• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Tek233

Oct 25, 2017
Like some of you, I backed the Kickstarter many years ago. Since this moved from PC to consoles, I upgraded my initial pledge to include a code for the Xbox One and then also purchased the collectors edition for the switch. So I threw a lot of money to the team, but the first two games provided me with many hours of enjoyment so I thought it was money well spent.

I would like to see this succeed especially if it would mean a updated version of the sequel. My only gripe from playing the beta was, yes the maps seemed smaller, a little bit more hectic...but still a lot of fun.

OP
OP
Camjo-Z

Camjo-Z

Oct 25, 2017
By the way, if any of you happen to come across an Amped Total Bummer present when you play... just open it. Open it next to all your friends. You get lots of money and XP. And Macaulay Culkin comes out of the TV to personally sign your game. Probably.

How does the Switch version hold up compared to PS4?

Trying to decide which version to get.

They're pretty much identical as far as I know. I'm going Switch because I need that portability.

AtmaPhoenix

Oct 25, 2017
The Internet
So wait, I preordered the physical collector's edition from Limited Run. Is that not coming tomorrow since in the OP it says the preorders are open until March 30th? I really wanted to play this weekend with friends. :(

OP
OP
Camjo-Z

Camjo-Z

Oct 25, 2017
So wait, I preordered the physical collector's edition from Limited Run. Is that not coming tomorrow since in the OP it says the preorders are open until March 30th? I really wanted to play this weekend with friends. :(

Nope, those aren't set to ship out until May. If you want to play Day 1, you'll have to get it digitally.

OP
OP
Camjo-Z

Camjo-Z

Oct 25, 2017
Shoot. Hm.

Well, I got the physical Switch version, and I know at least one friend of mine got a PC code from the Kickstarter, so maybe I'll pick up a PC copy to play.

I'll use this opportunity to plug the giveaway in the OP - answer some trivia that requires just a little Googling, and potentially win a Steam copy!

2Blackcats

Oct 26, 2017
Downloading on Switch. Convinced the friend I used to play the OG with 27 years ago to pick it up too. Groovy.

VinylCassette64

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Never played the original (I think I might have it and PoF on SUGC, however) but glad to hear the game's getting some good reviews. I hope I can try it out sometime myself.

Last edited:

Arkeband

Banned
Nov 8, 2017
Polygon's review almost made me tear up, TJ&E1 was one of my first games I ever played (if not the first) and I have my first kid on the way, so the stuff about how the author was playing along with his kid really got me. They also seem to "get it", which a few lesser known outlets seem to have not with their more sparse reviews.

Deleted member 12790

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The soundtrack in this game is great, btw. The moment you hear the Toejam & Earl theme song start playing, waves of nostalgia will wash over you. You'll half expect to see Nickelodeon on your screen when you turn off your game.

Opa-Opa

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 16, 2018
I really don't like the graphics on this...

But it's classic ToeJam and Earl, so it's a must play.

Deleted member 12790

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The best Toejam & Earl Villains are definitely the Nerd Herd

B_CUmBfWsAAQukj.png

followed by the insane dentist who cackles when he touches you

then the beehive lady with the shopping cart that hits you with her big ass

then the boogie monster who says "boogie boogie boogie"

Deleted member 224

Oct 25, 2017
I really want to buy this, and I probably will end up doing so. I just wish the physical edition was being released earlier. I want a physical Switch copy

Deleted member 12790

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I like how in the original pitch video, when Greg Johnson starts doing the voice over for the pitch, for like the first 3/4 of the video, he's speaking with a thick sweedish accent, then out of the blue goes "wait, why am I talking like this?" and drops the accent without explanation lmao

I had never heard Greg Johnson speak before, so I just assumed that was his real accent in the beginning. When he dropped it, it made me audibly laugh. For whatever reason, I get his humor so well.

OP
OP
Camjo-Z

Camjo-Z

Oct 25, 2017
The best Toejam & Earl Villains are definitely the Nerd Herd

B_CUmBfWsAAQukj.png

followed by the insane dentist who cackles when he touches you

then the beehive lady with the shopping cart that hits you with her big ass

then the boogie monster who says "boogie boogie boogie"

I really love the Fanboy from the new game, because I see a little too much of myself in him.

"I'M YOUR BIGGEST FAN! SIGN MY GAAAAME!"

Dreenk

Oct 27, 2017
Waiting patiently for that backer code. TJ&E1 is one of my all-time favorites, probably beat it 100+ times when I was a kid. Just look at that screenshot above. So good.

I need Jeff Gerstmann to tell me this is a good game.

That, and I need to hear Blinking White Guy's opinion on the matter.

I like how in the original pitch video, when Greg Johnson starts doing the voice over for the pitch, for like the first 3/4 of the video, he's speaking with a thick sweedish accent, then out of the blue goes "wait, why am I talking like this?" and drops the accent without explanation lmao

I had never heard Greg Johnson speak before, so I just assumed that was his real accent in the beginning. When he dropped it, it made me audibly laugh. For whatever reason, I get his humor so well.

I had the exact same experience, haha.

Deleted member 12790

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Toejam & Earl did the whole "Funk is back" thing way before everyone else did. I remember in the late 90's, there was this revival of 1970's fashion in pop culture, and that's when funk sort of reentered pop culture, but Toejam & Earl were banging that shit 10 years prior. Toejam & Earl is legitimately one of the funkiest things on the planet, a pure love letter to goddamn Funk.

Damn they made the Sega Genesis sing.

samred

Amico fun conversationalist
Nov 4, 2017
Seattle, WA
I wasn't going to review this (busy month), but then I got the 8Bitdo M30 controller and decided to do a "two-fer" review. Here's Ars Technica's review: https://arstechnica.com/gaming/2019...bitdo-controller-get-genesis-nostalgia-right/

8bitdo-toejam-800x505.jpg

Freedom from upstairs meddling was one of the selling points when the series' creators announced a reboot in 2015. At the time, they promised to make the series' first "true sequel."

A whopping four years later, here we are, with ToeJam & Earl: Back in the Groove. In very good news, all of that time in the oven did nothing to stymie or complicate the basic, satisfying thrust of the original game. Instead, Back in the Groove is boosted by even more roguelike weirdness and multiplayer support.

The series' original formula scales well for randomized levels and item acquisition. Back in the Groove certainly lacks the depth of the single-player roguelike adventure game The Binding of Isaac, and its fun expires more quickly when played solo. But the opportunity to go back to its colorful, accessible worlds as a duo, trio, and quartet does plenty to make me want to dive back for a few more full runs (which I'd approximate at roughly two hours a pop, at least on "normal" difficulty).

Deleted member 12790

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Toejam and earl is the very first time i remember a video game making me actually laugh out loud. So much of the game is actually funny. Sneaking up on the jet pack santa used to crack me up, and i loved the wiseman in the carrot suit. The hallelujah sound clip would crack me up so hard.

My favorite class level in the game is "dude". "Toejam is a DUDE" is legitimately an awesome rank.

Deleted member 12790

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, I read that and am pumped up about it. It just sounds like wonderful revisit to a real classic. And unlike some other designers from that age, Greg Johnson doesn't seem like a jerk. Plus, Cody Wright does it right with the OST.

Dude seems like he just actually loves his creation, he never forgets them. He pushed for ready aim tomatoes, he was the driving force behind getting toejam & earl 3 green lit before sega fucked it up. Its like this is his baby and hes proud of it and i can dig that.

Deleted member 12790

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The dialog between toejam & earl in the elevators cracked me up during the beta, i hope they added more to the final game.

Playing the beta with 4 players online was such a goddamn blast, this game really shines in coop.

Deleted member 12790

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Yeah. He kind of has a Beastie Boys vibe going on, that 90s flavor where someone can just love hip hop and the culture and just run with it.

It fit the nickelodeon early 90s so well. It was the right place at the right time and everything just came together perfectly. All the small random touches are still there and still resonate years later. Toejam's cute little dance when hes love struck by Hawaiian dancing girls is still funny in the new game, haha.

Deleted member 12790

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
To the people itt saying they liked toejam & earl 2 better than part 1 - this game doesnt forget about the sequel. While its without a doubt more like the first game than the second, there are lots of nods and elements taken from the sequel. The hide and seek element where you can look behind virtually every object in the game returns from toejam & earl 2, and the hyperfunk zone is brought back completely.

Platy

Oct 25, 2017
Brazil
Love this cover from a brazilian band that basically turned into a reason to go funkalicious

Also ... didn't knew the Steam version had 4 player coop and the switch don't =O

I was going to get on switch and now I don't know if I double dip or just get on steam > <

Oct 27, 2017
I really don't like the puppet-like animations but I'll still support Toejam and Earl and enjoy the game a lot. Playing it tomorrow at last!

But seriously developers, keep those puppets under control. So many indies use them and they're really off putting -for me at least-

awake4ages

Neo•Geo Saver
Oct 27, 2017
Welp reviews sold me, got it pre-purchased. This should be fun with friends, I hope it stacks up decent in single player too.

Deleted member 48897

Banned
Oct 22, 2018
While I don't blame people getting down on Panic on Funkotron from taking away most of what makes the original game distinct and turning it into yet another side-scrolling platformy game, I have to appreciate it for being what Ecco was for John C. Lily's dolphin research to the cosmology of George Clinton. What it might lack in fundamentals of platforming and level design it does a lot to make up for with style (and boy is that soundtrack great).

That this game seems to take what makes the original awesome and really interesting while adding in the ways that the second game built up its universe and giving us lots of music makes me very excited for what this will be. Don't think it'll be a day one for me, but that's more a wallet issue than a passion one...

B. Spaceman

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Spain
I'm happy that this is turning out to be a pretty good game. I have no real nostalgia for TJ&E (I was a Super Nintendo kid) but I find the characters, style and world really charming. I'll probably buy it tomorrow!