• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

KingWillance

Oct 25, 2017
It's really hard for me to figure out if the issues I'm having with Touma and Mei (and, honestly, most of the characters on Saber so far) are the fault of performance, direction, or writing. Every time either does to the big 'waaaaaaaaah' [eyes open in shock] reaction, though, it doesn't feel like they're in character doing it. All the scenes between characters at the moment are really awkward because I don't get much sense of intention from any character and more that they're just doing what they're doing because it's what's on the page. I'm genuinely curious if covid has left them having to use a lot more first takes than usual or if the safety precautions in place means there's less time for the director to actually direct.

coredecepts

Oct 27, 2017
I'm about 4 episodes away from finishing Ghost. I don't understand why people rag on it constantly. It's not great, not going to argue there, but it's not awful. If this is as bad as Rider gets, then sign me up for Saber I guess?

edit: Onari is a treasure and I will hear nothing to the contrary.

Last edited:
Oct 28, 2017
I'm about 4 episodes away from finishing Ghost. I don't understand why people rag on it constantly. It's not great, not going to argue there, but it's not awful. If this is as bad as Rider gets, then sign me up for Saber I guess?

Maybe viewing it all in the one is fine, but week after week of the same 20 minutes of blandness was dire, back when it was airing.

OP
OP
DioMuller

DioMuller

Oct 25, 2017
Brazil

Yeah, as Puncher said, watching it all at once is probably better. Some of us had to suffer with all the blandness and nothing plot every week.

And I agree with Onari. He and Akari deserved a better series.

Birdie

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Yep stuff like the Makoto clone saga and whatever the fuck was up with the Bill Gates dude were horrible drags.

Speaking of which I'd avoid the Spectre v-cinema because it legit makes things even stupider.

coredecepts

Oct 27, 2017
I can see that. Compared to something like Build or even Drive, both of which consistently develop the plot each episode, Ghost is practically glacial for at least a few stretches.

Still, it's a good time. The henshin callouts are some of my favorites. Alain is up there among some of my favorite riders. Great music. The suit designs are consistently good. There's a lot to like, even though you could cut the episode count down and lose very little.

PhoenixAKG

Aug 14, 2019
Yep stuff like the Makoto clone saga and whatever the fuck was up with the Bill Gates dude were horrible drags.

Speaking of which I'd avoid the Spectre v-cinema because it legit makes things even stupider.

I actually liked the Specter V cinema......

Also why do people like Onari??!!! He's like Shunpei 2.0

OP
OP
DioMuller

DioMuller

Oct 25, 2017
Brazil
Because he's something funny in a sea of boredom. He may be a bit too much at times, but it's still better than the rest of the blandness that Ghost is.

Alain was also pretty cool for a few episodes. Unfortunately the series focused more on Takeru and Makoto.

jwk94

Oct 25, 2017
So I just finished the episode where the Kiramaigers get King Express. Juuru is disrespectful as hell for stealing Garza's zord and then telling him he'll do it again lol. I'm absolutely loving this season.

Vareon

Oct 25, 2017
Onari is the straight man doing his best without any power whatsoever, people tend to like that kind of proxy characters.

Sandfox

Oct 25, 2017
Onari is way better than Shunpei and is actually a likable characters that doesn't act super annoying 24/7.

RedHoodedOwl

Nov 3, 2017
The next Sentai title will center around android rangers? Well, we've seen robotic rangers in Kyuranger, so it was only a matter till we saw a team consisting of automatons or cyborgs. Will this be the Super Sentai's equivalent of Zero One?

NeonZ

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
The next Sentai title will center around android rangers? Well, we've seen robotic rangers in Kyuranger, so it was only a matter till we saw a team consisting of automatons or cyborgs. Will this be the Super Sentai's equivalent of Zero One?
It could also just be vehicles again though.

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
Been a while since we had rangers that turn or merge with their machines. Would not be mad about a Turbo Teen situation.....

Oct 25, 2017
Imagine not watching Ultraman Z.
2b2bfdc9f0.png

Folks like Onari? Why, he's annoying as hell
You have a veeeeery low bar for annoying.

jwk94

Oct 25, 2017
Hasbro just revealed the Red, Pink, and Blue Dino Fury rangers. Don't know why they didn't reveal the full cast when we probably already know the rest, but whatever. They also used TV Nihon subs in their trailer lol

Character names:

Red - Zayto (might be spelled wrong)
Blue - Ollie
Pink - Emilia

NeonZ

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
Hasbro just revealed the Red, Pink, and Blue Dino Fury rangers. Don't know why they didn't reveal the full cast when we probably already know the rest, but whatever. They also used TV Nihon subs in their trailer lol

Technically there are a few episodes before green and black join the main team.

jwk94

Oct 25, 2017
Technically there are a few episodes before green and black join the main team.
True, but it's still an odd choice, especially since the trailer showed all the colors. Oh well, really interesting seeing them go with a black, red ranger twice in a row. That's never happened. I wonder if Black Lives Matter influenced their decision any.

coredecepts

Oct 27, 2017
True, but it's still an odd choice, especially since the trailer showed all the colors. Oh well, really interesting seeing them go with a black, red ranger twice in a row. That's never happened. I wonder if Black Lives Matter influenced their decision any.
Maybe they just went with the best actor for the role.

NeonZ

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
The Beta Smash battle in Z 14 felt like it was another Redman reference.

Delio

Oct 25, 2017

Character names:

Red - Zayto (might be spelled wrong)
Blue - Ollie
Pink - Emilia

Cute cast. Blue will totally be a fave huh. The story beats in the trailer are kinda hmm.. mostly cause they are leaning on the Grid again but also something brought it to earth which in my mind feels wrong? In any case it was cute that they threw in that little nod to the former Dino Teams.

Orayn

Oct 25, 2017
Catching up on Ultraman, didn't realize 13 was basically a clip show. Is it common to have multiple clip shows like this, or is this COVID related?

OP
OP
DioMuller

DioMuller

Oct 25, 2017
Brazil
Ultraman Z 14

Sevenger ;_; Pretty cool episode. Bako doesn't do much, but when he does it's always amazing. One of the best characters, on a series that has Juggler. That's no easy feat.

The villain is finally getting interesting too. So, he's a parasitic lifeform and Juggler wants to, at least, see how it goes.

New OP and ED! I like when series do this playing the second part of the song thing on the second half of the series. Rider should do that again, and Sentai should start doing that, half of the full songs are pretty much unused on the series itself.

Some weird greenscreen shots here. I guess it's Corona's fault.

This was a pretty big arc. Is this the resolution, or is there more?

Orayn

Oct 25, 2017
Kamen Rider Saber 4
  • It was... Fine? Not blowing me away like Zero-One last year but I'm not about to drop it.
  • I think it's basically showed its hand already: The writing is trite, the characters are earnest but vaguely annoying, the stunts are decent now that we're past the first 2 eps being super CG heavy.
  • The Desast vs. Buster fight was really good.
  • It's kind of alarming that we essentially have super mode on episode 4, though with the modular costumes you could consider it more like OOO using a full combo for the first time.
    • It would be neat if it wound up even more like OOO by giving Touma access to several different super modes, contrasting with Zero-One's mostly vertical progression.
    • The way characters keep passing books back and forth has me crossing my fingers for this.

Harpoon

Oct 27, 2017
Dogengers

I did not expect to enjoy a series starring a pharmacy's superhero mascot as much as I did, but here we are!

I was pretty impressed with how well-done the costumes and action scenes were for an indie series (I do wonder if Yabai Kamen's LED were at all difficult eyes were to set up), and there was a lot of genuinely hilarious and sweet stuff in there. Some characters felt flatter than others, but most were pretty entertaining and memorable. Yabai Kamen is my favourite kind of villain, and KitaQman is best hero--I was a little surprised by how much I liked him by the end. Happy to hear there's a second season coming! I've gotta check out Akibaranger sometime, too.

Thanks for the post letting me know this show even existed in the first place WarRock.

I964PJb.png

Oct 25, 2017
Yes, yes Dogengers is pure fun, and the second season already started filming! Pretty much all of the local heroes in it have social media accounts and post pictures of them around Fukuoka, eating on local places and whatnot:

And for good measure, the OP singer:

Don't think it's happening but would pretty ace if they had the budget to at least cameo some other local heroes too, though at least Dangomushiman (?) seems to be part of the Secret Society of Darkness for season 2.

Harpoon

Oct 27, 2017
I didn't realize how big the local hero scene was in Japan. guess I have some new accounts to follow!

Birdie

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
There's so many places around my city I look at and go "yeah that'd be a cool place for a Toku fight".

Oct 25, 2017
There's so many cool suits that are just used for cosplaying and doing some light advertising here and there on the off hours of whoever designed it, it's a shame.

Wanderer5

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Somewhere.
Me think Espada is going to be one of my favorites. Hopefully the character is enjoyable, but damn is the suit so good looking.

modoversus

Oct 25, 2017
México
Just wanted to echo the positive responses to the latest Ultraman Z arc. Really well done, even the recap in the middle was good!

The moment when we don't know where we are, and then the ball lands...perfect.

Haven't had time to check Saber this week, and I should really start to catch up with Kirameiger.

Birdie

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Also I guess the "true combos" for the Riders are matching colors? Like it seems Blades is Lion, Peter Fan, and Unicorn, all blue.

Guess Storm Eagle is part of Saber's equuivalent "true" combo also being red and a yet unseen red colored Story Wonder Book.

chaobreaker

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Kiramager 25

This shis has never ceased to impress me with how consistently fun and solid it still is halfway through its run. Adding Yodona to the mix just seals it for: Kiramager is one the best Sentai series of its gime. I can't think of a better modern series to recommend in the future.

NeonZ

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
I thought Buster was likely to die early, but now I think it might be Kenzan considering the leaked magazine pages and his basic character bio. His suit looks oddly cheap compared to the other Riders, he considers strength to be justice and he's supposed to be super confident in his own fighting ability. All that seems to be setting up a situation where he gets in over his head and then is killed off.