• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

modoversus

Oct 25, 2017
México
I think that was just the regular suit, just with some sort of RGB light that makes it look like it glows or some sort of post-production effect, since the bike has the same colors, and the bike actually projects shadows on the right leg of the suit.

modoversus

Oct 25, 2017
México
The Toei youtube channel seems to have finally added community subtitles. Have not checked yet, but it seems it's just other languages for the first two episodes of some series. They seem to have added mainly portuguese, russian and spanish.

OP
OP
DioMuller

DioMuller

Oct 25, 2017
Brazil
Kiramai 23

So, Takamichi's MO is to lie to his adoptive family at every chance, huh? I love how the play switch their roles a lot, heh. Making the queen be a prop sure is a way to work with the COVID filming limitations.

So, we're getting the character songs just like Gekiranger, huh? Cool. I guess we already god Mabusheena's song this week, but I'm more curious at Muryou's song.

DragonSJG

Banned
Mar 4, 2019
Yeah Saber something about it feels too......out there for rider or something, I dunno, not vibing with it

jwk94

Oct 25, 2017
So I started watching Ultraman Z with ep 13. Perfect point I guess since it's a clip show. I'm assuming this episode is a clips how because of rona? Also, why didn't anyone tell me this show had a banger of a theme song?!

Harpoon

Oct 27, 2017
Kamen Rider Den-O

I've just finished the series (although of the movies, I've only watched the first). The ending didn't feel like it resolved as much as I thought it was going to, and I was never able to quite wrap my head around its time travel rules. Additionally, a deeper dive into the villain's motivations would have been nice (I had a similar problem with Gaoh in the movie).

However, despite all of that, I still enjoyed the series a lot. Almost the entire cast was lovable to the end, especially the Imagin; I can see why they still show up on a regular basis 13 years later! Ryotaro and Yuto both had some great character development, with the latter's in particular leading me to like him a lot more by the end of the show than when he first showed up. The suit and monster designs were also all pretty fantastic (some of my personal faves were Den-O's Rod form, Zeronos Altair and Zero, and the spider, wasp, and armadillo Imagin).

Overall, pretty happy that I went with this as my first Rider series, as it's helped convince me to go further down the Toku tunnel. I'll probably try Kuuga or W as my next Rider series. But before then... Dogengers!

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
Episode 3 of Saber feels so much more like a conventional Rider episode and it benefits considerably as a result. It helps they dramatically toned down the CG-laden battles for some actual location shoots for this week's fight sequences, and allowed for characters to greater interact on set before we're shoveled straight to the transformations. I'm loving Buster already. It's about damn time a father Rider shows up as a fairly normal bloke who cares deeply for his kid, unlike the list of prior father Riders who tend to be the worst.

While I remain very lukewarm on Saber's suit design and I genuinely don't like the goofy lion head protruding from Blades' chest, the Buster and Espada suit designs are absolutely top notch.

DragonSJG

Banned
Mar 4, 2019
Episode 3 of Saber feels so much more like a conventional Rider episode and it benefits considerably as a result. It helps they dramatically toned down the CG-laden battles for some actual location shoots for this week's fight sequences, and allowed for characters to greater interact on set before we're shoveled straight to the transformations. I'm loving Buster already. It's about damn time a father Rider shows up as a fairly normal bloke who cares deeply for his kid, unlike the list of prior father Riders who tend to be the worst.

While I remain very lukewarm on Saber's suit design and I genuinely don't like the goofy lion head protruding from Blades' chest, the Buster and Espada suit designs are absolutely top notch.
Calibur looks good too
and new villain looks dope

Oct 25, 2017
Calibur looks good too

Calibur doesn't look too bad, but the guy hasn't done much except stand in a dark, dingy room so I haven't been able to get as good a look of his full suit design. I think personally I'm a little tired of purple as the colour for an antagonistic Rider and we just had Horobi last season, so I haven't given Calibur much thought.

The new Saber triple form next week looks horrendous though.

OP
OP
DioMuller

DioMuller

Oct 25, 2017
Brazil
Ultraman Z - 13

...so, Z can't understand why Haruki feels bad for killing an innocent monster? That's not good for somebody who the job is to save people from them, lol. I think most Ultra have episodes where they have to help the monsters, but I'm happy they're going this way here, and doubling down on it.

Filler episode, mostly a clip show, but a really fun one. That's probably when the COVID limitations on filming hit or something. This is almost a fourth wall episode, the actors couldn't even say some of their lines without laughing, heh.

I had even forgotten about that other villain. I guess the writers did too, heh. Maybe it's something to do with the writer change?

OP
OP
DioMuller

DioMuller

Oct 25, 2017
Brazil
Saber 03

They are rushing this a lot. This episode we had three new characters presented, and one of them was there for like 4 seconds. I wonder if they're afraid the writer will just stop writing for a time again, lol.

The new Rider suit is kinda cheap too, but the idea for the character is cool. KING OF PARENTING.

Mei is a bit too noisy. I kinda know the thing this season is to be hammy, but eh. Like W's chief, it can get old fast.

modoversus

Oct 25, 2017
México
So the news of more Gaim motivated me to finally watch the Zangestu play. I feel it was very good, and I enjoyed it a lot!

I did not know what to expect so I was surprised to see that there was fighting, dance numbers, and dance numbers that turn into fighting.

Also, all the actors doing their best impressions of the original cast were good, but who plays Aym (Armored Rider Aym. Get it? lol) is spot on in sounding like Gaku Sano playing Kouta. Too bad their portrayal of not-Bravo is stuck on the earlier part of Gaim.

Harpoon

Oct 27, 2017
Not quite sure how I feel about Saber after watching the first three episodes, but Buster is pretty great.

Vareon

Oct 25, 2017
Hey I'm Daijinshi!

Okay bye

This has got to be the most awkward setup for the show. He just entered the room, opened a random book, spout one expository line and then left. Kento also entered the store just to introduce himself to Touma before he was cut and we got introduced to the actual focus character of the episode.

At least the conflict in this episode felt like an actual conflict, and the monster's danger is apparent. The shooting location is pretty cool too!

Oct 28, 2017
Not feeling Saber myself either. First two episodes were quite bad, and I don't like the transformation because its way too overblown and Sentai with the otherworldly nature of it. Means we might not get some creative transformations like we do with other Riders. Remember when a kick turned the belt for Zi-O and initiated the transformation? Amazing stuff.

GalaxyDive

Oct 25, 2017
Just because Saber has stock footage transformations doesn't mean we'll only ever see those. It doen't stop Sentai from doing some on-screen transformatios (especially when there's a changer conductive to more creative ones).

I am actually curious if there's a reason why Saber is leaning into those, though. Wonder if it's covid related in one way or another (i.e. not having to line up the shot with the face actor and suit actor most of the time allowing less contact between the face actors and the stunt unit or if it's a post-production slowdown buffer, especially with the series using more CG than usual otherwise).

NeonZ

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
Note that they have to reshoot the initial part most of the time due to the characters wearing different clothing. Production-wise the main benefit seems to be that they eat more time of the episode. Saber has a lot of stuff that only seems to be around to make the episodes smaller (stock footage transformations, which weren't even shortened for the 2nd time in the same episode last week, ending, narrator segments).

I think this all goes back to the show's producer Kazuhiro Takahashi. This is the same person who was frightened enough by some parents complaining about Ghost's portrayal in Drive's movie pre-screenings to rush to reformulate the tv show itself before episode 1 even aired (even though the Drive movie itself wasn't changed since that was under Ohmori). I wouldn't be surprised if he's also overly cautious about the COVID situation and pushed for this even though it has had much less visible effects on Zero-One and Kirameiger.

Last edited:

Birdie

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I only know who Daijinshi is thanks to the website saying he's like the gang's guy who fixes up the books.

Also stuff like each of the three types of Wonder Books (legend, animal, fairy tale) corresponds to a set slot in the Driver, and each of Calibur's goons also correspond to one of those three categories.

Since Espada is a fairy tale transformation foremost that means he can't use Peter Fantista or Jack and Beans for example.

GalaxyDive

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, I definitely think part of Saber's more fantastical tone is wanting something more upbeat given the circumstances.

jwk94

Oct 25, 2017
So I just started watching Kiramager. Ep 0 was great. Ep 1...red is annoying as fuck. Does he get better?

Also, does the girl red was drawing in ep 0 come back? Seems like she kinda got replaced by two other people?

GalaxyDive

Oct 25, 2017
So I just started watching Kiramager. Ep 0 was great. Ep 1...red is annoying as fuck. Does he get better?

Also, does the girl red was drawing in ep 0 come back? Seems like she kinda got replaced by two other people?
She comes back. Red is also... Red. But he's focused on faaaaaar less than most recent reds.

GalaxyDive

Oct 25, 2017
I will defend Kira, though it's nothing I'm going to prop up as ideal. The designs (both hero and mecha) are simply okay, I'm not really invested in the metaplot etc. I'm even a couple episodes behind at the moment, which has happened before, and I'll catch up in spurts. What it definitely has going are its characters and dynamics; I mentioned Arakawa because nobody puts together teams like he can where every character is engaging. So even if I'm not super dialed into the series, I'll watch it and always find the episodes fun and entertaining.

We also have the trademark for next year's Sentai (definitely feels early where Kira is because of the delays): Kikai Sentai Zenkaiger.

KingWillance

Oct 25, 2017
I absolutely adore Kirameiger and look forward to watching it every week. The main cast is uniformly strong and it treats stuff that could be written off as perfunctory (specifically the action, with extra props to the mech fights) with a lot of love and care. It also regularly introduces and resolves plot points before they have the opportunity to drag on. In addition, every main mech's introduction has been pure hype, the end of the recent two-parter especially.

Power Shot

Oct 27, 2017
I am only just now catching up on Kiramager (just caught episode 12) and I'm kind of blown away by how good the core cast is. Juru doesn't hog the spotlight all the time and everyone just seems to be having a good time. I absolutely loved episode 10, particularly the ending, which I wasn't expecting to see from a Sentai show.

MHWilliams

Oct 25, 2017
What? That's way early right?

Kikai and Zenkai points to vehicles again? that'd be weird back-to-back. Edge case is maybe the rangers themselves are machines? This is an anniversary series, yes?

I really like Ultraman and Kirameiger this season, and i'm lukewarm on Rider. About right for 2020.

NeonZ

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017

Nah, it's about the right date. It's just early as far as Kirameiger's episode numbering goes due to the almost two months break.

Kikai and Zenkai points to vehicles again? that'd be weird back-to-back. Edge case is maybe the rangers themselves are machines? This is an anniversary series, yes?

Yeah, it should be the next anniversary season.

alvmew

Nov 12, 2017
Thank God to both of these. Thank you! Guess I'll continue the season. How is it so far?

I absolutely adore this show and will defend it to the ends of the Earth.

It feels like ToQ done right, with maybe a dash of Go-On and some older Sentai (especially in the design philosophy), and is very much a case of a show with well-developed characters who I enjoy watching, even if the episode is technically "filler". Have felt like this show really knows how to make its filler still feel meaningful/enjoyable, and like others have said, it's been great at weaving in its plot and not letting things drag on for longer than they should.

GalaxyDive

Oct 25, 2017

Only a week earlier than Kira's trademark and about two weeks earlier than Ryusoul's. Just seems even earlier because of Kira's delays still having the numbered episodes in the mid-20s.

The name definitely points to vehicles/machines in some manner, but the emphasis could still be somewhere else. For that matter, Kira's main theme is definitely the gems and its own vehicle theme is pretty secondary to that, so whatever direction Zenkaiger trends in, there will probably be plenty of daylight between it and Kira. Also yes, it will be the 45th anniversary series - and considering that (particularly as far as sales go) Gokaiger remains one of the most successful Sentai of the last ~15 years and Zi-O is the most successful Rider ever, I definitely expect them to lean into the anniversary.

jwk94

Oct 25, 2017
I absolutely adore this show and will defend it to the ends of the Earth.

It feels like ToQ done right, with maybe a dash of Go-On and some older Sentai (especially in the design philosophy), and is very much a case of a show with well-developed characters who I enjoy watching, even if the episode is technically "filler". Have felt like this show really knows how to make its filler still feel meaningful/enjoyable, and like others have said, it's been great at weaving in its plot and not letting things drag on for longer than they should.
This sounds like a delight! Thanks for the impressions!

OP
OP
DioMuller

DioMuller

Oct 25, 2017
Brazil
Kiramai 24

A music episode! That was good and fun, if a bit filler-ish. Also, Pink is getting so many focus episodes - not that I'm complaining, she's good!

I really like how they are integrating the songs on the episodes now. If they do it for every episode, that'll be really impressive.

I don't like how O-T translated the band name, half of the joke was lost. :(

Sandfox

Oct 25, 2017
I don't see the annoying with Mei or Touma personally, especially with the most recent episode.

OP
OP
DioMuller

DioMuller

Oct 25, 2017
Brazil
Touma is ok in my books. Not my favorite, not that bad.

Mei is loud and annoying at times. She has some great scenes, but most of the times I feel the scenes would be better without her.

Pluto

Oct 25, 2017
Kikai and Zenkai points to vehicles again?
It doesn't, Kikai means machine world and that could be anything, the mecha Could be robotic animals, or like you said the rangers themselves are robots or cyborgs, or it could refer to a digital world aka a world inside a machine.
Zenkai is written in katakana so we can only guess what it means, it can mean "full throttle" or "full force" but also "last time" (as in previously), the latter meaning could refer to time travel for example if they revisit previous teams ... who knows?