but I fucking love Fourze's suit. It fits the theme and photographs well. Know I'm in the minority though.