• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

PhoenixAKG

Aug 14, 2019
Zero One was good overall in my book. Good beginning and ending, and a meh middle though I didn't mind it too much. The twist of Aruto being Ark One was really cool and interesting but I think more time was needed on it but that's Covid's fault. I would've liked to see him develop a dark reflection of his relationship with Izu with Azu. But yeah I agree that Yua was wasted and sidelined, Fuwa became a nothing character once his arc was resolved, Naki and Ikazuchi became useless(sucks we didn't see more of their forms), Gai's redemption was rushed and feels unearned and him jobbing got old after a while. That's not even mentioning the rapper HumaGear(ugh). I did like Aruto and Fuwa's development as well as the Vice-President's honestly. Horobi felt boring but cool at first but the last arc really made him shine and I like how Jin progressed and came back with a pretty dope form. The designs are good and sleek and there is no bad form. Zero Two was disappointing as it did jack but that's due to Covid primarily. Still a good series in the end.

ValKiryuSonicEX

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I think they're just pulling a Wizard and are just saving Aruto's moving on as a plot of the movie, there is no way that plot point wasn't in the plans with or without COVID screwing things up.

Or the original Izu comes back somehow and shenanigans happen, it wouldn't surprise me either.

MHWilliams

Oct 25, 2017
Ready for the movie form, Kamen Rider Zero-One Izu Hopper.
9cgy9wt9syp41.jpg

ValKiryuSonicEX

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Would it have been really that bad to delay Saber's premiere a month? those 4 episodes might have helped, but oh boy I really hope they don't try that type of 5 Jobs arc again because of increased viewing during that period.

Sandfox

Oct 25, 2017
Would it have been really that bad to delay Saber's premiere a month? those 4 episodes might have helped, but oh boy I really hope they don't try that type of 5 Jobs arc again because of increased viewing during that period.
That would mess with their show and toy schedule. It's easier for them to just cut the current show and move on to the new money maker.

ValKiryuSonicEX

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
That would mess with their show and toy schedule. It's easier for them to just cut the current show and move on to the new money maker.

I get that, but there is a pandemic going around though, some leeway would've been understandable as even bigger productions are in limbo due to the situation.

So they had to cram 14 worth of story content into 4 or 10 episodes?
more like 10 into 6, they lost 4 and already had 4 written, which means the final 6 had to:
giphy.gif

Vareon

Oct 25, 2017
Spoiler on 01 45

The show really missed their chance to name the new Izu Nizu, huh.

I get that, but there is a pandemic going around though, some leeway would've been understandable as even bigger productions are in limbo due to the situation.

They're not going to delay the start of a new campaign just to improve the writing quality of the current season, the bottom line is still toy sales. They also have multiple partners that are involved and scheduling becomes much more rigid. Kamen Rider Eden appeared for no reason in the finale probably just so that they can begin selling his toys (beginning with the So-Do figures).

Last edited:

Haloid1177

Oct 25, 2017
Zero One reminds me a lot of Kabuto honestly. The highs were great, and hit some moments that I'd say were some of the best in the whole franchise, but it got bogged down by the horrible competition arc, similar to Kabuto getting weighed down by the Duke arc and the cooking episodes. I do think ep 44 might have been one of the best Rider episodes I've ever seen. The last arc actually made me like Aruto a lot more too. Also Horobi is like insanely OP for a dude with two forms, kinda crazy.

S: Ex-Aid, Build, Drive
A: Zero One, Kabuto, Ryuki
B: Fourze, Gaim, W, Amazons, OOO
C: Wizard
D: Decade
F:

Oct 25, 2017
Zero-One final thoughts

Great ideas for the final arc. Didn't work at all for me, unfortunately, which is something I can say about the entire show. So what is Zero-One really about? That Humagears are no different than we, are capable of ascending to a level of consciousness and self-awareness akin to that of humans, and deserve the rights that come from obtaining singularity? Then surely Izu 2.0 should be her own Humagear, independent from that of the previous Izu, and able to forge her own identity and personality based on a set of experiences dramatically different from that of the original. That Aruto builds 2.0 simply to force her into the mold of the old Izu flies against the show's purported theme. If they wanted Zero-One to be about something, they can't preach the message that Humagears are analogous to humans & should be able to grow and live freely as self-realised individuals while at the same time still portraying them as being at the beck and call of the whims of their human masters.

I know people rave about this final arc, but it's a thumbs down from me too. I like the idea on paper of simmering malice manifesting and exploding from even the most unexpected of people, and doomed to create a cycle of violence where an eye for an eye blinds us all, and perhaps this could have worked in a different show. Any other show besides the one where all Humagears bar Izu & Wazu can easily be rebuilt and are never truly gone. Horobi's paternal emotions flying into a rage and pummelling Aruto for killing Jin falls absolutely flat for me when: a) it was clearly accidental; and b) we've already seen Jin die once before and be brought back. He's brought back yet again at the end! Outside of Izu & Wazu, the show placed no limitations on the ease with which a Humagear can be restored after its destruction, so all this melodrama about Jin being killed is unearned, and the show's core central message about Humagears being analogous to humans is thoroughly undermined yet again.

Overall? Zero-One is a huge disappointment and would have still been a disappointment to me without the pandemic. It's not exactly an awful show either, but it's a show I'll only revisit for the excellent directing work and the fight choreography. Because goddamn. It has some of the most fluid, more inventive fights I've seen in recent Rider. Ol'Takaiwa as a slower, but more calculating and measured Horobi is perfect, and allows the other characters to be a lot more showy and acrobatic. Otherwise I think it's abundantly clear by now what I think about the abject waste of time that was the competition arc, and the shitty waste of characters such as Yua, Ikazuchi and Naki.

EDIT: Reading some of the behind the scenes stuff is some eye opening stuff. That Omori loved the competition arc is enough to create a migraine as is without also reading that ratings actually went up. I can't imagine people were tuning in regularly to see Gai blatantly screw the rules and make Aruto look like an ineffectual idiot. Were people tuning in for the J-drama elements like the woman in love and the asshole whale Raider guy who was selling houses?

Last edited:

NeonZ

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
I know people rave about this final arc, but it's a thumbs down from me too. I like the idea on paper of simmering malice manifesting and exploding from even the most unexpected of people, and doomed to create a cycle of violence where an eye for an eye blinds us all, and perhaps this could have worked in a different show. Any other show besides the one where all Humagears bar Izu & Wazu can easily be rebuilt and are never truly gone. Horobi's paternal emotions flying into a rage and pummelling Aruto for killing Jin falls absolutely flat for me when: a) it was clearly accidental; and b) we've already seen Jin die once before and be brought back. He's brought back yet again at the end! Outside of Izu & Wazu, the show placed no limitations on the ease with which a Humagear can be restored after its destruction, so all this melodrama about Jin being killed is unearned, and the show's core central message about Humagears being analogous to humans is thoroughly undermined yet again.

Horobi was meant to be wrong and hypocritical in the final arc though. He kills Izu and shrugs off while talking about destroying humanity to eliminate the source of malice. Jin's death is just another excuse for him to keep on in the same path, not the reason he did it in the first place. He feared dropping the only thing he knew. And to make it even more obvious he was accusing Aruto of being Ark incarnate while working with Ark on the side in this final arc itself. None of his speeches were genuine. They were just him fearing change (within himself).

He outright talks in the final battle about how it was all him lashing out against humans since it's due to them that he started having feelings and he feared those feelings would get in his way.

Last edited:

Birdie

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
That CG in the Saber preview has me worried...

I have very low expectations for some reason.

Sou Da

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The second Izu is the dumbest shit they could have pulled, I would have come out of the ending with some positive feelings towards the show if not for that stunt. Just straight up undermining their own themes for crossover reset status quo.

Sandfox

Oct 25, 2017

I wouldn't really read into any CG we see at the beginning of Rider series. They always try something the beginning of the series when they have budget and then go more traditional a few weeks later.

Orayn

Oct 25, 2017

Some of the full CG sequences looked significantly better than what the series usually has. I think they must have just thrown it together in Unreal 4 or something and reaped the benefits of that.

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
I'm gonna spend years wondering what the second half of Zero-One would've been like if it were not for corona and that sucks.
Honestly I think it helped them. Toku is histortically terrible on the back end. I think it forced them to be run leaner and meaner, focusing on the characters instead of some inane plot by the big bad

Power Shot

Oct 27, 2017
I can easily see how the end of Zero-One could have been bloated. Ark could have taken forever and pulled a Chronos, jobbing endlessly to Zero-Two. I think two more episodes would have really helped, particularly with the rushing at the end with the HumaGear rights movement, but on the whole Kamen Rider tends to put a lot of fat in areas that need to be lean and the conclusion is usually one of those places.

Slayven

Oct 25, 2017
I can easily see how the end of Zero-One could have been bloated. Ark could have taken forever and pulled a Chronos, jobbing endlessly to Zero-Two. I think two more episodes would have really helped, particularly with the rushing at the end with the HumaGear rights movement, but on the whole Kamen Rider tends to put a lot of fat in areas that need to be lean and the conclusion is usually one of those places.
It think that 30 to 40ish ep range is when they just throw shit against the way and spin wheels. Then it's "oh shit we got to wrap this up"

KingWillance

Oct 25, 2017
Apparently Ark-One being Aruto was come to during the hiatus and that final conflict elevated the last arc really highly in my esteem. If it's true I really think the hiatus helped more than hurt

Orayn

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, post-hiatus Zero-One was pretty great. Zero-Two's presence was cut a little short but we got a very intense, focused finale lacking most of the usual shenanigans.

If this was a normal year, I think the new guy from Zaia would turn out to be the real big bad all along, become Ark-Two or something, and reveal that he manipulated every side from the beginning to take over the world with HumaGears.

NeonZ

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
Ark-One has a big Zaia spec emblem on his chest, but that ended up completely unrelated to anything. So, yeah, I could see that being the original scenario.

Some of the full CG sequences looked significantly better than what the series usually has. I think they must have just thrown it together in Unreal 4 or something and reaped the benefits of that.
I think they might actually be using this "live z studio" that they advertised a few months ago which allows them to apply lighting and check the scenes with digital backgrounds in real time.

www.youtube.com

Toei Zukun Lab| LiveZ デモムービー

過去から現在、そして未来へ‬‪デジタルの力によって進化していく激動の時代をサムライが渡り歩く...!?‬‪東映 ツークン研究所がバーチャルプロダクション機能の一つとして開発中の"LiveZ studio"(ライブズ スタジオ)を活用した作例ムービー!‬‪------------------------------...

Saber's actor also mentioned in an interview that he has shot many green screen scenes and it feels weird to act without any kind of physical background.

Last edited:

Orayn

Oct 25, 2017
Wasn't aware of the Live Z Studio thing. I suppose that's the way the whole genre is going with the increased limits on where and when they can film. That, or actually having to go either overseas or to much more obscure locations.

ValKiryuSonicEX

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I'm gonna spend years wondering what the second half of Zero-One would've been like if it were not for corona and that sucks.

Yea the focused ending was okay, but a number of things felt dropped due to rushing things out, at this point the movie might bring this stuff back and address it, but we'll see.

Yeah, post-hiatus Zero-One was pretty great. Zero-Two's presence was cut a little short but we got a very intense, focused finale lacking most of the usual shenanigans.

If this was a normal year, I think the new guy from Zaia would turn out to be the real big bad all along, become Ark-Two or something, and reveal that he manipulated every side from the beginning to take over the world with HumaGears.

Yea, I could see that scenario, hell it could still be the case for the movie, Williamson could be Eden's secret backer.

Neo0mj

Oct 26, 2017
Ark-One has a big Zaia spec emblem on his chest, but that ended up completely unrelated to anything. So, yeah, I could see that being the original scenario.

I was so sure it would either posses Gai or he would take over it because of that, especially since Gai more or less created it so they had a connection.

Slayven

Oct 25, 2017
Saber is fucking with the itch i get when the toy is way disproportionate compared to the show version.

Orayn

Oct 25, 2017
Thinking back on the finale a bit, I believe we're going to see Izu's memory restored somehow in a movie or V-cinema. They wouldn't have put in the scene of Aruto trying to access that Progrise key otherwise.

Maybe a secret backup that he has to physically pry from satellite debris or something.

NeonZ

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
Thinking back on the finale a bit, I believe we're going to see Izu's memory restored somehow in a movie or V-cinema. They wouldn't have put in the scene of Aruto trying to access that Progrise key otherwise.

They might have placed that scene there just to clear that plothole (if the Izu key exists, why can't she be brought back?). They showed that key back when she was deactivated.

Slayven

Oct 25, 2017
They might have placed that scene there just to clear that plothole (if the Izu key exists, why can't she be brought back?). They showed that key back when she was deactivated.
Her and her brother's memory set to not backup because of what they new about Zea and the Zero Driver

NeonZ

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
Her and her brother's memory set to not backup because of what they new about Zea and the Zero Driver

Yeah, I know that, but then they showed that the Izu key existed, so some people were questioning that (Can't he just use the key to bring her back?). That scene in the final episode felt like it was just thrown in to say "no, the key doesn't work".

Power Shot

Oct 27, 2017
It appears that Vulcan's suit actor will be taking over for Saber, so it seems the cast will be rotating based on the type of character required. Good stuff, in my opinion, which will hopefully keep the choreography from feeling stale.

OP
OP
DioMuller

DioMuller

Oct 25, 2017
Brazil
Kiramai 21

Heck yeah plastic chair destruction is back. Didn't expect the fishing episode of all things to be a two-parter, and yet, here we are.

So, the witch and/or her sister are coming back as commanders, right? Simple suits, but the masks are too detailed to be used only once.

Vareon

Oct 25, 2017
Damn not ready for today's Ultraman Z.

On a completely unrelated note I want SHF Gamma Future.

6ld8f2Z.png