• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

vestan

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Dec 28, 2017

Per GamesRadar

22c3bb2c-1c63-4775-b913-75d8aba4d6e2_ToddHoward.jpg

When people see Elder Scrolls 6 they'll understand why it took so long, Todd Howard says

Elder Scrolls 6 is still a long way off, with Bethesda's sci-fi project Starfield yet to come before it arrives. When the new Elder Scrolls finally does get here, it will be here to stay for at least as long as Skyrim, Bethesda Game Studios director Todd Howard confirmed in a recent interview.

Asked by IGN about the likely decade-plus gap between Skyrim and Elder Scrolls 6, Howard first pointed to Elder Scrolls Online and praised its developers at Zenimax Online Studios. "It's not that we're not feeding high-quality Elder Scrolls to people," Howard countered, before admitting he knows many people are hungrier than ever for a new trip to Tamriel via the unique sort of open-world RPG that Bethesda Game Studios creates.

"They want a certain type of experience that is very, um, it's what we've done," Howard said. "You can pick up this water bottle, you can do X, Y, and Z. Things that we love. The gap in between is obviously going to be long, it already is. On one hand, I think it's good to miss things. I think that makes people come to it with really fresh eyes. And I think when they eventually see the game and what we have in mind, they'll understand the gap more in terms of technology and what we want it to do.

"The one thing [the gap] does is people are still playing Skyrim, it's still one of the best-selling games. I know people joke about it online, but it's one of the best-selling games on Switch. Anything we put it out on, it becomes a hit game. And they love it, they still play it, it's almost infinitely playable, all of the mods and everything like that. And we're 8 years post-Skyrim. It lets us know going into Elder Scrolls 6 that this is a game we need to design for people to play for a decade at least, at least."

I can see the memes about playing Elder Scrolls 6 on your PS7 and flying car heads-up display now. But Howard's right - if everybody really was sick of Skyrim, people wouldn't still be buying it almost 8 years later. Assuming Elder Scrolls 6 lives up to its predecessor, there's no reason to think people will tire of it any more quickly.

Just like any other BGS game then. All this talk of it being something else certainly does excite me but we won't be seeing this game for another 5 years at the minimum. I'm more interested in Starfield right now especially considering it'll most likely be one of the first true next-gen titles to really take advantage of the hardware and not be bogged down by 2012 APUs.

Dest

Has seen more 10s than EA ever will
Coward
Jun 4, 2018
Work
Ok so I can play everything Bethesda puts into it over the course of a couple of weeks, then I can replay it over and over and over again and then can rely on mods to give me content.

Nothing new.

N7_Kovalski

Oct 28, 2017
Hopefully this doesn't mean they are doubling down on those terrible radiant quests they had in Fallout 4 to try and extend the life of the game.

BlazeHedgehog

Oct 27, 2017
I mean I recently went back to Skyrim last week and I've put 120 hours in to that game and have still barely scratched the main story quests. I've owned the game since 2014. It came out in, what, 2011?

I'd believe it.

Kalentan

Oct 25, 2017
Honestly if we're going to be honest I can see it. Reading the article he clearly wants people to keep playing it like they do Skyrim. Like Skyrim is still really popular. Doesn't mean it going to be a GaaS or something.

Gaz

Oct 27, 2017
UK
Remember when Todd Howard used to be cool and not just a spin doctor? Zzzzz

-Tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
Oct 26, 2017
Modern maniacs will do everything in a week then complain about the bad endgame.

SaberVS7

Oct 25, 2017
Well, should be a pretty easy feat if it takes them another decade to start developing TES7 :V

Taker34

QA Tester
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
building stone people
TES is all I need honestly. Like GTA it's becoming one of those rare events every 10 years or so. I wish these studios could pump out a Skyrim or GTA V every 5 years but that's modern game development nowadays I guess. :(

OP
OP
vestan

vestan

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Dec 28, 2017

Sanox

Oct 25, 2017
This will happen regardless as long as they don't in any shape or form try to control or limit how people can mod the game

ChrisJSY

Oct 29, 2017
I mean I recently went back to Skyrim last week and I've put 120 hours in to that game and have still barely scratched the main story quests. I've owned the game since 2014. It came out in, what, 2011?

I'd believe it.

When devs/pubs go out of their way to try do something like this I'm always sceptical because in the games I've played it has almost always failed.
Trying to push a gaas service to last x years, building a game touting it as the next big esports etc...

Generally, it happens the other way around; a good game is good because people like it, usually can be modded for longevity, or is just that good for competition. You don't try force it on people, they decide it.

It better have mod support.

8byte

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt-account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Kansas
Will buy this game when it hits the bargain bin. Got burned on Oblivion, Fallout, & Skyrim on PS3 and didn't learn my lesson. FO76 was more than enough to convince me the studio doesn't deserve money until they scale back their ambitions and deliver functioning games. I'll believe it when I see it.

Sparkedglory2

Nov 3, 2017
I have no faith in Howard. I don't believe what he says. I'm sure the game will be good, but I just don't trust that man.

Jag

Oct 26, 2017
Elder Scrolls Blades is not actually bad for a mobile game. Only one I've ever played regularly. The micro transactions are really not bad. I'm halfway to max level without spending anything.