• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

TheAggroCraig

One Winged Slayer
Nov 6, 2017
I can't say I'm the biggest fan of the Genm subs (gave me "Keikaku means plan" vibes) but I'll deal with it assuming I stick with the show. The first episode didn't wow me or anything, but I do like the main suit a bit more after seeing it in action, I'll give it a few episodes though before passing too much judgment though.

ValKiryuSonicEX

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Watching it now, I'm not a fan of some choices by Genm, but they're still better than TVN, I know that's an old low bar but I still standby that.

OP
OP
DioMuller

DioMuller

Oct 25, 2017
Brazil
Saber 01

That was... a weird, but kinda promissing first episode. Hopefully the writer can redeem himself with Saber, but worst case scenario we'll at least have good memes.

...and either sentai is dead next year, or it'll change a lot. Well, let's wait and see, I guess.

RangerBAD

Oct 25, 2017
Saber 01

That was... a weird, but kinda promissing first episode. Hopefully the writer can redeem himself with Saber, but worst case scenario we'll at least have good memes.

...and either sentai is dead next year, or it'll change a lot. Well, let's wait and see, I guess.

What's going to happen to Sentai shows?

Birdie

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Also fuck that ending scene with him "riding the lion" had me in stiches.

That's like Supergirl CG Threadworthy.

I'm calling Blades the new Onari because he's already cracked me up.

modoversus

Oct 25, 2017
México
I have to echo the comments about Genm. It's not the style I like, but as has been said before, it's way better than TVN.

Also fuck that ending scene with him "riding the lion" had me in stiches.

That's like Supergirl CG Threadworthy.

I'm calling Blades the new Onari because he's already cracked me up.

And then they made sure to show the scene as many times as possible LOL.

Birdie

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Everyone in this episode seemed like they were acting super hard...Touma's surprisingly hot-blooded, Mei screaming, Blades' eyebrows, and as Slayven mentioned the one villain who looked like he was on coke.

NeonZ

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
Bandai's financial expectations for Sentai this FY are really low (5.5 billion, down from the 8 billion expectations for last year - they only hit 6 billions though). This should include the first quarter of the next series too, so it doesn't seem like they're really expecting any recovery from the franchise at this point. It's just a matter of how low it can go while still being worth it to sponsor the series (and it's basically all carried by Bandai).

jwk94

Oct 25, 2017
I look fowrard to all the riders transforming at the same time while we get paragraphs of dialogue from the driver.

Mei is giving me Akiko flashbacks. I personally didn't mind Akiko so I can probably stomach Mei even if she stays this way throughout the whole show.
Watching right now. Akiko would've hit Touma over the head with a slipper the second this man decided his plans were more important than writing the book lol

Last edited:

NeonZ

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
Does Bandai still include Power Rangers in their Sentai financial reports/expectations?

Nope. They still call it Power Rangers in the English report, but they cut more than half of the overall group numbers after they sold the Power Rangers license, so it's clear they aren't getting anything from that anymore.

Edit: Actually, I just checked the newest report and they outright stopped calling it Power Rangers. It's just Super Sentai now even in English. They still did it up to last year though, when they had already sold the license for a while.

Last edited:

modoversus

Oct 25, 2017
México
Add me to the list of people that feels that the ending should be the opening, and vice versa. It's like they comisioned two openings, then went for the one that does not mention the title character so it may do better on the radio/singles.

ValKiryuSonicEX

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
So someone found the location of the bookstore...turns out it's actually a Barbershop:

AF1QipOWjaLOWNE6jtCCYCELL6uN1ZZ1KK04YH0HdAbe=w600-h0

Vareon

Oct 25, 2017
This might be the season where I'm feeling Sentai and Ultraman, not Kamen Rider.

Saber was... badly paced with hamfisted dialog and characterization. It's odd how much more impressive Zero-One's premier was. And the Sentai feeling was strong. Why would you want to make your better performing brand look like its worse-performing sibling?

I don't know if it's because of the subs but there are some very clunky lines in this episode, like how the first dialogue between Touma and Mei are basically them explaining each other to the viewers, or that the MOTW had to stop and explain what they are doing because they're just randomly shooting buildings. The cuts to the enemies's scene were also very abrupt. It makes me wonder if something impacted this last minute.

Bandai's financial expectations for Sentai this FY are really low (5.5 billion, down from the 8 billion expectations for last year - they only hit 6 billions though). This should include the first quarter of the next series too, so it doesn't seem like they're really expecting any recovery from the franchise at this point. It's just a matter of how low it can go while still being worth it to sponsor the series (and it's basically all carried by Bandai).

All these years I feel Kamen Rider and Sentai are struggling to justify existence today. They are stubbornly clinging to a format (2 shows weekly, all year long, spring and summer movies, no breaks, etc) while all the other shows of their age are either dead or reduced to a very specific niche. Unlike Ultraman they're reluctant to try other format and international partnerships. This is on top of a shrinking target audience to boot.

Oct 25, 2017
I watched the first episode of Saber earlier today and I literally can't remember what happened. I also almost called it Blade in this post

Good start!

Sandfox

Oct 25, 2017
I don't know if it's because of the subs but there are some very clunky lines in this episode, like how the first dialogue between Touma and Mei are basically them explaining each other to the viewers, or that the MOTW had to stop and explain what they are doing because they're just randomly shooting buildings. The cuts to the enemies's scene were also very abrupt. It makes me wonder if something impacted this last minute.

All these years I feel Kamen Rider and Sentai are struggling to justify existence today. They are stubbornly clinging to a format (2 shows weekly, all year long, spring and summer movies, no breaks, etc) while all the other shows of their age are either dead or reduced to a very specific niche. Unlike Ultraman they're reluctant to try other format and international partnerships. This is on top of a shrinking target audience to boot.
Kamen Rider is doing actually doing better than ever.

Sentai is the one struggling and even then they've likely lowered expectations based on what we've heard.

MHWilliams

Oct 25, 2017

Kamen Rider is doing so well that I'm constantly shocked Toei isn't trying another full on Western push for kids.

PhoenixAKG

Aug 14, 2019
Saw Saber. I see the Sentai vibes. The dialogue felt cheesy and awkward, and the acting was a bit much and the over-top which made it a bit obnoxious. The action was good, but it seems a bit too kiddy akin to Sentai.

OP
OP
DioMuller

DioMuller

Oct 25, 2017
Brazil
Ultraman Z - 11

Haruki doing that exposition was very good! And hey, Dad episode that also explains why Haruki is the way he is! I like that there were no Deus Ex Machinas or anything.

They should get a second soundclip for the Red King hahaha

Oct 25, 2017
Okay, now that I've finally got access to the subs for the 1st episode of Saber.

- I have no idea what to make of Tassel. I imagine he's going to be an actual character and not simply an expository narrative framing device, because he could have easily been a dramatic voiceover and not an overly whimsical cartoon character.

- You know, for a show all about fictional novels with an author for a main Rider, the writing is clumsy and amateurish. You can do exposition so much more naturally than have Mei explain who Touma is to Touma in a room with a bunch of kids who likely all know who he is.

- Oh, you guys weren't kidding. One of the Megiddo trio definitely looks like he's coked up.

- I'm sorry, Toei. But you can't convince me for a second that these characters are actually standing in a block of a city in the middle of a bright, colourful fantasy world. Nor does it remotely resemble Touma's pop-up book scenery.

- I second the comments about Rintaro's actor's eyebrows. In fact, his acting in general is peculiar, despite not being given much to do in this episode. I think it's the uncanny way he emotes and gives off a dead-eyed stare. Here's hoping the actor is more familiar with the role as the show goes on.

- Sure, the show is already a cartoon. Why not have him kick a fire hydrant and shoot water into that penis-looking thing in the background that has almost certainly already sucked other people in. So has our hero drowned the people inside?

- You can tell this was definitely written by Ghost's writer. That whole exchange between Touma and the Golem Megiddo regarding the purpose of books is such a heavy-handed beat-you-over-the-head way of positing a message that it reminds me so much of Takeru lecturing his opponent about the infinite potential of humanity.

- I suppose the advantage of stock footage as well as both an opening & ending theme sequence is it shaves off some of the runtime of the episode and it's less to have to shoot during a pandemic.

- That fight was going so well until they had to bring in the CG sequence. It's awful. The models are clearly all low quality but they attempt to hide it with copious shadows while dialing the contrast up to 11. There's also the fact that Saber isn't even fighting anything - the entire sequence is pointless and looks terrible. After Zero-One spoiled us with sleek aesthetics and fluid, clean, inventive fights, it's jarring to now transition into watching this visual mess.

Yeah I don't know. Nothing here made me excited for more. I'll stick around for maybe a few more episodes and see if it improves, but a show with this writer is already on probation.

gryvan

Brooklyn Rage
Oct 25, 2017
Saber 01 - that is a LOT of CGI like wow...is this the most i've seen in a kamen rider series so far in a single episode?

Oct 25, 2017

ValKiryuSonicEX

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
So watching Genm's V2 of Saber Ep.1, it works a lot better with more of the straight forward translations. I'd be fine with this going forward for the rest of the series.

Oct 25, 2017
got around to catching up on zero one... and it turned out a bit better than I expected even if it felt a bit rushed at the end, which was expected. Finale battle was solid though. Nice Unlimited Blade Works going on. Think the series overall had some really great fight choreography, especially for KR.

Saber 1... yeah this does give me a bit of magiranger vibes, also did not expect the fight choreography to be 'sped up' like this. Wonder if that will be a common thing?

Might watch a few eps... maybe.

Haven't really felt in the mood for toku these days, but then ive been binging batman animated series, so i guess that kinda is tangent lol

Vareon

Oct 25, 2017
- That fight was going so well until they had to bring in the CG sequence. It's awful. The models are clearly all low quality but they attempt to hide it with copious shadows while dialing the contrast up to 11. There's also the fact that Saber isn't even fighting anything - the entire sequence is pointless and looks terrible. After Zero-One spoiled us with sleek aesthetics and fluid, clean, inventive fights, it's jarring to now transition into watching this visual mess.

I'm very convinced that the CG sequence is a completely unrelated sequence produced for a different purpose then shoved into the episode. Saber is slashing r,andom rocks, the villain is on an entirely different cut, the cut to the sequence is jarring, basically you can cut it and nothing of value was lost but it looks cool for the TV series. Pretty sure they'll reuse the giant sword for another purpose later.

One thing I like is the color of the show's fantasy world, though. Love 'em some bright colors.

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
even with Subs i don't know what the badguys in saber's plan is

NeonZ

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
even with Subs i don't know what the badguys in saber's plan is

The world was created by a book and they're creating a new book that will allow them to create a new world. Apparently even with the monster defeated their machine finishes up writing that part so they can proceed their plans.

Last edited:

KingWillance

Oct 25, 2017
Touma's fashion was absolutely buckwild and I really hope that he doesn't get a 'uniform' mid-series--I want to constantly be surprised by how how he chooses to be a rotisserie shithead.

In love with Blades's eyebrow acting though

Slayven

Oct 25, 2017
I like Saber's music but KR needs a banger for fight music

ΑGITΩ

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Finally just watched Ep1 of Saber

.... I think Im out. Everything just seemed bad.
CG was all over the place
The book effects
The Narrator
Wtf are the villains doing
Not vibing with the lead or any of the cast for that matter
An actual outro?

Outside of the Suit Designs (I guess), I was feeling checked out all episode.

jwk94

Oct 25, 2017
RUmor has it that these are the Dino Fury rangers. Green will be a girl and we'll have our first African American sixth ranger! If this really is the final live action season, I'm hoping Red is either the asian dude or one of the girls.

Slayven

Oct 25, 2017
RUmor has it that these are the Dino Fury rangers. Green will be a girl and we'll have our first African American sixth ranger! If this really is the final live action season, I'm hoping Red is either the asian dude or one of the girls.

Damn Japan had a white sixth ranger befoer we had a black one.