• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Dalek

Oct 25, 2017
At least here in California-after major restrictions were announced again yesterday. My wife was at Target two days ago before the announcement and the aisle was full. She went today-completely empty. I went on Amazon and nearly all of the products are sold out. I was lucky to get some with a 1-3 week shipping time.

Curler

Oct 26, 2017
Heh, I JUST posted on this moments ago in the CA topic, but yes this is a thing again and I recommend those on short supply to buy when you can (aka, get what you need).

MasterYoshi

Oct 27, 2017
8q975up7llz51.jpg

El_TigroX

Oct 27, 2017
New York, NY
East coast is starting to see shelves go bare in a few places. We went ahead and bought an extra pack this week to get us through holidays...

Definitely pick up if you see some folks. But avoid that panic buying and stocking! That helps no one.

MechDX

Oct 25, 2017
Went to Costco today because we are truly out of TP. 3 partial pallets left and they were staging 10 more. No paper towels AT ALL. Houston TX

ToddBonzalez

The Pyramids? That's nothing compared to RDR2
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I never understood people overstocking on TP. It's not like diarrhea is a normal symptom of COVID. Why do they feel the need to buy in such bulk?

antonz

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah stores around me are clearing out again. Food supply is fine but assholes gonna be assholes with the paper goods. Thankfully stores are enforcing limits

Ottaro

Oct 25, 2017
my sisters says texas seems to be having a toilet paper shortage as well.
Yup, Texas here. Store seemed fine on the weekend, went today and Target was completely out of toilet paper and paper towels. Managed to get some of the remaining few at a walmart after finding the only walmart that said they had stock online. We legit needed some after just running out.

HammerOfThor

Oct 26, 2017
I rarely find paper towels at Costco in general though here in Illinois.

I wonder if Costco and other stores are going to start limiting the number of people inside again. It'll be a lot harder in the winter

Deleted member 36578

Dec 21, 2017
So stupid. Just buy when you need. I'm not going to add to the madness.

Belfast

Oct 28, 2017
Bought a full Costco pack a couple weeks ago and haven't even cracked it yet. Probably good for a year tbh since there's only two of us and we use a washlet, too.

FreezePeach

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I know when i went to Costco 20 days or so ago they had no paper towels and everyone was freaking out. Plenty of toilet paper. Publix was also out of paper towels.

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah I get that, but why are people even setting off the initial buying wave? That makes no sense to me.
Toilet paper is an easy thing to stock up on for emergencies, because there's basically no reason not to stock up on it. It doesn't expire, and you'll need it eventually. If the crisis never comes to pass, you can just use it normally without changing your lifestyle at all. The only potential downside is that it takes up space in a closet.

The downside to not having it when you need it is pretty significant, so it makes sense that people buy a lot of it when they think it might be hard to come by.

OP
OP
Dalek

Dalek

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah I get that, but why are people even setting off the initial buying wave? That makes no sense to me.

With restrictions in place some people want to do an initial purchase of a ton of food and supplies and then wait it all out and not make multiple trips. So they buy all the toilet paper up everywhere.

Then the normal people who just need a normal purchase of 1 or 2 packs can't get ANY and they start to panic because they've been trying for a week with no luck.

So then at this point it's every man for himself and if any is seen-that person is buying it ALL up so they don't have to deal with the shortages.

Merv

Oct 27, 2017
My wife noticed this happening last week. We didn't go crazy, but we picked up a few extra rolls.

Easystride

Oct 27, 2017
It's the media's fault (social media, this thread included too). I've seen articles requesting pictures of empty shelves from their readers. Self-fulfilling shortages.

Oct 29, 2017
With restrictions in place some people want to do an initial purchase of a ton of food and supplies and then wait it all out and not make multiple trips. So they buy all the toilet paper up everywhere.

Then the normal people who just need a normal purchase of 1 or 2 packs can't get ANY and they start to panic because they've been trying for a week with no luck.

So then at this point it's every man for himself and if any is seen-that person is buying it ALL up so they don't have to deal with the shortages.

I couldn't get anything in the stores because my paycheck didn't come in until after the lockdowns in March started.

The feeding frenzy had already started by then. I didn't see any paper towels in my supermarket until May, LOL.