• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Orayn

Oct 25, 2017
Random guess: Aruto will sacrifice himself to quell Horobi's rage. Horobi will become Zero-One in his honor.
I really can't see them doing that without a twist. Maybe an "ascend to a higher plane of existence" type angle and reveal at the very end that he and Izu are together in the cloud. They can come back in HumaGear bodies for future movies and stuff.

OP
OP
DioMuller

DioMuller

Oct 25, 2017
Brazil
01 - 44

Very unrealistic, the policeman thought twice before shooting.

Anyway, that was a *great* episode. Holy hell, great directing work again. Can't wait for the last episode next week.

Oct 30, 2017
I'm running out of Mill Creek Ultraman sets.
Really hoping we see Leo and Taro make it over in the near future.
My kids grew out of super sentai and precure pretty quick, but damn if they don't shut up, sit down, and get their faces out of their phones when Ultraman is on! It's quite surprising actually.

jwk94

Oct 25, 2017
I'm running out of Mill Creek Ultraman sets.
Really hoping we see Leo and Taro make it over in the near future.
My kids grew out of super sentai and precure pretty quick, but damn if they don't shut up, sit down, and get their faces out of their phones when Ultraman is on! It's quite surprising actually.
Why do they love ultra so much? I still can't believe they're releasing this so fast i have up on catching up lol.

Vareon

Oct 25, 2017
I want a Kamen Rider final battle where the titular Kamen Rider ended up using a long forgotten gimmick from earlier series. Like Aruto defeating Horobi with Freezing Bear because scorpions don't like the cold.

Birdie

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Damn Kamen Rider Buster seems hype.

Also just hit me we have multiple initial Riders yet they didn't attempt a woman Rider again. I feel Toei's is doing that thing where they go "oh well the audience didn't like Valkyrie y'see!" even though they fucked everything up.

Also one of Saber's forms is a hedgehog. Is that a reference to like the Hedgehog's Dilemma? Weird choice.

WillyFive

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I want a Kamen Rider final battle where the titular Kamen Rider ended up using a long forgotten gimmick from earlier series. Like Aruto defeating Horobi with Freezing Bear because scorpions don't like the cold.

Is that like the Beast Morphers defeating their big bad by using
RPM weapons
?

Orayn

Oct 25, 2017
The movie hook made me groan a bit, but they have to sell it somehow, it probably got both delayed and retooled due to Covid stopping when they'd usually film it in the late spring.

GalaxyDive

Oct 25, 2017
Damn Kamen Rider Buster seems hype.

Also just hit me we have multiple initial Riders yet they didn't attempt a woman Rider again. I feel Toei's is doing that thing where they go "oh well the audience didn't like Valkyrie y'see!" even though they fucked everything up.

Also one of Saber's forms is a hedgehog. Is that a reference to like the Hedgehog's Dilemma? Weird choice.
Yua's actress seemed to have gotten some positive press attention early on. Toei usually likes stuff like that, but yeah, Valkyrie stuff may not have sold well. It's not going to be entirely cut and dry, here though. In Valkyrie's case, she shared a transformation device with Vulcan. But now it seems like they're pushing unique transformation devices for each of the extra riders after Saber and Blades. That's going to preclude a female Rider if they want to sell new roleplay toys with each Rider

On the latter, Toei just seems to like hedgehogs. Build had one too.

NeonZ

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
There are still some unrevealed Riders for the first quarter itself. Still, I think Valkyrie was clearly a case of a Bandai concept that the show's staff was begrudgingly forced to take on. She's widely pushed as third Rider in promotional images, but in the show itself they quickly sidelined her after the first arc. I also doubt there were sales issues since Bandai used Yua to advertise the Raid Riser, which would have been odd if they considered her merch a sales failure. It's also pretty telling that the show got several last minute forms, which are more influenced by the tv staff itself than Bandai, and none of those went for Yua.

Last edited:

GalaxyDive

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, as far as Zero-One itself goes, that may very well be a factor. There unfortunately needs to be an advocate for a prominent female Rider etc. Urobuchi obviously was down with Marika. Even if Yoko spent the back half of the series as The #1 Banana Fangirl, she was still one of the last Riders standing.

Even in say, Kyoryuger's case, with only one female in the core cast, apparently Koichi needed to lobby just to get Yayoi, and that was still compromised with debuting Violet as Dr. Ulshade.

jwk94

Oct 25, 2017
So how's hibiki? It's the only pre-decade Heisei season I haven't seen. From what I remember, it wasn't originally supposed to be a rider season, but they made it into one? Is that good or bad?

Vareon

Oct 25, 2017
So how's hibiki? It's the only pre-decade Heisei season I haven't seen. From what I remember, it wasn't originally supposed to be a rider season, but they made it into one? Is that good or bad?

It's a very low-key series, almost a slice-of-life drama. It's most similar to Kuuga in this regard, but without the police mysteries. The show is framed through the eye of a middle-schooler seeing an older, experienced Rider, and the plot moves forward not by unraveling the mysteries of the bad guys (though it's there) but through the development of said middle schooler and the characters around him, since mentorship is a prominent theme. The second half of the series is where it course-corrected into a usual Heisei Rider series and your mileage may vary.

It's pretty clear why it's not popular with pretty much everybody at that time but having rewatched it recently it's still my favorite Rider series.

NeonZ

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
My biggest issue with Hibiki is actually how badly the 2nd staff misread the mysteries of the show. The reveals after episode 29 don't line up with the build up in the first half at all (The initial producer and writer leave after episode 29) and that had nothing to do with what caused the staff changes, so it was just Inoue completely misreading all the show's build up.

jwk94

Oct 25, 2017
It's a very low-key series, almost a slice-of-life drama. It's most similar to Kuuga in this regard, but without the police mysteries. The show is framed through the eye of a middle-schooler seeing an older, experienced Rider, and the plot moves forward not by unraveling the mysteries of the bad guys (though it's there) but through the development of said middle schooler and the characters around him, since mentorship is a prominent theme. The second half of the series is where it course-corrected into a usual Heisei Rider series and your mileage may vary.

It's pretty clear why it's not popular with pretty much everybody at that time but having rewatched it recently it's still my favorite Rider series.
That first half sounds really interesting. I'll give it a shot. Thanks!

Dec 21, 2017

I'm going to disagree with Vareon. It's BAD. Having seen all the Rider seasons, it's easily the lowest out of them all. Well, maybe not Masked Rider bad...

But Personally, i'd sooner rewatch both Ghost and Wizard than Hibiki. It might be the latter half just shitting on the first half that does it for me, but I disliked it.

Though Vareon's not wrong in his description, i'd say at least give it a shot at worst.

OP
OP
DioMuller

DioMuller

Oct 25, 2017
Brazil
Hibiki first half is very unique, and one of my favorite early-Heisei series.
Second half still has some of the good, but shits on many of the cool elements, and adds some bad ones.

01 - 45

That was a good episode. I liked the resolution and most of the characters' resolutions. Even Gai, I can accept. Also, 01 now has... four final forms? Heh.

Oh, and I don't care much for the movie thing, but I'll watch it.

And now, of course...

01 - The series!

This was a great series. I'd put it bellow Build and Ex-Aid, but just a bit, because of the middle section that kinda dragged itself. It did, however, stick the landing way, WAY better than Ex-Aid. Great final arc, one of the greatest maybe.

Having Horobi/Arc as the final villain was a great choice - it felt closer to something like Kuuga, where the final battle was way more personal than most "this is the final boss" battles.

Gai was the weak point in the series. They should've "redeemed" him way earlier. Some things were understandably rushed, but I feel most of it closed really well. Now let's see if the movie doesn't destroy it all.

Orayn

Oct 25, 2017
Is it really a new final form? Yeah the key and announcer voices are different but the suit and abilities are mostly the same.
Yeah I wouldn't necessarily count it as one. The Wiki will probably add it to the list of super modes but it's just the original suit with the abilities of every form after it. (Which was amazing, by the way, I loved seeing the anime style super speed from Shining again.)

Neo0mj

Oct 26, 2017
Yeah I wouldn't necessarily count it as one. The Wiki will probably add it to the list of super modes but it's just the original suit with the abilities of every form after it. (Which was amazing, by the way, I loved seeing the anime style super speed from Shining again.)

The final episode had pretty good action in general, better than what you'd expect from a show like this.

MHWilliams

Oct 25, 2017
Great action, but the run up to the final was a bit of a mess, so it blunts the (Rising) impact.

Some of that is blamed on the pandemic rushing things, but the mistakes started in the Thouser arc, which was before that.

Orayn

Oct 25, 2017
Great action, but the run up to the final was a bit of a mess, so it blunts the (Rising) impact.

Some of that is blamed on the pandemic rushing things, but the mistakes started in the Thouser arc, which was before that.
Yeah the Thouser arc is feeling like a huge misstep in hindsight. It's nothing like the middle section of Build where it slows down a bit but they go hard on the lore and drama. We got some cool fights out of it but each episode did way too little to advance the main plot.

ValKiryuSonicEX

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Kiva was a lot worse than Zero-One, but anyways, Zero-One had its problems mid-way and unfortunately, Covid did the show no favors. While the real finale won't be for a long time, the ending was good, even if everyone else just got sidelined and there are some unresolved issues.

NeonZ

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
It's bizarre to me that in the beginning of the show they seemed very focused on making something that could stand out as the start of a new era, from the show itself to the toy designs but soon the tv staff by themselves completely derailed things into a lengthy professional collaboration initiative (the job competition arc was as big as it was because they got many offers for professional collaborations and apparently the production enjoyed working with them). The break and rushed ending didn't help, but the core issue of the show was in the middle when many elements of the setting got scrapped to force the job competition arc and several character arcs were frozen during that too.

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
Kiva tossed a bunch of shit into a bowl and only decided to wrap shit up in the on the bus ride to school. I mean take Saga out of the story how much really changes?

MHWilliams

Oct 25, 2017
It's a shame, because the ideas are great.

Thouser is a good concept: the negative face of humanity and corporate culture. But the best they came up with was a contest where he's openly cheating, making him and Aruto look ineffective. Metsuboujinrai would've been another spin on Drive's Roidmude's, but two of them are added relatively briefly or late, and the aforementioned Thouser arc minimizes them. Yaiba Yua is the first female main Rider, and the developer of the ShotRiser, but she was squandered. Fuwa had a lot of heat, but once they resolved his backstory, he was just... there.

Finding Horobi's heart. Aruto coming to terms with losing Azu. Fuwa leaving his family behind. Yua not being able to diferentiate between her desires and the chip. Thouser's belief in humanity. These are good ideas. They just jumped around to them without proper lead up time, thus lessening the impact. Like, Fuwa using Naki's Progrise key at the end? That should be an amazing, meaningful moment, considering they shared a body. But it was just a thing that happened and we moved on.

That's why I compared it to Kiva. I felt the same thing watching both shows, "Oh, that's a good idea, but you just... did it with no build-up or explanation." See also: Kabuto.

In hindsight, it would be easy to clean up Zero-One, but creators don't have that benefit.

RangerBAD

Oct 25, 2017
Horobi needs his own series in that outfit. Looks badasss. Yeah, the series dragged on in the Hiden vs Zaia part. I feel like the break helped the show out. We looped around a few times in the last half with Aruto being down and then back to his optimism. I feel the show overall was around Ghost level.

Last edited:

modoversus

Oct 25, 2017
México
We need to respect HumaGears's right to decide for themselves...
except for new Izu, she is going to be just like old Izu. This is a very healthy thing to do and it's totally different from the guy who had a HumaGear of her dead daughter.

MHWilliams

Oct 25, 2017
We need to respect HumaGears's right to decide for themselves...
except for new Izu, she is going to be just like old Izu. This is a very healthy thing to do and it's totally different from the guy who had a HumaGear of her dead daughter.
I honestly expected him to give her a new name, to firmly put Izu in the past and show he had grown.