• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Chuck Noblet

Oct 27, 2017
There are plenty of people who have seen it and reported on it. I believe the script is out there as well
That's probably only like what, a couple hundred people? A thousand? It's really only been to film festivals so far.

The wider discussion will happen in October. This is all reacting to articles for the most part.

Border

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I think the level of "concern" surrounding this film has reached an absolutely absurd level. I don't really get the sense that it's being targeted by the "far left" though.

This feels more like some corny local news bullshit where they try to scare their audience into thinking that their kids are getting handed LSD temporary tattoos or introduced to Satanism by Dungeons & Dragons. Just some kind of weird self-perpetuating hysteria.

oledome

Oct 25, 2017
Your conflating critique on the topicality of the film with its actual merit and execution as a film.

we all know it's an Oscar bait movie. The director has pretty much admitted as such. That has nothing to do with why people are concerned.
To be fair to me you said critique of the movie, which one would take to mean what I figured, not least because there are people ITT calling the film bad, that's the conflation you're talking about and I'd call it deliberate and lazy. I think it's fine to be concerned about the themes even if they are well-trodden, but I don't agree with the lack of spared judgement.

Boiled Goose

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
Is the far left the one criticizing the movie???

Personally, I do find preemptive "what will the far right think" discourse incredibly annoying and unnecessary. It's like people are wishing for s tragedy. It also gives those idiots way too much power and constantly living in constant fear and worry is just terrible. People are doing this, but it's not the far left

Nepenthe

When the music hits, you feel no pain.
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
this on the other hand is predicated on the idea that a shooter once dyed his hair to look like the joker
It's predicated on the fact that it's a film starring an aggrieved white dude who gets revenge on society (and apparently courts a bunch of followers) via a bunch of violence in a time where governments the world over are stoking white male resentment for political gain.

But sure we can continue to act like this is only or primarily about Aurora, or that most of the people who don't care for Joker literally think the movie is going to magically brainwash someone into committing a mass shooting like the film is a Twilight Zone macguffin.

Glenn

Oct 27, 2017
I think the level of "concern" surrounding this film has reached an absolutely absurd level. I don't really get the sense that it's being targeted by the "far left" though.

This feels more like some corny local news bullshit where they try to scare their audience into thinking that their kids are getting handed LSD temporary tattoos or introduced to Satanism by Dungeons & Dragons. Just some kind of weird self-perpetuating hysteria.

Era has been panicking about this movie ever since the trailer released. The whole thing is so bizarre

Sanjuro

Oct 25, 2017
Massachusetts
It's predicated on the fact that it's a film starring an aggrieved white dude who gets revenge on society (and apparently courts a bunch of followers) via a bunch of violence in a time where governments the world over are stoking white male resentment for political gain.

But sure we can continue to act like this is only or primarily about Aurora, or that most of the people who don't care for Joker literally think the movie is going to magically brainwash someone into committing a mass shooting like the film is a Twilight Zone macguffin.

Suicide Squad?

electricblue

Oct 27, 2017

There's like a hundred movies that fit that description, they could be watching them on netflix right now, better stay indoors

Deepwater

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
To be fair to me you said critique of the movie, which one would take to mean what I figured, not least because there are people ITT calling the film bad, that's the conflation you're talking about and I'd call it deliberate and lazy. I think it's fine to be concerned about the themes even if they are well-trodden, but I don't agree with the lack of spared judgement.

I saw a handful of people (as in less than 5) expressing doubt about the quality of the movie. The worst I saw was "this movie is gonna be underwhelming"

The vast majority of people are the ones concerned about the themes.

Pandora012

Oct 25, 2017
The majority of the argument seems to be that Joker is tone-deaf in a time where white male rage is being actively stoked by international politics, not that it definitely will result in a mass shooting. Rather, it seems like the former is being equated with the latter in a vain attempt to compel disqualify the criticism outright.

The Aurora shooting is neither here nor there because that's not really the biggest point of contention. It's because the film stars an aggrieved white male as a protagonist who ultimately deals with society's unforgiving apathy by killing folks and presumably getting away with it/being worshipped for it, which is- like- the last thing I want to watch in the era of Trump where these kinds of identity politics can't be ignored anymore. The Aurora shooting is not here nor there for me, although I can understand why it would be for Aurora citizens.

I understand that it might not be here nor there for you, but there are people in this thread, and I imagine alot others that are thinking about it. And unfortunately due to false reports and lack of correct information, people are fearing something that was a random act of violence. I say random because it was only done there because he couldn't act on his airport plot, and it was due to the popularity of the franchise.

You cannot divorce this shooting from the buzz of this movie. Because literally every single piece of media always brings it up when talking about possible violence. Case in point the OP. And by doing that includes that extra level of fear. It's an easy go to for showing violence that could happen at the Joker movie.

I kinda wonder if people are focusing too much on the incel portions of it. But ignoring the poor vs rich portion of the story. Which is also why some may try to sympathize with the Joker. After all, it's something that has been seen many times in movies, and is understandable. Except here, it's the Joker who is leading/starting this revolution. He may have had a point in the beginning, but he deteriorates to someone that is a killer the villain. At the end of the day, it really depends on how this movie is laid out.

Last edited:
Oct 31, 2017

Nepenthe

Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
There's like a hundred movies that fit that description, they could be watching them on netflix right now, better stay indoors
The bolded is the exact kind of dismissive rhetoric that plays into my original post. People don't want to discuss how this particular film's themes are relevant to current society because they think it means someone is coming to take their comic book film away from them.

You mentioned Aurora.
Other people brought up Aurora for various reasons. My argument is actually that I don't think this film will result in a mass shooting. I just want to talk about why Joker seems wack.

Excuse you, that's academy award winning suicide squad 👌
😒

Last edited:

gozu

Oct 27, 2017
America
The part the thread is about is HORRIBLE, but I find it incredible that he thinks that this is a good defense :

He literally admits to not wanting to do a movie about the Joker here. He has no intrest at all in the character. Hard to take him or the movie seriously seeing this.
He still made a movie about a dude wearing clown attire going off the deep end and masterminding random mass killings and such.

I wouldn't take his words too literally here. Every director will have their own personal take on Joker.

electricblue

Oct 27, 2017
The bolded is the exact kind of dismissive rhetoric that plays into my original post. People don't want to discuss how this particular film's themes are relevant to current society because they think it means someone is coming to take their comic book film away from them.

i just don't see why these themes automatically makes the movie problematic, it could very well make the movie the greatest movie of the era
because
again
we haven't seen it

Solaris

Oct 27, 2017
I wonder why we never saw this level of concern about other movies with psychopathic white protagonists such as Nightcrawler

Deepwater

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
i just don't see why these themes automatically makes the movie problematic, it could very well make the movie the greatest movie of the era
because
again
we haven't seen it

so when a significant amount of people end up watching it and come to the same conclusion, where will you move the goalpost to?

the thing that really bothers me about the backlash to the backlash is really an exercise in wrongthink thats masquerading as a reaction to outrage culture.

Like it has been mentioned several times in the thread (and others) already, there is already a script (whether final or not) out there. There are leaked scenes, there are trailers. Not to mention, there are already several reviews out there that levy the same spirit of critiques about the topicality of the film, some of which speak to the execution.

It's not even a "hmm maybe, maybe not, we'll see" there are people who are legitimately outraged that people even dare to levy these concerns leading up to the movie. And then you do this gaslighting dance of "how do you know. how do you know" as if that couldn't be said about any discussion of any movie prior to its release.

I await when the movie comes out, and the goalposts turns to "well EYE didn't interpret the film this way, so YOU wrote the film off from the beginning".

stupei

Oct 26, 2017
I just don't understand why people are pretending that any concern about this at all is irrational.

I don't think most people are saying this movie will inspire someone who otherwise wouldn't to shoot people.

I think most people are saying: 1. the odds of there being a shooting in America every week are already really high; 2. some of the kinds of people who are already inclined to shoot and hurt strangers seem to also be the kind of people who find the Joker or any other "cool" villain aspirational; 3. the above combined provide a very tempting backdrop for pathetic people who want their attempt to hurt others to look deep; 4. a movie theater is one of the most terrifying places a shooting can take place because of how they are designed.

Seriously, as an American I already always check my exits when I go to the movies now and the reality is that a lot of theaters are designed so that you will be running toward your attacker if you need to escape.

Like would the people who are pretending there's zero reason to even consider it also go to New Year's Eve on Times Square and not even eyeball a good route out? Seriously?

I wonder why we never saw this level of concern about other movies with psychopathic white protagonists such as Nightcrawler

Maybe compare the box office take of the two films?

Keldroc

Oct 27, 2017
He could not more obviously confirm that he made this movie by aping Scorsese and other filmmakers without putting an ounce of thought into the actual content of what he was making. But then, this kind of behavior from the guy who made The Hangover 2, one of the most hateful films I've ever had the displeasure of watching since Very Bad Things, probably shouldn't surprise me.

I feel bad for Joaquin, who clearly puts thought and heart into everything he does, being tethered to this toxic clown for what should have been a triumphant moment in his career.

Nightcrawler certainly doesn't. Nor does a film like American Psycho.

Nightcrawler, maybe, but American Psycho absolutely does. What the hell?

Deleted member 39450

User requested account closure
Banned
Feb 3, 2018
Boston, MA
A sensible filmmaker(like Scorsese) draws clear moral lines in his movies with such characters. The question is, does this movie?

Morally ambiguous characters/stories are bad now?

Well shit, if that's true Hollywood is about to a golden age of boooooorrring. I think most already people have a well-developed moral compass and don't need filmmakers to a plant a flag pointing to what's good and what's bad.

electricblue

Oct 27, 2017
User Warned: Antagonizing members.
so when a significant amount of people end up watching it and come to the same conclusion, where will you move the goalpost to?

the thing that really bothers me about the backlash to the backlash is really an exercise in wrongthink thats masquerading as a reaction to outrage culture.

Like it has been mentioned several times in the thread (and others) already, there is already a script (whether final or not) out there. There are leaked scenes, there are trailers. Not to mention, there are already several reviews out there that levy the same spirit of critiques about the topicality of the film, some of which speak to the execution.

It's not even a "hmm maybe, maybe not, we'll see" there are people who are legitimately outraged that people even dare to levy these concerns leading up to the movie. And then you do this gaslighting dance of "how do you know. how do you know" as if that couldn't be said about any discussion of any movie prior to its release.

I await when the movie comes out, and the goalposts turns to "well EYE didn't interpret the film this way, so YOU wrote the film off from the beginning".

i'm probably not even going to watch this movie lol I just think its funny how scared yall are of it

Chuck Noblet

Oct 27, 2017

Other people brought up Aurora for various reasons. My argument is actually that I don't think this film will result in a mass shooting. I just want to talk about why Joker seems wack.

😒
😉

The short and long answer is because this film has one of the most famous characters in fiction as the central figure. They could have literally copied Nightcrawler note for note and beat for beat on this film and this would still garner at least ten times the discussion because that specific character is in this. Honestly, even if you did Taxi Driver today as if it was a brand new film and still had Scorsese directing it, it wouldn't garner nearly as much commentary online because Travis Bickle isn't Joker.

Nepenthe

Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
So is the concern about this movie; it's just not PC to say because it's against white men. All this concern trolling is just fear mongering mainstream media agenda to make people hate white men.

/s of course but I don't doubt that's how a decent amount of the "all censorship is bad even though this isn't being censored" crowd feels
Holy shit elegant, you had me at first.
because
again
we haven't seen it
I guarantee you this is not gonna be anywhere close to the greatest film of all time.

Second, we've had script leaks, reviews, and early impressions talk about it. People are already spoiler-tagging stuff. Acting like we can't talk about anything in unreleased media in the age of the internet is preposterous.

I again bring up that Trump voters movie- the one that got canned before anyone saw it due to backlash over its concept and leaked script. Where were y'all then?

Biggersmaller

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Minneapolis
He has a point.

Many on the left are comfortable with WB being disingenuously "asked" to pay a sort of indulgence - that to avoid a PR shit storm, Todd Phillip's really has to prove his film does not support MAGA incel murders. That they should just give money to the victims of a crime Joker had nothing to do with.

Verelios

Oct 26, 2017
The most you could say is that the far left are concern trolling. Not advocating violence and not being hateful already make them dissimilar. I can see why he's saying this but the irony is right there.

Oct 26, 2017
He's right in the sense that people are projecting their opinions on something we haven't seen and don't know much about to try to make a point. Maybe that point will be valid once we see it, or maybe it will all be overblown.

stupei

Oct 26, 2017
He has a point.

Many on the left are comfortable with WB being disingenuously "asked" to pay a sort of indulgence - that to avoid a PR shit storm, Todd Phillip's really has to prove his film does not support MAGA incel murders. That they should just give money to the victims of a crime Joker had nothing to do with.

WB are the ones who chose to market their movie about a psychopathic murderer who uses a gun in 2019 by ending the trailer with epic shots of him looking cool strutting down the hall and dancing down the steps. If they didn't want people to infer a certain tone from that, they should probably fire their marketing team.

Film is a visual medium and people can only react to the material they chose to provide.

Don't even have to compare the box office, one is taking the likeness of one of pop culture's greatest villains of all time. The other is a damn indie film.

Yeah, that's what I meant really. "Why wasn't there a similar outrage over a movie the majority of people have never heard of?"

Kurdel

Nov 7, 2017
When you boths sides criticism because people are mean to your clown movie XD

"it was eye opening", this man will have his own castle is Kekistan before the end of the year.

'Look at this as a way to sneak a real movie in the studio system under the guise of a comic book film'. It wasn't, 'We want to glorify this behavior.' It was literally like 'Let's make a real movie with a real budget and we'll call it f–ing Joker'. That's what it was. "

Look at this guerrila artist dunking on nerd movies lol

oledome

Oct 25, 2017
I saw a handful of people (as in less than 5) expressing doubt about the quality of the movie. The worst I saw was "this movie is gonna be underwhelming"

The vast majority of people are the ones concerned about the themes.
We've mostly been going in circles about Todds words, which was the point of the OP (and for the record those are some pretty dumb things to say) but people are certainly writing the film off. Hey, they could be right, I don't know I haven't seen it yet.

"At this point they should just go full We Live In A Society and start marketing the movie directly to the alt-right. Take the mask off, you're not fooling anyone."
"Man, this movie is gonna be really underwhelming isnt it?"
"this dude is so far up his own ass about a movie that's gonna be overrated as shit for no reason other than its a "joker" movie (excuse me "a REAL movie"), ripping off tons of other better films."
"I was starting to really not like this movie after watching the leaked clips and this guy certainly isn't helping."
"Kind of tanks my expectations if that's how the director is coming at it"
"Fuck this movie, and fuck Todd Phillips."
"Well that's one less ticket sale from me. That quote is horrendous."
"also this movie is gonna suck lmao"
"Studio never should've signed off on this shit."

Hasseigaku

Oct 30, 2017
He has a point.

Not that I necessarily support this but is it actually that terrible for a corporation to be asked to donate money to victims?

The left wing is bad because they want victims of crime to get more money? What?

Biggersmaller

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Minneapolis
People's fears are hilarious. Got it.

Some are so
WB are the ones who chose to market their movie about a psychopathic murderer who uses a gun in 2019 by ending the trailer with epic shots of him looking cool strutting down the hall and dancing down the steps. If they didn't want people to infer a certain tone from that, they should probably fire their marketing team.

Film is a visual medium and people can only react to the material they chose to provide.

Yeah, that's what I meant really. "Why wasn't there a similar outrage over a movie the majority of people have never heard of?"

This takes me back to Doom and Columbine. Mortal Kombat and my parents.

Joker is glorified in marketing because the disturbing is interesting, it's macabre - it's also fiction. People are drawn to it because it's not real and they want to see what drives this crazy character.

TBF it's been quite awhile since I've seen it, but the thing that stands out the most in my memory is the horrific violence towards women.
The whole of American Psycho is basically one long "fuck you" to mediocre white men of privilege abusing their position with how insignificant Bateman is portrayed as by the end. Hell, you don't even need to know ahead of time that a woman directed the film to see just how skewering that film is with regards to toxic masculinity with how buffoonish Bateman gets throughout.

Status
Not open for further replies.