• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

julian

Oct 27, 2017
Some people might have missed this since it was in the Universal Studios Direct that Nintendo had today, but they introduced a toy exclusive to the park.

Introducing Tokotoko Mario!

topics.nintendo.co.jp

手で押して歩く不思議な人形『トコトコマリオ』。『スーパー・ニンテンドー・ワールド™』で販売決定。 | トピックス | Nintendo

※2022年11月26日更新本商品の販売は終了いたしました。※2021年3月8日更新『スーパー・ニンテンドー・ワールド™』の開業日は、2021年3月18日(木)となりました。くわし

18705_05.jpg

Miyamoto made a point of saying it was made by Nintendo employees and that they are making other real life products - around 8:15 mark on the Direct. Personally, I think it looks awesome and would be a great kids toy

9n7MGIj.gif

no batteries required. Thanks Zen Hero for the gif.

Article about relevant patent:
I wonder if Tokotoko Mario has something to do with this:

Possible 4-legged version mentioned....

Last edited:

buttzilla

Sep 9, 2020
I wonder how many toy engineers Nintendo is employing these days. We all know they were toy makers before, but it always felt like they put that stuff aside once famicom came out, until at least the Labo kits started popping up.

ExoExplorer

Jan 3, 2019
New York City
I wonder how many toy engineers Nintendo is employing these days. We all know they were toy makers before, but it always felt like they put that stuff aside once famicom came out, until at least the Labo kits started popping up.
I think Nintendo has said in interviews before, they never really got rid of their toy-maker mentality after transitioning to video games. It doesn't surprise me to see internal Nintendo employees excited to make physical toys. Especially for something as high profile as theme park merchandise.

Mandos

Nov 27, 2017
It's not as big as it used to be but they still make core board and card games for the domestic Japanese market(Hafunda cards and Shogi boards namely). I'd imagine they still have a couple on staff in a small department

FaffEra

Chicken Chaser
Nov 8, 2017
UK
Is that meant to be mario with a suitcase? Looks like he's pulling along a koopa shell by its spine lol

Zen Hero

Oct 25, 2017
Gif showing how it moves!

9n7MGIj.gif

I think it's super neat! I love how it works without power.

Gartooth

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Id love to pick one up whenever I go to Super Nintendo World. Looks like a really nice figure and hearing it was developed internally at Nintendo is also really cool.

Nov 19, 2017
Cannot unsee some kind of parasite shooting out of the shell into Mario's back turning him into some zombie host with that dead in the eyes look >_>

Marufuku

Feb 27, 2018

Nintendo don't see themselves as a video game company, but rather as a entertainment company:

Satoru Iwata said:
Ever since I succeeded Mr. Yamauchi as the president of Nintendo, a company specialized in entertainment, I have deliberated on the meaning of entertainment and in this decade, I have run Nintendo with the belief that the raison d'etre of entertainment is to put smiles on people's faces around the world through products and services.

https://www.nintendo.co.jp/ir/en/events/140130/04.html

Shigeru Miyamoto said:
[...]Nintendo is the kind of company that welcomes those kinds of new ideas. The fact that it was perfectly natural for a product like Nintendo Labo to arise gives me reassurance that everyone inside the company understands and is committed to Nintendo as a company that innovates new ways to have fun and not as a company that only makes video games.

https://www.nintendo.co.jp/ir/pdf/2018/180210e.pdf

Last edited:

sredgrin

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Is this sort of parastic koopa wearing a Mario puppet?