• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

lowmelody

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I only like real movies.

Also real movies that dress like comic book movies donttellmywife.

LGHT_TRSN

Oct 25, 2017
I need to actually watch a movie before calling it thematically problematic and tone-deaf, especially one which has garnered a lot of praise.

Deleted member 48897

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 22, 2018
Oh man, it just occurred to me -- when guys like Damon Lindelof and JJ Abrams shamelessly and clumsily adapt scenes from older, better movies, do you think they think what Todd Phillips does here, "Oh boy, time to expose these people to some real art, not this studio-system corny stuff"?

what far left? did the DSA condemn this movie or something

I have it on good authority AOC was deeply upset that they made another Joker movie and not "Poison Ivy in: The Green New Deal"

Nepenthe

When the music hits, you feel no pain.
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
then what is all the talk about credible threats? is that not linked to the movie's thenes and tone deafness? or is that a separate discussion of a possible copycat?
The talk of credible threats is- again- a lesson in stochastic terrorism and actual research by the FBI.

It's still not a cry for censorship.

Joker's a hugely popular villain. Joaquin Phoenix is a great actor. Both trailers for the movie were really good. It looks beautifully shot and the performance has gotten a lot of praise from critics. The movie looks interesting ... and some people prefer to see a movie before pre-judging it.

What's so hard to understand about this?
Again, acting like leaks, the script, and impressions aren't available for people to discuss is absurd.

Deepwater

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I didn't realize I'm supposed to form my opinions based on what other people tell me. But please, feel free to do the same.
especially one which has garnered a lot of praise.

"appeal to authority only works when I do it"

so you have critics who say movie is bad and more critics who say movie is good. you decide the lesser amount is right?

again, the idea isn't "more people agree with me", its the idea that some arguments and interpretations are less legitimate than others

Oct 28, 2017
Again, acting like leaks, the script, and impressions aren't available for people to discuss is absurd.
Nah, not again. Expecting the average moviegoer to read "leaks" and a script before seeing a movie is absurd. A lot of reviews are laudatory, some aren't but the majority are positive. Like I said, some people prefer to judge a work of art - that they haven't even fucking seen yet - for themselves rather than allow others to interpret it for them.

Khanimus

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Greater Vancouver
The nuance can be lost when none of us have seen the film being discussed.
Okay. Plenty of people are still going to see this movie still, and we can at the very least discuss the ideas the film's own marketing is putting infront of us. There are plenty of impressions out there that go from praising the film to thinking it's tonedeaf as shit.

LGHT_TRSN

Oct 25, 2017

again, the idea isn't "more people agree with me", its the idea that some arguments and interpretations are less legitimate than others

A variety of reviews (good/bad) indicate a film is divisive (big surprise), so chances are I'm going to love it or hate it.

What I'm not going to do is love it or hate it before I've even freaking seen it. That's ridiculous.

Deepwater

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
that seems susceptible to bias especially the argument maker.

which is why using "most people who have seen it love it" as an tertiary argument to "you haven't seen it so how can you know" doesn't make sense when there are several reviewers out there who have seen it and are saying the same things a lot of people here are saying.

Its not even about agreeing or disagreeing, thats not even the contention for the most part. Its contention over the audacity to have the opinion in the first place.

Sweeney Swift

User Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
#IStandWithTaylor

Also, hard to not notice as a minority that the first opinions always thrown out the window first are opinions from minorities. Like the tweet thread from the black woman critic I posted here earlier, whose opinions are apparently considered less legitimate than the critics who gave this film an award, so her feeling afraid "doesn't count", despite her also having fucking watched the film

Deepwater

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
and you know, I find it funny how its now taboo to have opinions about a film prior to its release. I can't wait to participate in all the rational and even handed Episode IX threads in November (see I can make strawman arguments too)

hell, you don't even have to wait until episode IX, go look at that Morbius/Madame Web thread RIGHT NOW

subpar spatula

Refuses to Wash his Ass
Oct 26, 2017
which is why using "most people who have seen it love it" as an tertiary argument to "you haven't seen it so how can you know" doesn't make sense when there are several reviewers out there who have seen it and are saying the same things a lot of people here are saying.

Its not even about agreeing or disagreeing, thats not even the contention for the most part. Its contention over the audacity to have the opinion in the first place.
so people who firmly belive the movie is awful without seeing it cause their fav reviewe doesn't like it plays zero part in this cycle? all these joker threads are full of individuals saying the movie is bad without seeing it and it will inspire bad people. that's not zero weighted opinion.

Deleted member 48897

Banned
Oct 22, 2018
so people who firmly belive the movie is awful without seeing it cause their fav reviewe doesn't like it plays zero part in this cycle? all these joker threads are full of individuals saying the movie is bad without seeing it and it will inspire bad people. that's not zero weighted opinion.

You know what, you're right. I should have more faith in the comic book movie made by the guy who directed the Hangover movies

Nepenthe

Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
then why is the credible threats about theatre shootings always posted in a way that the film inspires incels and others like them to do harm?
?

Because if the "credible threat" law enforcement is warning about is "Yo, some dude said he is inspired by the Joker and talking about shooting a place up," what else are we supposed to say in regards to that specific threat?????

Deepwater

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

"this movie is bad because it's a bad movie" is not mutually exclusive with "this movie is bad because it could inspire bad people"

I wouldnt presume that everybody who has a negative opinion of the film has reached the same conclusion. Some may not like it because of the Director, some may not like it BUT will go see it for Joaquin, some may not like it because its tone deaf.

The sentiment I have been getting is this exercise in gaslighting where all the detractors are portrayed as taking crazy pills for having certain opinions about a movie prior to seeing it. And now that we get closer to it's release, folks are doubling down on that argument even though we'll probably find that it is, and always has been a credible argument and position to take.

Also, hard to not notice as a minority that the first opinions always thrown out the window first are opinions from minorities. Like the tweet thread from the black woman critic I posted here earlier, whose opinions are apparently considered less legitimate than the critics who gave this film an award, so her feeling afraid "doesn't count", despite her also having fucking watched the film

I guarantee you that after the film releases, the argument will pivot to "people already had their mind made up on what the movie was about"

subpar spatula

Refuses to Wash his Ass
Oct 26, 2017
?

Because if the "credible threat" law enforcement is warning about is "Yo, some dude said he is inspired by the Joker and talking about shooting a place up," what else are we supposed to say in regards to that specific threat?????
be honest that it ties into how you perceive the movie and it's impact? that's what the whole argument of "video games cause violence" is about. so you can confirm the discussion about the film isn't all about the tone-deaf themes, then?

Ignis

Oct 27, 2017
I think he's right to be frustrated, and far versions of both sides should be reprimanded for negative behaviour, some of the attacks this movie has received is a bit over the top.

TaterTots

Oct 27, 2017
I understand how he can be frustrated, but this wasn't going to conjure a positive response from some.

KarmaCow

Oct 25, 2017
The difference is that the 90s video game panic was predicated on a false belief that there was a direct correlation between time spent playing violent video games and decreasing empathy for human life, and thus they needed to be regulated as a public health issue.

Joker is ultimately a lesson about stochastic terrorism, how individual figures and works can add up to foster an environment of hostility and oppression that makes it easier for assholes to feel emboldened enough to perform direct harm, even though there isn't enough direct interference or correlation for any one individual or work to be directly blamed for specific incidences. This is why people shit on PewDiePie. It's not that he has some magical ability and mind controlled the New Zealand terrorist. It's that his rhetoric only added to an environment that allowed the NZ terrorist just enough leverage to pull the trigger.

Also the government ain't trying to ban Joker either. This film isn't really a victim of anything, and it certainly isn't a free speech issue.

I don't really buy that this is the issue at hand here (or even the distinction is meaningful) when there is a fever pitch around specifically this movie and the worry going around is that there will be a shooting. That's not saying everyone is wringing their hands is genuinely worried about just the Joker movie but that's there are enough people making enough noise about it being uniquely toxic. It's weird that people are bending over backwards to avoid recognizing that absurd reaction to this movie.

Nepenthe

Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
be honest that it ties into how you perceive the movie and it's impact?
My honest opinion is that the movie probably ain't gon be shit from a sociopolitical perspective.

that's what the whole argument of "video games cause violence" is about.
The argument about video games causing violence was that there was an actual, scientific psychological causal link between playing games and decreasing empathy (aka brainwashing), not that violent video games merely fostered a negative social environment by directly promoting negative behaviors within their texts that, in a vacuum were fine, but compared to the larger sociopolitical environment they existed in weren't so great (stochastic terrorism/literally Feminist Frequency critique).

Trying to make this out into the same moral panic is absurd.
so you can confirm the discussion about the film isn't all about the tone-deaf themes, then?
No, but not because people have secret agendas to snatch an award-winning™ comic book movie away from you. It's because no one can actually talk about this film from a point of view that isn't glowing praise without someone coming in and labeling them an SJW, thereby forcing the conversation to lean into this absurd tangent that Joker is somehow the new battleground for free speech and the first amendment and the sanctity of art, and all that other sanctimonious bullshit fragile nerds lean into when vulnerable groups aren't all that excited about their shiny new toy.

I don't really buy that this is the issue at hand here (or even the distinction is meaningful) when there is a fever pitch around specifically this movie and the worry going around is that there will be a shooting.
Then we just agree to disagree on the observable fact that there is no huge social and political movement to get Joker banned I guess.

Deleted member 4552

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
User Warned: Hostility
16 pages.

Ain't got time for that.

Did resetera respond in a mature mentally balanced way?

Jan 10, 2018
I think he's right to be frustrated, and far versions of both sides should be reprimanded for negative behaviour, some of the attacks this movie has received is a bit over the top.

Who from the far left, has issued which criticism, which is as unacceptable as criticism from the far right, also known as white supremacists, fascists and sexists.

For once I wanna see the far left boogeyman correctly identified.

L Thammy

Spacenoid
Oct 25, 2017
Okay, so going off of this thread, I think I understand how American political positions are classified now.

Far right = Watches superhero movies and complains about them
Far left = Doesn't watch superhero movies and complains about them
Enlightened centrist = Watches superhero movies and gives them all five stars

Deleted member 39450

Banned
Feb 3, 2018
Boston, MA
Trying to make this out into the same moral panic is absurd.

Why?

Isn't that very similar to what the Joker criticisms are centered on: that he's presented as a sympathetic villain and that some people might be empowered by that viewpoint? That the film might be seen as condoning his violent acts?

Seems tangential at the very least...stunting empathy/eroding of social morals.

Akira86

Oct 25, 2017
Okay, so going off of this thread, I think I understand how American political positions are classified now.

Far right = Watches superhero movies and complains about them
Far left = Doesn't watch superhero movies and complains about them
Enlightened centrist = Watches superhero movies and gives them all five stars
you forgot the moderate middle, which apparently almost doesn't exist.

Status
Not open for further replies.