• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

jstevenson

Developer at Insomniac Games
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Burbank CA
That's true, however if you come up against someone with 10+ wins and over a million dollar winnings it's pretty clear how they play. As you said, if Nate went for it with his daily double he would have beat James.

Yeah but there's just no way. You're in the studio for the first time, lights on you, and he's ripping off 1000 dollar clues before you have a chance to learn the buzzer timing.

At least getting to watch a few games let's you consider it. I really think the Mon/Tues players are at gigantic disadvantages against him until next season, beyond just the normal returning champion advantage

Lump

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
This is a guy who studied a literal book on the best way to press the buzzer when playing on Jeopardy. The only one who can beat James is James. Statistically, he's eventually going to lose a Daily Double or Final Jeopardy when it really counts and that will be that. But his trivia knowledge is so tremendous that it may still be a long while.

dead souls

Oct 25, 2017
This is a guy who studied a literal book on the best way to press the buzzer when playing on Jeopardy. The only one who can beat James is James. Statistically, he's eventually going to lose a Daily Double or Final Jeopardy when it really counts and that will be that. But his trivia knowledge is so tremendous that it may still be a long while.
Yep. Nobody will defeat him, but he will eventually lose. He's amazing.

Deleted member 23850

Oct 28, 2017
I can't believe they interviewed fucking WACO for one of the Clues Across Texas questions.

lazybones18

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I feel like a total dunce for not figuring out Final Jeopardy. Only $59k for James today. Inching ever closer to Ken's winning total

Arkeband

Banned
Nov 8, 2017
That's cool and all but last week Wheel of Fortune had this moment:

BB2GhNZ_d.jpg

Baladium

Banned
Apr 18, 2018
Sleep Deprivation Zone
Now watch as that chick loses the very next game.
If people keep posting in this thread with spoiler tags, that could ironically become a spoiler in itself since it'll be obvious something major happened. lol

Jogi

Prophet of Regret
Jul 4, 2018
Now watch as that chick loses the very next game.
If people keep posting in this thread with spoiler tags, that could ironically become a spoiler in itself. lol
If the leak is true, super odd that he bet soooo little on final Jeopardy. Ending wouldn't have mattered since the other contestant bet enough to where he wouldn't catch her. But super out of character to bet essentially nothing at the end.

Deleted member 23850

Oct 28, 2017

Fuck the NY Post for bringing attention to the person who spoiled it. Also, why the fuck did you post the article itself and perpetuate what they are doing?

Edit: Now Brobible is doing it. Fucking assholes.

Last edited:

Baladium

Banned
Apr 18, 2018
Sleep Deprivation Zone
If the leak is true, super odd that he bet soooo little on final Jeopardy. Ending wouldn't have mattered since the other contestant bet enough to where he wouldn't catch her. But super out of character to bet essentially nothing at the end.

Agreed, it's really strange for sure, especially when he was so close to the all-time winnings record.

I've never heard of there being precedent for fake Jeopardy leaks before, and I doubt they'd purposefully stage this...

Elderly Parrot

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Aug 13, 2018
He knew she was going to bet big and beat him if they both got it right so his only hope was she misses it and then not let the third contestant catch up from behind if the third contestant bet it all

Cels

Oct 26, 2017
If true Jeopardy will not be boring anymore.

i prefer to watch the best players play, and judging from the increased ratings this run, people seem to agree with me

but yes it is boring when one player is so dominant over the others and the game is basically over at the start of the double jeopardy round...it becomes more about whether james can outdo himself

alr1ght

Oct 25, 2017
These crazy runs happen so rarely, you just have to appreciate them as they're going. The show has been on 35+ years and there's very few dominant runs. Appreciate greatness.

jstevenson

Developer at Insomniac Games
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Burbank CA
These crazy runs happen so rarely, you just have to appreciate them as they're going. The show has been on 35+ years and there's very few dominant runs. Appreciate greatness.

Well until 11-12 years ago the rules capped you at 5 wins.

Crazily enough Holzhauer's assumed win percentage was around 97%, so of course he lose right around game 33.

Deleted member 23850

Oct 28, 2017
Don't worry, this Emma chick will lose next game and be the next Nancy Zerg.

Shroki

Oct 27, 2017
i prefer to watch the best players play, and judging from the increased ratings this run, people seem to agree with me

but yes it is boring when one player is so dominant over the others and the game is basically over at the start of the double jeopardy round...it becomes more about whether james can outdo himself

Most of Jeopardy's entertainment value to me comes from playing along.

When a contestant like James is going, it's about playing along & watching something special happen.

Poltergust

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Orlando, FL
Unexpected side effect of James (possibly):

As of today Wheel of Fortune has had 20 straight bonus round losses. The previous record was 14.
I'm confused about how this is related. Does the network go "oh man, we're losing so much money on this James guy, we better make the bonus round for Wheel of Fortune extremely hard to compensate" or something?

Shaymin

Oct 25, 2017
Halifax, Nova Scotia
Not the network, but Wheel and Jeopardy are produced by the same company. And James is such a black swan event that they seemingly had to make up his winnings somehow.

Instro

Oct 25, 2017
Don't worry, this Emma chick will lose next game and be the next Nancy Zerg.
To be fair, we don't know how this game was lost yet. I mean Nancy Zerg beat Ken because he completely blew the game, missing daily doubles and the final Jeopardy. It's completely possible that James was just outplayed, rather than beating himself as Ken did.

Cels

Oct 26, 2017
Not the network, but Wheel and Jeopardy are produced by the same company. And James is such a black swan event that they seemingly had to make up his winnings somehow.

doubt it. not like wheel of fortune suddenly got harder while ken jennings was winning 34k a game for 74 games