• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

jstevenson

Developer at Insomniac Games
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Burbank CA
Jeopardy makes so much money that James didn't really effect it. The ratings boosts would be worth every extra prize dollar spent.

Lots of really bad Jeopardy takes in this thread.

His coryat score was still way higher than Emma's, the Daily Doubles, and the third place player hoovering 11k off the board, were the real killers for him today.

Oct 25, 2017
His coryat score was still way higher than Emma's
Can you share it here? Can't remember the site

Is there a single game where he had a lower coryat score but only won because of DDs?

Not only did they have 3 smart players who got almost every question right, but they were beating him to the buzzer. Ultimately that has to be the biggest factor. Timing the buzz in was James best skill.
I'm sure it went both ways. At the very least James and Emma were both very quick. But being quick doesn't matter if you don't know your trivia, have a good strategy, or sometimes have a bit of luck on your side.

Last edited:
Nov 27, 2017
His coryat score was still way higher than Emma's, the Daily Doubles, and the third place player hoovering 11k off the board, were the real killers for him today.

Yeah, you could kind of see that it was a possibility as the game went on. Both opponents were getting buzzers in and accumulating some money. He missed the daily doubles. I feel like the single biggest thing James had going was having the buzzer timing down while the other two new people were getting acclimated. Both of the opponents this time were beating him to the punch early enough to prevent him from accumulating a big lead.

jstevenson

Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Burbank CA
Yeah, you could kind of see that it was a possibility as the game went on. Both opponents were getting buzzers in and accumulating some money. He missed the daily doubles. I feel like the single biggest thing James had going was having the buzzer timing down while the other two new people were getting acclimated. Both of the opponents this time were beating him to the punch early enough to prevent him from accumulating a big lead.

DD1 being the first clue, his opponents being good and getting in a little bit more than usual (and knowing all of the ones he didn't, save the single question on the board that went unanswered), all were factors. Emma also doubled up to retake the lead early in DJ... she was down by 5k at that point, if James finds the DD he's got it.

lazybones18

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Emma isn't one and done like Nancy Zerg at least. Loved the clean sweep of the bible category in the first round by starting at the bottom

Instro

Oct 25, 2017
She's good, but definitely faltered after a hot start. I could see her being around for a little bit though.

alr1ght

Oct 25, 2017
I loved that little sneer she gave Alex after he suggested she learned something from James' play.

Elderly Parrot

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Aug 13, 2018
Dude had it shouldn't have bet so much on that second daily double and would have won

jstevenson

Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Burbank CA
More like tournament of gods.

nah that'll happen afterwards.

traditional Tournament of Champions... then they'll do the inevitable Jennings / Rutter / Holzhauer showdown. Honestly they could do 2 full weeks of that and it'd be must see TV. They finally have a worthy third to just do a full-on drag-out knock-down Jeopardy championship series.

Deleted member 48897

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 22, 2018
Trying to find the clip of him introducing the female authors (or women authors?) category a while back with the delightfully microaggressive "Hm, I can think of a few"

HStallion

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
any other evidence of this other than him saying she learned something from another contestant who happens to be a man (which isn't sexist)

Trebek has always been kind of a dick. It's more just subtle barbs about people's performance or picking on something weird about some particular contestant then being in your face about it.

Cels

Oct 26, 2017
Yup. she never even saw James wager. He got DD1 on Clue 1, and only could do 1000.

She had never seen one of his previous games. She did all the other DDs in the only game of his.

yea imagine getting introduced to the 32-time champion as you're getting ready to play in the first taping of the day
i'd probably piss my pants

Baladium

Banned
Apr 18, 2018
Sleep Deprivation Zone
Wait, so Emma already lost? lol I was already annoyed that she beat James, but at least she could've went on a streak of her own. It sucks when a long-reigning champion goes down and then the new victor leaves almost immediately afterwards...

Oct 25, 2017
I loved that little sneer she gave Alex after he suggested she learned something from James' play.
Trebek's casual and subtle sexism is the worst thing about the show. Good on her
Trebek is sometimes a little bit patronizing/sexist to women contestants. My wife and I often talk about it, but we both felt this instance was innocent enough. James had dominated the show for, what, two months? And this was moments after he'd been eliminated. Perfectly understandable that it would take more than a couple minutes to emerge from his shadow. You'd expect that comment were it a male contestant, too.

Deleted member 23850

Oct 28, 2017
Did anyone watch tonight's Jeopardy game?

That was one of the shittiest games I've seen in a long time. And the Champ is an obnoxious douche bag. Such a punchable face.