• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Harpoon

Oct 27, 2017
Recently decided I really wanted to get into Kamen Rider, so I've begun by watching Den-O, and it's been a blast. Loving most of the Rider and monster designs, and the cast has been pretty great, especially the Imagin. Has made me all the more interested in checking out Saber in September.

Also thinking I might start watching Ultraman Z since I see Tsuburaya's uploading that onto Youtube.

jwk94

Oct 25, 2017
Recently decided I really wanted to get into Kamen Rider, so I've begun by watching Den-O, and it's been a blast. Loving most of the Rider and monster designs, and the cast has been pretty great, especially the Imagin. Has made me all the more interested in checking out Saber in September.

Also thinking I might start watching Ultraman Z since I see Tsuburaya's uploading that onto Youtube.
You should watch kabuto or kuuga next! Kuuga has been subbed by shout factory and is available for free on their site and through Tubi. Kuuga has a slow burn but it's worth it.

Speaking of Den o, it's amazing how that climax really never ended. They've been in something every single year since the show premiered.

TheAggroCraig

One Winged Slayer
Nov 6, 2017

I'm about 20 episodes into Den-O right now, and it has been very fun so far (I've seen Build/W/OOO/Zero-One so far).

Pluto

Oct 25, 2017
W and Fourze are very good too and try Kiva, it's very underappreciated.

KingWillance

Oct 25, 2017
Kirameiger just justified the sentai trope of the body swap episode in the most wonderful way. Great job from the suit actors, great job from the VAs. I love this little show with all my heart.

Harpoon

Oct 27, 2017
You should watch kabuto or kuuga next! Kuuga has been subbed by shout factory and is available for free on their site and through Tubi. Kuuga has a slow burn but it's worth it.

Speaking of Den o, it's amazing how that climax really never ended. They've been in something every single year since the show premiered.

Kabuto did catch my eye since the Riders there looking like they lean heavily into the insect theme gives me some nice Beetleborgs vibes, so I'll probably check that one out before too long.

I'm about 20 episodes into Den-O right now, and it has been very fun so far (I've seen Build/W/OOO/Zero-One so far).

That's about where I am too.

They are, but they're removing episodes after a few weeks. So episodes 2-5 are gone I think?

Hmm, in that case I should probably get started sooner rather than later.

W and Fourze are very good too and try Kiva, it's very underappreciated.

W's also on my shortlist, as the detective theme sounds really neat, and Kiva did catch my attention after seeing how sick some of its designs look.

OP
OP
DioMuller

DioMuller

Oct 25, 2017
Brazil
Kiramager 19

I really hope Kiramai does well, because I really like how it does the giants being separated from the small monsters thing. Go-Busters also did that, but then it bombed :(

As far as body swap episodes go, this is one of the best, more creative ones. The actors and suit actors did a great job. The new roll call and pose was pretty good.

Also keep more series do this kind of retro monster design. While it may not work for every series, it works really well for this one.

NeonZ

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
Random question. Anybody knows when or which Tokusatsu series started the tradition of having weapon hits emit sparkles/pyrotechnics?

Checking some series, I'm surprised that as late as Bioman and the Kamen Rider ZX special, 1984, they still didn't have that (at least not consistently - they just slash grunts with no effects at all, but could use sparks for some specific stuff - like Apollogeist's slashing shield attack as early as X(1974)). Liveman(88) seems to be the first time where they use sparks universally, slash attacks on grunts or monsters. Black (87) also had sparks (or some powder?) used for almost every slash, but in this case it was mostly monster/villain attacks against the hero, so it's not quite the same as using sparks even to show hits on throw away grunts.

Maskman used sparks for monsters/climatic battles, but not when the heroes were just slashing grunts (or at least they do so very rarely), so I guess Liveman is the point where it became an universal effect.

modoversus

Oct 25, 2017
México
Checking some series, I'm surprised that as late as Bioman and the Kamen Rider ZX special, 1984, they still didn't have that (at least not consistently - they just slash grunts with no effects at all, but could use sparks for some specific stuff - like Apollogeist's slashing shield attack as early as X(1974)). Liveman(88) seems to be the first time where they use sparks universally, slash attacks on grunts or monsters. Black (87) also had sparks (or some powder?) used for almost every slash, but in this case it was mostly monster/villain attacks against the hero, so it's not quite the same as using sparks even to show hits on throw away grunts.

Maskman used sparks for monsters/climatic battles, but not when the heroes were just slashing grunts (or at least they do so very rarely), so I guess Liveman is the point where it became an universal effect.

Wow, thank you for resarching this! This is really interesting. Wonder how they got the idea...

Deleted member 17388

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
As far as body swap episodes go, this is one of the best, more creative ones. The actors and suit actors did a great job. The new roll call and pose was pretty good.
And it really gave the stones a chance to... shine :v
A truly fun episode, I'd want to see this dynamic in a Digimon episode, dunno, it was fun :D

chaobreaker

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I saw the trailer for the new Ultra Fight series and came upon this:

It's kind of wild the numbers Ultraman is doing on YouTube. Always loved how the channel is not purely for Japanese viewers too. Just another reminder of how Tsuburaya's outreach to international fans puts Toei to shame.

MHWilliams

Oct 25, 2017
As guessed, putting the Books in the right slot completes the picture of a Rider.

Right and middle slots show a full Rider, but left seems to be arm only, and all three make one picture.

EDIT: Also Ultraman Official hit 1 million subs and did a video for it:

Last edited:

modoversus

Oct 25, 2017
México
Tsuburaya apologizing for accidentally region blocking an Ultraman Z teaser, while Toei and Hasbro desperately block content left and right.

Interesting that they acknowledge that their viewers are from many countries, maybe in the future they could have subs in even more languages too.

OP
OP
DioMuller

DioMuller

Oct 25, 2017
Brazil
Ultraman Z 10

Small Z once more! And Juggler fighting! Also, longer than normal? Or it's just because there are more ads than normal?

That first part was tense as hell. The fight was really fun, with the alien using the different weapons in fun ways!

That last bit too, Yuka best character.

NeonZ

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
In terms of functionality, Zero Two is one the lamest final forms, what can it even do?
Super calculations to foresee the enemy's moves, also quantum movement that allows it to briefly act in multiple places at once (you can actually see this in its battle against Ark-Zero). It's also supposed to have Shinning Assault Hopper's bit attack according to the official specs, although it was never used in the show.

OP
OP
DioMuller

DioMuller

Oct 25, 2017
Brazil
Kiramai 20

Hey, they remembered that Juuru is a student! Also, lol, they all reveal their secret identities *but* red?

Anyway, I like how many curveballs this episode has thrown at us.

Anyway, that was a cute episode. Next one looks like it'll be back to the main plot.

Mewzard

Feb 4, 2018
Out of curiosity, while a date hasn't been announced for it yet, the old Mill Creek ads listed a "Ultraman Zero Series+Movie" and that makes me wonder...what would count for this release? From what I understand, Zero didn't have the most traditional of Ultraman runs.

I'm all the way back in Ultra Q, so I'm a ways from having to worry about it, but I got curious.

jwk94

Oct 25, 2017
Zero One 44

Man, this whole humagear thing will never not make me mad. It seemed like common sense to decommission them right before Gai and Aruto started butting heads, but noooo we gotta have our servants. Granted some of those humagear are super helpful, but the danger is way too high to keep them going. I think covid and how things are panning in the states recontexualizes the humans' reluctance to give up their easy lifestyle for the greater good a way I would've never considered last year when this started.

Do we know if we're getting any side movies? Yua and Naki deserve more action.

Also, was this season supposed to be longer before covid? 45 eps seems super short. The next shortest (excluding Amazon's) was Decade, right?

NeonZ

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
Gai did decommission most of them, but they were reactivated to help repair the city during Ark-Zero's attack.

Usually those are only announced after the final episode, but considering how the summer movie was delayed this time they might wait until that debuts first.

jwk94

Oct 25, 2017
Usually those are only announced after the final episode, but considering how the summer movie was delayed this time they might wait until that debuts first.
Ah OK thanks! Did Mariko in Gaim get anything after that ended? I remember Duke getting a movie, but idk if she was in it.

NeonZ

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
Ah OK thanks! Did Mariko in Gaim get anything after that ended? I remember Duke getting a movie, but idk if she was in it.

None of the Gaidens were focused on her, and I don't think she even appeared in any of them. The movies were focused on Zangetsu, Baron, Duke and Knuckle. She did appear later on in Goriders though (an Agito/Blade/Gaim/Ex-Aid crossover).

jwk94

Oct 25, 2017
None of the Gaidens were focused on her, and I don't think she even appeared in any of them. The movies were focused on Zangetsu, Baron, Duke and Knuckle. She did appear later on in Goriders though (an Agito/Blade/Gaim/Ex-Aid crossover).
Oo OK I didn't know that! I'll have to watch that one. Thanks!

NeonZ

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
Oo OK I didn't know that! I'll have to watch that one. Thanks!

Just correcting myself, she does appear in most of the Gaim Gaidens. The only one where she's missing is Knuckle's, but her role is fairly minor in all of them (She does at least transforms and fights in Zangetsu's).

Oct 25, 2017
Super calculations to foresee the enemy's moves, also quantum movement that allows it to briefly act in multiple places at once (you can actually see this in its battle against Ark-Zero). It's also supposed to have Shinning Assault Hopper's bit attack according to the official specs, although it was never used in the show.
Wasn't the calculations part also one of Shining Hopper's schtick

jwk94

Oct 25, 2017
Man, going from early Heisei riders to the new ones is jarring. These transformation sequences are so loud and busy. After watching videos on all the toys belts though, I get why they have so many sounds, but it ruins certain moments in the show.

Just correcting myself, she does appear in most of the Gaim Gaidens. The only one where she's missing is Knuckle's, but her role is fairly minor in all of them (She does at least transforms and fights in Zangetsu's).
Thanks! Guess I'll just check them all out lol

ValKiryuSonicEX

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017

isn't Knuckle's post series and therefore she's dead? though to be honest I haven't seen either that one or Duke (I'm less inclined to watch the latter these days especially).

NeonZ

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
isn't Knuckle's post series and therefore she's dead? though to be honest I haven't seen either that one or Duke (I'm less inclined to watch the latter these days especially).

Yes, Knuckle is a sequel rather than a side-story like the others. That doesn't stop some other characters from showing up there though.

DragonSJG

Banned
Mar 4, 2019
Man, going from early Heisei riders to the new ones is jarring. These transformation sequences are so loud and busy. After watching videos on all the toys belts though, I get why they have so many sounds, but it ruins certain moments in the show.

Thanks! Guess I'll just check them all out lol
Wait until Ghost

DragonSJG

Banned
Mar 4, 2019
EgOQ_VuWsAE9Prn

NeonZ

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
Didn't uhhh... Horobi kill a HumaGear just recently too?

I'm very confused.

No one aside from Horobi and Aruto saw that. This episode made it very clear that Horobi is supposed to be hypocritical and a liar
(accusing Aruto of being Ark while working with Ark and getting his own Ark form).

Vareon

Oct 25, 2017
They literally introduced a guy in ZAIA who went from ANTAGONIST to fine in three episodes.

Yeah who's that guy? Is he someone important from side stories?

I still enjoy Zero-One and will be sad when this ends. Still don't know what to expect with Saber but they just introduced an older Rider so it's fine.

He will totally not die in the 12th episode

jwk94

Oct 25, 2017

I still enjoy Zero-One and will be sad when this ends. Still don't know what to expect with Saber but they just introduced an older Rider so it's fine.

He will totally not die in the 12th episode
Kill him then have his daughter take his place.

Speaking of Daddy Rider, he tweeted to the US fans! It's great seeing Riders acknowledge the international fanbase.

NeonZ

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017

Nah, he hasn't appeared anywhere else yet. I'd guess he might have originally been be a summer movie tie-in since the timing of his appearance would match that, but then the summer movie got delayed.

Orayn

Oct 25, 2017
At a minimum we'll get the rest of Project Thouser on the Blu-rays. I expect at least a couple V-cinemas as well, one of which is very likely to be about AIMS.

So how do we think things will end?
My guess:
Climactic fight between Aruto and Horobi breaks down and they eventually make peace, Horobi might even survive. Whole thing went exactly as planned - Izu ran simulations and determined that she had to die and Aruto had to become the Ark to prove its assumptions about human nature wrong.

MHWilliams

Oct 25, 2017
Random guess: Aruto will sacrifice himself to quell Horobi's rage. Horobi will become Zero-One in his honor.