• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
OP
OP
Camjo-Z

Camjo-Z

Oct 25, 2017
How's Switch portable performance?

It's pretty good, my only complaint is that the vibration is set a little too high for my tastes. When you do something like get a promotion or use rocket skates it makes a really long and loud rumble. It's like that in docked too but I find it more noticeable in handheld, thankfully you can just turn it off in the settings.

poptire

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I'M FAMOUS

Also, you might like to know Huelen... it turns out that tweet they made about a TJ&E character being gay wasn't just a topical joke about Soldier 76, they actually do reveal that two characters in the game are gay and in a relationship together.
I always considered you my best friend! MAKE ME FAMOUS NOW

PepsimanVsJoe

Oct 26, 2017
In case anyone is wondering:

From the few opportunities I've had to play online coop, the netcode seems pretty solid (PC version).

Platy

Oct 25, 2017
Brazil
Also, you might like to know Huelen... it turns out that tweet they made about a TJ&E character being gay wasn't just a topical joke about Soldier 76, they actually do reveal that two characters in the game are gay and in a relationship together.

Awesome ! =D

Care to spoil it with the proper tags please?

Malkier

Oct 25, 2017
Have this preloaded on ps4, I don't know Jack about this version of the game but got it for the childhood memories.

Arkeband

Banned
Nov 8, 2017
It's installing!

DypIJyh.png

Surfinn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
USA
OK just played for a few minutes. Very impressed so far and it does seem to capture the feeling of the first game, even if it's got more of a modern sheen.

The soundtrack is SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO GOOD, you guys were spot on. Damn.

Back to playing

OP
OP
Camjo-Z

Camjo-Z

Oct 25, 2017
Since it's now March 1st where I am, I figured I'd draw some winners for that Steam code. First, the answers, which nearly every single entrant got correct:

1. True or False: ToeJam & Earl has a secret level where you can hop in a hot tub with hula girls.

True!

2. What Sega Genesis peripheral came packaged with a ToeJam & Earl spin-off titled "Ready, Aim, Tomatoes"?

The Sega Menacer light gun, of course.

3. What TJ&E character is the source of all funk in the known universe?

It's everyone's favorite Funkopotamus, Lamont.

4. ToeJam & Earl III's main antagonist, a floating skull called the Anti-Funk, had to be changed from his original appearance during development due to complaints from Sega. What did he originally look like?

Believe it or not, a KKK hood.

5. Which of these is not an Earthling found in the ToeJam & Earl series?

A. Duck on a Magic Carpet
B. Giant Hamster
C. Naked Guy in a Box
D. Ghostly Chicken
E. Ice Cream Truck

While there are ghostly cows, as well as chickens with mortars, there is no ghostly chicken.

The winner of the Steam code, selected randomly, is... TAH3145! And since they were one of two people to mention that they were not interested in receiving the stickers, I went ahead and did a second drawing for those. The winner of the vinyl stickers is... Pizza Dog! Check those PMs y'all.

Oct 25, 2017
It's pretty good, my only complaint is that the vibration is set a little too high for my tastes. When you do something like get a promotion or use rocket skates it makes a really long and loud rumble. It's like that in docked too but I find it more noticeable in handheld, thankfully you can just turn it off in the settings.

That seems to be an issue a LOT with indie stuff. I wish there was a system wide setting that could be adjusted

petethepanda

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
chicago
Argh, backer code still showing up as invalid on PS4. I'll give it til morning before contacting them, I can't play it tonight anyway. (I wonder if backers get the pre-order theme.)

Really excited to play this. For some reason the hype didn't kick in until the last couple weeks.

Opa-Pa

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Maaan, I'm so excited for this, I really thought it'd unlock at midnight on Switch too :(

Oh well, impressions seem glowing at least. Can't wait.

Dreenk

Oct 27, 2017
Only played for a little bit, but I'm into it so far. The style is spot on, and the visual style works really well. Old Skool Toejam first, of course.

I was disappointed with TJ&E2, but the way they've just kinda stuck some of the side activities from 2 into the basic TJ&E1 framework here feels smart. There's just a lot going on in general, and I think that's a good thing.

doof_warrior

Oct 25, 2017
NJ
only had time for one run tonight, but man it feels amazing to be playing a new toejam and earl game(in the same style as the first one) in 2019

the stages feel a little too dense to me though. im sure ill get used to it

dlauv

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
This game is pretty fuckin' great. It's like the original but faster and with more to do.

Dreenk

Oct 27, 2017
So, I started the tutorial, thinking that going through it would unlock Random mode (the standard way to play TJ&E). I got so wrapped up in checking out the mechanics and everything and completely forgot that I wasn't in the main game yet, but was wondering why it seemed so easy. Had I just gone down to select Random, I would've seen that you need to reach level 10 in Fixed mode to unlock random :/ Oh well. Locking it at all is a weird way to go, in any case.

Some things do feel a little janky, like trying to enter the elevator with spring shoes and clipping through the top, or finding a good earthling in a bush and having them fly out and off a cliff (janky, but funny). I also think buying/identifying/fixing/amping should give you some sort of feedback that it actually happened, preferably audio.

Does anyone know if there's a way to differentiate
bad elevators from regular ones? I don't see any differences, and staring at it for a while looking for a tell (a la the Mailbox Monster) didn't yield results.
Seems like you just have to make a mental note.

PepsimanVsJoe

Oct 26, 2017
Just did a play-through with two other players online. It's so much fun.

BTW: Save any "duplicate present" and "Amp present" presents you can find. Once you find an extra life and/or instant promotion, you can amp/dupe it for double the results. During one game I gifted my buddies four extra lives at once.

bad elevators from regular ones? I don't see any differences, and staring at it for a while looking for a tell (a la the Mailbox Monster) didn't yield results.

There's not really a way to check IIRC. Basically, if you see teeth appear, then leave the elevator immediately.

CandySTX

Mar 17, 2018
Scotland
When do games become available on Xbox these days? Can't find it on the store, and searching returns a page with no purchase options.

wafflebrain

Oct 27, 2017
Can anyone confirm if the Xbox version has local coop? I saw PC version has it but would prefer to get it on the X if local coop is in.

Tedmilk

Avenger
Nov 13, 2017
Can't wait to play this now. They sent me a US redeem code for the PS4 version though and I'm in the UK. Sent them an email.

I wasn't looking forward to it that much but this OT has got me hyped!

Malkier

Oct 25, 2017
If you care about trophies you might want know this up front.

It seems trophies on PS4 (at least the multiplayer ones) do not unlock in local co-op mode. Not sure if this is a glitch or intentional.

The trophy for get a game over before level 3 won't pop in solo or local multiplayer.

Also just went to start a game online, it brought me to a full screen European PS plus subscription page I could not back out of. Was playing on my NA account and a guest on 2nd controller.

beelulzebub

Oct 25, 2017
There's a part of me that wishes that they didn't stick so close to the design of the first game. There's also a part of me that's pretty happy they found a way to work Funkotron elements seamlessly into the design of the first game.

Most of all it's just cool as hell that there's a new ToeJam & Earl to play. :)

PepsimanVsJoe

Oct 26, 2017
Here's a little secret for players that have beaten the game.

While on Funkotron, if you head west you'll see some tiny islands. One of them has a bush that you can shake. You should score a present called an Express Elevator. If you use it, you'll catch a ride to the North Pole. Tell Santa you were a really nice boy or girl, and he'll let you start the next game with three presents of your choice.

OP
OP
Camjo-Z

Camjo-Z

Oct 25, 2017

There are a few ways to tell:

1. As PepsimanVsJoe said, in single player you can just leave as soon as the teeth appear.
2. The Show Elevator present will always reveal the real one.
3. In co-op, the characters will start saying things like "I have a bad feeling about this" or "It's a trap!" if you stay in there long enough.
4. If it's a fake, stray players won't be able to teleport to you when everybody else is inside like they can with the real ones.

Here's a little secret for players that have beaten the game.

While on Funkotron, if you head west you'll see some tiny islands. One of them has a bush that you can shake. You should score a present called an Express Elevator. If you use it, you'll catch a ride to the North Pole. Tell Santa you were a really nice boy or girl, and he'll let you start the next game with three presents of your choice.

The Nintendo Wire review spoiled this in a screenshot and I was SALTY as heck, until I heard
the totally random argument between elves about whether candy corn sucks or not
that I was not at all expecting. This game's dialogue knows how to be surprisingly hilarious.