• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

modoversus

Oct 25, 2017
México
Metal Yoshida is going to be on episode 8 of Saber. New character or are they going to find the book of Gaim? Maybe a tie-in to whatever new Gaim content is coming.

DragonSJG

Banned
Mar 4, 2019
Ok, interesting episode of Saber, I can see why Calibur''s identity is iffy but
God, Mei is so annoying, she ruins every scene she is in. Like when she was gonna die, the tension was gone and the cgi mouth of the monster looked like Courage the Cowardly Dog

And Buster...hmmmm

Orayn

Oct 25, 2017
Saber 7 wasn't bad but I feel like they're trying to do too much, too quickly and will run out of plot like Ghost.

modoversus

Oct 25, 2017
México
Yeah, it's not like on Ex-Aid or the first few arcs of Zero One, when the pacing was fast because things/premise/arc were progressing constantly. Here it feels like they are cramming as much as they can as fast as they can in the smallest ammount of episodes.

Harpoon

Oct 27, 2017
Ultraman Z 17

ERUPTING BURNING FINGEEEERRRR

Was not expecting a G Gundam reference in here. Also that Beliarok finisher was terrifying.

Orayn

Oct 25, 2017
One thing that could make Saber really cool is if it's a secret Rider War show. Sword of Logos splinters into multiple factions with their own agendas, Calibur turns out to have some reasonable motive after all, and it's just the main trio left to fend for themselves. That could be what kicks off next week.

GalaxyDive

Oct 25, 2017
Like two episodes behind on Saber atm, but the fact things are moving so fast... well, probably partly because there are so many Riders to introduce in Q1. But it does seem to be moving rapidly with Calibur and some other broader metaplot items that it doesn't necessarily have to (especially with so many damn villains).

Anyway, wound up dropping Gaoranger again. Was up to ep 26 or so. Shirogane's arc was pretty cool and I like the power animals in general, but damn if everything else wasn't so dry. There is an irony to the characters referring to each other by color instead of name because they barely feel like more than that. Even when they got attention in a focus ep, it's like they're back to being cardboard cutouts once the spotlight's off them.

While I have been itching to start Abaranger (since Arakawa + having almost no exposure to the series), the spur of the moment caught up to me (one of the great things about the series that Shout was able to release is just being able to watch on demand on Shout Factory/Tubi instead of whatever PC fiddling + needing that on and PLEX open), and I wound up starting Dairanger. About 10 episodes in now.

I have to ask, since I really haven't seen anything older than Jetman, is the quasi-serialization a Sugimura thing? It's easy to take for granted how much breathing room the extra bit of runtime the move from evenings to Sunday mornings gave the franchise, and early Dairanger and Kakuranger both feel like they're trying to do things different to best leverage the shorter runtime. I'm surprised to find Dairanger doing such even more. Early Kakuranger I found really refreshing how the series just sort of strung itself together without an overarching villain at first, instead with one motw flowing into the next, usually tied together somehow. But even then, Kakuranger was generally fairly episodic aside from any obvious two-parters and the mid-series Kakure Daishogun quest. So I'm surprised to be seeing a lot of serialization in early Dairanger; besides any plot threads, just stuff like instead of rushing through the motions, there was an ep that ended without beating the motw, and the following episode resumed with that, including an early mech battle, before moving on to something different in the back half.

Birdie

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Man no way, dying to a MOTW (one who was already defeated) would be the biggest jobbing moment of the whole franchise.

OP
OP
DioMuller

DioMuller

Oct 25, 2017
Brazil
Kiramager 28

And another great episode. Shiguru doesn't get a lot of time to shine on other people's episodes, so when ge gets one, it's always great. The actor's expressions this episode were just wild, heh.

Birdie

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I didn't realize the obvious "the final form should be called Pendragon" till I saw the Fate Night thread.

Saber needs to get like Echoes Act II abilities eventually.

Oct 25, 2017
Finished up with Zero-One

It was alright. Definite signs of being rushed due to the pandemic hiatus. You can tell the last few episodes with Aruto becoming the villain were planned while a lot of the stuff before felt half-baked. Especially Gai's redemption arc. "Robot dog... he's a good guy now". Yeah Thouser was cute but still...
I hoped we'd get a reveal where Aruto learns that Fuwa likes his terrible jokes. Maybe in the movie. Though that won't be for a while as it hasn't even come out in Japanese theaters yet. Thanks pandemic...

I'll get started on Saber tomorrow, then continue working on Kiramager.

NeonZ

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
Yeah, Ark-One has a big Zaia Spec emblem on its chest that has nothing to do with anything, so even visually there is that sign that Aruto Ark-One wasn't the original plan.

DragonSJG

Banned
Mar 4, 2019
Mei really ruins it. 8 episodes in and she's easily one of the worst characters in rider ever. All she does is literally yell and scream all her sentences and is so over the top. Like, no one talks like that in real life and she really ruins the mood and tone. Not to mention she is totally useless. Like I thought Akiko, Onari and Shunpei were bad but Mei is another level

Oct 25, 2017
"Totally useless"
literally the only reason they were able to save Sora's life

there's a hundred more useless characters in the first five episodes of rider shows

KingWillance

Oct 25, 2017
Mei is such a stock character I don't understand how you could have strong opinions about her one way or the other. In the list of Saber's problems she is so far down there

ValKiryuSonicEX

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Mei is also a better character than Sofia, in which she is at least a character. Honestly, Mei is the least of Saber's problem.

Orayn

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, Ark-One has a big Zaia Spec emblem on its chest that has nothing to do with anything, so even visually there is that sign that Aruto Ark-One wasn't the original plan.
I think we just barely missed a very cliche Kamen Rider ending where Williamson shows up out of nowhere, becomes Ark-One, shoots a big laser into the sky and reveals that he was pulling the strings behind all the bad stuff for years to take over the world. Then all the remaining Riders would team up to beat him.

Instead we got a really satisfying, emotional finale that focused on the actual conflicts between characters.

KingWillance

Oct 25, 2017
The extra time to plan afford to the hiatus paid such dividends, it's wild. The visuals in the last few episode were remarkably effective...and has made Saber's aesthetics look so underwhelming in comparison. =/

OP
OP
DioMuller

DioMuller

Oct 25, 2017
Brazil
Saber 05 - 07
  • While this isn't as bad as Ghost (yet), the writting is quite messy. I feel they wanted to do too much at the same time but with no idea on how to develop things.
  • Juuzou is back, now as a Evil Dad Rider!
  • This series does have some good over-the-top comedic moments. Buster and Rintaro/Mei work well together. I like the Mechanic guy too.
  • Super genki Kenzan is also fun, if a bit weird. Second Ninja Rider, in just a couple years, too! I don't know if it's proposital or not, but the actor is a bit... weird, with that smile all the time.
  • Slash is a cool guy.
  • Can't say the characters aren't unique between themselves at least...
  • The one character I feel isn't that well used is Espada. He's like the serious/plot character of the series, but it's not well done, imo.
  • Sophie must be one of the most passive mentors (if I can even call her that) ever.
  • The villains feel like a discount shop, less interesting version of the Greeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeed with a Rider version of Wolzard thrown in.
  • We already know Calibur's face, but it was treated a mistery on Ep. 7... I wonder if there's something here? Could be nothing, coming from this writter.
  • They really ramped up the chromatic aberration in those episodes, but the CG isn't that bad, they did some good choices considering their budgets. Feels more like an aesthetic choice, even if it was by necessity.
  • Rintaro got a full, "best matched" powerup before Touma? Cool.
In the end, this is not *good*, but it's not *bad*. The characters are nice to good, but I feel they have a basic outline for the plot and are throwing things as it goes. This is Zi-O bad (and even a bit better than that, if you only count the series by itself, not the cameos), not Ghost bad.

DragonSJG

Banned
Mar 4, 2019
Yeah Saber villains are lame, like we don't know shit and they are just there
I forget about them weekly

Birdie

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Which of the three villains are gonna go face though? My guess is animal man because he's simple enough just looking for a good fight.

Vareon

Oct 25, 2017
You could replace Sofia with a lamppost that had some lore on it and nothing would be lost. It's maddening.

Even as a lore Sophia is less useful than the random books Touma read to solve the situation. We just got a literal android whose job is to give explanation to the main character and she managed to be lovable in her first couple of episodes. Sure we can give her benefit of the doubt that she'll be an actual good character but it's running thin in a series that botched so many character introductions already.

Oct 25, 2017
Beast Morphers big crossover

... Meh. I know there was multiple episodes of build-up compared to other crossovers but this still felt underbaked. I don't know, I guess a true Power Rangers crossover will never feel complete unless every actor is involved. Even if that wasn't the case for the Sentai original.
There was good stuff at least but yeah...

Caught up on Kamen Rider Saber

This is a weird season so far. Everything feels rushed, and there's way too many characters.
I get why everything feels so distant, they want to prevent COVID spread. But the sacrifices behind it are clear with that weird narrator and the addition of an ED song in what feels like forever. Hopefully they slow things down going forward.

Birdie

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Well we got a new female character coming to Saber...seems to be a branch of Sword of Logos.

Someone also pointed out she has "shin" in her name and all Riders so far have had "kami" or "shin" in their family names.

Oct 25, 2017

Reika Kamishiro, a messenger from the Southern Base of Logos, debuts in ep9.

And Sakamoto for episodes 9 and 10.

Edit- aaa too slow lmao

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
Hell of a cameo in Saber this week from another weapon centric Kamen Rider series

MISTER DANGEROUS!!

Deleted member 3815

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Mei is also a better character than Sofia, in which she is at least a character. Honestly, Mei is the least of Saber's problem.

Indeed, honestly it's just so frustrating seeing Riders writers write their Women characters so badly time and time again. It just reeks of sexism where they aren't allow to be a hero, not allowed to be a fully fleshed out character and exist only to either be a damsel in distress, or a vehicle for the hero to info dump to the audience.

It's archaic and is a sign that the writers either don't know how to write women or just straight up misogynistic.

I want to see women written on the same level as the men. Valkyrae was an attempt but even then she was a poor attempt as she very quickly got side lined in favour for the men and it was clear that the writers had zero idea what to do with her character nor was interested in exploring in developing her character.

NeonZ

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
Neither of them are in this new Gaiden though. The returning characters seem to be just Bravo, Gridon and Zangetsu.

Vareon

Oct 25, 2017
Why is Ultraman Z always a delight to watch every week.

Reika Kamishiro, a messenger from the Southern Base of Logos, debuts in ep9.

And Sakamoto for episodes 9 and 10.

Edit- aaa too slow lmao

Kazuya Kamihoriuchi directed episode 5 and 6 and it doesn't improve much. This show has an editing problem that makes everything feels janky and disconnected and it hurts the already weak script. A telling when shows has this problem is when the story makes sense when you write it down or read it in wiki but you had a hard time following it in the actual episode. I'm -really- looking forward for the show's production notes, if they make one like Zero-One.

OP
OP
DioMuller

DioMuller

Oct 25, 2017
Brazil
Ultraman Z 18

This is a weirder episode. Feels more like an Ultra Q episode than an Ultraman episode. Which makes sense, since apparently this is a sequel of sorts for a specific Ultra Q episode.

This was another pretty unique episode, somewhat unsettling and with a good payoff.
Ultraman Z keeps doing things right while doing different things and it's so great.

Birdie

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I think some folks speculate Saber for whatever reason decided to add the dance number at the end last minute (maybe Toei wanted a light-hearted end to otherwise heavy episodes since kids are depressed because of covid?), and that's seen cuts in actual scenes. That seems plausible...

There's apparently spin-off episodes coming starting after next episode which might be their way of building character that they don't have time for in the episode proper.

Birdie

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
It doesn't really feel earned and I barely get the sense of camraderie but I really liked the dynamic of the swordsmen in Saber 8.

Also damn Touma got rolled down the stairs and deteansformed that's always brutal to see.