• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

OtakuCoder

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
UK
Under the title of "Heartthrob Memorial: Under the Tree of Legends". Includes an MSU-1 version with animated OP/ED and voiced confessions.

Haven't had the chance to play yet (its very late here) but my cart is ready and waiting!

Last edited:

sixteen-bit

Oct 30, 2017
I own a pretty old flash card that lacks MSU-1 capabilities, but I'm thinkin bout that upgrade now

Fat4all

Woke up, got a money tag, swears a lot
Oct 25, 2017
here

www.youtube.com

Bingo!

Shamelessly recreated based on Tim Rogers' review of Tokimeki Memorial. Go support that awesome channel.Link here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xb-DtICmPT...

Darknight

"I'd buy that for a dollar!"
Oct 25, 2017
Never thought I'd see the day. I wish they left the title screen as Tokimeki Memorial instead of translating it to Heartthrob Memorial, but that's an extremely minor preference.

Toa Axis

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Virginia
Damn, given what I've heard about the sheer volume of the game's script, as well as just how wildly dense it is, I never thought I'd see a fan translation any time soon, if ever. Amazing work by all involved for making this happen (and quite serendipitous given my viewing of the Tim Rodgers review of it a few months back).

May 26, 2018
No way… to think the first time I saw this game was like… 1998. Over twenty years and at last this happens. Never would have dreamed.

OP
OP
OtakuCoder

OtakuCoder

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
UK
Okay, last update before I go to sleep:

According to the website, the patch also fixes the menu scrolling background!

Typographenia

Oct 27, 2017
Los Angeles
Wow, what unreal timing. I just finished going through Tim Rogers' Tokimeki video again and recalled this was in the works. Looked it up LITERALLY yesterday and thought, "Guess they're still working on it."

I can't begin to appreciate how much time and effort this probably required. Good on them

Kain-Nosgoth

Oct 25, 2017
Switzerland
So i know it's super popular, but for those who played it, does this VN actually good writing though? I know it's mainly romance and there will be obviously some dumb tropes, but aside from that, how is it?

Just to know if it's worth my time, since these VNs can be pretty long

BassForever

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
CT
I own a pretty old flash card that lacks MSU-1 capabilities, but I'm thinkin bout that upgrade now
Is there a site where you can get an upgraded flashcart with MSU-1 support easily? Everywhere I've looked was sold out before the Ukraine situation, and obviously Krikzz isn't shipping them anytime soon :(

Symphony

Oct 27, 2017
The other versions of the game are apparently stupidly hard to hack.
There is the Windows 95 version which is probably no more difficult than other VNs, that one makes by far the most sense to translate so it confuses me that it wasn't chosen.

According to the website, the patch also fixes the menu scrolling background!
Oh thank god, I mean I would still rather play any version other than the Super Famicom one but at least with that fix people won't be getting migraines from that background, so I can at least give it a shot.

Last edited:

BassForever

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
CT
There is the Windows 95 version which is probably no more difficult than other VNs, that one makes by far the most sense to translate so it confuses me that it wasn't chosen
That's a super easy question to answer. Here is the list of translations released by this group (DDST Translations), you get one guess as to what all these games have in common

Go For It Goemon 1-4
Get Going Ebisumaru
Warriors Legend of the Blue Dragon
Super Chinese Fighter
Super Chinese World 2-3
The Story of Ihatovo
Megami Tensei: The Old Testament
Megami Tensei
Megami Tensei 2 Spiral Nemesis
Romancing Saga
Tetris Battle Spin Off
Heartthrob Memorial

Jawmuncher

Crisis Dino
Oct 25, 2017
Ibis Island
What's the history here as to why it's popular despite no translation for so long? Or is it just that Igarashi was a writer?

Symphony

Oct 27, 2017
That's a super easy question to answer. Here is the list of translations released by this group (DDST Translations), you get one guess as to what all these games have in common

Go For It Goemon 1-4
Get Going Ebisumaru
Warriors Legend of the Blue Dragon
Super Chinese Fighter
Super Chinese World 2-3
The Story of Ihatovo
Megami Tensei: The Old Testament
Megami Tensei
Megami Tensei 2 Spiral Nemesis
Romancing Saga
Tetris Battle Spin Off
Heartthrob Memorial
Yeah I already get that they only do SNES translations, it's just a shame that the only one for Tokimeki is a version that pretty much nobody wants to play (because its objectively the worst one), it means the game (and their efforts) still won't reach a wider audience. Hopefully they are open to partnering up with another group who can take their translation and bring it across to any of the voiced versions.

BassForever

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
CT
Yeah I already get that they only do SNES translations, it's just a shame that the only one for Tokimeki is a version that pretty much nobody wants to play (because its objectively the worst one), it means the game (and their efforts) still won't reach a wider audience. Hopefully they are open to partnering up with another group who can take their translation and bring it across to any of the voiced versions.
I feel like you're really underselling people who are excited to play this game, any version in English, period. There's also a good number of people who'll play this game because it's the SNES version that got translated since that's a very accessible console for emulation and flash carts. An SNES hack will absolutely reach a much wider audience then a TGCD or Windows 95 version in 2022.

Foot

Mar 10, 2019
I'd just be skipping through the voices anyway, so if that's the only downside to the SNES version… hooray!

Brivs

Creative Director, BancyCo
Verified
Nov 4, 2017
Toronto
This is amazing! I am going to stream this on my channel; seems like there are some great improvements in there, too. I love the future!

Lemony1984

Jul 7, 2020
I've been waiting to play this game for over 20 years. And of course it comes out when I'm insanely busy with work and personal stuff. And Elden Ring.

Looking forward to getting stuck in though.

Foot

Mar 10, 2019
The drama in the translation scene is so weird sometimes. The petulance of including "This translation can't go on Romhacking.net!" in the readme is so silly.

Oct 8, 2019
What's the history here as to why it's popular despite no translation for so long? Or is it just that Igarashi was a writer?

Its a couple of things

1. It was hugely influential in the Dating sim genre, and was one of the few that was mainstream due to the lack of sexual content. Most hentai dating sims just involve you. hitting the right set of choices, and indeed most hentai games involve a skip option so you can just skip to the questions, you give the right answer that will unlock the ending.
2. Koji Igarashi wrote it, and then used that to get involved with Castlevania
3. Tim Roger's review of it is his best work, so people took notice of it after that video came out.

PerrierChaud

Feb 24, 2019
Yeah after playing it for an hour or so the lack of voice acting is just too important to be unnoticed. All there's left is the grating soundtrack—plus the stiffed and cut down staging makes it a terrible experience all around. Huge work and milestone nonetheless, but I don't want my first experience on this game to be with that clearly disappointing version, more power to everyone enjoying it tho

Soul Skater

Oct 25, 2017
I know one person who might be happy about this:

"Who translated this?"

it-was-me-austin.gif

Lbbaker

May 21, 2018
Just to be clear, the Super Famicom version of the game is a drastically stripped down version of the other releases, correct?

Willin

Oct 28, 2017
I'm new to translation patches for ROMs and I cannot for the life of me get this working.

OP
OP
OtakuCoder

OtakuCoder

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
UK
That's a weird recent drama then since all their old patches were hosted on RH.

The group seems rather reclusive in general (Don't allow replies on Twitter, site has no contact details that I can see). I dunno what happened but might be best not to stir the pot.

I can't actually get my dump working with the patch even though the CRC matches. Just get a blank screen when I boot it. Weird...

MondoMega

One Winged Slayer
Jan 10, 2018
The group seems rather reclusive in general (Don't allow replies on Twitter, site has no contact details that I can see). I dunno what happened but might be best not to stir the pot.
Tom ran away from the internet for awhile after people called him out for using the t-slur in his Gambare Goemon 3 translation; might have something to do with that.