• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
OP
OP
DioMuller

DioMuller

Oct 25, 2017
Brazil
Kiramager 29

Divided on this episode. I mean, it's still great, but the resolution was a bit too sudden.

HOWEVER. The change on status quo and overall plot progression was great! Good to see Kira isn't having a lull at all.

Also, Yodona was one of the greatest additions to an already great shows, and elevated the villains from serviceable to great.

NEXT EPISODE. Please be more than a joke. Pleaaaase.

Saber 08

The Mei thing at the start was kinda funny, but then they dragged it for so long... It's also funny how at the exact moment they let Mei in, even the kid can get in. Calibur just... shoving Touma was weird, heh.

The shove was weird, but the action this week was, in general, kinda bad. The directing in general is kinda bad, with weird cuts and everything. Part of it is probably COVID restrictions' fault, but Kira and 01 worked so much better with that...

One good thing: Saber as... a Saber. That was fun. And at least we have the team together now. Maytbe things will feel less rushed now.

Also, Oren cameo! Even if it was just a quick scene, it's nice to see him back. One of the few characters in Gaim that didn't suck at one point or another.

Last edited:

modoversus

Oct 25, 2017
México
So how about a Kamen Rider Opening compilation...without credits! Nice to have this official and not worry that it's going to get taken down.

Rhomega

Oct 25, 2017
Arizona
I'm watching all of them. I'm nostalgic for Kuuga-Blade. Faiz is one of those themes that gets me pumped up.

Now do Super Sentai!

mrmoose

Nov 13, 2017
I forget if PR are off limits here (so I apologize if they are) but Hasbro revealed some shots of their ryusoulger zords and... they look really good, basically the Bandai toys with a lot more detail and articulation. Of course the transformation is pretty simplistic with partsforming and everything, but this may be the rare release that is way better in domestic form.

Oct 25, 2017
I forget if PR are off limits here (so I apologize if they are) but Hasbro revealed some shots of their ryusoulger zords and... they look really good, basically the Bandai toys with a lot more detail and articulation. Of course the transformation is pretty simplistic with partsforming and everything, but this may be the rare release that is way better in domestic form.
Do you have a link

Orayn

Oct 25, 2017
Finally got around to Saber 8, actually a pretty fantastic episode. This show is all over the place.

GalaxyDive

Oct 25, 2017
Saw a pic of the Hasbro prototype for KishiryuOh, that does look really nice. Ryusouls themselves look cheap as hell though.

Vareon

Oct 25, 2017

PR is definitely not off limits here, they are by any definition Tokusatsu. In fact we could do more discussion with Tokusatsu from other countries or shows that closely resemble Toku.

Like, The Mandalorian is basically a showa-era Tokusatsu. It's not at all different than Kaiketsu Zubat or Lionmaru.

NeonZ

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
Teaser for an upcoming Rider related announcement (streaming mini-series)

The name Tsukasa Kadoya flashes very briefly at 25 seconds (lower right of the screen while the entire screen becomes yellow), so it might be something Decade related.

Oct 25, 2017
Finally got around to Saber 8

This really is a Sentai show, even has the giant robot. Weird they're going this route.
Also, "this will tickle a bit"

jwk94

Oct 25, 2017
Teaser for an upcoming Rider related announcement (streaming mini-series)

The name Tsukasa Kadoya flashes very briefly at 25 seconds (lower right of the screen while the entire screen becomes yellow), so it might be something Decade related.

Always down for more Decade shenanigans
Like, The Mandalorian is basically a showa-era Tokusatsu. It's not at all different than Kaiketsu Zubat or Lionmaru.
This is honestly a better pitch for that show than anything I've heard in the last year. Might have to give it a try!

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
Hot take but I think the reason Slash doesn't transform is because he becomes another person when he does it. Like R5 from Rescue Force

Birdie

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Hot take but I think the reason Slash doesn't transform is because he becomes another person when he does it. Like R5 from Rescue Force
Considering he's awkwardly shy and his Rider Form is associated with sound yeah I can see that...like he's obnoxious when he transforms and dangerous even.

Birdie

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I think it's time we get another horror Rider...Ghost didn't really count.

I was sketching one that's sort of Dangerous Zombie as a base form. But in a twist his base form is too powerful to maintain as it's stiched together, so he uses three monster cards (movie posters) to mix and match a head, body, and legs piece from each. Like my idea for default combination was XenoMushiRobo, basically the Alien's head, giant mantis scythes like from a movie about giant bugs, and like terminator robot legs with boosters.

OP
OP
DioMuller

DioMuller

Oct 25, 2017
Brazil
Ultraman Z 19

It's awesome how consistently good Z is. Tsuburaya is flexing their practical effects pretty hard, too. The CG isn't as good, but still ahead of what Toei does.

Nice tribute episode. that finisher was kinda brutal, a good way to modernize some of the showa decaptations, heh.

I think it's time we get another horror Rider...Ghost didn't really count.

I was sketching one that's sort of Dangerous Zombie as a base form. But in a twist his base form is too powerful to maintain as it's stiched together, so he uses three monster cards (movie posters) to mix and match a head, body, and legs piece from each. Like my idea for default combination was XenoMushiRobo, basically the Alien's head, giant mantis scythes like from a movie about giant bugs, and like terminator robot legs with boosters.

With both Kiva and Ghost not being that popular, and Saber being a bit too close of the fantasy theme, I don't think we'll see something like that so soon... But could be an awesome idea! Kiva has it's problems, but the theme isn't one of them.

Birdie

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Oh yeah iirc Ghost got complaints for being too scary in his cameo in the Drive movie so maybe scary is off the table for a hero.

jwk94

Oct 25, 2017

They said they wanted to do a 10yrs after. I'd kinda be down for it as long as they didn't permanently revive Jin.

Oct 25, 2017
Tsuburaya decided they were going to show off how good they are at special effects this week and damn, everybody's weekend is better for it. Interesting last scene too.

modoversus

Oct 25, 2017
México
Agreed, normally every episode of Z has at least one really cool or imaginative sequence, then they went and did a whole episode like that.

PhoenixAKG

Aug 14, 2019
Ultraman Z 19

It's awesome how consistently good Z is. Tsuburaya is flexing their practical effects pretty hard, too. The CG isn't as good, but still ahead of what Toei does.

Nice tribute episode. that finisher was kinda brutal, a good way to modernize some of the showa decaptations, heh.

With both Kiva and Ghost not being that popular, and Saber being a bit too close of the fantasy theme, I don't think we'll see something like that so soon... But could be an awesome idea! Kiva has it's problems, but the theme isn't one of them.

What? I loved Kiva. How dare you put it in with Ghost.

Birdie

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Kiva has cool suits and music but the plot is pretty bad. A retread of Faiz with all the problems of that dialed up.

I actually think the plot the movie goes with would've been far better for the actual show.

OP
OP
DioMuller

DioMuller

Oct 25, 2017
Brazil
What? I loved Kiva. How dare you put it in with Ghost.

Personally, I loved everything about Kiva, but the main plot - well, Wataru's ending part that is a bit messy.

That said, it's not one of the popular series, and it is one of the few series with traditional monsters as a theme - the other being Ghost with, well, ghosts.

PhoenixAKG

Aug 14, 2019
Kiva has cool suits and music but the plot is pretty bad. A retread of Faiz with all the problems of that dialed up.

I actually think the plot the movie goes with would've been far better for the actual show.

I liked Wataru's development into a total badass. I don't think the plot is bad. Not perfect but not a disaster.
Personally, I loved everything about Kiva, but the main plot - well, Wataru's ending part that is a bit messy.

That said, it's not one of the popular series, and it is one of the few series with traditional monsters as a theme - the other being Ghost with, well, ghosts.

I see where you're coming from. Wataru trying to abort himself was kinda....yeah but he was grieving. I'm still a massive Kiva stan and Kiva is my favourite Rider (as a rider not a series)

How do you know it's not very popular?

chaobreaker

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I liked Kiva way more than Faiz. The former indulges in all the sappy J-drama from the latter and that manages to wrap around into making it a fun watch. If that makes sense.

Faiz is just a miserable show that meanders in the same drama and misunderstandings from its beginning all the way into its end. How it became one of the most popular early Heisei series is beyond me. The suits look cool I guess.

Birdie

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Maybe not a bad plot per say but Kiva definitely has an issue where for most of it the past plot greatly overshadows the present plot.

Also a lot of people give it flack for the infamous ending but I actually love that.

Vareon

Oct 25, 2017
I liked Wataru's development into a total badass. I don't think the plot is bad. Not perfect but not a disaster.

I see where you're coming from. Wataru trying to abort himself was kinda....yeah but he was grieving. I'm still a massive Kiva stan and Kiva is my favourite Rider (as a rider not a series)

How do you know it's not very popular?

A recent online poll by ITmedia Japan puts Kiva on the lowest of Heisei Riders. Of course we can describe the validity of this poll but in the end Kiva gets 891 out of 48964 votes. Its sales were also nothing to write home about (IIRC below both Den-O and Decade who sandwiched it).

Personally I wanted to rewatch Kiva with a new mindset. Back then I still expected Kamen Rider to be grittier and more realistic (having liked the early Heisei series), and after the very childish Den-O I expected Kiva to be more mature and dark, judging from its themes and design. It's not, and since then I've come to accept what a Kamen Rider show is.

IIRC my biggest problem with it is how myopic the world is, for lack of better word. I don't feel like the characters are actual, living people who have lives outside their plot (a problem I now have in Saber). The other one is

the time travel aspect. I think Wataru actually meeting his father undermines the unique father-son connection they had.

Other than that, Darkness Moon Break and its accompanying theme is totally badass.

PhoenixAKG

Aug 14, 2019
The Kiva suits are awesome. Look at these and tell me otherwise:

ddumcdv-b28911a9-a86d-434a-b643-a476dd91129e.png

ddva258-d24817f8-ac00-462d-82ee-9b318d15f65f.png

aecacef2395e43a839cca02369c8b362.png

ddh0pig-81f7c3c2-3b69-4ac6-9d47-3720c680d333.png

The music also ruled and one of the best of all rider in my view. They even formed a band for the show that reunited a year later for a concert.

The Aesthetics of the show should be enough to put it in top tier.

purseowner

From the mirror universe
Oct 25, 2017
UK
TIL we have a Tokusatsu OT. Neat.

Wanting to give Ultraman a try finally - should I start with Ultra Q or Ultraman?