• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Ocean Bones

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
So even more computer generated quests, Fallout 4 style loot and locations. And even dumber downed skillz.

Moding community is hopefully as fire as skyrim though. But Beth is gonna do their best to kill that shit too and get their cut.

Orbit

Banned
Nov 21, 2018
I have lost faith in Howard. The man seems pretty cool and is obviously a great creator in video games. But it just really, really rubs me the wrong way when he comes out to the previous E3 cracking jokes.That's would've been fine if Fallout 76 didn't come out and be in the shape it was - lack of content and super buggy - and also the whole thing of Bethesda cheating people out of their ultimate collector's edition bag. The entire ordeal just seemed scummy and made him comments at E3 make him look more like a wise-cracking smart ass than a good humored game developer. I am pulling for him and Bethesda game studios though. But I will only believe with my eyes and not my ears from hear on. Todd Howard is the face of Bethesda Game Studios and obviously a very, very important person within the company. He put the jokes/his reputation out there and it all back fired.

Deleted member 7883

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm curious as to how many years of playtime Skyrim was made for. Without comparisons to previous elderscrolls games and how many years of play they were made for, this already pointless hype comment becomes even more pointless.

Villein

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Well with Backwards compatibility likely becoming a staple next gen, no reason why not. Keep playing forever with mods on PS6

Puffy

Banned
Dec 15, 2017
I hope he ain't talking about a fetch quests generator. How many times are you gonna break my heart here Todd?

eXistor

Oct 27, 2017
For real ...
I've NEVER seen so much hate toward them than on this forum.
It would almost make you forget that their games are praised by the critics, the players, and the industry (recently, Aonuma stated that Skyrim was one of the main inspiration for BOTW)
It's not even since Fallout 76, even before that this forum was shitting on Oblivion, Skyrim and Fallout 4.
You're free to like them just as much as I'm allowed to dislike them. I think they're shallow, repetitive, mediocre games at best and I fail to see why people praise them when in my eyes they're obviously not well designed in many ways. That millions of people do like them to me just proves that they're products made for the undiscerning masses. Sorry if that comes off as pretentious and elitist, but it's how I see it.

UnNamed

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Skyrim is an undoubtedly good game, but I played the Switch version, the third release for this game, and it still have bugs reported in 2012!

skeezx

Oct 27, 2017
i think he just means it'll be bigger than skyrim. add some DLC and mods yeah you'll get about 5-10 years out of it

Detective Pidgey

Alt Account
Banned
Jun 4, 2019
He also again mentions tech, like he did last E3. I wonder if he means a heavily upgraded creation engine or something like that. We already know Starfield will make use of the new animation system.

Oct 30, 2017
Canada
The only way this would be true would be if it's a GaaS. It's too costly to make a game as large as the previous ES with a modern graphics engine, so this smells like bullshit. Unless he's expecting modders to be mostly responsible for said "longevity".

Aaron D.

Oct 25, 2017
You're free to like them just as much as I'm allowed to dislike them. I think they're shallow, repetitive, mediocre games at best and I fail to see why people praise them when in my eyes they're obviously not well designed in many ways. That millions of people do like them to me just proves that they're products made for the undiscerning masses. Sorry if that comes off as pretentious and elitist, but it's how I see it.

What's funny is I don't think anyone would begrudge your opinion if you and like 5 other regulars didn't go around every BGS thread with the sole intention of shitting it up with the same tired "BGS sucks!" shtick.

Every time I see a BGS thread on Era I can count on you being there telling everyone how horrible the studio is and how the fans are undiscerning sheep.

Like, hate on 'em all you want. Start a club. Just do it on your own time and stop lowering the quality of every BGS thread you enter. Your posts on this topic are unproductive and trolly.

Revali

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Rito Village
We're going to be talking about the PS6 by the time this game releases, no doubt. I'm really hoping the new Fable game is Elder Scrolls-ish so that the 15 year wait since Skyrim can feel shorter, because no one else makes the types of games that BGS does.

zombiejames

Oct 25, 2017
So they're either going back to creating deep, immersive RPGs with enough content and replayability to keep players engaged with multiple playthroughs, or they're going forward with whatever the fuck they're doing now.

I wonder which direction Todd will go.

Oct 26, 2017
From a personal standpoint, it's insane that I'm not even remotely enthused by a new Elder Scrolls game. Oblivion then Skyrim were a huge deal to me but I just have no faith in Bethesda to deliver a worthy product nowadays.

rafiki

Alt account
Banned
May 18, 2019
what are these comments about lies on first page? am i missing something?

Van Bur3n

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
what are these comments about lies on first page? am i missing something?

It is a meme regarding Todd Howard's tendency to exaggerate certain aspects of his game that do not necessarily come to fruition in the final product. The meme has become a bit of an exaggeration itself as well, but there is some truth to it.

Glass Arrows

Jan 10, 2019
People have mentioned this in part already, but: I think it's worth noting that the "mods will make this game worth playing" narrative is a bit overstated when it comes to the reasons people buy these games. From what I recall a ton of Skyrim's sales were on console, where no mods are available.

Most people don't give a shit about how buggy or unpolished it was, as can be seen by them continuing to buy it on Switch.

rafiki

Alt account
Banned
May 18, 2019
"don't believe his lies" todd has been a meme since the hype for Fallout 4 died down I believe?

It is a meme regarding Todd Howard's tendency to exaggerate certain aspects of his game that do not necessarily come to fruition in the final product. The meme itself has become a bit exaggerated as well, but there is some truth to it.

ya but this statement isn't even that absurd. Skyrim is still being played and supported in all new systems. Its been almost 10 years I believe.

OrdinaryPrime

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
People are still playing Skyrim to this day. I don't disbelieve this, as long as the mod scene is as good as it is for Skyrim.

Mr.Deadshot

Oct 27, 2017
I am pretty sure they will deliver with TES6. It's their flagship franchise and they took their time with it. Can't wait to see more. And the 10 years stuff isn't so far off. People still play, mod and love Morrowind, Oblivion and Skyrim. Maybe it just means that the game will be mod-friendly again?

Muffin

Oct 26, 2017
Are people having trouble reading the actual quote in the OP or why are half of the posts here being this dumb?

Savinowned

Oct 25, 2017
Nashville, TN
Interesting to see how the conversation has changed post Fallout 76. I think his quote is a given though considering how much people still play Skyrim (though of course that's because of mods). As a mainly console gamer though, I'm still pretty pumped to play ESVI on PS6 this 2025

leder_

Nov 22, 2017
so GaaS is confirmed? will probably be barebones at launch, going by the recent record

Oct 25, 2017
Cincinnati
In his defense I still haven't gotten my platinum trophy in Skyrim and it will probably be more than 10 years from launch when I finally do.

But seriously if this means it's a GaaS, I'm out.